z

Young Writers Society

The Bedside Reminder

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:03 pm
lilymoore says...

A.N: Wrote this up just this morning and I'm ashamed to say it has a good hold on what I woke up to this morning. Also, its been a long time sense I've posted anything, so please be nice. Thank you.

**3 beers = Drunk
**He tried to have sex
**I’m still too young.
**He said I wasn’t sorry – but I am
**I love Daniel
**Very drunk at 3 beers
**Shouldn’t Drink
**He’s too young, just a little boy.
**I love him, but not the way he loves me.
**I am sorry.
**Have to call Daniel.
**Need to get my glasses.

I didn’t need the note to remind me of what had happened last night, but it was evidence enough - thought hard to read - to prove that I didn’t want what he had wanted of me.

Everything was fuzzy, but not so much so that I could shake the feel of his fingers reaching up my shirt or the way he would jerk quickly on my pants, trying to make them fall. And more then everything else, I remember how all those smothered, long-forgotten feelings resurfaced last night.

I had loved him once, had craved his touch – admired it really – until I had it. It was strong and protective because I knew that with him holding onto me, I would never be dropped. But at the same time, it was too aggressive, too heated, too much for me. I was too young, and am in fact, still too young.

But last night, I know it wasn’t about how much he loved me – which I’m almost certain has become very little in the last couple of months – but rather about wanting sex and revenge. Through my body is my only vulnerability and he knows that; and he takes advantage of that.

And last night, my body was vulnerable, because I’m a lightweight when I drink. Three beers are enough to keep me about as helpless as a newborn for a few hours, enough to ruin myself.

It wasn’t supposed to be just the two of us at first. No, the plan had been made for three: Vance, him, and I. But when Vance had baled on us, I was without a guardrail to hold the boundary between him and I. And I shouldn’t have gone without Vance. But the need for company was more then I could bear so I had gone.

And now I regret my decisions. Yes, I had been sober enough to say no. I had said it more times then I could count or recall but I remember saying it. Because I’ve moved on; he and I will never have another chance. I only hope that Daniel, my future, my real love, will forgive me.

I ripped the page from my notebook and fold it up tight, slipping into snuggly into my bra next to my heart to be certain that I wouldn’t forget. I rolled over in bed, grabbed the phone and dialed those seven little digits that have been imprinted into my heart and my head forever.

His voice mail picked up, and no wonder seeing as its only four in the morning, but I clear my throat and speak, “Hey babe, I just wanted to call and tell you how much I love you. And that, no matter what he tells you, I said no. I said no for you.” And I snapped the phone shut, curled into a ball and went back to sleep.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 pm
wordartisan says...

I really liked this, but it was so confusing. I didn't get it. Was the first part a note? The rest of it was amazing. I really liked the main character. i really wonder what the reoccurring feelings are. The way she can still feel the persons fingers on her body is really cool. Can you explain that first part, or right differently i can't figure out what it is. Pm me when the next part comes out I want to read it.
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadaquate. Our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that scares us.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 am
Ashleigh Brown says...

I liked it very questioning, but like wordartisan it was a little confusing. Other than that I would like to read more of it.
Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker. ~Author Unknown

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 am
sparrowrules says...

That was great! It was very suspenseful. I am interested in reading more.

Tips:
Add more description. Make everyone who reads your story feel like they are in the girl's position. Also, make the first part of the story more clear. I didn't really understand what the *'s meant.

Overall, it is a very amazing story! Very promising.
Good luck! :)

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 am
writing_music_life says...

Unlike the others that said it was confusing I understood what the first part was. If you don't write more I will cry! It was AMAZING!! Like wordartisan the feelings and the memory is so capturing. If you haven't wrote in a while then I say you haven't lost your touch. Keep writing because it is ... I'm speechless right now.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:24 am
PatriciaTina says...

Hey! I really like the story, but there's a few things that you should look into. Beware though, I do nit-pick a lot. :D Anyways, on with the review!

I didn’t need the note to remind me of what had happened last night, but it was evidence enough - thought hard to read - to prove that I didn’t want what he had wanted of me.

though

Everything was fuzzy,

When was everything fuzzy? The night before or right at that moment?

Through my body is my only vulnerability and he knows that; and he takes advantage of that.

Very confusing sentence. I'm not sure what you mean. Try rewording it.

Three beers are enough to keep me about as helpless as a newborn for a few hours, enough to ruin myself.

Put a period or semi-colon there. It'll work better.

No, the plan had been made for three: Vance, him, and I.

Awkward wording.

But when Vance had baled on us, I was without a guardrail to hold the boundary between him and I. And I shouldn’t have gone without Vance. But the need for company was more then I could bear so I had gone.

More awkward wording.

I ripped the page from my notebook and fold it up tight, slipping into snuggly into my bra next to my heart to be certain that I wouldn’t forget.

I think you mean folded and snugly.

I ripped the page from my notebook and fold it up tight, slipping into snuggly into my bra next to my heart to be certain that I wouldn’t forget. I rolled over in bed, grabbed the phone and dialed those seven little digits that have been imprinted into my heart and my head forever.

Using the same word to start a sentence more than once in a row interupts the flow of the story and makes it seem more boring. For example, it's not very interesting if someone writes something like this:

I did this. I did that. I did this again.

Try something like 'Rolling over in my bed, I grabbed the phone and.....'

His voice mail picked up, and no wonder seeing as its only four in the morning, but I clear my throat and speak,

Awkward wording again. Also, should be 'cleared' and 'spoke'.

And I snapped the phone shut, curled into a ball and went back to sleep.

Again, try rewording. Maybe something like, 'And with that I snapped the phone shut, curled into a ball and went back to sleep.'

That's it. Great job and I hope to be able to read more of your work sometime! :D
~ Patricia Tina :smt006

Don't look in the spoiler.

Spoiler! :
I lost the game.

"I always hear punch me in the face when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext."
~ Dr. John Watson

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:55 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Well, lilymoore, here I am with my review. I have to say that this is a rather well written piece, with no glaring grammar or usage errors to mar it. Very well done on that part. I also appreciate the brevity of this piece, not because I think it is bad(haha) but because many works to me go on and on without really saying much of anything. But your work is sweet and doesn't overstay its welcome, which I do appreciate.

That being said, let's get on to what I did not particularly enjoy. This seemed to be a rather straightforward story here. Not much intrigue, not much to make it really interesting in my opinion, it's just her views laid out straightforward. An attempt at making an unreliable narrator, one that we sympathize with based on their descriptions of events but are led astray by, would be a good thing to try here.

This also seems to be a rather personal sort of thing. I'm not saying that this happened to you, not at all, but this does seem to be more of a personal anecdote than a story. I don't know if that was your intention, but it is what came across.

Well, that's about all I can think of. PM me if you have any questions or just wish to scream at me. Good job, and good luck.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm
Mars says...

Hey lilymoore! Here (finally) for the review (sorry about that)!

So, I found little wrong with this piece. Yes, it was a little confusing, but I think it works to kind of keep the readers guessing. And I like the way you began with a note.

But! It didn't seem to go anywhere. It was more a journal entry, or like Conrad said, a personal anecdote than a story. And, again, like Conrad said, it is very straightforward. You could try adding some confusion (on her part), or history, or emotion to make it a bit more interesting, because this is a fairly normal occurence, and when the plot is maybe not the focus, those little things make a huge difference.

Quite sorry for the delay, and I know this is short, but again there wasn't much that I could find. I suggest just playing around with it a bit, trying to make it more intriguing and unique.

-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:22 am
Linx says...

Hiya Lily! You requested, I come.

All the grammar issues have already been pointed out, so I don't think I need to point them out again.

But I do have one big question: Do you plan on doing more with this? Or was this just it?

I think you can do a lot more with this. Leaving it off like this, well, I didn't particularly like. You could add some more description and add more details to clear up the confusion.

We never found out her name, nor the boy's name.
It was just a vague description of what happened.

I'm just saying that they're are a lot of opportunities here.

I love the idea you have; you can do a lot more with this.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or whatnot.

*Cat
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Here I am, as requested!

**3 beers = Drunk
**He tried to have sex
**I’m still too young.
**He said I wasn’t sorry – but I am
**I love Daniel
**Very drunk at 3 beers
**Shouldn’t Drink
**He’s too young, just a little boy.
**I love him, but not the way he loves me.
**I am sorry.
**Have to call Daniel.
**Need to get my glasses.

So is this a note? It's very unclear... to make it seem more like a note, put the writing in italics. Or mention it's a note from the very beginning,

I scanned over the crinkled paper. The spindly letters stretched spider-like across the page, each symbol reminding me of the previous night.

Or something like that.

thought hard to read

I think you meant, "though hard to read."

Why is it hard to read? Is the handwriting illegible? Is the ink smudged? Don't just assume the reader understands what you are talking about, show the reader with description.

admired it really – until I had it.

How would she admire his touch if she'd never experienced it?

Okay, so I began to get very confused at this point, mostly because you switch your tenses around a lot. Some sentences are in present tense, and some are in past. Always stay consistent with your tenses!

I'm also wondering where you're going to go with this piece. So a boy wanted to have a threesome with her. How does that become a plot? :wink:

A lot of your sentences are fairly awkward. Adding a lt of hyphens -- makes the sentence -- choppy -- especially when -- you add them when -- you don't need them. ^_^

The whole reference to Daniel as her "true" love was a bit corny, mainly because of its overuse.

PM me if you have any questions.

Hope this helped,
Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:14 am
Saphirra says...

I really liked the way this kept me wanting to read more and see what happened. you captured the essence of how this woman (girl?) was conflicted, but you never really describe her in anyway. we never know the name of the boy she said no too, but in a way its kind of cool because you get a picture of what their personalities are like before you know what they look like. You better keep writing this! :D
Saphirra
“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.”

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:06 am
imapoemperson says...

in the beginning what are all of the stars for they seem out of place?
Overall i liked it;i didn't find any grammatical errors at all. It was a little confusing at times though.

I am sorry for the short review, but i didn't find much. :( :) :D :lol:
"We played Pin the Tail on the Reason My Life Feels So Insufficient, and nobody won." -Megan Moriarty

Reviews: 3
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 am
Lizzard says...

I enjoyed your piece. It was confusing but not in a good way. I agree with all here. You should really play a bit more with the wording. But your piece captured me right in. I believe the tone itself is too formal for a first person pov. Maybe you could try simplifying it down a bit.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:19 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Twenty
Hello there, Lilymoore. My apologies for taking so long to review this. Anyway, this is just about the farthest away from the normal type of fiction that I like, but yet for some reason I still found it well written and... not interesting, but... different.

Anyway, I think I shall do a line by line critique, so that I can comment on individual lines and then do an small critique at the end.

Let us first consider the title, I shall also do so at the end to see if the content succumbed to what I thought it would be about due to the title, or so to speak. The Bedside Reminder, the title is rather ambiguous. It could mean a variety of things, first, we should take it quite literally that there is something beside your bed, and that therefore this thing is a physical presence and exists, maybe a thought written upon paper to remind yourself of something or such. But perhaps you are trying to depict this as a metaphysical thing, that there is a presence about your bedside that sets about you an air of remembrance. That line is not meant to sound like a ghost or anything. xD

Yes, I find the title to be the former - the physical presence.

I don't really have much to say, I'd try and come up with something to make it more unique, but that's not really what this piece is. This is mrore of a personal thing than a work of literary art, yes?

Anyway, good luck if you decide to pursue this.

~Kirsten
for what are we without words and stories?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:53 am
lilymoore says...

So, to everyone who has read and commented on this piece, I want to make it formal in saying that this was a one shot and I really never had plans on continuing it. This decision was made mostly for that fact that this was written with a lot of very personal experience behind it. Well, almost all personal experience. However, after the comments that I have read, I think I may take to time to do a re-write and clean up a lot of things.

Also, to everyone who has commented, I really want to say thanks.

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath