but only catching smoke

This is the fate
of those that get hooked
strung out
and pulled under
by the drugs
that tempt the youth
of today
topic68479.html <---- Click here to have your poems reviewed!

Theres always a rainbow after the Rain!!!!!!!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:26 am
RhaniGrace says...

You're on to something here, the way in which you describe drugs as deceiving demons is fantastic and expresses the darkness that can be drug addiction. Your poem has a good flow to it, it's easy and enjoyable to read with an important message to young people.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:06 am
simplycomplex says...

Hey! Good descriptions and I like the way you have those descriptions but also present an important message without ruining your poem.
Where there was once life
it's (or "it is") now a lifeless nothing
monsters hide
behind human faces
that cheat and lie
with fake smiles
to earn the trust
of the young souls

Demons disguise ("Demons" is plural so the next line should stay plural also)
as fun little games
all the while
gaining the trust
and graining away
the lives of the youth

The first three stanzas are good but there are some grammar mistakes I came across here and there.

Whose minds swirl
twirl and whirl

They're fighting against
a force greater than themselves

Overall, I thought you did a good job with getting your message across while staying poetic. The first stanza is a good opening for the poem, though the last stanza seems to state the idea like a conclusion and doesn't flow as well. Maybe put a simile in there, like instead of "This is the fate..." put something like "The fate of those... is like...".
Good job and keep writing!
Do we not all agree to call rapid thought and noble impulse by the name of inspiration?
- George Eliot

"It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart."

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:03 pm
Reuben A says...

Alo Rain! Call me blind, but I couldn't find any grammar or spelling mistakes, that hasn't already been pointed out,so everything I'm critting on is personal preference and my opinion

monsters hide
behind human faces

I absolutely wuv this piece!! :D

and graining away
the lives of the youth

Here, don't remove yourself from the poem,it takes away some of the emotion, and some people might think of it as patronising...

due to the drugs
that claim so many

I don't like the due to the drugs bit. For me, one of the wonders of poetry is that you can interpret the poem in anyway you want, so that way someone who has some sort of other addiction can also relate to it. Also, as the teenagers we are, it begins to sound a bit like an anti-drug lecture and most people (specifically druggies) will automatically switch off then, so for it to have a bigger impact, phrase it more indirectly. The same in the last stanza. Wow that sounds kind of harsh... anyway, besides those two points I really liked it, its well written, and I love the way you describe the drugs, but like I said, don't make it that plain, but you can still make it pretty obvious you're talking about drugs, and since the reader (assuming he/she is a druggie) won't lose interest as soon as they read 'due to drugs', I think it will have a big impact. Keep writing!! :D :D
So stadig loop ons deur die pers Jakarandas wat val,die bome word kaal Pa staar na die beeld van Botha wat reis op sy perd,Hy wonder was bloed soveel werd.Soveel jare dra hy aan die naam van 'n plek,Soveel jare moet ons nou laat gaan,Is die naam dan so erg,so bitter en sleg?Hoekom gooi jul dit weg?

News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver