z

Young Writers Society

Pygmalion

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:34 pm
Jetpack says...

Rated 12+ for suggestion/content. Nothing too worrying, though.

Those luminescent firefly eyes blink at me in the darkness, and Lady Night lifts a soft hand to touch my cheek with a breeze. The air around me is cool and the fireflies hang like earthly stars beneath the sprawling galaxies in the foliage. I only look behind me once, because tonight I can hear her voice, brushing against my thoughts, moonlighting in the music of the leaves. The melody is mine alone.

“Sweet Venus,” I implore the plants, “why am I alone? Why do I remain untouched by Cupid’s arrow, and impervious to the women whose gazes would pierce Achilles’ heel? Is this your choice? Is this my doom?”

There is no answer but the swaying of the trees, and so I fade back into mortality. The goddess is lost to me, and sends no other name in her place; I am Pygmalion – unembellished.

When I return to the home I have left unguarded by the wife I should have taken years before, I caress the tangled vines that creep along the building’s side. I shiver. My answer has come late; inspiration strikes like poison in my blood and the hunk of ivory, carved into the shape of a dove, is stamped on my heart. A name is written in my palm and I know that I will hold it there until I can give it to its owner.

Galatea.

Her face is crafted from the unfinished wing and her hair is soft as feathers to my touch. She has bottomless eyes and pursed lips, which will part like an oyster one day and impart to me her pearls. I shape her body with closed eyes but her image scars my thoughts, until I run from the room to bring a maid’s billowing dress and hide her inside it. She is flawless.

I open my fist and let her name fly free, a butterfly, towards her. It strokes her lips and I know that somewhere, she is whispering it. She is becoming Galatea, as white as milk, and when I look into her blind eyes, I can see her soul looking back: innocent, and unreachable.

It seems that I carry her with me to the market and that she stands beside me, shunning other men and berating the poor woman who dares to spark a conversation. I see her in the corner of my eye, no longer in maid’s clothing but in the shocking white of the upper class. Her beauty is immeasurable. I long to reach out and feel warm flesh and bone on my fingertips, but ivory is heartless, and cold as winter snow.

I buy her a manner of trinkets, so that the merchants call out to me and mock me for love. I deny it all and clutch the polished gemstones in my hand. I collect tiny rubies and amber rocks and examine swirling conches.

“Do you love her, Pygmalion?” a sparrow squeals. I nod, and the sparrow hops to my shoulder. “A wish, Pygmalion? Venus is listening.”

I am ashamed to say the words, but I pay for the sparrow and move on.

Later, I cannot say whether Galatea rejoices at the sight of her gifts. She is immobile, and I have to close my eyes before I can really see her, leaning in towards me. I breathe deeply, and kiss her, but it is like kissing the gemstones themselves. They are scintillating, but for all their wonder, they are without life.

“A wish, Pygmalion?” says the sparrow, circling Galatea, but still I am silent and can only wipe away a tear as it builds in my eye. Where is her soul now? Her eyes are too deep, and too blind.

“Venus is listening.” The sparrow begins to sing. It is chilling – a funeral lament, I believe. It is mourning my loss, and my stupidity.

Still it sings as I crawl into bed, defeated, with Imagination beside me, taunting me with the likeness of Galatea. She tosses feathery hair and murmurs my name, and I watch myself remove her disguise and bask in the full meaning of beauty. I strip away the ivory and the cold and replace it with a blush in her cheeks and moisture in her lips as she kisses me, and this time there is life. My sense cannot fight desire as she rolls over and I see the perfect curve in her back, without scar or blemish, forever young. We sleep the night together with a sparrow’s voice ringing in my ears, and in the morning, half-awake, it seems that I pull an arrow out of my heart. Once struck, I cannot forget.

“I have a prayer, my golden goddess,” I begin, stammering with nerves. “I wish for a maiden, like my Galatea, to stand beside me.”

“You do not want Galatea?” the sparrow screeches, laughing, for it knows otherwise. I am as transparent as the air itself, and my love is as dazzling bright as the Sun. It cannot be disguised.

I see a glimmer of movement and hear a final note as the sparrow shoots out of the house, leaving me alone with the statue. She is nameless to me now as I turn, for it seems I have given her name away to the goddess of love without care. What was once ours now belongs to another, and I pray that she will return it.

Nervous as never before, I renew my love for her with a kiss, and it seems to me that her lips redden before me. I kiss her neck, and a pulse beats back against me. I pull her close, and flesh protests, softening beneath my heavy fingers like clay to a potter’s hands. So I kiss again, and again, and each time a little more ivory melts away and a soul floods her body. She has become Galatea; I look at her and her eyes are watery blue with tears.

As the sun embraces her humanity, a sparrow sings for a new dawn. I am Pygmalion – complete.

-x-

Spoiler! :
This is the first I've written in months - since Christmas, actually. Please rip it. And I based my version of the myth on this, if you were wondering. I'm mainly concerned about purple prose as it's my usual problem, so any comments on that are greatly appreciated. Well, any comments at all are greatly appreciated, actually. Oh, it's a working title, and I have no clue as to how to get rid of that big space in the middle. Apologies!

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:17 am
Sarah Pass says...

This was so amazing!!! It reminding me of the kind of books my teacher has us read in our classical literature class. I loved that it wasn't your average love story. It was so much deeper than that, it actually makes a person think and I love that about it. Keep writing because your story was an absolute joy to read.
Giving in is easy,fighting for what you believe in is the hard part.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:46 pm
*coco says...

Hi, Jetpack! Thanks a bunch for requesting a review (and yes, I do remember you reviewing Of Loss and Love - I've been awol rewriting that story - check it out when you can - only if you want to of course :D ) So, in your spoiler you wrote that you wanted this piece to be ripped apart - how can I possibly do that when, in my opinion, it's so perfect the way it is? What I'll do instead is just talk about what I loved about it:

:arrow: Your writing - it reminded me of Shakespeare. It was clever and flowed wonderfully, creating really lovely imagery.

Nervous as never before, I renew my love for her with a kiss, and it seems to me that her lips redden before me. I kiss her neck, and a pulse beats back against me. I pull her close, and flesh protests, softening beneath my heavy fingers like clay to a potter’s hands. So I kiss again, and again, and each time a little more ivory melts away and a soul floods her body. She has become Galatea; I look at her and her eyes are watery blue with tears.

As the sun embraces her humanity, a sparrow sings for a new dawn. I am Pygmalion – complete.

I especially loved the ending!

:arrow: Your dialogue -
“Sweet Venus,” I implore the plants, “why am I alone? Why do I remain untouched by Cupid’s arrow, and impervious to the women whose gazes would pierce Achilles’ heel? Is this your choice? Is this my doom?”

One word. Flawless. In this short sentence you really manage to set the scene and the personality of your character. Well done!

:arrow: Your plot - so original. It was so clever of you to take the poem as inspiration for this piece, because it really shows your skill as a writer. :D

So, I could go on about what I loved about this piece. I know this isn't one of the most helpful reviews but what can I do, I just found this so great! Thank you so much for the read, and I look forward to reading more...yes more...I want more!!

*coco

P.S. I totally envy your skill as a writer :D
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello there JP!

Here as requested.

First of all, thanks for the request. :)

I won't really nitpick every line because I think this is pretty well written and quite classical. As what Coco has said, this remind me of Shakespeare's writing style, but really more of Greek mythologies because of the involvement of the gods or goddesses in your story. I'm not really fond of reading those kind of things, but hey, I find this very dramatic in a good way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this has a similar story from one of the Greek myths. It's like a story about a man who created a very beautiful and dazzling sculptured woman and then the man begins to fall for the statue. (something like that) :wink:

Okay, let's go back. hehe.

This piece is very rare and unique. The pace is good and so with your verb consistency and punctuations. You've managed to reveal the main character's emotion well even if to say that this piece is short. You also got some skills when it comes to your usage of good words and how you portray things properly. You also entertained me from the very first word until the very last one; a good ending line you have there. :wink:

Sorry, if you see this short. It's because I think this is really an enjoyable piece. This is quite refreshing too.
PM me for questions. :D

Keep writing!

Peace out! :smt004

~yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.
— J.K. Rowling