Calculus

4 posts
User avatar
Gender Male
Points 890
Reviews 59
Can someone please give me some help with comparitve differentiation, as in differentiation with shapes?




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 11393
Reviews 3913
Sample problem, please?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 890
Reviews 915
order,


I'm not sure what you're looking for here. There are Frechet derivatives and Fredholm operators, but these are concepts from functional analysis and are probably beyond the call of what you're looking for.

In my study of mathematics, I've never encountered "comparative differentiation," or differentiation with shapes. An Euclidean derivative (the ones encountered in calculus I-III) is a measure of the rate of change of a curve. Even at the level of vector calculus, you are still studying rates of change though now you are doing so in three dimensions.

As Snoink asked: Could you give us an example problem?


Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 4038
Reviews 489
yeah, examples, please? I'll be needed help in calc soon enough, and the more on the bandwagon, the merrier.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia



The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy.
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein