z

Young Writers Society

Haikus

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:58 am
emmylou1995 says...

Here are some of my haikus. Will you please give me advice?!

midsummer
the fresh wood scent
of the lumberyard

mid afternoon
the scent of lilacs
hidden by a gray fence

fresh snow
a new footprint
from a leather shoe

Dance floor
a womans body
swings side to side

Willow branch
covered in frost
retreating storm
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:37 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hmmm... you need to un-focus on the same exact thing... it seems like you were thinking of different elements, but not different senses, or different styles of writing the haikus. I don't know about anything else, I'm terrible at haiku's.

Willow branch
covered in frost
retreating storm

What I do know about haiku's is that they have 5 syllable's, 7, and then 5. The first and second line in this do not follow that rule.

Dance floor
a woman's body
swings side to side

Neither does this... am I missing something?

Well, I saw that most of these do not follow the rule of haiku's... if I am wrong, then PM me about it, but I would not call these haiku's if they do not follow the main definition of them. Anywho, I liked these! I love anything that has to do with nature :)

[spoiler]6/10... they don't follow the haiku rule! :cry: [/spoiler]
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:52 pm
chipsandguacamollie says...

Yeah, haikus are 5 syllables, then 7, then 5. So I'd fix these.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

-Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:41 pm
emmylou1995 says...

As I pm-ed Peanutgallery007, these are called American haiku's. They do not follow that 5 7 5 rule. That is a Japanese haiku. An American haiku has less than sixteen syllables.

Thank you any-who!
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 pm
Moriah Leila says...

I'm not very good at critiquing poetry, so I apologize, I guess I should have stated that. My favorite poems were #2 and #5. I liked the approach you took on poem #2 with the colors. When I think of lilacs I think of bright vibrant purple flowers and then they were behind a gray fence. When I think of gray, I think of bland and dull, so the contrast was very powerful. In poem #5 I could really visualize the branches covered in a sheen of frost as the storm retreated, I liked the overall imagery you created there. In the first and third poem I felt some of the material you used was rough. For instance, lumberyard and leather sound so masculine and man-made that it seemed wrong for this type of poetry. I was under the impression that most haikus are written about nature, but I could be wrong. As for #4 it was okay, but I would have liked something in there about her hips keeping tempo, I think that is a stronger imagery than her just swaying side to side. Hope that helped, although I don't really felt I did very good.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:18 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello!

I think you have nice ideas here, but you need to find a better choice of words and use them to capture just the perfect images. Incorporate some strong emotions and images in your haikus.

I really like this one:
midsummer
the fresh wood scent
of the lumberyard

and a little nitpick about this one:
Dance floor
a womans body
swings side to side

Incorrect: womans
Correct: woman's

This haiku just didn't do it for me. It didn't make me feel anything, didn't give me a clear image. Just didn't mean anything. For me, haiku's are all about strong imagery that rouse emotions, ideas, thoughts, memories, etc. Use strong imagery, that is all I can suggest. But don't be to discouraged by my review. Your poetry shows potential, but there's much room for improvement.

I recommend you read this article on imagery. It has some great tips, and it's written by a YWS member.

Read more poetry, keep writing poetry, and you're good to go.
-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien