z

Young Writers Society

Things come out right in the end

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:01 am
Day says...

This is a short play I wrote for a romance play assignment. I decided to post it here so that I could get some critique for the next time I need to write a play. Well nothing else to say, but I hope you enjoy.

---------------------------------------------
Scene 1 – Homework

Mary, a fifteen year old girl living in the small town of Brookside, has an essay due that she just cant concentrate on, but since when can she concentrate on homework at all?

Mary: (throws computer mouse in frustration) Ugh, I’ll never been done this stupid essay! Why do they… (Phone rings and she yanks it off her bedside table.) Hello?

Matt: (On the Phone) Hey, What’s up?

Mary: Oh, hi Matt. Your not calling to ask me if I will go to the beach are you? Because if you are then (matt interrupts)

Matt: Nah, I just called to ask you how the essay was going.

Mary: (Sounds depressed) It’s not going well; I’m definitely not going to be done for Mr. Taylor’s class tomorrow and my mom wants me to clean up my room tonight.

Matt: (Sigh) That bad? Well I will look over what you’ve written tomorrow morning and see if I can fix it.

Mary: (Happy/excited/joking tone) Yay, I love you Matt!

Matt: (mumbles) whatever but this is the last time… (normal voice) see you tomorrow then

Mary: Ok, bye Matt (hangs up phone then looks around the hazardous wasteland that is her bedroom) God…

Scene 2 – School

School just ended and Mary, Matt and their two friends Anna and Dan are discussing the upcoming beach trip and Friday night at Matt’s mansion.

Anna: Matt! Did you help Mary with that essay?

Matt: (stumbles due to his inability to lie) Nope

Anna: (Rolls eyes) oh whatever, so Mary are you gonna come with us to the beach?

Dan: Yea what do you have to lose?

Mary: (sigh) you know I don’t like going to the beach.

Anna:(Smirks) How about we double date, Daniel and I and you and Matt?

Mary: (aside) She is always trying to get me and Matt together ever since I told her I like him. Just because we have all been friends since kindergarten and it worked out for those two doesn’t mean I want to sacrifice my friendship with Matt. (End aside) (Blushes) Fine! I’ll go if you just stop nagging me day and night.

Anna: (happy with her victory) Yay!

Matt: (wants to change the topic) So you are all going to come over to my house on Friday night right?

Dan: (Pushes open the doors to the parking lot and then lets everyone through) Anna and I will be there.

Mary: Well I don’t know, I still have a lot of homework to do for Monday

Matt: I’ll take care of that now can I count you? Plus I need someone to talk to other than those two (gestures toward Dan and Anna)

Anna: (Pulls out of the kiss she had been sharing with Dan) Hey!

Matt: (Looking doubtful) Anyone need a ride home?

Mary: (Mocking) I’m gonna walk home Mr. I’ve got my license and you don’t.

Dan: Anna and I are gonna walk home too. (Glances over at her)

Matt: (gets into his bright red mustang and starts the engine) Whatever I better see you at my door at exactly 9:30

Anna: Ok, bye Matt see you tomorrow! (Turns with Dan in arm and they start walking down the side walk)

Matt: (backing up in his car) I still cant get over those two.

Mary: (Nervous) Yea, well bye Matt.

Matt: (shrugs, starts driving away and flashes the peace symbol over his shoulder)

Scene 3 – Popcorn

Friday Night.

Matt’s Maid: Dear your guests are at the door.

Matt: (Shouts while rushing toward the door) Thanks! (Opens the door)

Mary:(Steps inside) Hi Matt, Are Dan and Anna here yet?

Matt: (Closes the door and leads the familiar path to the basement) Nah, Dan just texted me said they would be here ten minutes late so for now it’s just us. (Notices the bag full of books Mary is carrying) I’m guessing that is the homework?

Mary: (Hands Matt the bag full of homework and accidentally brushes Matt’s hand making her blush) Yea, you can see I’m a bit behind…

Matt: (After examining the bags contents he opens the basement door and begins to descend) Ha! This isn’t even enough to last me one night!

Mary: (Follows Matt downstairs into his huge basement theatre complete with a popcorn machine, a huge TV, and two couches.) Oh shut up!

Matt:(Smirks) Go pick a movie while I start the popcorn machine.

Mary: (Walks over to Matt’s huge closet of DVD’s some haven’t even come out of the theatre yet) Haven’t you already seen all of these movies?

Matt: (Putting the popped popcorn in a bag) Just because you guys think I have a lot of time doesn’t mean that I do.

Mary: (Grabs “Extreme Weddings gone wrong” off the shelf) Mmmhmm. I wonder what is taking Dan and Anna so long?

Matt: (Visualizes Anna and Dan kissing) Err; I’m guessing they got side tracked. What movie did you pick out? (Walks over toward the couch and jumps on)

Mary: (Walks to the couch and sits down next to Matt) I picked “Extreme Weddings Gone Wrong.”

Matt: (Sarcastic) Oh god, not again why do we always have to watch this dumb movie. Dan and I have to sit through this every sleepover we have. Are sure there is no other movie you want to watch.

Mary: (Indignant/jokingly throws a piece of popcorn at him) I love this movie!

Matt: (Picks up a lot of popcorn and chucks it at Mary) ha-ha!

Mary: (girl scream) Ah!!! (Then she reaches in and grabs two handfuls of popcorn and throws it at Matt)

Matt: Oh it’s on. (What follows is the largest popcorn war ever)

Scene 4 – Intruding?

It is 10:20, Matt and Mary are exhausted after the popcorn fight and the room is littered with it. Dan and Anna walk down into the basement and find Mary and Matt snuggled on the couch under one of Matt’s big blankets.

Dan: (Upon walking down the basement steps) Whoa! This place is trashed.

Anna: (Whispering) Shhhh!! Look at Mary and Matt. Do you think Mary told him?

Dan: (Also whispering at the bottom of the steps) Nah… Want to go to my house tonight? That way these lovebirds can have the night to themselves.

Anna: (Still Whispering then turns to walk up steps) Yea cmon

Scene 5 – Post-battle Recovery

Mary and Matt lost in their own world didn’t even hear Anna and Dan come into the basement. It has been half an hour since they came down and now Mary and Matt are engaged in asking each other random questions.

Matt: (Holding her hand while completely pressed against the side of her body under the blanket) What would be your favorite spot to vacation at if you could go anywhere in the world?

Mary: (puts on her thinking look) That’s a tough one, probably an island in the Caribbean. What about you?

Matt: I like to stay here because it is where you, Anna and Dan are at. I’m happy wherever I can talk to the people I care about. So who do you like right now? I know you used to like that one skater Hunter right?

Mary: (Blushes) I don’t like him anymore silly! That was back in like 6th grade. Would you go budgie jumping?

Matt: (puts on a pouting face) that’s not fair you didn’t answer my question, but no way would I budgie jump I’m way to scared of heights.

Mary: (Blushes a deeper shade of red) How about I tell you if you tell me first?

Matt: But it was my question first! You have to answer it, but since I’m nice I will tell you who I like after you tell me.

Mary: (Turns on her pouting face) Aww please Matt!!

Matt: (in defeat) you know I cant say no to that face! So you want the truth?

Mary: Yes (she waits eagerly and yet scared to hear his answer.)

Matt:(Pauses for a minute then is reassured by her hand on his) Ok well…. The truth is I’ve liked you since 9th grade.

Mary: (a rush of relief and happiness floods over her, but she pauses) really?

Matt: (turning red) Yea, your so beautiful and I love everything about you.

Mary: (leans over and kisses him)

Matt: (dazed) Wow that was amazing!

Mary: (kisses him again, but longer and harder than before) yea….

Matt: (Pulling out of the kiss) So are we together then?

Mary: Forever.

END
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:26 pm
Ella_Mercy says...

Aww! I love it i love it i love it. Its like the perfect daydream. Obviously, this is a rarity to happen in real life, but its well done: not too cliché or gooey.

Theres a couple of grammatical errors, like, "bungee jumping" not budgie jumping etcetera, but they're easily corrected. Just ask a friend to proof read and run it through a spell checker.

Even in this short work, the character of Matt develops quite alot, I love how he first appears to be the shy, geeky guy who falls in love with a girl he could never get, and ends up doing all her homework and stuff in a desperate but hopeless attempt to get her to like him. He turns out to be more :)

Well done with the italics and everything- I can never be bothered to do them :)

Good Luck

Ella XP
I am not talking about the person you would die for. I am talking about to the person you would live for.

-------

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 am
Day says...

Thanks for being the first to comment I appreciate it! As for the actual work I turned in I fixed bungee in both incidents although it would appear that I didn't save the word document after I was finished.

EDIT: Matt is intended to be the main character.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 pm
brittbritt12347 says...

lol omg this play is so cute yea a real day dream most likely to never come true. :) The only mistake I could find was how you spelled bungie lol but other than that it was AWESOME!!! You should make plays more often :D ....I would totally read them!! :)
The truth will come out baby, and you'll be the only one lost in the dark >:)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:43 am
View Likes
free2sing says...

AWWWWWWWWWWW! (: This was absolutely AMAZING! I LOVED every word of it. I'm an extreme die hard romantic and this was just flawless. You had all the conversation good and the way you made Matt and Mary find each others love out was just adorable. You are an excellent romance writer and I hope you continue to write! :D -Hailley
Forever is happening right now.

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns