z

Young Writers Society

Hey there!

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:30 pm
View Likes
pandora says...

As you may have guessed, I'm new here (this is the welcome forum, after all =)). My name is Lily, but you can call me whatever you like. I am a frustrated writer, in that I have a lot to say but don't quite know how to say it. I don't really know that I have a favorite genre, per se, but I tend to lean towards fantasy, post-apocalyptic, adventure, and political conspiracy-type fiction. I also write a lot of (bad) poetry.

Besides writing, I'm really interested in economics and politics, both of which I hope to study in college this fall. I'm also a massive history geek and can often be seen raving about 1) World War II, 2) Russia 3) Napoleon, or 4) atom bombs. I am approximately 16 years of age, soon to be 17. I'm addicted to chai tea lattes and gelato (but you can't really get good gelato in the American suburbs...) and have a wide range of musical tastes that encompass almost everything but country and rap, but especially rock and crazy foreign techno. I'm sure there's more to say, but I hope that gives you a good introduction =)

I've read up a bit on the FAQs, so I think I'm getting the hang of this site - the color-coded names, the two reviews before a post, etc. But if you have any advice, suggestions, etc I'd love to hear it! This looks like a pretty cool site...

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:51 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Welcome, Lily, to the YWS family! We're a giant family, but there's always a spot for more :D
I'm Kat *waves* Nice to meet you!

You seem to have an interesting favorite type of writing! I'm a frustrated writer, myself ^_^

As for your interests on economics and politics, I can advise you to check the 'Debate Group', under groups. I'm sure there are many more that will fit your likes.

:arrow: How do I get to the Groups?
If you check the top of the page, you'll see a banner of big buttons. We call that the navigator. You can access pretty much everything from there. There's on that says 'Groups'. Click it, scroll down and you'll be fine ;)

Oh! You have read the FAQs? Great! Then you might know I'm a Greeter (blue name). We Greeters are in order to welcome newbies, as yourself. there for, I have to request of you to read the rest of The Rules.

Well, if you need anything just PM me!
*Kat*

P.S: I love rock too :D
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:21 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hey! Well, welcome to YWS. It's nice to have you. So, you've read the FAQs? Good. Well, I guess some advice would be to just look around and find things that you might be interested in. As Kat said, the groups are a great place to start. You can find people that are interested in the same things as you.

Also, you can look in the Lounge and Randomness for interesting posts, maybe find people talking about things you like. Or, you can look around in the Forums for something to read and review.

I hope to see you around, and again, welcome!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hi there!

By reading the FAQ, you just saved me (and other) Greeters some time. So thanks! :)

Anyways, I love your username! Are you interested in Greek mythology? I love it. :) And rock, well, rocks! I hate rap and country (ick). I like indie/alternative/punk/classic rock most. Gelato is great! I know of this great place near my house. I love white chocolate and lemon (L).

Anyways, welcome to YWS! We're glad to have you here!

- Frag

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hey Lily! Your username reminds me of Pandora radio... I'm not sure why, but don't mind me. ^_^ Welcome to YWS!

We have one group in particular that you might like which is the Debate group. Our political beliefs usually clash while debating, but it's all the fun of it. :D Just out of curiosity, what political group have you joined?

Also, you wouldn't happen to write historical fiction, would you? I love reading stories about World War II and the Russian Revolution. Post-apocalyptic stories catch my interest, as well, especially since all this 2012 stuff is going on.

So what else are you interested in? What's your favorite author? What book do you like best? Do you like poetry?

If you have any questions, would like a review, or want to talk, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:20 am
pandora says...

Thank you guys so much for your warm welcome and advice! I read the rules, checked out the debate group and joined; it seems very interesting. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun in there ^_^

Frag, I am a bit interested in Greek Mythology but sadly my knowledge is very limited. They don't really teach it in our schools and I have yet to find a good book about it ("good" meaning capable of holding my goldfish-length attention span ;D). Great music tastes btw!

Selene - I don't think I've yet joined a political group, not here or in real life. In terms of political alignment I tend to be generally moderate, but more liberal on social issues. I don't usually write historical fiction - I did one for my creative writing class, but only because it was required. The thing about historical fiction is that you need to do a lot of research to sort out inaccuracies and I'm a bit too lazy to do that... World War II fics are great, though - I used to read them all the time when I was younger. I haven't read any about the Russian Revolution but I'd have to bet that would be fascinating too.

What else am I interested in? Erm, I like music. I like to pretend I can sing and play piano (pretend being the key word there). My favorite author is probably Dostoevsky, though for poets I absolutely LOVE Emily Dickinson. Kurt Vonnegut and Ayn Rand are pretty good too. I honestly don't think I could pick a favorite book if I have to... there are so many good ones out there! Though Hamlet will always have a special place in my heart, even if it is the most overdone shakespeare play ever. Yes, I love poetry - I just wish I could write it better!

Thanks again!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya!

I saw Hamlet and smiled there. I haven't actually read the whole play (I want/need to this summer. It's the only Shakespeare play that looks like it's morbid enough to keep my attention yet not romance-y like Romeo and Juliet. I think that is the most over-done Shakespeare play everywhere because the theme shows up everywhere. xD)

I've done some historical fiction. It's what got me reading. Although you're right about how much research is involved. Although I'm rather used to it, considering I write fantasy. That's another genre that needs a ton of research. Not as much as historical, though.

If you want a good book on Greek mythology, try one that just gives bios of different gods/demigods/heroes/creatures. Those usually give you short bites of information. Usually those come in collections of mythologies, so you get Greek myth along with a whole bunch of other myths. ^_^

Hehe, I pretend to sing too. Only I took guitar longer than piano. I'm more of a dancer or an actress when it comes to the arts. But writing trumps all. ;) (Followed closely by design)

If you need anything, PM me! I'm more than happy to look over your poetry or just about anything you post. (Although I do have guidelines. Check my Will Review thread for details. And when I open back up you can request there. ^_^)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:53 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Lily and welcome to YWS! I see you've gotten a pretty thorough greeting already, so I don't have much to say. Groups and your interests have already been covered, and you seem like a very nice and interesting person. If you want to give people a better idea of who you are, you can check out the About the Authors forum. There, you can write just about anything you want about yourself. It really is good to learn about people.

Anyway, if you ever need anything, you're free to PM me. I hope to see you around sometime soon. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:10 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to YWS.

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

See ya around
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson