z

Young Writers Society

Fighting Bullies (Part 1)

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:57 pm
Master_Yoda says...

A/N: Hi everyone. I've been gone for quite a while. Please drop by to tell me what you think of the story. If you don't feel like reviewing it and you like it please click "like", just to let me know. Thanks a million :)

Boys did karate and girls did ballet. It was therefore natural that when my father gave me the choice of what to do after school to keep fit, I said karate.

They never told me that some girls did karate too.

Karate took place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I used to walk past the dojo on the way home after school. Amidst the dust in the streets and swirls of leaves, I walked home with Dan. He and I used to talk about fighting as we scurried through the streets. We discussed the throws and kicks and punches that we'd like to use on Patrick and Max and the rest of the bullies out there. Deep in thought about how we would thwart the plans of the worlds villains, we barely noticed the cars and smog that hung thick in the summer air.

We separated at Oak street. I turned left and walked another block before I got home. He still had another five minute walk before he reached his mother's house. When I reached home, I had a half-hour reprieve in which I'd eat lunch before Mom began hounding me with my homework and studying.

Fifth Grade came, and we were too old to waste time playing sport in school. Dan started playing soccer after school. While he stayed at school, I was forced to walk home alone.

I don't know what did it, but around the time I stopped walking home with Dan, I began to fear the dojo. The boys who were there were suddenly scary. Through the windows, I watched scrawny boys like me get thrown and beat over and over again. My fantasies of beating up Patrick faded away.

Father gave me an ultimatum a month after the start of the fifth grade: karate or ballet. I didn't really want to learn karate, but the options Father gave me didn't amount to much of a choice. It was karate or ballet and I was not going to do ballet. Only girls did ballet.

The first time I visited the dojo, I was more nervous than I'd ever been. They used to beat me up at school and I knew I couldn't fight. More painful than the bruises that Patrick dealt with his colossal punches, though, was the anticipation of being the worst at karate in the class. My fears were somewhat realized.

I tried not to look like too much of a fool. The faces of all of the boys in the dojo were incredulous as I walked in. Most of the children had been learning karate for a while. Impressive sashes and belts were tied around their white robes. I was wearing jeans.

I wasn't the only new member of the dojo, though. Anna also started karate the same week as me. She was wearing proper karate clothes. There were no other girls in the class. Naturally, as the only other new member, I was paired up with her. Immediately, my dreams of Max and Patrick getting a taste of their own medicine flew out of the window. Fighting a girl would never prepare me for the brutal real world.

The class stood in a square formation. It felt like every child in the dojo had his eyes trained on my back. I could feel myself blush as my arms clumsily flailed forward in a lousy attempt at a punch. I was too caught up in my own embarrassment to even think of looking at Anna to see how she was faring.

My humiliation lasted an hour.

I could feel the blood rising to my face as I clumsily attempted the kata. My head down, I pushed on kicking and punching and moving my feet. I did not count the number of times the Sensei came past me to correct my balance. I moved through the moves one by one. With each move, I felt a little more like giving up. With each move I pushed a little harder. Harder than I thought possible.

The session passed, and the others filtered out. As I walked towards the exit, I heard the voice of Sensei. He said, “Good session, Anna.” When I walked out, he said, “You're going to need to practice that, my boy. Brad, you want to get strong, don't you?”

I went home shamed. I felt weak. Looking back, I was weak. Both physically and mentally.

I thought for a long time about going back to the dojo the following on Monday. The truth is, I was scared. Thankfully, I didn't know any of the other boys there, yet. I didn't think it would be long before their shyness wore off and they would start to bully me. I was right, it was only three more training sessions.

At the time I didn't know his name, but Marcus was the first to confront me before the start of training.

“Hey, Monkey-boy,” he said. He waved his arms flippantly, mocking me and my clumsy approach to karate. Nobody came to my defense. I wanted to just ignore him, but my face flushed a crimson red, and I fumbled for a second.

To salvage the last of my honor, I responded. “Hi, Monkey-girl.” There were several snorts of laughter. In a second, though, they were gone. He didn't blush or falter. He merely looked at me with cold eyes. He made his way to the center of the dojo.

“Brave, but stupid,” he said. “You scared, Monkey-boy?”He slipped into a fighting stance and brandished his fists. For a moment the room was frozen. It was then that Sensei chose to walk in.

“Looking to fight, Marcus?” the Sensei asked.

“No, Sir,” said Marcus, his voice not terribly convincing. “I was just warming up.”

“I apologize for finding myself unconvinced, Marcus, but in the three years you've been here, you've never had such an enthusiastic attitude toward karate.” He paused for a moment, giving Marcus an opportunity to respond. After a few seconds he said, “Okay, everyone, let's begin.”

I looked towards Sensei with grateful eyes. He might have smiled for a second, but if he had, his face had become blank fast enough to conceal it.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:40 pm
Azila says...

Hullo there!

Deep in thought about how we would thwart the plans of the worlds villains, we barely noticed the cars and smog that hung thick in the summer air.
This is nitpicky, I know, but that should be "world's."

Fifth Grade came, and we were too old to waste time playing sport in school. Dan started playing soccer after school. While he stayed at school, I was forced to walk home alone.
Repetition of "school." I'm not going to suggest a way to fix this, because I think it would have to involve completely rewriting these sentences, and I want to leave that up to you. But please do do something about it! Also, why do you capitalize "fifth grade?" That strikes me as a little odd, especially because you don't do it later.

I moved through the moves one by one.
That repetition sounds a bit odd. ^.^ Maybe try "I went through the moves one by one."

I went home shamed.
I'm not sure if this is technically wrong or not, but it sounds strange to me. I think it's because I expect to see "ashamed."

I thought for a long time about going back to the dojo the following on Monday.
This should either be "...to the dojo on Monday," or "...to the dojo the following Monday."

--------------------------------

Okay, so good job developing a character! I feel like I'm getting to know Brad already, which is impressive. I also feel like you've set up a good situation for the next part(s), because I can imagine many possible friendships and tensions between characters.

My biggest problem with this, somewhat contradictorily, is that it doesn't feel like the first part of something. The way this is written makes it feel like you're trying to say everything you need to say while using as few words as possible. The whole thing feels a little rushed, with more emphasis on the plot than, say, on descriptions. I don't have any image of what any of the characters or settings look like, so it really feels like I'm having the story told to me, not shown to me. You've probably heard the whole showing vs. telling mantra before, but I think it really applies here. I feel like I've just listened to Brad tell me a story, but I don't feel like I was actually there. If you want it to feel immersing, I suggest you add more descriptions and imagery. If, on the other hand, you want it to have that "spoken" feeling to it, then play that up! Make the narrative more colloquial, more conversational. Treat it like dialogue. It's up to you which way you choose, of course, but right now it sort of feels like you're stuck somewhere in the middle.

Another issue I had was that I'm not sure what your character's "normal" is. It will be hard for me to understand how strange things that happen are to him, because I don't have a sense of what his ordinary everyday life is like. I want to know, for example, if he knew Anna prior to seeing her in karate class. Did he recognize her?

I'm also a little confused by what happened exactly, because I don't have that much of a sense of the passage of time. Did he start karate, then quit, then start again? I think that's what happened, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I hope this review helps! Please remember that if it seems harsh that's only because I want to help. PM me or write on my wall if you have questions/comments about anything I've said!

a

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:33 pm
LookUpThere says...

TheNewHero nods. 'Master.'

---

Hey Yoda, great to see you're writing again and hope to see more.

What I loved most about this is that I knew where it was going before I was barely two paragraphs away. Would I be correct in guessing there may be some attraction (either mutual or one-way) between the boy and the girl? If not, I don't think you necessarily have to have that so early, although I see how it could be useful - laying all the traps before the big hunt.

On that note, you seemed to have poised everything perfectly to kick us into the story. The one thing that you might have gone off on is that you didn't expose the fighting all that well. Your line about humiliation lasting an hour was a great way to pass time and space to paragraphs, but it lacked feeling. As in I didn't see him get punched once. I might be misinterpreting. Also, back to the laying the traps thing... perhaps you should define Anna even a tad more?

I really did love this story, and I'm one of the likes. Sorry this wasn't that helpful,
God bless,
TheNewHero.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:26 am
Rosendorn says...

Hello, Yoda. A bit late, but this is me we're talking about.

I believe I've read this story before, no? I vaguely remember a story with this premiss being sent my way sometime in February or March.

Anyways. Onto the review. (Ramble warning; I haven't reviewed in awhile)

Your hook was strong. It piqued my interest and set up your conflict early on. It is not the main conflict, but it is a conflict none the less. And the fact you used a form of romantic tension draws us in immediately and sets up a boy-girl conflict with a bit of a twist; instead of her being unattainable because she's beautiful, she might be intimidating or even beat him up, and possibly be a "big sister" figure for him.

However, you lost this thread shortly after the first long paragraph, when you explain when karate is and what it means to him. It wasn't that noticeable, until the story got to drag with the explanation of sports after school— the ultimatum flat-out repetitive of the first line. It puts a new slant on the opening hook and made me do a double-take, because the story's focus had changed to bullies. Because the ultimatum was a near exact wording of the opening line, it draws attention to the fact you didn't jump right into the introduced conflict after the start of the story. Ie- it renders your opening "bait" redundant and odd.

I will admit the new slant is not necessarily bad; it provides some characterization and brings in his dislike of girls (or, more specifically, activities girls do), which looks like it will be an important point for the conflict of the story. I simply disliked realizing that you're in essence restarting the story/conflict after it seemed to have already started, only with a new slant. Making the previously-seamless backstory so obvious jerked me out of the story just a bit. The switch in tone had been handled well otherwise.

Once you introduce her character, you miss the opportunity to pick up on the thread again. You completely glaze over what it's like fighting a girl, and apparently losing. It could be viewed as a use of first person (it was so humiliating he doesn't want to remember/talk about it), but it's bad for the readers. Especially so early on in the story, when we don't have a good feel for his voice yet. I could see a handful of reasons why you chose such a skip, but I consider it a poor choice. The sparring felt unfinished and glazed over. This is especially disappointing because you miss out on the opportunity to follow through on the beginning's conflict. This point of the story was thin on any conflict, too, as you say his dreams of fighting bullies are out the window. The only conflict we have is how he did, and the summary leaves me unsatisfied.

And the tone of the story. As I alluded to above, it jumps around. From romantic tension to idealized dreams to a reminder of romantic tension without anything to capitalize on the relationship/alluded-to friendship/partnership, then finally to a true bully. This jumpiness made me look at the story wondering what, exactly, it is supposed to be. It's a character-based story, but is it coming to terms with gender roles or learning to stand up for yourself? You do not mesh the two ideas together, and the story becomes disjointed for that reason.

Overall, I found each conflict interesting on their own. But they are two separate stories at present. Instead of there being a singular complex plot, or a overreaching plot with subplot, there are two plots that want to be main players but are left fighting and making the story leave readers jumping between two unrelated threads and not knowing which one to follow.

I would suggest really working at meshing these two plots together, making this one complicated and interconnected plot. I'm not sure how this will continue, so I can't give more suggestion than that; I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.

I look forward to how your character arcs will develop— one advantage to this disjointed plot is I have no idea how the story is going to progress. That being said I don't consider the degree of disconnection worth it, as I did get bored reading this about half-way though (the place where there was no visible plot thread).

If any of this is unclear, drop me a line. I skipped out on the odd awkward or wordy phrase as you'll probably be editing those anyway.

Nice to see your work again, Yoda.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology