z

Young Writers Society

Tangled Up In Blue

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 pm
Icaruss says...

TANGLED UP IN BLUE

CAL. Remember when you told me that—? No, well, of course you don’t. Sorry, silly question. It’s just that I always find myself thinking about you when things over here get rough. I know I should still be angry but it all seems to have happened so long ago that the bad things you did to me are just… forgotten. I tell myself that I should think about that morning, when I woke up and you were gone. I tell myself that I should think about how you started talking nonsense I was supposed to understand. I tell myself I should think about all the promises you made and broke. I know it’s silly but I… I met someone. A girl. And when we had sex I felt guilt. It’s been nearly ten years, and I still can’t… I keep expecting you to show up. You never do.
It’s early in the morning now, and I’m laying in bed, thinking if you’ve changed at all, if your… hair is still the same colour I have stapled in my mind, and you –thousands of miles away, living the life you dreamt of when we were kids- are most likely thinking about something else entirely. Hell, I bet that to you I’m nothing but a footnote, an amusing anecdote for your new friends and your husband. You probably tell them you were a little crazy back when we were together. And, you know, you’d be right. Crazier than me, at least.
It was your idea, Ashley, and that’s what kills me.
That it was your fucking idea.

New Year’s Eve, 1999. There’s a letter pasted on the fridge, written in a rush, that reads: ‘gone to LA with Cal don’t try and find us.’
Nobody has noticed.
The family is having dinner in the living room, their eyes all fixed upon the television in front of them as they munch on the stale chicken. There is still a dish in the oven. Father -fat and sweaty, wearing nothing but an old t-shirt and boxer shorts- spits out piece of bone, and looks over at his wife -short and wrinkled, thick rimmed glasses covering up most of her face-, expressionless.
“Where’s Ashley?” he asks.
Mother shrugs, still staring at the TV. “I don’t know.”

ASH. It happened a couple of weeks after I left Cal. My parents had taken me back reluctantly, but I could tell that it didn’t really make a difference if I was living with them or not. They barely noticed. I tried to sleep out as often as I could— sometimes staying at a friend’s place and sometimes sleeping in the beds of strangers. Must’ve been dozens of times I picked up guys simply because feeling like a slut was easier than feeling like you didn’t even matter. I don’t really know why it happened. I try to tell myself that it isn’t my fault, but that’s just complete bullshit. Truth is I’m a fucking idiot, always have been. Like, it was me who bailed on Cal. And it was me who called up my friends, and told them we should hit some bars, pick up some guys. It was a Wednesday, I think.
I don’t know why it was different this time. Maybe I just missed Cal and… how he could make me feel like the best person in the world even though I knew I was a terrible human being. And… how he could look at me like I was beautiful, other than just hot or fuckable. You know, people always ask me why I left him, and I guess I don’t really know exactly why. I just… I panicked. I couldn’t see myself living my life with him. It was as if I… I had been fooling myself all that time we were together, and only then, driving down the road towards LA, I could finally see it, that we didn’t belong. It wasn’t that I didn’t love him. I loved him, man, I still do. I just felt that… we were ruining whatever it was that we had together. The only good thing I had in my life, I felt like it was going to be over if we went through with it. So I bailed.
And then this happened.

New Year’s Eve, 1999. She sticks her head out the window and screams. Cal Towney tries to keep his eyes on the road, smiles.
“Would you settle down?”
“It’s the end of the millennium, man, live a little.”
The car is an old, broken down Cadillac Towney inherited from his uncle, and it reeks of cigarettes, booze and fast food. They’ve been driving for about three hours straight, but there’s still a long way to go before Los Angeles is in the horizon, and a little more than an hour for the year 2000. The back seat is littered with empty beer bottles, and food wrappings, and Dylan’s voice comes out the old speakers in the rear like a whisper, and leaves out the open window, lost in the raging wind. Cal eyes Ashley Bateman and chuckles.
“What the fuck does that mean, live a little? What are we doing right now?”
“Eloping to Los Angeles,” she answers, giggling. “But it’s never enough, honey. I mean, we should rob a bank— Kill a man!”
Cal laughs. “Kill a man? Now you want to kill a man?”
The road in front of them seems never ending, lit only by the glowing lights that frame it’s sides. There’s no other car travelling but them, and most of their friends are probably back in town in a party, getting drunk, trying to figure out who to kiss when the clock hits midnight. Ashley sits up straight, stares at Cal.
“I don’t know, would you do that for me?”
“Well, who would I have to kill?”
“It doesn’t matter who, man. You’d be doing it for me.”
“I don’t know. I mean, I wouldn’t kill my father or, you know, my mother. But… Sure. Yeah. I’d kill for you. Why not?”
Ashley leans forward, kisses him on the cheek. “You are the sweetest.”
“Yeah, that’s what I’m known for.”
Ashley beams, for a second feeling genuinely loved and happy, but as the numbers in the dashboard counting the miles driven grows higher, and the number of tracks left in the Dylan album grows lower, and the conversation grows thinner, and the look in Cal’s eyes grows warmer and warmer, the smile fades away and her face turns grave. She feels something in the pit of her stomach. It is not good.

CAL. You should see them, Ash. First there’s Georgie, this fat, smelly guy who never, ever leaves the house. I mean, there was this earthquake a couple of days ago and he didn’t even get out of bed. And I have no idea of how in the world he makes rent every month, because all I ever see him do is sit around the house getting high. Something with computers, I think. Then there’s Dawson, who is OK, I guess. A little bit uptight, and sort of a yuppie, but he lets us read the movie scripts he gets from work. That’s always cool. Right now I’m working as a waiter. Disappointing, I know, but what the hell can you do? We never really thought it through, our plan, which is probably why you left me. We were such idiots, weren’t we? Going to LA, getting married, growing famous together. Seemed so easy to do, but I’m almost thirty now. What the fuck have I accomplished with my life? If I’d known it would be this way I wouldn’t have kept going. I would’ve gone back with you, asked you why you left, maybe worked it out. I mean, I have auditions all the time, but I’ve kinda lost faith at this point. It doesn’t feel new or exciting anymore, you know? And I met a girl the other day. The one I told you about. She’s an actress, too. Her name is Joanne.
It was the funniest thing. I come back to the house from my shift, and there’s like half a dozen people smoking dope with Georgie. I mean, at first I was mad, you know? I work all fucking day long, when I come back to the house, all I wanna do is lay in bed. But then I met her. She reminds me of you, Ashley. You know, she puts up this… crazy, whimsy girl act just like you did. Talks like she’s reading off a page. And she likes me. That doesn’t happen often, right? She walked into the kitchen, and asked me where we kept the beers. It was a silly question, the fridge was right there, and it took me a second to even notice that she was speaking to me.
Joanne’s pretty too.
Big blue eyes and hay-coloured hair. A nice ass and big tits too, which we know you never had. Heh. Look at me. Trying to make you jealous. First good thing that’s happened to me in months and all I can think about is what you’d say about it. What you’d think of Joanne. And she was so sweet, too, Ashley, I swear to God, she thought I was funny, she listened to the things I said, and she took an interest in me, which you never, ever did. I can see that now. It took me a while, but I can see that you were selfish, and uncaring, and just plain unkind. Me and Joanne, we made out in my room, and then we… did the nasty. She didn’t speak much after that, which I thought was weird. Later she asked me who I’d been thinking about during… You know. It broke my heart, Ashley. I had to lie.
Seconds later Georgie comes into the room laughing like a fucking idiot, and gives me two thumbs up. Behind him are Joanne’s friends, giggling. On a scale from one to ten, I’d give it an eight in awkwardness.

TOM. I met the girl when she was working in a topless bar, and I pulled in for a drink. The place was called the Shining Light (which is a weird name for that kind of joint) and they had naked waitresses and, of course, strippers, which is pretty much all you need to pull in crowds of men. The food was also excellent. And I do mean it, ‘cause women always think that when guys talk about good food in titty bars they are just trying to justify the fact that they even go to titty bars, but hey, I don’t need to justify shit. I like titty bars. And the food in the Shining Light was fucking excellent.
If she’d worked there before, I hadn’t noticed but the first time I actually saw Ashley she looked spectacular. I was sitting in the back of the place, having a smoke, and she comes over topless, wearing nothing but one of those tiny, black skirts the waitresses had to use. Notebook and pencil in hand, she asks me what I wanted. I’m like, -Bring me a beer and a shot of tequila, but I’m thinking that all I want is her. It’s not that she was particularly pretty or hot by any conventional assessment. Her face was covered in make-up, and she looked like a clown. Her body was surprisingly less voluptuous than that of her colleagues. Yet, she carried herself a certain way. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s the kind of girl you see, and… just really want to hump. I mean, I don’t want to sound like an asshole, but there’s a certain kind of girl, and I’m not just talking about movie stars or models, that just acts and looks in a way that makes you want to fuck her just then and there. And Ashley fell into that category.
When she came over with the drinks I asked her why she wasn’t up there in the stage dancing and she told me she had a little something called self-respect. What’s the difference between dancing naked and waiting naked? And she laughs and goes -I don’t fucking know, man, but strippers are just a step away from being whores and if I have to work naked I wanna stay at least two steps away from prostitution. A couple of minutes later I asked her when she was off. She grinned.
I took her to a bar close to the motel I was living in, and half an hour of drinking later we were already making out in the bathroom. I asked her if she wanted to go back to my motel room, and she told me -Sure, yeah, alright, whatever. When we finished, she gave me her number and left. I didn’t think about her for weeks after that, and it was only after the motel owner kicked me out that I reached inside my coat pocket, and noticed the piece of paper with her phone number scribbled on it. I said -Hello, and then there was a pause. She didn’t know who I was and I didn’t really blame her, so I told her: -Tom, you know, Thomas Braddock, I don’t have anyone else to call. Next thing I know, I’m sleeping at her place.

New Year’s Eve’s Eve, 2008. Joanne didn’t expect Cal to call, but he did. They had been seeing each other for about a month now and every time they got together she felt that she liked him a little bit more. She felt that she loved him even. Cal wanted to feel like that too. They lay in bed next to each other, and he says:
“Look, I’m sure you’ve heard it. They used to play it in the radio every day.” Cal clears his throat and hums a tune. “Right?”
He hums again. Joanne nods enthusiastically.
“Oh, my God! The— Jesus Christ, the happy fucking gums commercial! Oh, my God,” she laughs, suddenly remembering. Cal chuckles, a bit embarrassed. “You were in that? Really? That is hilarious.”
“Well, thanks for not making fun of me.”
Joanne snickers. “I’m sorry, it’s just that—” She blinks, moves around: “Oh, oh! Say the thing! Please, please, please say that thing you say.”
“I don’t even know what you’re talking about.”
“Oh, don’t be mean. Come on, please. Just don’t be an asshole and say it.” She punches him in the arm. Cal moans. “Come on, just say it.”
“OK, OK. Alright.” He clears his throat, gets ready. And then, solemnly: “Pure. Fresh. Clean. And happy. Colgate, number one recommended by doctors all around the world.” He pauses. Joanne claps. He bows. “Happy?”
“More than. Ecstatic. Thrilled.”
Cal looks around.
It doesn’t take him long to realize that her room is much larger than his. The wallpaper is rosy and warm, and the bed is large and comfortable. There’s not much light other than the one that creeps from the small, bow-like window looming over the wooden desk full of old, unused notebooks and a dusty computer monitor. The floor is carpeted, green. The apartment as a whole is, also, rather roomy, and she lives alone. No obese, symbiotic roommates bothering her.
Is it too soon to move in?
Probably. He doesn’t want to scare her away, and he’d feel guilty if he made that decision more for his sake, than because of… love or whatever. Cal’s hand moves towards her leg, and touches her thigh. Joanne laughs, softly:
“What are you doing, Cal?”
He moves his hand higher, slow, gentle, takes his time: “Nothing.”
Something rings. It’s his phone.

ASH. I don’t remember his name. The girls told me I could report him or something, but I swear I don’t know what the bastard’s name is. I mean, we must’ve hit two bars before we got there, and faces, names, dates, they all get tangled up when you’re out drinking. It was this new place up in Copley. Some friends had told us about it. And we got there and… it was a tiny, cramped up room with purple lights and music and a bar, and it just stank, man. Sweat and cigarettes, you know? I couldn’t even see the person in front of me because of all the smoke and shit. So we go to the bathroom, right? And it’s just disgusting. There’s a girl whose nose is bleeding sitting on the floor, and there’s coke in the sink, and we’re ready to get out of there, but Maggie, this girl I barely knew, she somehow convinces us to stay. We were already pretty drunk by then, but she says we should have at least a few more drinks before we call it a night. And I’m not saying it was her fault. Look, I already said it’s all on me, and besides I’m pretty sure that what Maggie was saying didn’t sound like a particularly bad idea. It was, though.
And at the bar there was this guy.
He didn’t look like a bad person. He was actually… pretty handsome, to tell the truth. I remember he was wearing a blue blazer and suede shoes. He was overdressed, yeah, but it’s like it made him seem classier than the other guys, refined even. I mean, most of the men there were average-looking at best and we were all, like, gawking at this dude, shamelessly, and he looked at me. At me. All of my friends giggled and poked me and dared me to go talk to him, and… I was going to do so anyways. You see what I’m saying about it being my fault?
A man does nothing other than smile and I’m already throwing myself at him.
He spoke with an accent, but I could tell he was faking it. Don’t know why he did that. My point is, though, that he seemed like an OK guy. He bought me a drink, and we talked for a while. What’s your name? What do you do for a living? Who are you here with? Are you doing anything later? Do you want another drink? And when my friends told me they were leaving, I said that I might stick around for a while.
You know, there’s this look people give you when they know you’re doing something stupid and can’t do anything to stop you. I kinda get that look a lot. It’s… Friends are silly, man. When you stay away from guys you’re square. When you go with them you’re a tramp. I remember that a bunch of them used to say that stripping wasn’t deplorable at all, that a woman should have the right to do whatever she wants with her body, that being a stripper isn’t something girls should be ashamed of. Now, none of them even talk to me. It’s funny.
And he said: Do you wanna get out of here?
And I said: Yeah, sure.

New Year’s Eve, 1999. The only sound left in the car by the time they get to the motel is the motor rattling on and the wind tumbling inside. When they stop moving, Cal turns the key and walks out. Ashley stays put, the neon sign shining against the window painting her face purple, announcing: ‘American Family Motel.’
She reads these words three times over.
Outside, Cal is already carrying the bags. Hers too. She rushes out, and reaches up to him. They walk towards reception without a word. He knows something is wrong, but can’t tell what it is exactly. So, he asks:
“Are you alright?”
“Yeah,” she says dryly, before putting her arm around his.
“Do you want to get some champagne, or something? For New Year?”
“We don’t really have enough money for champagne, Cal.”
He doesn’t know if she’s trying to be funny but he laughs anyways, then says: “Well, I can get us some fizzy cider.”
Registration is uneventful.
The room number is 306 and it is ridiculously small. The king-size bed Cal specifically requested takes up most of the space, and everything in it has been obsessively cleansed, in a way that makes it obvious that it has been used hundreds of times before, by hundreds of other couples. Ashley wonders for a second how many of them are still together, while Cal scoffs and complains:
“This is ridiculous. You can’t be comfortable here.” She’s already taking off her earrings, putting them in the tiny table next to the bed, dropping her t-shirt on the floor, her shoes. Cal is still carrying the bags. “Do you want me to go have a word with them? They can’t put us in here.”
“It’s alright, man. Just forget about it.”
“No, but… I mean, I want you to be comfortable. We might as well have slept in the car, right? This is ridiculous.”
Ashley sits on the bed, wearing nothing but her bra and jeans. “Look, just drop the bags and come here. ”
Cal does exactly as he’s told.
She kisses him as soon as he gets close enough, and then they go at it. She claws on his back, climbs on top of him. She still has her bra on, but one of the cups is off, and she moves her hand downwards, trying to undo his pants. The walls of the room are thin, enough so that the people next to them can probably hear them. They don’t seem to care. Ashley moans, and Cal feels something go loose. Almost desperately, he moves her aside, starts pulling his pants lower, as she takes hers off, and he sighs and grabs her legs, she wraps them around his waist, and he’s ready, and she licks the sides of her lips, kisses him. Then, stops.
Cal groans, Ash moves her face away from his.
“What is it?”
“Just… Wait a second.”
“Are you OK? Did I hurt you?”
“What? No. Hurt me? No, it’s just…” She quiets herself down, she chooses her words carefully, she swallows. “I don’t wanna— I mean, are you sure?”
“About what?”
“About… this. About all of this, what we’re doing, are you sure?”
“Yeah… Why would you even…? I mean, yeah. Are you?”
“I’m not asking about me. I’m… Look, I’m gonna…” There’s a pause. Cal has turned pale. “Do you remember Samantha Harris?”
“What—?”
“Samantha Harris. She used to go to school with us. She was, like, the prettiest, nicest girl. Everybody loved her, right? And one time… This was ages ago, I don’t even know why I’m— Look, she brought this doll, this huge doll for show and tell.”
Cal laughs. “Show and tell?”
“Don’t… This is serious, man. Don’t laugh. I’m being serious. She brought this huge doll and it was beautiful, everybody was drooling over it. Me too, and Samantha wasn’t even gloating or nothing, she let everybody play with, but… I couldn’t— I waited for everybody to leave. Remember those general assemblies we used to have? With the prizes and everything? I waited till everybody was gone, and I went to Samantha Harris’ desk, and I grabbed the doll and I smashed it. I just… slammed it against the wall and broke it.”
He is no longer hard. Ashley is still on top of him, speaking directly into his mouth. Each word is a breeze of hot air down his throat, but it’s not pleasant.
“I don’t know who you’re talking about, Ash.”
“That’s not the point, though, is it? God,” she sighs and rolls away from him. Deadpan, she speaks, staring at the ceiling: “Look, here’s this girl, man, alright? And she’s the nicest girl ever. She never did me no wrong, never even rubbed me the wrong way, and still, I am so fucking jealous of her that I break her shit.”
Cal listens to her breathing for a while. She’s agitated, angry. “I don’t… Well, I’m sure you had your reasons, right? I’m sure she was sort of a bitch. The kind of person that seems nice, but in reality… You know. I’m sure you had your reasons.”
“I didn’t have any. That’s what I’m saying, that’s the whole thing. I just did it for no reason at all.”
They can hear some laughter coming from the next room, and when the screaming and the whooping starts they realize they haven’t talked for about ten minutes. It’s a new millennium already, but in the room nothing’s changed. Cal has been thinking of all the possible things he could say. Ashley has been thinking of what she’ll do tomorrow. Eventually, he tells her:
“I don’t care.”
“I know you don’t. That’s kind of the… Cal, I’m sorry. Forget that I said anything, alright? I’m so sorry. I just wish I could tell you all of the things that I… never really learned how to say, you know?”
“That’s alright, Ashley,” he says. “I love you too.”

NEXT

Part Two.
Part Three.
Last edited by Icaruss on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:07 am
ashleylee says...

Very moving.

This story had so much going on. But I liked it. It was REAL. I think I read another one of your stories and it had the same atmosphere. You have that way of writing about honest stuff. Not the stories where the guy gets the girl and every one lives happily ever after.

And it's a surprising change. And I like it! :D

You are a talented writer!

I hope to read more of your work in the future!
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

115 Reviews

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:09 am
Icaruss says...

This is part one of three, so you will read more. =D

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:22 am
ashleylee says...

All right!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more.

Or...you could just PM me when you post more! That works too :wink:
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

115 Reviews

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm
Icaruss says...

Part two is posted.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:41 pm
Night Mistress says...

this is interesting. keep going.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 pm
Raimunda says...

This is some immense shizz. I don't really think I can review this, because there's just no point! It's amazing. I hope when I'm as old as you I'll be this darned good.

Apart from the distrubing sexual content which I skimmed, THIS IS ESPECIALLY EXCELLENT. The only question is, why am I the one reading this, when it should be the head of like, Bloomsbury or whatever.
I just hit my computer
Because it was being slow
I need my daily Smallville fix
And it will not load the video.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 pm
cheese9975 says...

wow, wow, wow. this was fantastic. im totally going onto read part two, it was phenomenal.
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

115 Reviews

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:18 pm
Icaruss says...

(shameless bump, thinly disguised as "thank-yous" to the critiques)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:12 am
Sam says...

Hey, Icaruss!

Okay, so. You kind of own my soul. XD How did you manage to nail setting description in first person...? That's just not fair. Not to mention you managed to create a sympathetic female character, which is quite difficult, considering I'm a complete misogynist when it comes to main characters of the fairer sex. I tip my hat to you, my dear.

A few things I'd like to chat about, however:

THE WHY

I do understand that this is the first part of three, but there are several mysteries that you should solve right away, and one of those is why they moved to L.A. in the first place. I understand that Cal is an actor, but that's sort of vague, and Ash's ambitions are completely unknown to me.

You've got kind of a Death of a Salesman thing going on--you skip all over time and place, and so knowing exactly what is going on and why at a given point is essential. Your readers are a lot more disoriented than they normal would be, so what seems like obvious information to you is opaque to them. From the get-go, establish your strong characters (which you've done, especially in the case of Ash), and be consistent as you develop them. Their motivations are something that you'll want to establish very early on, simply as a mechanism to move the story backwards/forwards/sideways for the readers.

IF WALLS COULD TALK

The fun thing about this story is that the perspectives change. The most difficult aspect is the same--and that's because you drag us to and fro. While it's not particularly unpleasant dragging, you still need to make sure that the voices are distinct and that we remember them once they've left.

The one thing that I noticed about you, personally, is that you have a very conversational third-person style. While this is good, it's kind of odd because it doesn't completely contrast with the first-person views you used. Thus, you become another first-person narrator, you just don't name yourself.

You don't have to completely change your third-person style for this story, but make sure you completely exploit every area of third person that's not in first that you can, just so we know what you're trying to do. You give us specific points of view and then a panorama--if you must, smack us with that panorama so we know exactly what you meant to do. That way, no underlying current of meaning is hidden, and you're free to do as you please.

HURRAH, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

One thing you're going to want to avoid is "showing what you told". That's when an author both tells and shows--which is rather excessive, if you think about it.

She kisses him as soon as he gets close enough, and then they go at it.

And then you describe them copulating, so where you could have ended the scene gives way for explanation. Simply get rid of the blanket statement; leave the description. In general? Avoid "showing what you told", and being redundant in general.

___

Thanks for the read, Icaruss! I'm on to part two. PM me if you have any questions. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:50 pm
Spazztardchild says...

Oh wowzers! I really loved reading this - it is so good, there is not much to say!

but one of the breasts is off

Eeek! That sounds a bit painful. Please use the word 'cups' instead. Certainly more friendly towards her assets. ;p

left in the Dylan album

I think I'm just nit picking but, it should be on instead of in.

Over all, the switching of characters is fine, although a little confusing, untill I figured out the time line in my head. It's the most interesting aspect of the story.

I really enjoyed the dead-pan atmosphere you set up in this. I don't know why, just makes it seem dirty and sleazy in a way, like the narrator is jaded by what is happening around him/her but they just keep on.

On to the next chapter!
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Graffito

It made me LOLums

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 am
gyrfalcon says...

just that I always find myself thinking about you when things over here get rough.

The rhythm of it feels wrong—try “when things get rough over here,” comes out more natural.

that the bad things you did to me

Meh, feels generic. You don’t have to tell us exactly what B did to A, but a hint might hold the reader’s attention better than something that could mean anything from farting too loudly to chopping A’s parents’ heads off.

I tell myself I should think about all the promises you made and broke.

Nix “made and”—it’s unnecessary.

Hmmm, interesting introduction. I think you could trim it up a bit, but it doesn’t overhang too much. The more intriguing parts are nearer the end of it, though, so perhaps try to get there faster.

fixed upon the television

This could be personal taste, but I’m not fond of “upon” in this context—feels to formal, and “on” would do just as well.

My parents had taken me back in reluctantly, but I could tell that it didn’t really make a difference if I was living with them or not.

Nix the bits in red, methinks, both redundant.

though I knew I was a terrible human being.

Again, “a terrible human being” feels generic, and it would have more punch if you replaced it with just one word: “wasn’t.”

Note: I like the switching back and forth between tenses and perspective—you do it well. Most of this is due to the fact that you actually warn us that’s what you’re doing (with your little tags) and I want to thank you, profusely, for that. So many authors just assume we can keep up with their jumping around in time and perspective.

a little more than an hour for the year 2000.

:? Hmmm, wrong preposition. You could make it “before,” you could add “left” before it, but I don’t think you can just leave it like that.

that frame it’s sides.

“its”

There’s no other car travelling but them,

No other car on the road but them or no other car traveling (btw, unless that’s a Brit/American thing—wrong spelling) anywhere in the world. ;) Adjust your verb accordingly please.

counting the miles driven grows higher

Nix.

and the look in Cal’s eyes grows warmer and warmer and warmer

The sentence, run-on though it was, was working up till now. Please restrict yourself to one “warmer” darling.

A little bit a uptight

Nix.

Joanne’s pretty too.

You do have a talent for rhythm, darling, I’ll give you that. Isolating this sentence was a beautiful move, and the cadence for most everything else pulls the reader along so that we forget that not much is actually happening—we just want to know more.

TOM.

Ooo, new character, I’m intrigued.

I’m like, -Bring me a beer and a shot of tequila, but I’m thinking that all I want is her.

Could you make your dialogue a little clearer? Quotation marks are your friends!

[quote] “Look, I’m sure you’ve heard it. They used to play it in the radio every day.” Cal clears his throat and hums a tune. “Right?”

Look! Quotation marks! ;)

Well, darling, I’m glad I could be of some help here, but I don’t think I’m going to keep on critiquing it. This is just…not the kind of story I’m comfortable with. Best of luck, though!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 pm
smorgishborg says...

Don't know why I didn't put it in a spoiler, but go figure.

This is only part one, I don't have more time today, but [s]tomorrow[/s] sometime when I'm not working I ought to be able to read the rest. I'll have some more overall comments then. I'm loving it.
Attachments
Tangled up in Blue (1).doc
(61.5 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by smorgishborg on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:13 pm
Alteran says...

Icaruss wrote:The family is having dinner in the living room, their eyes all fixed upon the television in front of them as they munch [s]up[/s]on the stale chicken. There is still a dish in the oven. Father -fat and sweaty, wearing nothing but an old t-shirt and boxer shorts- spits out a piece of bone, and looks over at his wife -short and wrinkled, thick rimmed glasses covering up most of her face-, expressionless.

Icaruss wrote:The road in front of them seems never ending, lit only by the glowing lights that frame it’s sides. There’s no other car travelling but them, and most of their friends are probably back in town; [s]in a[/s] partying, getting drunk, trying to figure out who to kiss when the clock hits midnight. Ashley sits up straight, stares at Cal.

Icaruss wrote: Then there’s Dawson, who is OK, I guess. A little bit [s]a[/s] uptight, and sort of a yuppie, but he lets us read the movie scripts he gets from work. That’s always cool.

Icaruss wrote:
Outside, Cal is already carrying the bags. Hers too. She rushes out, and [s]reaches[/s]catches up to him. They walk towards reception without a word. He knows something is wrong, but can’t tell what it is exactly. So, he asks:

Icaruss wrote:“No, but… I mean, I want you to be comfortable. We [s]might’ve[/s]might as well have slept in the car, right? This is ridiculous.”

Icaruss wrote:She kisses him as soon as he gets close enough, and then they go at it. She claws on his back, climbs on top of him. She still has her bra on, but one of the [s]breasts[/s]cups is off, and she moves her hand downwards, trying to undo his pants. The walls of the room are thin, enough so that the people next to them can probably hear them. They don’t seem to care. Ashley moans, and Cal feels something go loose. Almost desperately, he moves her aside, starts pulling his pants lower, as she takes hers off, and he sighs and grabs her legs, she wraps them around his waist, and he’s ready, and she licks the sides of her lips, kisses him. Then, stops.

Icaruss wrote:“That’s not the point, though, is it? God,” she sighs and rolls away from him. Deadpan, she speaks, staring at the ceiling: “Look, here’s this girl, [s]man, alright[/s]alright man? And she’s the nicest girl ever. She never did me no wrong, never even rubbed me the wrong way, and still, I am so fucking jealous of her that I break her shit.”

Characterization

Your characters are all very definitive in their personalities. I can tell the difference between them easily. You introduced a mannerism in Ashley about halfway through the story where she says, 'man' often. You might want to go towards the beginning and make sure it's constant.

Descriptions

You have some good general descriptions of scenery and people but nothing very detailed. I think it could add another dimension to your story if you could expand the surroundings a little. It's there, the visuals are right there, but you could make it more vivid and realistic with a few more details in and around the story.

Plot

I'm not quite sure where the story is headed. Since it is the first part that is okay, but at the same time I'm getting lost in the sudden movement from person to person and time frame to time frame. I'm not sure what it's all leading to or what each part has to do with the other. The only thing I can see is we go from Cal and Ash being together and then being apart in the future.

I think I can kind of see a sort of reflection from both of them on the past and then how they are living in the future.

Style

The style of writing is nice, it adds to the feelings of the scenes nicely making it easy to relate to the characters. I worry about your overuse of ellipses in the monologue sections. A comma would have a better effect in most of those cases.

Overall Impressions

Overall I think you have a good start. It feels a little jumpy cause of the time frame switching so often, but the story itself is pretty good.

The CCF thanks you for your business and hopes you will think of us in the future for your Critiquing needs.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 pm
KJ says...

Hey. Genuinely, I enjoyed this. There were just a few things that stuck out to me:

One, you had a few typos. No biggie, but you might want to go back and catch those.

Two, "alright". You used that several times, and it is misspelled. It is really suposed to be "all right". Again, not a big deal. I'm just nitpicking.

Thirdly, the sex. Though I don't you to drag it out or anything, the flow and pace was awfully jerky and abrupt. You need smoother transitions.

Fourthly, the swearing. Now, I know you warned us, but I just wanted to assert my opinion. I would have enjoyed this piece much mroe if you had cut back a bit. Maybe I"m just being stupid, but I felt that the swearing took away from it.

Other than those few things, I DID like it.

That's all on Part One.

'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time