z

Young Writers Society

Call of the Sea

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon May 25, 2009 9:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Thalassa glared at her little sister. The child had just spoken yet another word somewhere between human speech and noise. Of course Thalassa’s parents jumped on this like a dog jumps on a bone, praising a person too young to know what praise was.

It wasn’t even the attention her sister got that drove Thalassa out the door, away from that madness. Her sister’s bouts of attention would be bearable is Thalassa got any of her own. But an eldest daughter who was overlooked by even the most humble boys in the village was not favoured by her parents.

Thalassa looked at the faint scars on her hands, gotten from gutting endless fish that her father brought home. One across the base of her fingers was still raw. But it would only take a few days to heal. Her cuts usually did.

If only she had a skill, some trait that would make her desirable, maybe her parents would pay attention to her. But Thalassa knew that hope was in vain. Fifteen years of life had not granted her skill nor beauty, even after so many prayers at the temple. If it hadn’t come upon that holly ground, it would not come on a whim brought about by a sibling rivalry. Even if the sea air was said to be magic.

Away from the port, the beach was clear. Thalassa usually enjoyed watching the fishermen come and go and the dolphins that played alongside those vessels still at sea, but today she wanted seclusion. People would only remind her of everywhere she fell short. Be it beauty or that childlike adorability that had once made her the pearl of the family.

But that was gone now.

Thalassa forgot herself a moment and sat down in the sand. She got up quickly, only to sink back down. Suddenly she didn’t care about what her mother would say about getting grit on her clothes. Sitting on the sand was more comfortable than sitting on a rock of some sort. What ladies were supposed to do when there was nothing to cover the sand. Thalassa wrapped her arms around her knees and watched a few dolphins play in the surf.

A sound that did not seem to belong in this place sounded above the waves. It was laughter, girlish laughter, bouncing off of the rocks and running around in the water that lapped at them. Thalassa looked around. No one was there. She climbed up on top of the rock and gazed down the beach.

Not far off, four girls her age were lounging around on one of the larger rocks. There was something about them that intrigued Thalassa. They were extremely beautiful, for one, much more beautiful than her. Seaweed was draped all around them, adorning them like wet dresses.

Thalassa was dumbstruck. What was this? She recognized none of the girls, and she knew most of the people from the town. They were certainly not behaving like any girl was expected to, that was certain.

One of the girls cast a wayward eye over towards Thalassa. The two looked at each other for a moment. With a smile on her face the girl waved to Thalassa. The other girls now turned and looked. Their faces soon lit up with the same smile of joy. They motioned to Thalassa, begging her to come over and join them.

Thalassa paused for a moment. These girls were very much strangers. There was no telling where they’d come from. Yet, she didn’t want to appear rude. The girls looked so eager to see her, almost as if they had been waiting for her. It couldn’t hurt to go over and talk with them.

So she made her way over the slick rocks slowly. The girls watched her come, occasionally chatting among themselves for a moment or two, as girls are prone to do. Their laughter was still strong. It made Thalassa feel a little light hearted as well.

At last she was there, standing at the foot of the rock that the girls had draped themselves over.

“Hello there!,” one of them called down to her.

“Hello,” she replied. “I don’t think I’ve met you girls before.”

“You haven’t,” another one said with a giggle.

Thalassa smiled a little. “Who are you, then?”

One of the girls chuckled. “We called you over here. We ask the questions first.”

“My name is Thalassa.”

One girl, seemingly in charge, pointed to the others while she named them. “This is Ceto, Galene, Pasithea and I’m Iaera.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Thalassa said quietly.

Ceto leaned forward. “Where do you live?”

“Just over there,” she said, pointing over the rock she had climbed to get here. “My father wanted to live by the dock.”

“Why would he want to live there?” Pasithea giggled.

“My father’s a fisherman. He didn’t want to be too far from his boat.”

Ceto reclined once more. “The sea, does it draw you as much as it draws him?”

“I—I’m not sure,” Thalassa said. “It’s beautiful, that I know. And the talk of dolphins calms me.”

Galene was about to speak, when another voice cut her off.

“Thalassa!” her father’s bellow cut through the back-noise of surf.

“I have to go” Thalassa said quickly. “I don’t want my parents to worry.”

“Will you be back tomorrow?” Iaera inquired.

Thalassa shifted her weight from one foot to another. “I’m not sure. I think it’s market day. I usually have to help.”

“Very well. Until the next time, Thalassa.”

As the girl made her way back down the beach, Ceto turned to her companions.

“Well? What do you think of her?”

Iaera waited for Thalassa to be out of sight before answering.

“She’ll do.”
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Mon May 25, 2009 9:51 pm
RainWanderer says...

Quite interesting, but there are a few parts that draw my attention away from the story:

The child had just spoken yet another word somewhere between human speech and noise.

You said "The child has just spoken yet another word", then contradict your self:"somewhere between human speech and noise." It should have been something like "The child had just made another sound like a mix of human speech and noise" I know that sound lame, but the original ticking me off. If the baby is able to speak a word, then that cannot be something"between human speech and noise."

But an eldest daughter who was overlooked by even the most humble boys in the village was not favoured by her parents.

For this is just my personal opinion, you don't have to pay attention if you don't want to change the sentence. I think it should have been: "But as an eldest daughter, she was not favored by her parent. Even the most humble boys in the village overlooked her"

If only she had a skill, some trait that would make her desirable, maybe her parents would pay attention to her

Another opinion of mine. I feel it would convey stronger emotion to the reader if it is like this: "If only she had a unique skills, or some special trait, she would have more attention from her parents,and be more desirable in their eyes."

What ladies were supposed to do when there was nothing to cover the sand.

This supposed to ends with a question mark.

A sound that did not seem to belong in this place sounded above the waves.

The repeating of the word "sound" annoy me(sorry for being harsh), try: "A sound that did not seem to belong in this place rose above the waves."

Thats about all I can see for now, apart from what I metioned above, I think you have done a great job starting a good story. Let me guess: about mermaids, perhaps? :wink:
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon May 25, 2009 9:51 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Rosey! :D
I'm finally reviewing one of your stories. Sadly, I don't think I reviewed any of your previous ones. :shock: :(

First off: Thalassa. How on earth do you say that? :shock: It seems pretty, but I just don't know how to say it.

If it hadn’t come upon that holly ground, it would not come on a whim brought about by a sibling rivalry.

I believe this should say holy. :D

One of the girls chuckled. “We called you over here. We ask the questions first.”
“My name is Thalassa.”

I kind of thought this was a bit random. Like, "Rejection." :twisted: "I'm Thalassa." :D It doesn't seem to fit... Maybe try:
"Oh," Thalassa said quietly."Well, I'm Thalassa. Do you have names?"

I don't know, that's pretty rough, but...

“She’ll do.”

I liked this ending! It kept me wondering and wanting more. Good job! :D

Over all:

I liked this! The beach seemed like a beautiful scenery. I personally love empty beaches. They're so relaxing. *sigh* :D As far as the characters go, I didn't pick anything negative up.

Good job! PM me if there's more! :D

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue May 26, 2009 10:22 pm
Linx says...

Hi Rosey...and I guess Conrad. :P A fantasy done by both of ya'll combined? Epicness all around, darlings. :D

But it would only take a few days to heal. Her cuts usually did.

Grr...I hate that last sentence there. It's just so annoying to me. It's just saying, Her cuts usually did. Her cuts usually did what? It's very very very confusing line to me.

Even if the sea air was said to be magic.

This line was randomly put in here and it is confusing. Like, there has been no mention of her living by the sea until this line, which confuses the reader.

The girls watched her come, occasionally chatting among themselves for a moment or two, as girls are prone to do.

That bolded part is annoying me there, because there is no point in it and it ruins the sentence. At least, for me. I think it would be best without that.

M'kay, and now, moving on... :D

Characters :arrow: Thalassa is a pretty good character here, but I feel like the four mystery girls could have been more...mysterious? They just seemed rather plain and like regular girls. I see how you tried to make them seem plain, but you did it a bit too much.

Also, we weren't shown much about her little sister. Just that she is a pest to Thalassa's life. I bet she is a pretty important character to all this, because she is the reason why Thalassa's life has become like this. Expanding more on her sister would be really great, I think.

Co-Auth comments :arrow: I can tell that this was a co-auth because there were some awkward spots in there. What you also need to do is to not only put in your own writing styles, but you also still want to make it smooth. No awkward bumps.

Just watch out for those, because sometimes, they can ruin a story.

Actual story idea :arrow: This is a great idea. I love it. Are you going to keep writing though, or are you just going to keep it like this? It has a lot of potential and I think it would be really good if you wrote a next part for this, instead of leaving it by itself.

Great job, darlings. :D

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments.

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill