z

Young Writers Society

Karsten’s Scary Judgement

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Karsten says...

Hi folks,

I finally got the blood of my last victim out of the carpet, so I’m hunting for more work to review. Specifically, I’m hunting for writers who:

1. are writing fantasy,
    2. are seriously seeking publication,
    3. take pride in their work, checking spelling, punctuation and grammar and doing real edits before posting a polished piece, and
    4. can take criticism with grace, accepting that a vast majority of work here is not (yet) publication-quality, and seeking publication is a long hard road.

If you can promise me that, I’ll review your work with as much care and detail as I can.

I’m primarily a big-picture reviewer. I understand pacing, plot and structure: I think critically about characterisation and the emotional story: I look at strength of writing, use of imagery, etc. My comments come from the metric truckload of fantasy I’ve read, plus the 2-3 years I’ve spent critiquing queries and following agent and editor blogs. I’m happy to explain my criticisms further and/or link you to resources to study.

You can find examples of my reviews here, here and here. I also rant, er, blog about reading and writing fantasy at the University of Fantasy.

Bring me your very best work, and I'll help you make it better. :)

Cheers,
Karsten

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:52 am
xLogan says...

Here is my story viewtopic.php?t=54389 - it's other fiction. Kind of like a horror story. Thank you so much. :)
"People are afraid to die, but are also afraid to live."

[•_•]
robot fayce

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:51 pm
Moriah Leila says...

Hi there, I'm not sure if you're still doing reviews, but if you are I'd very much like a review on my novel-in-progress, The Dark Goddess. This here is the latest installment, which I'd very much appreciate a review on. If you want to start with the first chapter, to get a feel for the plot, I can PM you those links. Just let me know. Thanks!
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

Random avatar

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:00 pm
Karsten says...

xLogan wrote:Here is my story viewtopic.php?t=54389 - it's other fiction. Kind of like a horror story. Thank you so much. :)

Sorry, Logan, I meant to reply - I'm specifically looking for fantasy (see pt 1 above). Thanks!

Moriah Leila wrote:Hi there, I'm not sure if you're still doing reviews, but if you are I'd very much like a review on my novel-in-progress, The Dark Goddess. This here is the latest installment, which I'd very much appreciate a review on. If you want to start with the first chapter, to get a feel for the plot, I can PM you those links. Just let me know. Thanks!

Hi Moriah! Yes, I'm still around. I have good times and bad times for reviewing, and during the Christmas holiday is a good time. I'm reading your story from the beginning - I'm on part 8 so far - and I'll write up a critique on the whole story when I'm finished.

Cheers,
Karsten

Random avatar

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Karsten says...

Your review, as requested. :D

edit: And some other recent reviews to give people an idea of what they're getting into: one, two, three, four.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:38 am
Hippie says...

Hello Karsten, reviewer extraordinaire. I'm editing my Nano and thought I'd post up the first chapter for scary judgement. The Wrong Side Ch. 1

Cheers :D
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Random avatar

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 pm
Karsten says...

Hippie wrote:Hello Karsten, reviewer extraordinaire. I'm editing my Nano and thought I'd post up the first chapter for scary judgement. The Wrong Side Ch. 1

You're so brave! I'll check it out. :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:42 pm
Rosendorn says...

Karsten! If I remember Chat correctly from yesterday, you said you wouldn't mind reading my story? (To jog your memory, I had the arrange marriage as a normal-ish thing) I have two parts posted and am looking for big picture reviews on both.

Part 1
Part 2

Thank you!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:07 pm
Karsten says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Karsten! If I remember Chat correctly from yesterday, you said you wouldn't mind reading my story? (To jog your memory, I had the arrange marriage as a normal-ish thing) I have two parts posted and am looking for big picture reviews on both.

Part 1
Part 2

Thank you!

Hippie has been judged! And now it's Rosey's turn. :D

edit: Rosey has been judged!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Merlin34 says...

post639061.html#p639061
Xavier's Quest is up for Round 2. I'll also PM you some other stuff about it.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

Random avatar

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:24 am
Karsten says...

Just a heads up. Term is starting again and I'm buried in university work, so I may not be reviewing any more. Thanks!

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:44 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green