z

Young Writers Society

W.R.I.T.E.R.S (Prologue)

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I'm different.

I - I can do things. Weird things. Things that people can only do in movies. I don't move things with my mind or read them. I can't see the future or draw it. I can't make animals obey me or make plants grow. What it do-it's too dangerous to even comprehend. For most.

Except for the others like me.

We're classified by the government as WRITERS- wrightomiphy rightrstios inthromepy exctohempoplolbic righthome supernatural. It's much easier to say that we're WRITERS.

We have abilities. They're the same but different in their own ways. Well, some have this extreme ability to write about romance and love. It's too powerful and makes the reader think s/he wants to love someone and be loved. Others can write about real life so perfectly, it makes the reader want to go get one for him/herself. What do I do? I write about fantasy. Things that aren't real. Like dragons and magic. Cross that- magic is real in the WRITERS' writing. It captivates you-it is it's own breed of magic, the written ideas and pictures that are book.

Books.

The 'dreadful things' that the Government attempting to obliterate. But the public does not know the power these paperbacks and hardbacks harness within their binding. They are completely blind to it. Just removing them would arouse suspicion. So they're burring them one by one.

We rear our books like children-from the first chapter when they are just infants, to when they are off in the world and published. Our books are our children.

Every mother and father would protect their children. We are no different in that aspect. 

But we are poached, like elephants, by the illegal hunter. The murderes and assassins of the Government. So we will stay hidden. But as they burn our books, we save them. We have a stash growing.

We will save our children. We must. For the sake of humanity.     
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 am
TheTruthLiesWithin says...

Wow, I completely love this. It's awesome! Love how serious and intense it is.
Keep on writing!

-Truth-
.- <3 -.

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:29 am
View Likes
ofir says...

A very original idea! The writing style is very severe, and actually gave me goosebumps! I believe you could turn this into a whole novel if you wanted to, actually. The lines about how books are our children, and we must protect our children were very touching, so well done. You managed to transfer the emotion in the piece to the readers, without having the narrator state the emotion himself. Good job!
It is indeed an amusing idea. I thought that the beginning was maybe just a tad cliche, the whole 'we have abilities, our gifts are different yet the same'... this line was used in too many stories and too many movies to feel special. It's up to you if you want to change it :)
Keep writing!
Ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:03 pm
EloquentDragon says...

So, there were a few grammar points that I cought here, mostly how you need to use three periods (...) when something is out of conjunction rather than breaking it up with "--"

wrightomiphy rightrstios inthromepy exctohempoplolbic righthome supernatural.

This is pretty funny, but it just doesn't have that scientific ring to it. Try again?
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:05 am
Razcoon says...

I loved this! Found a few mistakes, but I'm sorry to say it won't let me quote you and point them out. Normally in this case I would copy/paste/add quotes/talk about your errors with you, but I'm on my itouch, and too tired to think! Maybe I'll edit in later. Scratch that, I WILL edit in later. Promise!
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:24 am
DennisNeat says...

This sounds like a brilliant idea, a very good opening monolouge to a short story/novel, deppending on how far you want to take it. Personally I would go back and revise your work so far, there are parts that appear to jump but also interesting parts that you could bulk out (and you never know where they could take you, if you do). Keep going, I want to read the next part.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am
DiannePan says...

I smiled my way through the whole thing; its lovely. Its just the way I feel about writing, like its something sacred. A job well done and idea greatly brought to life!

However, I would've liked if you emphasised the power of writing a bot more, like making it more drasting; as in, giving more shocking examples. Love and magic is great, but what about fear, hate actions that those books produce?

Thank you for this highly amusing piece!
"I think--therefore I exist" ~ Rene Descartes.
I write--therefore I continue to pursue my most cherished dream.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 am
Eniarrol says...

First of all I really liked this I think it would be a great like you know, beginning for a movie of something while the credit thingies at the start are rolling. If you know what I mean?
Great Job! Would like to hear more about this fight for the children :)
A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.

~Previously SweetMoments

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:54 pm
rl14 says...

I absolutely love this, it's very well written. Like the previous posts I must say, the stile of writing you use is really captivating and definitely draws the reader in.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:21 pm
Iridescent says...

I loved it. Your writing is very...hard-core, packed with emotion and voice. The storyline actually sort of reminds me of Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, if you've ever read it. But I like how your writing was quite serious. Overall, fantastic!
If I die young,
Bury me in satin,
Lay me down
In a
Bed of roses
Sink me in a river
At dawn
Send me away
With the words
Of a love song.

49 Reviews

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:45 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I've actually never read that. Thanks, everyone!!!!!!!!!

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 am
GryphonFledgling says...

First, you should totally read Inkheart. Great, great stuff.

Second, I kinda like this idea. Very Farenheit 51.

Third, I like the voice of the character, especially in the beginning, with how hesitant it is. It really feels like someone telling a secret in a hushed, rushed voice. The voice does sort of change by the end though. While in the beginning, it felt like someone telling a secret, by the end, it felt a little more preachy. Not that the preaching was bad, just different from what it had been.

Fourth, this paragraph sort of bugged me:
The 'dreadful things' that the Government is attempting to obliterate. But the public does not know the power these paperbacks and hardbacks harness within their binding. They are completely blind to it. Just removing them would arouse suspicion. So they're (the government?) burning them one by one. (Isn't this removing them? Wouldn't folks notice the decreased supply?)

Good luck with continuing this! I'd like to see where you take it!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:39 pm
Justagirl says...

Oh my god. How did you know!?!? I didn't know all of us WRITERS knew?? So glad to find another member!!!! Yes!!

This piece was extremely well written - you MUST do a book!!! Love it so much!!!

Keep writing,
Alzora
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:28 pm
Forestqueen808 says...

You absolutely must write this! Its so true I feel like. I mean, sometimes my friends look at my differently when I bring things up about writing. This is amazing! Please continue! (:
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

49 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:46 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Ok, I will do a book... BUT I NEED A PLOT! Help?

~Dr.Seuss.

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus