z

Young Writers Society

Salem [Chapter One]

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:53 pm
Apple says...

**This used to be the prologue, though I've decided to get rid of it all together. So now, this is the first chapter. Sorry about the inconcinence.

I finally managed the courage to post my novel on YWS. It's pretty long, but I really just want people to voice their opinion about it. Everything is welcomed (grammar/spelling, feedback)! It's all much appreciated. I badly want to get this published so I really need poeple who will rip this apart.

~Apple.

Join this as a page and I will love you forever and ever ( x billions and billions)! Trust me, I swear, pinky promises! If you do not, I will beat you down! :D I won't beat you down, maybe slap you down?

~~~

Once upon a time, when darkness plagued the lands of Salem and demons roamed the streets with evil hearts.

Chapter One:
The Warning

“We are gathered here today to commemorate the loss of Jansen and Carmen Maher. Their long and brave lives were taken in the most unjust of ways within a matter of minutes.” Sister Gretchen began, her voice filled with sad mockery. Light filtered through the glass windows within the church, an image of Jesus stretched across the ground. I moved in my seat uncomfortably, pulling my light blue dress over my knees as it began to rise.

I could hear the faint sound of Jaidon’s game boy ticking beside me. Murder. How someone could drive a knife into another person’s chest belittled me. I shuddered as a horrifying image of Mr. and Mrs. Maher’s dead bodies sauntered into my mind. Most people didn’t believe they were dead, killed I should say. They just vanished. No one saw the old couple’s bodies. It was only when the church bell started to chime did the sickening feeling of death hit the whole of Gallagher. I looked down to see Jaidon’s tongue poking out the side of his mouth. He hammered his fingers skilfully across the buttons, the little character on the screen jumping over petite mushroom figures.

Jaidon was one of those people who didn’t believe Mr. and Mrs. Maher’s were dead; even though their coffins were circled by sobbing Nunn’s, moaning prayers. It was a rather frightening sight, though I kept my mouth closed. Shifting yet again in my seat, I ignored the stares from the people behind me who I seemed to be annoying.

“It’s sad that after seventy-three years, the old couple have lost their lives to the sinners of today. May God protect their souls as they journey up to heaven to see the splendours that our lord has provided in the hereafter.” The other sisters behind her nodded, their faces a teary mess.

Mum sniffed, dragging a handkerchief under her glassy green eyes. “Let’s bend our heads together in a little prayer.” Sister Gretchen’s voice was stiff, not soft as it should have been. Placing my hands together casually, I nudged Jaidon to do the same. Looking up at me dazed, his blonde fringe fell over his small face. He looked so young. Instead of appearing sixteen like me, he looked twelve. I motioned with my head at my hands and it suddenly dawned on him.

“God, Holy Father…Please forgive us for our sins. We’re dutifully bound to your words…” My eyes began to flutter closed. Sister Gretchen’s voice was so droning! She always stayed on the same octave, refusing to change her tone. Letting my head sink towards my knees, I felt a hand jostle my shoulder, forcing my eyes to widen.

Jaidon jumped from his chair and screamed loudly “I did it! I clocked the level! In your face!” He pointed at me with his Gameboy and instantly froze. Looking around him, his eyes fell on his Father. Sister Gretchen gazed up from her closed hands. Spite dwindled within her eyes before she banished them with a blink of her wiry lashes.

Shrinking back down into his chair, he coughed lightly into the palm of his hand. His mother stretched a frail arm from behind her wheel chair, claiming the Gameboy in her long fingers. A smile began to pluck at the side of my mouth. Biting into the insides of my cheeks, giggles began to escape my lips.

“Amen,” The other Sisters filled in the silence, looking fearfully up at Sister Gretchen. I didn’t blame them. The woman looked like a scarecrow with legs. Stepping away from the podium, she grasped onto the long cross around her neck. Sister Jezebel quickly fled to the podium, smiling nervously.

“Sybil, if you’d like to present the flowers now?” The fat under her neck shook as she searched the crowd frantically for my sister. Sybil stood up beside Mum, holding the flowers above her head. She was the spitting image of my mother. Curly blonde hair and glittering green eyes; I on the other hand was the exact opposite. Having lanky brown hair that flicked in every direction was definitely not what girls across the world wished for.

“The old bag looks like she is going to explode!” Jaidon whispered as he sunk lower and lower into his seat to avoid the piercing gaze of Sister Gretchen. I looked up to see her face turning stark red. Her knuckles were white under the thick, wooden cross.

“Your fault,” I whispered back, a large grin covering my face.

“Hey, I just defeated the largest mushroom in Mario! Jumping up and disturbing her prayer is not even a big deal. She hates praying anyway!”

Sybil stopped at the stairs above Mr. and Mrs. Maher’s coffins. They were closed from people seeing inside. In fact, Sister Gretchen hadn’t even opened it since the beginning of church! Aren’t you supposed to do that? Bowing her head, Sybil muttered something before placing the bouquet of flowers upon the coffin. I cast a glance at Mum’s watch, clicking my tongue impatiently. So I may have been acting a little rude, but what else could I do. We had been sitting in church for the past half an hour and we still hadn’t gotten anywhere!

Sister Jezebel nodded at Sybil, casting an approving smile. My sister erupted in to a large coughing fit – her sick little charade – and put her hands together, muttering a prayer. Jaidon groaned loudly, placing one of his legs up on the chair in front of him. Sliding her hand against the coffin, Sybil began to sway. I rolled my eyes; she was faking dizzy, again. You already tried this one, Sybil!

“What is she waiting for, Christmas?” Jaidon said loudly, waving his hand impatiently in the air.
Before Sybil could step away, her eyes rolled back into her head. Her foot caught on the blood red carpet, and a small cry vanished from her mouth. People gasped and began to lift themselves from their seats. I frowned, pushing myself to my feet. I knew Sybil was faking to be sick, but pretending to faint was just over the top. The Sister’s – except Sister Gretchen – rushed towards her, catching my sister before she hit the ground. Mine, and practically everyone else’s in the room, hands flew to our mouths. Grabbing at one of the singing pamphlets, Sister Jezebel fanned at Sybil’s face.
“Sister Anna? Where is Sister Anna?” Sister Anna - another creepy woman who should be in the middle of a corn paddock instead of teaching at the Catholic College – pushed her way through the gasping nuns. No emotion ticking in her plain eyes.

“My baby!” Mum began to rush through the crowd trying to get to my sister; fear fleeing through her eyes.
Sybil suddenly shuddered. Her eyes fluttered back and she stood slowly, the Nuns moving away from her. Her eye colour changed to a deep red. Screaming in agony, she placed her hands to her head, a mask of pain covering her usually serene face.

“Pain, suffering!” Her voice had changed into a deeper octave. “Everyone is in terrible danger! The past will recoil, plagues of darkness!” She dug her nails into the skirt of her dress, her lips quivering.

“Sybil, stop this nonsense.” Mum grabbed at Sybil’s small frame, trying to pull her from the podium.

“Everyone will fall prey! No survivors!” Sybil began to writher in Mum’s arms. Her mouth opening and closing like a fish pulled out of water. I felt my heart clench, shock rendering across my face.

Jaidon stood up beside me. “What the hell is happening to her?”

“Old enemies…new heroes! Blue Jay! Blue J-j-jay!” Sybil tried to push herself out of Mum’s grasp. Her eyes began to flutter, and the words in her mouth died. Her pupils dilated and she fell, slipping back into Mum’s chest. Silence reeked through the church, people to traumatized to say anything else. The only sound that could be heard was Mum’s frequent footfalls as she tried to escape through mobs of people. She motioned for me to follow after her with a flick of her head. Before I could even step forward, Jaidon shoved me in the back pushing me until I was out of the rows of suffocating chairs.

“C’mon!” he called over his shoulder, bursting through the church doors. Light framed his body as he escaped into the streets. As the doors swung back shut, darkness cloaked the church. Fear mingled with my heart. Gasping, I hurried after him trying to avoid other people’s gazes. What had just happened? Bursting into the light, I felt the sun’s rays wash over me. Mum sat on the bleached white stairs, cradling Sybil on her knees and slapping her face slightly to bring her back.
“Mum!” I called hopping down the stairs. “Is Sybil OK?”

Jaidon pulled himself onto the railing, kicking his legs underneath him as if he were a little child. Sister Gretchen emerged from the room, pulling her veil down over her eyes. I felt my heart clench and my hand unintentionally went into my mouth. It was a bad habit, but I always did it. Bitting into the nail on my thumb, my eyes followed Sister Gretchen.
Placing her hands onto Sybil’s forehead, a shadow cast over her withered face. “She will be alright, Vivienne. God gave her a sign! You should be very proud.” Mum looked up at her as if she had grown a second head. “I’ve seen it only once before. A man is given the words of God, in which he tells his fellow beings of crisis.” Sister Gretchen’s voice slithered with fake emotion, her eyes telling the truth.

“Or, it could be the incense fumes you keep around the church?” Jaidon began before quickly looking away as Sister Gretchen turned her attention towards him. He scratched the back on his neck looking everywhere but on the Nunn.
“T-thank you, Sister!” Mum said pushing a stray blonde hair out of my sister’s face. An awkward silence pushed through the area, dwindling with the breeze. The golden and red leaved trees swayed along the sides of the road. Gallagher was one of the Olde English towns that were smack banged into the middle of Massachusetts. It was a weird sight, though many came to see it. Sister Gretchen nodded, blinking slowly. She reminded me of an animal, though I could never put my finger on which one it was. Tortoise? No, though she did have a wrinkled, greyish skin. Turning, the Sister walked back into the church letting the long, brown doors close behind her.

Jaidon sighed, brushing sweat from his forehead. “Good, we’re still alive. I swear she was going to throw us into a pot of boiling water and start cutting up some herbs and spices. ‘Don’t worry dearies, this is only to make you smell nicer!’” he began to hyperventilate, placing a thin hand to his chest.

I sat down on the stairs, watching some of the cars that were parked along the street. I smiled thinly, not able to muster up the courage to really laugh. The church was apart of the Catholic College - the only school available in miles. Even if you weren’t Catholic, you had to attend the school unless your parents were wealthy enough to afford a tutor. Mum unfortunately wasn’t. We may have been, before Dad died…

“Speaking of eating, are you guys still coming over tonight?” Jaidon asked, pointing at Sybil.
Mum looked up at him, her eyes beginning to build with tears. I knew what she was thinking because I was wondering the same thing. Someone had just died, and now my sister was out cold, and yet Jaidon still seemed his bubbly old self.
“Yes,” Mum’s shoulder began to shake as the tears began to spill out from her glistening eyes.
Don’t mention tonight! I mouthed.

Well, I am curious to know if you are. He replied, pouting his lips and crossing his hands over his chest. I stared down at Sybil, her rosy cheeks glistening in the morning light. Dew still covered the leaves of the red roses stretching around the church. It was a surprise they were even alive, after all, no one tended to them.

“We might as well leave, Baylee.” Mum patted my leg and stood up. “Can you please take Sybil to the car while I get my things?” I opened my mouth to reply but closed it quickly when Mum shot me a look. I nodded not really wanting to argue that Sybil weighed as much as a seal. Pulling her onto my back, my knees began to shake.
“Are you gonna help?” I asked Jaidon as I tried to take a step forward.

“Aw, but looking at you suffer is a lot funnier.” He began to hoot with laughter. Staggering towards him, I nudged at his chest with my shoulder sending him tumbling over the railing. Now this made me laugh. Jaidon threw himself up, screaming as he landed on a rose bush. The necklace of a shark’s tooth around his neck hit against his chest as he pulled himself over the railing and onto the stairs.

“What was that for?!” he shrieked.

“You know exactly why.” Jaidon stood up, pouting his lips. Grabbing at a thorn in his pants, he tugged it out whimpering as it came away creating a gaping hole. His pink elephant underwear suddenly visible. I laughed at him, pointing with my fingers at the hole. Jaidon was a lot smaller then me. In fact, I was a head taller then him. Staggering down the stairs, the weight of Sybil was definitely something I couldn’t handle. It was weird how someone so frail looking could be so heavy.

“So you are coming tonight?” Jaidon asked, rubbing at hole in his pants.

I nodded, a smile lingering on my cheeks. “Yes, Sybil just had another one of her dizzy spells. It’s not gonna stop us from coming to your house.” I looked up into the sky. Clouds rolled through the blue infinity, crowding round the yellow sun like flies to fruit. If God had given her a message, I was definitely jealous. Stopping at Mum’s green broken down car, I tried opening the front seat. As usual, it wouldn’t open.

“This car is the dumbest thing ever created!” I kicked its wheel, watching it shake from impact.

Jaidon looked over his shoulder as people began to emerge from the Church, viewing bluntly around them for signs of trouble. Did I believe in what Sybil had said? Well that’s just it, in Gallagher, a two faced fish isn’t a major shock? What ever Salem didn’t want, it was always forced onto Gallagher’s shoulders. Since Salem was the closest city to Gallagher, we relied on it heavily. In fact, Salem was the only place closest to Gallagher for miles.

Jaidon, not seeing my worries, leaned against the car, placing his arms behind his neck. “Eco-Goths, ten-a-clock!” he chirped, eyeing the crowd. I felt my shoulders freeze, and my stomach drop even lower into my pelvis. Not them, anyone but them. I quickly turned on the balls of my feet to see if Jaidon was telling the truth. Unfortunately, this time, he was. I groaned loudly.

Three girls, each one taller then the other, were dressed in black. They sauntered over, their heavy boots hitting the ground with force.

“Thought we were never going to get out of there,” Jana muttered, flicking her spunky red and black hair over her shoulder. She didn’t need to. Her hair didn’t even reach to her shoulders. I pushed myself up against the car, biting into my bottom lip.

“I didn’t think we were going to see dear, Baylee and her stupid little boyfriend wannabe.” Suzy snarled the strip of green in her long black hair fell into her porcelain pale face.

“We’re not dating!” Jaidon and I said in sync.

"But for you, I can make an exception!” Jaidon winked dramatically at Zima, a girl who hadn’t said anything. She didn’t scowl like I had expected, instead she kept her head down, letting her shoulder length hair fall into her face.

“What is wrong with you, Zima? Why are you acting like that?” Suzy barked, slapping her friend on the back.

“Yeah, ever since your date with Mark you’ve been all quiet.” Jana said, placing her hands on her hips. I rolled my eyes at Jaidon who was to busy trying not to laugh. What did they want? Couldn’t they just steal my money like the little bullies they were and leave me alone! Ever since pre-school: Zima, Jana and Suzy had been making it their goal to push me into the dirt every time we crossed paths. It was only till Jaidon came and began to make their lives hell did they resort to catching me when I was alone.

"Was it because you were at the industrial parks last night?” Jana asked, her powdered grey eyes widening.

Zima looked up and gasped. Quickly looking over at us, tears began to build in her eyes. I raised one of my eyebrows and tried to turn away, not wanting to see her spilling out her emotions, though Jaidon was all for it. Jostling me with his arm, he peered in closer, just waiting for a tear to fall. When he saw my expression, I thought he was going to slink away; though instead he rummaged through his pocket, pulling out his phone and trying to find the video camera application. Zima let a sob escape her mouth and began to run, placing her head in the palm of her hands.

Jaidon slapped his phone closed and sighed. “Anyway,” he drawled “I was going to tell you before I was so rudely interrupted: you’ll never believe what I found in Dad’s office!” he said, watching a Blue Jay land on a branch above my head. I stared after Zima as Suzy and Jana ran after her, stopping when Mark emerged from the Church, his grandfather pulling him by the ear.

“That was weird,” I muttered.

“Yeah but they are too, so back to my question!”

“What?” I placed Sybil over the car boot, rolling my shoulder as the pain lifted.

“I’m not going to say!” he chided. “You have to wait till you come over!”

“Jaidon!” I exclaimed, lifting myself onto the car next to him. “You can’t start telling me something then make me wait!”

“You’ll just have to be patient!” I watched Jaidon grab at a piece of grass and place it imbetween his teeth. “You know we have some guy staying over our house?”

“Who is it?”

“I think his name is Lee or something. Dad’s tutoring him to become a cop.”

“And why is that so bad?”

“It’s not that,” Jaidon’s eyes lit up with excitement. “When Dad was in the shower I raided his suitcase and…” he left the rest blank, as if wanting the anticipation to kill me.

“So you’re going to tell me now?” I asked suddenly interested. Jaidon always went through his Dad’s things, though he was never this excited about it.

He shook his head mischievously, “Nope! Hey Vive, are you bringing over your famous cakes?” I craned my neck to see Mum rummaging through her leather purse for the keys.

Mum smiled thinly. “I’ll see what I can do.” She turned her attention towards me. “C’mon Baylee, you have to do your chores.” Mum slung her arm under Sybil’s neck and hoisted her into the car. I looked at Jaidon to save me but he just shrugged and poked his tongue out.

“Can I go over to Jaidon’s house instead?” I asked knowing what the answer will be.

“We’re going over tonight! You can wait a few hours. Now hurry up, we must leave. I have a deadline to meet with the article I am currently working on.” I sighed, stepping into the car.

“Trust me, it’ll blow you away.” Jaidon said, nodding. As the car began to pull away, I spotted Zima huddled by the Church stairs, staring at her shoes as if they were the most interesting thing on the face of the earth. I wonder what happened to her.
Last edited by Apple on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
I spy!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 pm
NikkiLow says...

Good story. :)

I have to say though, it got a bit confusing. All the he, it, The Hero, Blue Jay, partner, etc. I couldn't tell who was who, what was what, and so forth. The other thing I noticed is that you seemed to get confused about to and too. Otherwise, I didn't find too many errors. Just try to clear up all of the different names for certain people/demons.
Run, Devil, Run.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

I agree with the first reviewer, there were times when you couldn't define the "partner," "Blue Jay," yadda yadda yadda. I think I followed your story pretty easy but there were just parts where I had to read it a second time to get who was doing what. As in the way of improvement, I'd say to work on that and to also show us more than tell us. What I mean is that you say "He did this," and "She did that," without giving us a window to their deeper thoughts and emotions. We need that link - not necessarily through everyone but through someone - so that we have eyes to see through. Not much to say in the way of plot because it's really just begun, but so far it sounds pretty interesting, so just message me if you want a review on the next chapter.
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

199 Reviews

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:04 am
Apple says...

Thank you both. I thought the same, though its hard because the creature is a demon and I can't necessarily call it Jim. I was thinking of scrapping the whole thing because I've spent quite a lot of time trying to get it right and it doesn't seem to work. But...I'll think of something.
I spy!

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 pm
Sins says...

Yo. Pear. *Nods*

It was actually creepy that you requested a review from me on this because I was actually going to read and review it anyway... You psychic dwarf! I'm not sure if you want me to comment on nit-picks, but you don't have a choice because I feel like doing them... So ha.

How someone could drive a knife into another person’s chest belittled me.

It might be just me, but I think you could have come up with a better suited word here. As for the sentence itself...

Well, what you do first is grab a knife - Machete's are always a safe bet - but make sure you grab the handle. Be careful you don't grasp too tightly, otherwise it might get your fingerpr- Oh, I mean. Yeah. Me too. Terrible, aye.

He hammered his fingers skilfully across the buttons, the little character on the screen jumping over petite mushroom figures.

Mario! :D

Jaidon jumped from his chair and screamed loudly “I did it! I clocked the level! In your face!” He pointed at me with his Gameboy and instantly froze.

Haha, I like this kid.

Looking around him, his eyes fell on his Father. Sister Gretchen gazed up from her closed hands. Spite dwindled within her eyes before she banished them with a blink of her wiry lashes.

This is something I've noticed you doing quite often, and that is using short sentences often. Short sentences are good for tension and suspense, but in parts like this, a comma or two would be better suited.

“Amen.” The other Sisters filled in the silence, looking fearfully up at Sister Gretchen.

Dialogue punctuation, Pear. GOD. (Get it? Eh? Eh? Eh?)

“The old bag looks like she is going to explode!” Jaidon whispered as he sunk lower and lower into his seat to avoid the piercing gaze of Sister Gretchen.

He's a very cool kid, fair play.

Sybil stopped at the stairs above Mr. and Mrs. Maher’s coffins. They were closed from people seeing inside. In fact, Sister Gretchen hadn’t even opened it since the beginning of church! Aren’t you supposed to do that?

Aren't there no bodies in the coffins anyway? You said earlier that the bodies of the pensioners who'd snuffed it weren't found, so what's in the coffins...? :| If the body is missing in funerals, I'm pretty sure they don't have the coffins.

“What is she waiting for? Christmas?” Jaidon said loudly, waving his hand impatiently in the air.

*Applauds*

Her eyes fluttered back and she stood slowly, the Nuns moving away from her. Her eye colour changed to a deep red. Screaming in agony, she placed her hands to her head, a mask of pain covering her usually serene face.

Pfft, she's so faking it. My eyes go red, like, every day.

Jaidon stood up beside me. “What the hell is happening to her?”

She has serious period pains. Duh.

Before I could even step forward, Jaidon shoved me in the back, pushing me until I was out of the rows of suffocating chairs.

“C’mon!” he called over his shoulder, bursting through the church doors. Light framed his body as he escaped into the streets.

Wasn't he behind her in the last sentence...? Did he become a Power Ranger and leap over her head...?

Jaidon pulled himself onto the railing, kicking his legs underneath him as if he were a little child.

I know what you're trying to say here, I think, but it took me a while... I think you should try rephrasing it. It was the kicking his legs underneath him part. It gave me an image of him skipping for some reason... Say that he was kicking his foot against on one of the bars or something.

It was a bad habit, but I always did it. Bitting into the nail on my thumb, my eyes followed Sister Gretchen.

“Or, it could be the incense fumes you keep around the church?” Jaidon began before quickly looking away as Sister Gretchen turned her attention towards him.

I am going to quote everything epic this kid says.

Jaidon sighed, brushing sweat from his forehead. “Good, we’re still alive. I swear she was going to throw us into a pot of boiling water and start cutting up some herbs and spices. ‘Don’t worry dearies, this is only to make you smell nicer!’” he began to hyperventilate, placing a thin hand to his chest.

Even though what he's saying is, in fact, epic, it seems a bit odd. Someone's just turned into an official nutter, and he seems awfully calm about it. I'm finding his reactions a slight bit unrealistic.

We may have been, before Dad died…

Delete that comma, Pear. Lick it, burn it, snap it in half, and dance around it.

Don’t mention tonight! I mouthed.

Italics or die.

Well, I am curious to know if you are, he replied, pouting his lips and crossing his hands over his chest.

Once again, italics or die.

It was a surprise they were even alive, after all; no one tended to them.

Grabbing at a thorn in his pants, he tugged it out, whimpering as it came away creating a gaping hole. His pink elephant underwear suddenly visible. I laughed at him, pointing with my fingers at the hole. Jaidon was a lot smaller then me.

Awww... he doesn't do much for himself.

“So you are coming tonight?” Jaidon asked, rubbing at the hole in his pants.

I nodded, a smile lingering on my cheeks. “Yes, Sybil just had another one of her dizzy spells. It’s not gonna stop us from coming to your house.” I looked up into the sky.

I thought Jaidon was her brother because of your MC's attitude towards him... but he seems a bit young to be living out of home if he is Baylee's brother.

What ever Salem didn’t want, it was always forced onto Gallagher’s shoulders. Since Salem was the closest city to Gallagher, we relied on it heavily. In fact, Salem was the only place closest to Gallagher for miles.

Salem, Gallagher, Salem, Gallagher... this sounded funny in my head... :lol: Maybe you could rephrase it a bit. Or it might just be me...

“We’re not dating!” Jaidon and I said in sync.

Definitely not siblings then... :lol:

Ever since pre-school, Zima, Jana and Suzy had been making it their goal to push me into the dirt every time we crossed paths.

“What?” I placed Sybil over the car boot, rolling my shoulder as the pain lifted.

She chucked her sister in the boot... O.O

“You’ll just have to be patient!” I watched Jaidon grab at a piece of grass and place it in between his teeth. “You know we have some guy staying over our house?”

Why is he eating grass...?

“It’s not that.” Jaidon’s eyes lit up with excitement. “When Dad was in the shower I raided his suitcase and…” He left the rest blank, as if wanting the anticipation to kill me

As the car began to pull away, I spotted Zima huddled by the Church stairs, staring at her shoes as if they were the most interesting thing on the face of the earth. I wonder what happened to her.

She is so going to go mental.

Overall

I like. *nods* I like very much. You have a really good amount of mystery in this, and you've managed to get the balance just right. I want to know what's up with Baylee's sister, what Jaiden was on about, and I want to know when Sima's going to go mental. :D The good thing about your mystery is that it doesn't take over the entire piece and simply leave me confused. You'd be surprised how often that happens. Although it happens to me more often because I'm awfully confusable. As you might be able to tell, I love Jaiden's character; he's very entertaining. I like Baylee as well and it's easy to read what's going on through her eyes. Overall your grammar was very good. I did find the odd little slip up, but nothing worth axing your brains out over.

Although Jaiden's character is great, I was confused with who he actually was in some points through the chapter, especially by the time I'd reached the middle. At the beginning, I figured that he was her brother because of the way Baylee described him and acted around him. It's kind of hard to explain... For example, when he was playing on his Game Boy, it was clear that Baylee thought it was a bit stupid which doesn't seem all that best friend suited. When she was mentioned him looking like a twelve your old, it just sounded like something I'd say or think about my brother. Another reason I thought they were siblings was because of the fact that Jaiden was in someone's funeral, sitting with someone else's family... Do his own family have an issue with funerals or something? It was also the way he talked about Sybil; it was as though she was his sister. The whole dating comments thing made it clear that they weren't, in fact, siblings. Before that though, I would have easily assumed that they were brother and sister.

Other than that though, I can't really notice anything else that particular bothers me. I was a bit unsure about some of your characters reactions though, come to think of it. Jaiden's reactions were especially odd. I get that he's got a rather jokey, carefree personality, but still, seeing someone possessed is kind of scary. I also thought that Baylee acted rather calm about the whole thing as well. She seemed to be more bothered about shoving her sister into a car than the fact that she'd just had a menty at the funeral. The mother's reactions were more realistic and I liked how it gave the impression that she may just be favouring Sybil over Baylee. That's something I think you should bare in mind though; your character's reactions to happenings likes this. ;)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:09 pm
Jenthura says...

Well, I'd love to do a thorough critique, but Skins beat me to it. It's an awesome start, but, as Nikilow said it, it's rather confusing. I would slow down and lengthen it. Don't cut it into two chapters, just make it longer.
Nicely done!
Jenth
-ж-Ж-ж-

199 Reviews

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:47 pm
Apple says...

Thank you both for the reviews. They're extremely helpful! THANKYOU!!!!
I spy!

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Jashael says...

Hey, Apple! Sarreh for the delay! I was supposed to be the first one to post here!!!! X((
But my mouse was glitching then. ARrggh...anyway, I'm here and I hope I still could help you.

Just take note, I don't have much time to read the reviewers above me so I pardon if I repeat anything.

Nitpicks
Pay attention

“We are gathered here today to commemorate the loss of Jansen and Carmen Maher. Their long and brave lives were taken in the most unjust of ways within a matter of minutes,” Sister Gretchen began, her voice filled with sad mockery.

~ NP (NP means new Paragraph, I'll be using that throughout the review)

Light filtered through the glass windows within the church, an image of Jesus stretched across the ground. I moved in my seat uncomfortably, pulling my light blue dress over my knees as it began to rise.

~ delete NP

I could hear the faint sound of Jaidon’s game boy ticking beside me.

It was only when the church bell started to chime did the sickening feeling of death hit the whole of Gallagher. I looked down to see Jaidon’s tongue poking out the side of his mouth. He hammered his fingers skilfully across the buttons, the little character on the screen jumping over petite mushroom figures.

Cutiie! It's MARIO!! Am I right or am I right?! XD

Jaidon was one of those people who didn’t believe Mr. and Mrs. Maher’s were dead; even though their coffins were circled by sobbing Nunn’s, moaning prayers

Semicolon is not needed. Actually, there is no punctuation needed here.

Shifting yet again in my seat, I ignored the stares from the people behind me who I seemed to be annoying.

That should be "whom", right?! 0_o

Mum sniffed, dragging a handkerchief under her glassy green eyes.

~ NP

“Let’s bend our heads together in a little prayer.” Sister Gretchen’s voice was stiff, not soft as it should have been.

See, you tend to squeeze paragraphs with dialogue. Dialogues are most of the time entered to a new paragraph. Try to always enter a NP when entering a dialogue. If you don't, it confuses the reader. Like, I thought her mom was about to speak, but then I read, "oh, sister Gretchen and her monotonous tone..." she's boring XD but I didn't mean your story was boring. Quite clever you put in a boring character. A boring character in a good way, if you know what I mean. XD

Looking up at me dazed, his [color=#800080]blonde[/color] fringe fell over his small face.

"Looking up to me dazed" was a bit confusing.

"Blonde" is used to refer to female whose hair is a light-colored--uh--color. XD "e" should be omitted if you're referring to the color. =)) It's actually derogatory by the way.

I motioned with my head at my hands and it suddenly dawned on him.

And you motioned the what with the what?! 0_o

“God, Holy Father…Please forgive us for our sins. We’re dutifully bound to your words…” My eyes began to flutter closed.

[color=#FF0000]~ NP[/color]

Jaidon jumped from his chair and screamed loudly “I did it! I clocked the level! In your face!” He pointed at me with his Gameboy and instantly froze. Looking around him, his eyes fell on his Father.

Funneh, mean Jaidon. XD

They were closed from people seeing inside. In fact, Sister Gretchen hadn’t even opened it since the beginning of church!

Aren’t you supposed to do that? Bowing her head, Sybil muttered something before placing the bouquet of flowers upon the coffin. I cast a glance at Mum’s watch, clicking my tongue impatiently. So I may have been acting a little rude, but what else could I do. We had been sitting in church for the past half an hour and we still hadn’t gotten anywhere!

Whoopzie....exclamation mark quite overdone. In the first one, I think, it's better with a period. In the second one, I still think a period is better. But whichever exclamation point you pick is fine. Just omit one for the sake of distracting readers.

Mine, and practically everyone else’s in the room, hands flew to our mouths.

The what what? 0_o I suggest this:

Everyone's hands flew to our mouths, including mine.

Or just simple say everyone's hands flew to our mouths.

“My baby!” Mum began to rush through the crowd trying to get to my sister; fear fleeing through her eyes.

Semicolon should be comma instead. =)

Her pupils dilated and she fell, slipping back into Mum’s chest. Silence reeked through the church, people too traumatized to say anything else.

I know you're gonna repeat this, and I'm going to point out that, too. But please review homonyms. It could be confusing I know.

Bitting into the nail on my thumb, my eyes followed Sister Gretchen.
Placing her hands onto Sybil’s forehead, a shadow cast over her withered face.

~ NP

“She will be alright, Vivienne. God gave her a sign! You should be very proud.” Mum looked up at her as if she had grown a second head. “I’ve seen it only once before. A man is given the words of God, in which he tells his fellow beings of crisis.” Sister Gretchen’s voice slithered with fake emotion, her eyes telling the truth.

Well, I am curious to know if you are. He replied, pouting his lips and crossing his hands over his chest.

If Jaidon here mouthed back, we should know. Instead of saying "he replied" say "he mouthed back."

OVERALL

Apple, above are the examples of each nitpick I could get. You have a prob with paragraphs. I suggest you study paragraph building. Now, in a paragraph, everything must be in order and related to each other. You just can't throw in whatever happens, then dialogues.

Your punctuations were fairly good, but I have to point out that you had some mistakes with dialogue:

“Yeah, ever since your date with Mark you’ve been all quiet,” Jana said, placing her hands on her hips. I rolled my eyes at Jaidon who was to busy trying not to laugh.

Did you see it? When using "said" or some other verb that directly states what was said, you use comma! --ugh, it's hard to explain. =| But I know you'll get it. You could always PM me if you wanna understand it more.

So there, I think really the prob was the paragraph.

Then the story was also interesting. I'm excited to know what that was, some kind of vision or something? Oh, no. she's jealous of her sister. Was there really anything to be jealous of? 0_o Is this Fantasy? XD then coolio, I love fantasy. XD Keep writing, Apple! You make your cover-artist proud! =))

~~ Jash ♥

P.S. Sorry for being a bit disorganized. I write stream-of-consciousness novels, I also write stream-of-conscoiusness reviews LOL
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey Apps!
Pink here, sorry I'm late :)
I blame NaNo. The little vampire thing is sucking all my time!

Now, I won't go into minor nitpicks and all because it seems like Skins likes to do that. The little nitpicker that she is.
So, I'm just going to state a few things that I noticed and work my way from there, if you don't mind. :)
I looked down to see Jaidon’s tongue poking out the side of his mouth. He hammered his fingers skilfully across the buttons, the little character on the screen jumping over petite mushroom figures.

It would be nice to have an introduction to exactly who Jaidon is here. You mention quite a bit of things about him without connecting this character to the story. Is he the son? Why is he not bothered? Does he not believe that they are dead or does he just not comprehend 'death' itself? Fun fact, I didn't know people died until I was about 8 years old. Yup. No one told me people would pass away and when my cousin darkened my paradise with the truth, I cried. -__- Anyway, I would have liked a clear understanding of who this character was. Possibly, Jaidon, my brother/friend/son thing would have worked fine too.
Also, I thoroughly enjoyed your opener. It's interesting and subtle, working it's way to capture our attention. Good job. Ten points for you. =D
My eyes began to flutter closed. Sister Gretchen’s voice was so droning! She always stayed on the same octave, refusing to change her tone. Letting my head sink towards my knees, I felt a hand jostle my shoulder, forcing my eyes to widen.

This here gives me a bad impression of her character. Someone who would dare fall asleep during a funeral? D:
We had been sitting in church for the past half an hour and we still hadn’t gotten anywhere!

Half an hour sitting down isn't that much. Why complain? lol

“Everyone will fall prey! No survivors!” Sybil began to writher in Mum’s arms. Her mouth opening and closing like a fish pulled out of water. I felt my heart clench, shock rendering across my face.

Did you perhaps mean wither? Also, this little seizure thing here seems a bit odd. Slightly leaning towards 'unbelievable' but it's a minimum. Therefore, I'm not going to bother about it too much. Also, on a side note, it seems like your trying to get her to say some symbolic things that we may see through the rest of this novel, which is kind of cool.

Overall

Well, well, I do think that was a nice read on my part. Enticing, written well with few grammatical errors and such and spiced with some mystery and good characterization. Most of the time, I find characters to be slightly cliche and they don't have their own 'thing' but you were good enough to give me glimpse of the people they are and even made me dislike a few of them and some of the actions but that's good. Nobody's perfect. Now, even with that said, I do think there is room for improvement.

It seems to me that you introduced a lot of characters in the first chapter of this making it quite hard to swallow all the names and personalities. I get Jaidon and the protagonist but the rest make me feel lost and question who they are and what their connection to everything is. But, you can't always provide description for all the characters, I understand that. With that said, I don't think it was that bad - you did a decent job placing the characters in and the opening scene was a catcher. I do however, wish we had some background info to this. Maybe a scene of them actually going to the funeral so we have a good idea of who everyone is and their ties with one an another. Placing a large number of characters in the first chapter isn't a good idea and sometimes can overwhelm a reader.

All in all, this was intriguing to read and as others have already stated a bit too much to take in and wee-bit confusing. Loosen up the first chapter, making it rather complicated will scare away readers. Other than that, you did pretty well! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. :)

Keep writing,
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:28 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello there Fuji Apple!

Here as promised.

First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the (really long) delay, it's just because of the homeworks that came and flooded my weekends. And I also thought that reviewing the first chapter would be better before doing the second one.

I don't think I have many things to clarify and say. I mean, there have been loads of good critiques above me and repeating some nitpicks might annoy you already. So I hope this would probably be worth the wait.

Talking about grammars, I think you've done pretty well on that. I could still spot on some blunders but they've been corrected already, so no worries for that. And I was impressed to see that you really do show things, you've managed to depict your main character's feelings, thoughts and surroundings very well. So you deserve three baskets of strawberries for you. Though I'm sure you're not allergic to that kind of fruit, right? :3

Okay. Going back, I was also interested of your characters. Story plot wise, I think the pace, flow and the concept are all good. And I wasn't really that distracted from lots of characters you've mentioned here. Although I think you've spoon-fed us that much- but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing- so just don't rush to introduce your characters to your readers. And speaking about characters, I liked it how you make some of them quite enjoyable and interesting, like Jaidon. They are some which are very realistic. But just like what I've said earlier, just don't give us too many of characters, especially about the first few parts. However, I think the death of the old couple are really intriguing.

Overall, this is good. You've written this well, so yay for that! And I really hope you see this review helpful, 'cause I doubt this is. lol. But anyways, if you have confusions or any questions, just PM me. :D

Keep writing and peace out,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:46 pm
Dragonet says...

This is amazing, Apple, I didn't know you were such a talented writer! I loved it! Your discription was really good. And it kept me curious, which is good. Gosh, I envy you *mumbles*
Anywho, I did have a couple nitpics but I haven't read the whole thing yet, so I'm going to finish it before I make my full review. 'Kay?
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:15 am
ashleymae says...

I have to admit that at some parts I was so confused, but at others, I was not.

You do have an excellent story, I should add. In my opinion, I think you have an amazing idea swarmming in your head. I did enjoy it most of the part, except for when I became utterly confused. That, I think, is your only flaw.

I highly encourage you to KEEP on writing, no matter what and continue this story and do not stop writing it until and only until it is FULLY completed and you are happy with what you have created. Just, please do not stop at all!
"Together we fight, no matter the price"

-Harlana and Robin, Sweetest Magic

Life is about losing everything.
— Isabel Allende