A Personal Backstory
A long time ago, when I was approximately 9 years old and several years before I joined YWS, I wrote a novel which I called The Guild of Trees. I worked on it after school every day, first starting by hand and eventually retyped the whole thing into Microsoft Word - which was pretty rudimentary back then. Even an artistically gifted relative of mine illustrated an elaborate cover for the story. Over a few years, I worked tirelessly at editing and revising the work. At one point, I even began to work on a sequel! However, time went on and I grew up and in many ways, grew out of the story.
However, the story has continued to stick in my mind because I consider it the first evidence of my commitment to the craft. Before, I had written plenty of short stories but The Guild of Trees was truly the first massive undertaking for me creatively. I believe in the premise and unique qualities of the story, which is why I am now attempting the daunting task of rewriting the whole thing - hopefully with more mastery and a slightly different, and older, perspective.
For many years, I have found my creative home in the world of poetry and I still think and feel that I belong more there than in the world of prose. However, at the same time, this could be a fun challenge of working beyond my comfort zone and getting back to my roots, in a way. I don't think I will be prolifically writing, as it will take time to get back into the groove of writing fiction and trying to rehash the story. Most unfortunately, I have lost the original story so I am working purely from a very poor memory as it relates to plot, characters, and the whole shebang.
The whole project will be probably full of inconsistencies, rusty writing, and maybe some slightly confused plot points, so please bear with me.
Premise
Mae Marley is furious with her parents. At fifteen, she has suddenly been permanently uprooted over the summer holidays to the worst place in the world: suburbia. Gone is the bustling city, where she had everything at her fingertips and the freedom to embark on uncontained adventure with her friends. The only silver lining is the vast greenspace that lies across the street and Mae spends hours walking the many labyrinthine paths to escape the dullness of home. And then one evening, she hears whispers on the leaves and, all of a sudden, maybe suburbia is exactly the adventure Mae has been waiting for.
How can you help?
- I would absolutely love supportive comments to help motivate
- Light feedback is welcome, although in-depth revision is not required at this time as this project is very much still in nascent stages
- All your ideas! An additional character? A different way to get from Point A or Point B?
- Your guidance - at times, I will ask questions if I'm feeling stuck and would love input when solicited
I guess we should get the ball rolling...
