z

Young Writers Society

I'm New (Obviously)

Random avatar

Reviews: 19
Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:56 am
drama_queen says...

Hi everyone!

I just joined this site and it looks pretty cool, from the tiny bit I've seen. I'm not much of a writer, but I love reading and just finished a 17'000 word story that's story of based off one of my favourite books, but not completely. I love reading, though.

I haven't really written anything apart from that, but I'm hoping to get some more ideas from this site, plus I've got a couple of ideas for a sequel to the previously mentioned story.

I'm 16 later this year and live in Melbourne, Australia. Oh yeah, and my name's Sarah. I chose my user-name because I love acting even though I don't get to do it that much.

Thanks for reading,
Sarah.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 am
Clo says...

Hey Drama! Welcome to YWS!

What is the favorite book that this story was based off? 17,000 words though, congrats -- I've barely been writing 1,000 lately. :)

This site has a lot of places to spend way too much time in -- there's the Community Forums, the Literarary Forums (where you post your work), we have the Knowledge Base located in Resources, where you can look up writing tips and tutorials that are SO helpful. We also have a blog section which is very lively here, and a chatroom that is always open and moderated by people like me (who are awesome). ^_~

Anyway, my name is Clo, I'm a Junior Mod and an Instructor, so I'm always available for a PM about any problems you may be having, or a request for any review you may want!

I hope to see you around the site!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:47 am
Snoink says...

Wow! That's a lot of words! Reader or not, I'm afraid to say that you've out-written a lot of YWS with that sheer amount of word count, and that is slightly awesome. :) What was the story you based it on? And is it more of a fanfic or did it twist into something completely original and awesome?

Speaking of reading, what kinds of books do you like to read? And do you like plays? I mean, you might not be able to act much, but you can at least read the plays. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:57 am
drama_queen says...

Thanks for the welcome!

The story is based on Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdoch. It's not really a fanfic, I just took elements (mainly sport, which really isn't my thing but I seem t be able to write okay) I actually wrote it in a few days because I really enjoyed it and found it a lot easier than studying (which I should probably be doing now, because if I'm feeling better tomorrow morning, I will have three exams!)

I read a lot of anything, but mainly realistic fiction. I've been reading a lot more crime and romance lately, too, and I'm re-reading the Famous Five books, which sort of turned me into a fully-fledged reader.

Catherine Gilbert Murdoch is probably my favourite at the moment, though. I love Dairy Queen, and made Mum buy the sequel (The Off Season), which I'm reading for the second time now. I'm waiting anxiously for the third one to come out later this year.

I'm not much a play person, but I'm going to be studying Romeo and Juliet next semester. I'm hoping to get acting lessons starting next term, and I should get some more experience and a lot of different plays.

Everyone here seems really nice, and I'm afraid I'm going to become completely addicted!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:02 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... yeah. Unfortunately, YWS can be a little addictive at times. But, if it makes you better, I think my carpal tunnel is mostly from clarinet playing. *nods*

Never heard of that book... but I haven't heard of a lot of books, considering that I am an engineering student and my professors are evil. XD However! Since we seem to have a somewhat similar style of books... what is "Dairy Queen" about? And, just for fun, how does your story differ from it? :D

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Random avatar

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:10 am
drama_queen says...

Dairy Queen is about this girl who lives on this Dairy farm in America, in a town where sport, particularly football, is everything. She has to train the QB from the opposing school, and then she decides to try out for football herself. There's all these other elements, like all this family stuff that's going on.

My story, for one, is set in Australia, and it's about this girl who doesn't have any female friends and just hangs out with a load of guys. I just kind of tried to copy the style, and threw in some sport, so I guess it's not that similar, seeing as I can only dream of my writing being a good as a published author.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:15 am
Snoink says...

That's awesome. :)

And also funny! Especially about the football... usually the folks not from America make fun of us and our football, which isn't really what they call football. XD What kinds of things struck you as different about the American society, from your Australian viewpoint?

And it sounds like your story twisted into its own, which is awesome. :) You might not know this yet, but even if you copy her style, your style is developing and you probably sound nothing like her, which is kind of awesome. When I don't have exams, I'll have to read your stuff, lol. Some of the more... um... ancient writers (like me! xD) can help you find your voice and stuff. Unfortunately, we're also notoriously lazy, so you have to kick our arses if we slack off. So in a couple of weeks, bug me and I'll totally look over your stuff. :D

Random avatar

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:23 am
drama_queen says...

I'm definitely going to post my story here later, because I'd really like people to help me make it better, and I'd be totally honoured if you read it.

What you call football isn't what I call football, but what most Australian's call football, I don't call football. I grew up in England, and moved to Australia when I was seven. I totally love Australia, but I call soccer Football and Australian football AFL.

The one thing I really notice when watching American sport movies or books, is that the sport, even just high school teams, means so much to entire towns. Maybe it's the same in the small towns in Australia, but where I live there's loads of schools to pick from.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:29 am
Snoink says...

Wait! Hold the presses! So in Australia, soccer isn't called football? What exactly do they call football????

And yeah. There's totally fandom for sports, especially for football. Our whole school pretty much loves the Aggies and, as far as pro football comes, I will always love the SF 49ers, even though they pretty much suck. XD But I love them anyway!

Random avatar

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:35 am
drama_queen says...

Nup! Soccer for you is soccer for me. Football, or AFL (Australian Football League) is this other sport where a bunch of mad guys run around with a ball and try to kick it between two white poles. I can't explain it because I'm not much of a fan. But it's different, trust me.

So am I like, the lone Australian on this sight? Is everybody else here from America, because if that's true I'm going to have to do a lot of explaining, because all my stuff is set in Australia!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:39 am
Snoink says...

XD

Nooooo, you're not. In fact, I think some of the top cities that visit YWS are Australian. I'm just a silly American who should probably get some sleep. Anyway, if you head over to the chat this time of night (or whatever it is for you), there's usually like... a ton of people right now who are Aussies or kiwis and they just lounge around in the chat and do aussie things. It's fun! However, I'm supposed to be studying for exams, so I'm not there. But... well... I'm here instead, so it's kind of useless. XD

But yep! You're definitely not alone. Though it's cool that your both English AND Australian! Both sides of the equator. :D

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 pm
XYZinnia says...

*Gasp* Do you realize that this thread has 10 posts and none of then have the rules in it?

I must fix that! :D

I’m XYZinnia, buy the way. So, as for the rules:

1. Rate your works. If it has any vulgar language, adult situations, stuff like that, it needs to be rated. After all, we don’t want people seeing things they wish they had not. Also, keep your comments PG.
2. There is a 2:1 ratio here, so for every piece you publish, review two others. That way, everyone wins!
3. No chat speck.
4. No CAPS.

And now for the colors!

Some people have different color names, that’s because they have a “job” on YWS. The colors are:

Blue. These are Greeters. Greeters welcome newbies and tell them the rules.
Purple. These are Instructors. They critic your work to help you make it even better.
Dark Green. These are Moderators. Mods look out for YWS and make sure it’s under control.
Light Green. These are Junior Moderators. They keep an eye on certain forums.
Red. These are Admins. Admins keep YWS running smoothly.

Ok, I’m good! :D (Sorry for the info dumping :wink:)

Wow, your story sound cool, I want to read it! I don’t really get the plot, though. What’s the twist? Oh, I’ve always wanted to go to Australia! I might like to move there when I grow up. There, or Michigan.

Oh, cool! I love acting too! So who are you going to be in Romeo and Juliet?

Anyway, if you have any questions, just ask!
-Y

Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop