z

Young Writers Society

Hola!

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 am
Sixteen Candles says...

Apologies for the title - I can be a little random sometimes.

Hey everyone, my name's Maddy, I'm 13 (turning 14 in about a week :)) and I love writing. I only really write fanfiction, though I've had an original story in the works for a long time (just never really got around to working on it more xD). When I write, I need to listen to music to give me inspiration. I tend to have headphones in my ears about 90% of my waking hours, actually :D Punk rock is love.

I love to write fantasy, usually involving the supernatural. I don't really believe in anything I can't see so I guess it lets me imagine what it would be like. Two of my favourite shows are Ghost Whisperer and Supernatural, too. I love Twilight (my addiction is unhealthy :shock:), Harry Potter (which I've recently re-discovered) and some other, lesser-known series.

Anyways. Hope to meet some new people here and hang out!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:49 am
Hannah says...

Hey, Maddy! Welcome to YWS and happy early birthday~ You're moving further and further away from being a non-teenager. Hehehe~

Before I get too carried away with chit chat, I'm just going to remind you of a few of the site rules that you probably already read when you signed up.

Be SURE to follow the 2:1 ratio when you review or post work. For every piece you post to be reviewed, you should review two pieces from other members. This way, we keep the circle of reviews flowing so that no piece goes uncritiqued. On that note, if you end up posting a piece that doesn't get as much attention, you should head over to the Will Review For Food sub-forum and post information about your piece on a few threads.

Another rule is that we avoid chat speak on this website. It's only logical considering it's a writing website, correct? But this rule is the same when you go into the chat room, too. If you haven't checked out the chat room, you should stop by and say hi!

And finally, when you end up posting your work, be sure to give it a rating. Unrated works won't show up on the front page of the website as recently posted works. Also, you must rate the piece for content. If it includes graphic violence, it'll have to be PG-13 or R, and any works containing a lot of swearing should be rated R so the words don't appear on the front page for younger members to see.

But enough about the rules {because I'm sure a few more members will stop by and add some more reminders}. I admire the fact that you write fan fiction. I've never been comfortable enough with a book I read to try to preserve the characters and continue the story for myself -- I couldn't imagine doing that on a regular basis.

What are some of the lesser known series that you enjoyed? I'm sure if you name them off, someone else will probably have heard of them.

Anyways, if you have ANY questions at all, feel free to drop me a PM, okay? Again, welcome to YWS!

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 pm
Mira says...

Hiyas, Maddy! Welcome to YWS!

Hannah was right when she said somebody else was going to come by and add to the rules. :lol: But I'm just going to tell you about the colors on members' names. ^-^

Black - Regular members
Blue - Greeters. They let all the new members have a warm, warm welcome.
Purple - Instructors. They are the best critiquers on the site and help everyone improve in their writing skills.
Green - Moderators. Light greens are juniors while dark green means they are moderators of the fullest extent.
Red - Administration. :)

Anyway, let's move away from that boring talk and back to you. :)

Fanfiction is amazing and always fun to read. And I know it takes a lot of work. You have to keep the characters the same while adding your own twist. It's super cool that you write this. ^-^

So, then, I'm suspecting Stephenie Meyer or J. K. Rowling is your favorite author?

Well, apart from all of that, what's your favorite animal? Your favorite food?

PM me if you need any help or just feel like chatting. :)

Smiles!
~Mira
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:40 pm
bludragon525 says...

Hey Maddy! Welcome to the wacky world of YWS!!!

Punk rock, huh? I usually listen to alternative. What's your favorite band?

Okay, I'm going to simplify the rules for you so it won't seem so complicated. It's very simple actually.

1) 2:1 ratio. That basically means that you have to submit 2 reviews for every story/poem that to post. Reviews are generally three lines long.
2) NO CAPS OR CHAT-SPEAK. Please. They do nothing except give people headaches.
3) Rate your work! (ex: R would be a piece that contains swearing, etc.)
4) Have fun! I hope you get as addicted to this site as I have.

Um, yeah. That's about it.

Moving on.

Tell us about yourself. Favorite color? Flavor of ice cream? Hobbies besides writing and music?

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!

See ya around.

zOe :smt043
Help! I can't remember if I'm the evil twin or the good one!

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 am
mizz-iceberg says...

Welcome aboard, Maddy! What's up?

Everyone's pretty much explained the basic rules, but if you have questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

Harry Potter's awesome! We have a fan fic forum, so be sure to review other works, and post your own in that section. So, tell us a bit more about yourself. What is your favorite genre to read? To write? Like Hannah asked, what other series do you like?

I understand you like punk rock, but what about your favorite bands and singers?

Be sure to check out the help and support section if you haven't already.

See you around!

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:45 am
Sixteen Candles says...

Thanks for being so welcoming, everyone! I'll be sure to follow the rules of the site.

Hannah - Thank you for the birthday wishes! Personally, I'm more comfortable writing fan fiction than my own stories, mainly because I already have the characters and general 'rules' of the world the story is set in laid out for me. It's great how many different styles and opinions on writing, that's why I love it!
Some of the lesser-known series and books I enjoy are the Inheritance trilogy (Christopher Paolini), His Dark Materials series (Philip Pullman), Nightmare Academy series (Dean Lorey), The Key To Rondo (Emily Rodda), The Merlin Conspiracy (Diana Wynne Jones), Magyk (Angie Sage), Inkheart (Cornelia Funke) and the Immortals series (Alyson Noel). I could go on forever, really. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Mira - Thanks for the information about the names, I haven't come across that before. I would say, though I like the Twilight series more than the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling is my favourite author. Favourite animal would have to be a cat, and favourite food is tacos or Mexican in general. Again, thanks for the welcome ^-^

bludragon525 - Thanks, alternative is a great genre too. I'd say Fall Out Boy is my favourite band; they have been for a few years. Haha, favourite colour is blue, ice-cream is chocolate and other hobbies...I own a motorbike and I love to go out riding as much as I can. Oddly enough, I get inspiration easily when I'm out in the country. Thank you!

mizz-iceburg - Thank you :) Favourite genre to read and write is fantasy. I know it's a broad term, but I'll read almost all fantasy - be it dragons, werewolves, ghosts...I'm pretty much open to anything. Aside from Fall Out Boy, I like bands and artists along the lines of Paramore, Taylor Swift, P!nk, Boys Like Girls, Flyleaf, Short Stack, The Cab, Four Years Strong, Kelly Clarkson and Linkin Park. I'll be sure to check out the help and support, thank you!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 am
WaterVyper says...

Hello Maddy! It's great to meet you.

Inkheart? Really? If you'd met me a couple of months ago, I'd be crazy about it. I still am, really. Just have other things to occupy my mind at the moment. I can't say I've heard about the other series (except the Inheritance and His Dark Materials, which are a bit of a pain to read through) though will have to try them sometime.

And you can ride motorbikes? I envy you; I can't even ride a regular bike. My brother has been pestering me to try riding bikes, but I can't manage it. Do you have any favorite places when you're going out?

I see you have a good taste for rock music. My dad insists on being old fashioned and calling it 'infernal racket'. I don't know anyone who uses those words anymore, though it seems to have stuck with me. Now, whenever I hear a truly horrendous sound (brothers singing, for example) I call it an infernal racket. It can be kind of embarrassing at times.

Well, you're sure to fit right in. I'd suggest to go up to the top of the page, click the icon marked 'groups'. If you go poking around there, I'm sure you'll find a bunch of groups that suit your interests. Some may be... I don't know... the Hogwarts Express, Alice Cullen Knows your Every Move, A World Inside a Book, or Fantasy Fools. There are a lot more, but I've looked into some of your interests.

Well, I hope to see you around sometime, Maddy. If you ever need anything, you can PM me. I hope to see you around the forums sometime.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

Salve! (Hello in Latin) I am SimonCowellLuver but everyone around here just calls me SCL or just Simon. It doesn't matter to me. Welcome to the YWS! :smt006

Well the most important rule is to have fun! :smt036 Don't just write because you think you need to write. Write because you want to not you need too.

Another is the 2:1 ratio when you post a writing you need to post 2 reviews! :smt080

If you ever have questions just pm me anytime :smt029

See you around

SimonCowellLuver (SCL) :smt081
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:33 pm
Hannah says...

Yay, Maddy! ^___^

I have actually heard of a few of those series! The His Dark Materials series is one that I loved a lot when I first read it, but I haven't really read it recently, so I need to do that. oO; Especially since I watched the Golden Compass movie and there were some things I couldn't remember reading about. I felt bad I couldn't compare the memories of my reading to the movie, but I do hold that series as excellent in my heart.

Though I haven't read The Merlin Conspiracy, I have read a few other things by Diana Wynne Jones, and she's also an excellent writer. I believe I really enjoyed 'Charmed Life'. Is that the one where the boy goes behind his fireplace or something and gets to a different world? I don't know if you've read it. xD

Oh! And I have a favor to ask of you. ^___^ I'm participating in an Instructor Reality Show {because I'm actually an Instructor as well} and my first task is to compile a team of newbies. Now, I have no idea what my team will be doing, but I'm sure it will be entertaining, so I was wondering if you'd like to join me! It would be a great way to get involved with the site and meet some new people right away.

Let me know {feel free to PM me} if you want to participate, okay?

Also, be sure to PM me if you've come up with any questions about the site or anything! I'm here for you!

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 pm
flytodreams says...

Hola back Sixteen Candles! :) Welcome to YWS!

I love Ghost Whisperer and Supernatural too! Aren't they just the best? Oh, and I like Harry Potter too. XD
You'll have heaps of fun around YWS, the users are just awesome, and the critique you can get is extremely helpful. I hope your original idea works out!
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats