z

Young Writers Society

Hush

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 pm
TylynRae says...

(Please note that any and all criticism is appreciated. But also know that the plot itself is not up for reconstruction. This story is the truth, and that is what it will stay. Thanks)

Dad,

I’m seventeen now. I have dark brown hair, almost black, bright green eyes, though everyone swears they’re brown. People don’t look at me clearly, they don’t see me.
Mom yells all the time... I can hear her downstairs coughing, tar coating her lungs, she chokes on her every word.
I miss coming home to the smell of earth; soil and fur. I breathe in and the absence in my lungs threatens to knock me off of my feet.
I could tell you everything that has happened to me; tell you about how every time I close my eyes I see images of the people that left me dancing behind my eyelids. I see you, with your blue eyes and blond hair, your stern expression; a crease in your brow. I see your white t-shirt, stained yellow in the armpits, shredded and overused. I see your ridiculous gray shorts that are more holes than fabric. I see you hunched over the kitchen counter, with your head in your hands and your face red; scolding me, crying for the first time that I’ve seen in my life... I could tell you all of these things... but would you ever take the time to listen?
I want you to know that I didn’t mean to hurt you. I look down at my skin now... my canvas, and see the pain that I put you through. I see the hurt in your eyes slamming into me, reverberating inside of me. But I want you to know that I tried. I tried to be good enough. I strived to be a good daughter, to be something in your eyes. I struggled until the rest of the strength I had in me had depleted. It broke me...
But it wasn’t your fault; my scars remind me that I was the one holding the blade...
I see your reddened face, the veins in your neck, blue, spit accenting every word. I see your hands grabbing me fiercely by the arm, your fingers digging into my skin like talons. But your hands were shaking, not angry, but scared. You tugged back my coat sleeve and threw my arm away from you, disgusted.
You never touched me again after that... not a hug goodnight. Not a pat on the back. Not a slap across the face... You were too scared to touch me neither gently nor harshly. Sometimes I just want to yell at you and beg you to hit me. I see myself at the kitchen table with your books sprawled out in front of you. I’m invisible to you. You continue to work on taxes as I slam my fists into the manilla folders and drag them to the floor. I overturn the table and you sit there dumbfounded, but only for a second. I lower my head, trying to catch my breath. When I look up the table is neat, the paper towers surrounding you.
Invisible... I could scream at the top of my lungs and rip that stupid farming magazine out of your hands, tearing it to shreds like you shredded my soul. And you still wouldn’t give a damn... You’re consumed by everything else and I’m out of breath from screaming.
“Why can’t you see me? I’m right here. I’m trying, dad, I’m trying my best. It’s not good enough...”
“ I can’t tell you about my arms, dad. Dad! Please would you just listen! I can’t breathe.”
“I just wanted you to see me... This is who I am, dad.”
“Dad, I love him! Dad, I love you. Please don’t do this. Please would you just listen to me!”
“ Listen to me! Listen to me! Listen to me!” My blood curdling screams sound like blades of grass under children’s feet.
I’m out of breath... my cheeks burn.

I called the Christmas before last. I talked to everyone. Everyone except you. You didn’t care to talk... you didn’t have time for me... I hung up the phone and cried, dad. You hated when I cried. You’d grimace and then walk towards the door, going out to the feed lot, dumping your fears and insecurities into a five gallon bucket.

I want you to know that I’ve made mistakes. I’ve always made mistakes. I’m a dreamer. I thought that love would last forever... I chased it. I thought that you’d call after I left... I waited by the phone. But waiting for you is like waiting for the rain to fall in a drought... or for the currents to cease in the ocean. I can’t change what I did, and if I could I’m not sure that I’d ever choose the right thing. I’d still choose love, I’d still get my heart broken, and you’d still look at me with disdain...

I used to be the girl that carved love into my skin to eliminate the pressure building inside of me. I used to be the girl that chased love and ended up with infatuation instead. I’ve been so many things... and all of those things have made me who I am now.
I sing, dad. I drum my fingers on my jeans and sing to every song that I hear, just to feel the wind running through me, coursing through my veins like the maroon that fills me now. I laugh, and smile, and get angry, and cry. I scream, and talk, and wish on every star. I can’t say that every time I look in the mirror that I’m fully satisfied, because if that were the case I’d have you standing with me.
I’m seventeen now. I have dark brown hair, almost black, bright green eyes, though everyone swears they’re brown. People don’t look at me clearly, they don’t see me.
-Tylyn
Last edited by TylynRae on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:48 pm
Soulkana says...

Amazing Tylyn I could feel the emotion you put into it. I hope to see more of your lovely work!!! Love it. Keep up the good work Tylyn! Good luck and Happy Writing, Tylyn!!!!
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 pm
PandaAiKorai says...

neither gently nor harshly...

But waiting [for you] is like waiting for the rain to fall in a drought...

I'm glad you said you wouldn't change anything; I don't believe anyone would suggest you to do so anyway. This piece holds so much emotional depth, I truly enjoyed reading it. There's angst, loss, love, maybe even an inkling of hate over-lined with something stronger. Tylyn, you've revealed yourself here, which is risky, but I applaud you. Truly superb piece of work. Keep writing.

~Panda;;
Southern hospitality just ain't what it used to be...

...Ain't what it used to be...

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:57 pm
Qoh16 says...

Wow. I can like totally relate. And first thing is first, don't change a thing. This was so full of emotion and feeling I am crying as I am writing this. I thought you were talking about me at first. I feel your pain and understand your need for love and how eventually you get tired. You've tried and tried again to make them see but they just don't listen. and sometimes you need help because you are just drowning and dont know how to stay afloat. so i get it. i know people say they understand and then they actually don't. I do. I really liked this piece and really needed to read this. So i thank you for that. Good luck and keep writing.
-Qoh16
~Life has a song for every moment in life. It is just the matter of finding the right one.~

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 pm
View Likes
kristenailene50878 says...

Wow. That's all that's going through my mind right now, just wow. The raw emotion and description that you put into this story is almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Your words are so strong. I agree with one of the other (reviewers, I guess is what y'all would call them) reviews whose name escapes me who said: Don't change it. You should never change nor give up on yourself when it comes to writing or life in general. No matter how invisible you may appear to someone, family even, someone will always be there to see you. So, DON'T stop writing, you're too good. I'm used to reading things that are horrible from the punctuation to the grammar, but this... this was great. More than great. Your writing is TERRIFIC, AMAZING, and MOVING.

That's all I really have to say. You're an excellent writer.
"It sounded like a cow going through puberty!"- Mylifeisaverage.com

"Welcome to Sonic. How may I take your order?"-Sonic Personnel

Random avatar

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 am
TylynRae says...

@ kirstenailene50878 Thank you so much for your review =] I try as often as I can to get a reaction like yours, and like everyone else that has reviewed this piece of mine. And I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I plan on majoring with Creative Writing and the reviews that I have gotten make me think that its a good choice. So thank you very much. =]]

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 am
MandaPanda1031 says...

This was very detailed, so detailed in fact that I could practically see everything the girl in the story was seeing. I LOVED this story. Someday I'd love to see it made into a longer story or even a novel. With a little hard work I'm sure you could accomplish that and add some other things as well. For one thing, I don't know why her father was so upset and scared and really what she was talking about. Happy writing!

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am
Tigersprite says...

Hey Ty! Welcome to YWS; Tiger and I'll be your reviewer today! :)

So, this is quite a beautiful piece. Beautiful in its descriptions, in the ranges of emotion displayed--especially the depth of the pain--and beautiful in how threadbare the emotions are, just laid out for the world to see. So kudos to you on that, you had my attention hooked to the very end, and there was a smile on my face when I saw how you ended the letter with the exact same line with which it began. It had the intended effect, poignancy and power.

Now, let me stop gushing and move on to the few nitpicks I found.

tydecker777 wrote:I’m seventeen now. I have dark brown hair, almost black, bright green eyes, though everyone swears they’re brown. People don’t look at me clearly, they don’t see me.

The great paragraph. I'm only pointing it out because although I fully understand the connection between the second and third lines, I think it would be better if you pointed it out, as in:

...swears they're brown. This is because people don't look...

Just to show the connection better, really. You don't have to do this, but I thought I might advise it anyway.

tydecker777 wrote:I see your ridiculous gray shorts that are more holes than fabric.

The placement of ridiculous makes it seem like you're referring to the colour gray (or grey to me, as I'm British ;)) as the ridiculous thing, in which case it should be "ridiculously gray". But I think you're actually referring to his shorts being in tatters as the ridiculous thing, and I don't think the word "ridiculous" even needs to be mentioned. This is because the underlined part already indirectly shows the MC's opinion.

tydecker777 wrote:You were too scared to touch me neither gently nor harshly.

The underlined part is, I think, unnecessary after we've already established that he was too scared to touch her. It's as redundant as saying, "I didn't like the colour red, neither the light or dark shades of it."

tydecker777 wrote:“Why can’t you see me? I’m right here. I’m trying, dad, I’m trying my best. It’s not good enough...”

“ I can’t tell you about my arms, dad. Dad! Please would you just listen! I can’t breathe.”

“I just wanted you to see me... This is who I am, dad.”

“Dad, I love him! Dad, I love you. Please don’t do this. Please would you just listen to me!”

“ Listen to me! Listen to me! Listen to me!”

I think these lines should be italicized, seeing as we've gotten out of her head for a minute.

And lastly, there are times when you refer to her father as "Dad" and times when it's "dad". You need to keep consistency with one or the other.

But really, this was a beautiful piece. And this is because it, as you mentioned, a true story. Writing it down must have eased the pain somewhat, and it's good because you seem to have discovered a passion for (great) writing. So well done, really. Amazing job, and KEEP WRITING!

Tiger

P.S. As it is a true story, did you send this letter to your father?
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

Random avatar

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 pm
TylynRae says...

Tigersprite: Thanks for the review first of all. =] I'm glad to see the positive reactions. I like some of the suggestions that you made, and other's I wasn't quite sold on. Not that they aren't great suggestions, I just feel that some of the suggestions might change my style. I can't see myself writing it. =] But a lot of your suggestions really helped and I'm grateful for them. So thank you very much.

I have to say that that reactions that I've gotten about it being beautiful and great and not having many errors has surprised me. I wrote this particular letter only a few nights ago. I didn't revise. I didn't correct anything. It is how it was when I first wrote it. I've written this letter, different versions, dozens of times. I've sent my dad letters. I've tried to make him listen but he hasn't seen me or talked to me in two years. I'm still debating on whether I want to send the letter. Because it's a choice between letting it be or hurting him. And I'm not one to hurt people on purpose.

But thank you again for the review and your opinion =]]

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 pm
eldEr says...

Hello! Here to review as requested - and I sincerely apologize for making you wait so long. I've had a rough few days. xD But, I'm here now.

And, honestly, there isn't a whole lot left for me to say. That is a good thing, by the way - I only ever have a lot to say if there's a lot of negative in a story. I can give praise, but I don't like to go on and on with it. xD That's just... annoying.

Anyways.

I really, really did like this piece. In the beginning, I had wondered if this was going to be another piece about a child who didn't get exactly what they wanted all the time - basically a spoiled brat who didn't realize that her parents did what they did because they loved her - not because they hated her guts and wanted to stop her from having fun.

However, I was proven wrong. This piece has a lot of emotion, it's about something close to the heart - real events that were both tragic and moving. You provoked emotion, the voice was strong. Honestly, I almost teared up - which is something I don't do often while reading things on a screen. xD This piece was, in short, absolutely beautiful.

Sorry for the shortness and the lack of help.

Keep writing,
~~Ish.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:35 am
Temi says...

Wow! First of all, I would like to commend you on the fact that you let your emotion go wild on paper without changing anything. Also, I am awestruck by the power of the voice in this piece. It had vigour, anger, a hint of hatred and also of long lost love. I feel that the power this piece has is raw as every reader immediately connects to the piece whether solemenly, with anger or in tears. I absolutely love your brand of writing for the voice it has is rare and distint. A grave mistake would be to derail from it. keep to it and you would simply enjoy the power it wields!
Tend your flame. It's what all we've got.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:44 am
View Likes
Butterfinger says...

As I'm typing, I don't really know what to say. I love your writing, it amazes me the passion you have. Your way with words moved me to tears as I've looked back at the things that've also made me who I am although they're very hard to go through. I have to say, I think you should send the letter to your dad. Let him know how you feel. Maybe going to see him and reading it directly to him could help you both heal. I know everything will work out and if you reach out to him, it might take a while, but he will see the light in you and how bright your beauty shines. I wish you the best of luck and truly look forward to reading more of your elegant words.

Stay Beautiful,

-Butterfinger
If you want to be a great writer, don't think about what you're going to write, just write it.

I'm a huge fan of writers block! When your brain halts, with no direction for where you should go, it gives you threads. All you have to do is pull and unravel the story you're meant to write.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:32 pm
harshita3chaarag says...

well... It was so deep and engrossing that i just got lost!!! brilliantly written and the emotion was very deep felt and nicely expressed... good job:)
The answers lie within.. You only need to look.. :)

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 pm
Formslipper says...

I read it. It seems that this isn't fiction, like you wrote it from experience. If it's true love you want, humans ain't gonna have it.

God offers so much more- eternity, unfailing love. Rest in His embrace.

Random avatar

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 am
TylynRae says...

to everyone that has reviewed thanks for your response =]
@ Formslipper: I'm not looking for true love, this isn't about an exboyfriend that I want back or for any boy for that matter. It's a letter to my dad. And as for the God thing. I'm glad you can believe in something, I truly am. But I'd rather not talk about that kind of thing. Whatever floats your boat right? Just don't sink mine. =] Please and thank you. I do appreciate your opinion but I don't need to be told about god. I've read the bible dozens of times and I'm still stuck in limbo. i don't mean to offend you, but that's just what I think.

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde