z

Young Writers Society

Writer ... in ... DISGUISE!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 pm
Echo says...

Konnichiwa! I don't actually speak Japanese, that's about all I know. I -points to self- am "Echo" (echo, echo, echo).

To describe myself in short, I am simply but a figment of your imagination.

Fearless behind the words that I write on paper, I could be considered quite the "geek" by others. Social outcast, I guess, but I prefer it that way. Who wants to go with the flow, anyways? I say swim against it!

Since this is really an introduction thread (and since I'm just smart enough to take a peek at everyone else's introduction threads) I'm going to tell you a bit about myself. Then again, I'm a figment of your imagination, so I could be anything! -waves hands around-

-->Anime (kind of ish)
-->Writing (I believe that's a given)
-->Reading (meh, sometimes)
-->Computers! (making life easier)
-->My imaginary friend (yes, I still have one.)
-->Kung fu (I'm learning my own Kung Fu style! Cha!)
-->Being lazy (which also includes procrastinating)
-->Using the dictionary to find out how to spell "Kumquat"
-->Music
-->A variety of other things

So basically the gist of this short introduction is to say "I can't wait to hang out with you all and get reviewing, as well as get some of my works reviewed!"

Thank you! And remember, Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR!

-- Echo.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 pm
Mars says...

Welcome!

So I fell in love with you after reading konnichiwa. "Ah! She speaks Japanese! Ah!" And then I read the next sentence. Ah well. :P Anyway you can't be a figment of my imagination as my writing clearly shows that I don't have one, so you'll have to think of something else, there. ^_^

Anyway! Rules are here and I'm sure some Greeter (those users with the blue names) will be along shortly to give you the gist of the important ones.

Oh and you forgot to tell us what you write? Poems, fiction, scripts, all of it? Fantasy, romance, sci fi? Who's your favorite author?

Again, welcome to the site, can't wait to read something of yours. PM me if you need a review or have questions or anything! :)

-Mars

PS. Do geese see God?
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

6 Reviews

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 pm
Echo says...

Oh, I feel so welcome! I actually only know a few Japanese words. Konnichiwa, hai, iie, arigatou, gomen/ gomen-nesai. Basically the basic things. I'm working on "where might I find a store that sells imaginary friends?"

What do I write ... what do I write ... Well, I write words.

No, actually. I write words in the form of fiction. I could attempt scripts because I've been told my dialogue is funny/ good. I enjoy writing fantasy, with a bit of action and romance mixed in. I'm not clever enough for a mystery, and I'd confuse myself if I tried to write Sci-fi.

My favourite author isn't for sure. I've read Memoirs of a Geisha and love the way Arthur Golden (I believe that's his name) wrote it. I also quite like Cornelia Funke, Miss J.K. Rowling, and Dr. Suess. Along with a bunch others!

-- Echo

PS. Do gesse see God ... I expect so. Only if they're dead, though. And they've gone to Heaven.

CAN'T HELP MYSELF BUT COUNT THE FLAWS /
CLAW MY WAY OUT THROUGH THESE WALLS /
ONE TEMPORARY ESCAPE /
FEEL IT START TO PERMEATE .

--The Naked and Famous; Young Blood

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:37 pm
Flower~Child says...

haha I love your introduction. I am a anime fan, and I draw what I see. I don't really go with the flow either.

Anyway I will review your stuff when you post it.

Hope you have lots of fun on here!

-Flower-
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hey Echo (echo, echo, echo) <----- That's tottaly funny :P

I'm Kat, and welcome aboard YWS! I'm glad to meet you, dear. You seem quite amusing (partly because you come from my imagination) *laughs at how it sounds so self-centered* Well, I'm not. Self-centered, I mean. At least i think I'm not. Anyway, hello again! :D

Mars did a great job, directing you to the rules, even thouhgt she's an Instructor! <--- What's an Instructor you ask?
I'll explain right away. Some users have their names colored, as mine or Mars, and that's due to the fact that we have jobs.

~ Blue!
We are Greeters <---- the name pretty much says it all, right? So we greet the newbies (as yourself) and make them feel welcomed :)

~ Purple!
They are the Instructors. Their job is to give out detailed and very helpful reviews. They also answer questions and help you improve your writing. That doesn't mean that the other memebers won't do it.

~ Light Green/ Dark Green
They are Junior Moderators and Mdoerators, respectivaly. The Junior Mods only control one forum, but the Mods control all. They make sure we do our job, and that there isn't any plagiarism flying around (and alot of other things).

~ Red!
Administrators! ther exist only three administrators: Nate (the creator of YWS), Mesh and Firestarter. hey make sure the rite runs smoothly.

~ orange!
Disntinguished memebers! They are our retired Mods and Adms, that still have some authority around here.

And that about it!

You'll learn two things about we, YWs users: we love cookies and randomness. So, may I ask you some random questions?

-- Basket or soccer?
-- Green or yellow?
-- Ince cream or cookies? (<---- I warned you!)

Have a great day, and if you need anything just PM me!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hey there!

Grr.... it seems that Kat and Mars have stolen part of my intro speech. Oh well :) I'll improvise.

So, I'm Fragile, and welcome to YWS! Did you know there's a Greek myth about a girl named Echo? Mwahhah....I like that story.

Anywho, I write Fantasy/romantic fictions too! I'm a generally humorous person, but I've never really tried my hand at a script. I'd probably end up confusing myself if I tried to write a mystery, but I'm so-so at Sci-fi. *smacks head off desk*

I've been up kind of late, so you'll have to excuse my randomness.

Have you headed to the About the Authors thread? That's a great way to meet new people with the same interests. I met a bunch of my friends there :). Also, if you ever need a review, you can see the threads users have posted in the Will Review for Food forum. I don't have the link handy, but you can go to my thread via the link in my signature.

Well, good luck, and keep writing!

- Fragile

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:28 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to YWS.

If you ever need anything, feel free to pm me.

Hope you enjoy it here.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:16 am
Carlito says...

Hey Echo, welcome to YWS! :D

You make me happy already. Your intro was great, it made me smile like this :D

So, who's your favorite author? What's your favorite genre to read/write? What's your imaginary friend's name? What kind of music do you listen to? Who's your favorite band/singer?
What's your favorite kind of soup? If you could be any piece of furniture, what kind of furniture would you be and why? If you could be a marine biologist, what animal would you study and why?

I hope you have a great time here and if you need anything feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:16 am
WaterVyper says...

Heya Echo! I'm Vyper, and it's great to meet you! A few of the things have been cleared by the other members, so I guess I can explain usegroups. Up there, in the header at the top of the page, you'll find the button labelled 'groups'. If you click there, you'll be presented with a list of usergroups that you can join. These are like clubs, and they're made for people who love the same things. For example, we have a usergroup about anime/manga, I think, there's another group for music, and a whole lot more.

So, it's great to meet you. Feel free to PM me if there's anything you need. I hope to see you around sometime soon!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 am
Angels-Symphony says...

Hi Echo ^^ Welcome to YWS!!!

In the pile of greets given here, I'm surprised that none of them mentioned the 2:1 ratio, the no chat speak, and all of the other jazz they usually mention. Perhaps it's because you took the liberty of reading the other posts xD

Since they haven't mentioned these things, I'll be the super greeter today!

I'm a greeter *pokes blue title* one of those blue-titled people. It is my job and my pleasure to greet all of the new members on YWS as well as guide them in the right direction. Remember the best way to learn the rules is from experience--which means you'll have to break some here and there (on accident!) and learn from them.

2:1 Ratio. You must review 2 pieces of work before posting one of yours. It keeps the flow going and people are usually more eager to review your work if you do theirs.

No chat speak! We like practicing proper grammar around here, so we stress this.

No caps! It's rude and makes people ill *_* Well, that's what they told me.

Now for my advice:

Don't take all reviews to heart! People here can shred your work to pieces, no matter how good it may be. It's all in the hope that you'll learn, improve, and grow. Take their advice and you'll improve by far.

Just jump in and get in the picture! There's no better way to start!

Good Luck & Have Fun

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

6 Reviews

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:29 pm
Echo says...

Ratios? Math? Oh, I can already see myself getting lazy, but I promise I will try to abide by that rule. -salutes- Along with all others!

So many questions ... I feel all special!

1. Soccer, for sure. I play soccer because its just ... the best!

2. Well, it depends what shade of green you're talking about! If it's a lovely apple green, then green all the way! If it's an ugly green, and a nice powdery yellow, yellooooow!

3. Muffins.

4. Favourite author is unknown. I'm not sure, I guess.

5. Action/ fantasy/ adventure/ romance/ suspense. (If you put them in a blender, that's what category I like reading/ writing)

6. His name is Gilbert.

7. I listen to anything, really.

8. I definitely like the Hush Sound.

9. Borscht!

10. I'd be an "armoire". I like saying their name.

11. I would study those fish that pretend like they're sand but they really aren't. And they're all flat? Yeah, I'd study those so I could poke them.

Thanks for all the friendly greetings/ advice! I feel so welcome!

-- Echo

CAN'T HELP MYSELF BUT COUNT THE FLAWS /
CLAW MY WAY OUT THROUGH THESE WALLS /
ONE TEMPORARY ESCAPE /
FEEL IT START TO PERMEATE .

--The Naked and Famous; Young Blood

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 am
Wiggy says...

Echooooooooooooo!!!

*cough* Sorry, had to do that. :) I think your name is awesome, not only because of the Greek myth that surrounds it, but because, well, it's fun to do!

I'm so happy you're here! You sound like you have such a fun personality! I mean, slight Japanese, an affinity for music and writing, and an awesome username? I'd say that's a winning combination! :D I think you're going to be a great member of YWS. :)

So, I guess I'd better tell you a little about our YWS (or Yewis, as some have dubbed it :P). When I hear "YWS," the first word that comes to mind is AWESOME. Srsly. The members are fantastic here, we have the best critiques around, and there's no way you could ever be bored! I know in your post you said you like fiction. If you're working on a novel, there's a group called "The Novelists" (click on groups and scroll down--they're in alphabetical order) where you can explore different ideas with members and debate plot points in your novel. Oh, and you said your dialogue was good? I'm pretty sure there's a dialogue group, and I know for sure there's a "Character Tea Party" group that will allow you to engage in witty repartee. :)

Honestly, we've got everything from novel updates to personal blogs to a newsletter to threads about things that made you happy. :) If you have any questions, or you just need someone to talk to (we've got over 10,000 members now! Yippee! :)), drop me a pm! Great meeting you! :D

Wigs ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe