z

Young Writers Society

Masterpiece

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 am
AddictionToFiction says...

I had to write this for a class in school, and I'm not quite happy with the review I got (only 2 comments on 12 pages), so I was hoping some of you guys could help me out. This is the first part of Masterpiece, which will be the first of three related short stories, all contributing to a whole.

Anyway, please comment and help me make it better!

Nigha walked slowly toward Kate’s house, the rain feeling like a hissing afterthought. She couldn’t take her eyes off the door, and she walked up the gravel drive and onto the porch. Closing her eyes, afraid it wouldn’t work again, Nigha held her breath and walked through the door.

Her eyes opened and she saw the inside of her best friend’s house. It was dark inside, but she could see well enough. She exhaled in relief at the familiar room, the sofa in the corner, the TV above the brick fireplace, the moonlight coming in through the curtains. Nigha could even smell the familiar scent of Kate’s living room.

Nigha walked past the living room to the staircase just around the wall. She paused at the bottom for a moment, and just stared up. Knowing she couldn’t turn back but being afraid to go on wasn’t easy. She set her mind and lifted her chin slightly, and started up the stairs.

The toilet flushed down the hall and Nigha wavered. She sped up after that and walked down the hallway until she stood in front of Kate’s door. Everything else seemed dark and out of focus besides Kate’s door. Nigha clamped her eyes shut and took a step into the door. She passed right through the wood door and held her breath as she emerged into Kate’s room. Kate was just climbing back into bed, more than half asleep, obviously having been the one who flushed the toilet.

She took a shaky breath which Kate didn’t seem to hear, and said, “Kate.”

Kate whirled around in bed, now clearly awake. Her eyes widened and her hand flew to her mouth, stifling a tiny scream. Nigha looked down at herself and saw her opened jacket and the three bloodstains on her white shirt. Her eyes widened and she instantly whipped the jacket closed. “Kate, we need to talk,” she said quickly.

“Nigha, oh my God, Nigha!” Kate cried, horrified. She stood off her bed and walked to Nigha, one hand outstretched as if to touch her, the other over her mouth. Her expression was one of horror and shock. “What happened to you?” she whispered, unable to muster anything louder.

“Kate, calm down. I’m… look, I have to talk to you,” Nigha said quickly, crossing her arms over her stomach to keep her jacket closed over the blood. “It’s not as simple as you think.”

“You walked through the door, Nigha! No, this I get that this is not what I think. But I don’t know what to think. What are you…? They told me… you’re parents are worried sick!” she finally managed. “They said you’re missing. You vanished last night. You….”

“Kate, just stop for a minute. I have something important to tell you. But this might take awhile…”

I got a black rose the day I died. It wasn’t what you might think; it wasn’t my soul I lost. I mean it quite literally—my life ended. And all because I let my guard down around a charismatic psychopath.

I’d gotten a letter in the mail one day, asking me to come to the Cobb Bridge after dark on Friday. I wasn’t sure what to make of it at first, but I was stupid and curious, so I held on to it.

The next morning, when I climbed out of bed and went to open my curtains, I saw a rose the color of blood on fire, sitting on my windowsill just beyond the glass. And when I got home from school on Thursday, there was a perfect white rose resting on the sill, waiting for me to see it.

Intrigued and in a sort of awe, I added it to the smooth wooden vase on my desk. I picked up the letter from its place next to the vase, as if I wanted to remind myself this was all actually happening and the letter was real. A chill ran up my spine as I read it.

On Friday night, sneak out of your house and meet me at Cobb Bridge. I’ve wanted to meet you for a long time now, so I’m going to give you this before I change my mind. Don’t let anyone know you’re coming.
-J

By now, I was extremely curious. No guy had ever gone to all this trouble to ask me out or tell me he liked me. I really wanted to meet the mysterious guy who’d been sending me roses.

That night, I fell asleep staring at them, my mind slowly drifting off to a place of old-fashioned chivalry and romance. I beat the sun up that morning, and climbed out of bed, nervous excitement growing inside me. I made a beeline straight for the windowsill, my bare feet padding against the cold floorboards with barely a sound. Friday had finally come.

I flung open my window saw a black rose. It was the most devastatingly beautiful thing I’d ever seen, with waxy black petals and a deep green stem. And just under my window, written in the soft, damp dirt, were two words that made the hairs on my arms stand on end for reasons I didn’t know at the time.

Can’t wait.

The day seemed to drag on endlessly. I kept looking at the clock, then the window, then back to the clock. I spent my classes doodling and struggling to pay attention, which was hard, since I was nearly giddy with anticipation. Had I known then it would’ve been my last day in class, I might’ve socialized more, or even listened to the teacher.

Kate could tell I was preoccupied, and she prodded me about it all through lunch. “C’mon, Ny, please,” she begged. Her blue eyes were twinkling with mischievous hope.

I just grinned and shook my head. “It’s a secret. But I’ll tell you on Monday,” I said, getting all my things together and slinging my backpack over my shoulders. Lunch was almost over, so I started walking to the trashcan to dump my trash.

Kate pouted as she followed me over. “You’re no fun. Okay, I’m gonna guess then. Let me think…. Well, it’s you, so it can’t be a guy… and it’s obviously good, so… ooh! I got it! Did your parents finally give in to get a dog?” she rambled, her eyes lighting up as she spoke, as though she just figured it out.

I laughed and looked her dead in the eye with a grin. “Kate, if my parents ever let me have a dog, I wouldn’t wait to tell you,” I said.

She sighed. “True…. Come on, you gotta tell me!” She’d resorted back to begging, and I wasn’t surprised. “I’ll buy you lunch on Monday,” she tried.

I considered it, but then remembered what the note said: don’t let anyone know you’re coming. “Monday. Tomorrow, if you come over,” I said.

“Meanie. Just know I’ll be there before noon,” Kate said.

“I figured,” I said, unable to mask my amusement. “Love you. Mean it!” I called as she walked off, obviously sulking. I guess I was in a better mood than I should’ve been, but the fact that the person who wrote me the letter could be some stalker creep never crossed my mind.

I left school and listened to the radio while my mom drove me home. I couldn’t wait until I turned sixteen so I could drive myself to school. That would make life so much simpler, I thought with a sigh. Then I wouldn’t have to sit there quietly and pretend nothing was on my mind. Not that I wanted to talk about it at the time anyway, but it just seemed to make everything more awkward for me.

“Anything wrong, Nigha?” Mom asked, glancing at me briefly.

I shook my head. “I’m fine. Just tired,” I lied. It was a convincing lie, because I was always tired after school. But today, I was too excited to be tired, even though I didn’t dare show it. I couldn’t let her think anything was wrong, because then, knowing my mom, she’d get all weird and pushy.

I leaned my head against the window and tried to picture the guy I’d be meeting. What will he be like? I wondered. Tall, dark and handsome? A cute, charming blond? Nothing seemed quite right, so eventually I gave up trying. Wouldn’t it be ironic, I thought, if he was actually someone I knew.

Nighttime couldn’t come fast enough as far as I was concerned. The sun seemed to drag itself down slowly, antagonizing me on purpose. I barely had an appetite, and you wouldn’t believe how unappetizing my mom’s broccoli casserole looked and smelled. And it tasted worse than puke, in my opinion. I picked at it, but never actually ate any of it.

“Nigha, you not hungry?” my mom asked. “You’re not sick, are you?”

“I’m fine, mom. Just not a fan,” I said, glancing down at my heap of green and yellow mush. God, if my mom never cooks dinner again, it would be too soon. She’d let me cook most nights, since I could at least manage to make something edible. The only thing she’d ever make is baby-barf broccoli casserole.

“Just eat it,” she said with a sigh. But how could she say that when she wasn’t even eating it? She claimed it wasn’t good for her cholesterol and was having some soup instead. And that smelled good, despite the stench coming off the casserole.

Not fair, I thought angrily. I left the table and took my plate to the kitchen, dumping about a pound of the gunk into the trashcan. “I’m going to bed,” I said, heading directly to my room. I closed the door and looked at the roses. Tonight, I get to meet you.

I propped myself up with pillows against the wall and opened a book. I couldn’t really focus on the words and ended up turning on the radio. Later, I found it ironic that the song playing was “Don’t Take the Girl,” but at the time, staring up at my black ceiling, it was just comfortable background noise.

I waited until about eleven, when I knew my parents were asleep and it was dark enough out. I slid out of bed and grabbed my black jacket, my socks muffling any sound I made. I grabbed my sneakers from their place by my door, and carried them out with me. I had to be careful, because I didn’t want to make the floorboards creak and wake my parents up. In the dark, I nearly tripped over a lump in the carpet, but I managed to stumble in silence.

I slowly unlocked and opened the heavy door, creeping outside without a sound. As soon as I closed the door behind me, I slid into my sneakers and surveyed the yard. Nothing moved. It was almost as if the entire yard was holding its breath, waiting for me to run.

I was probably running on adrenaline when I took off across the yard, because I’m not much of a runner. And it showed when I slowed down, breathing hard, as I left the neighborhood behind me.

Switching to an easy pace, I walked through the darkened town. The streetlights and neon signs flickered and flashed in protest to the late hours. I passed a dark Long John Silvers’ and turned down the next street. The lights grew dim as I walked down the gravelly road. Stones crunched beneath my feet. For some reason I felt nervous, as if someone was watching me. I tried not to be stupid and paranoid, but I started walking a bit faster anyway.

Soon the bridge came into view, and I slowed my pace. Even in the dark, I could make out the shapes. It arched gently out of the ground above the riverbed, like a cat waking from an all day power-nap. A bench rested lazily at the very peak overlooking the river. It was a place where late-night lovers would often sit and talk, or just enjoy the recklessness of sneaking out to see each other. I guess it was ironic enough that he called me there, but at the time, I just thought he was being romantic. The trees hanging along the road cradled the moon in a leafy embrace. I barely noticed the lack of stars.

I was anxious and nervous, and the closer I got, the worse the feeling got. At first, I didn’t see him, and my heart probably skipped a beat somewhere in there out of fear at him standing me up. But a moment later, I saw a silhouette walk up the opposite side of the bridge and lean against the railing.

Taking a shaky breath, I continued towards the bridge, attempting to hold my head high and appear braver than I felt. He must’ve noticed me coming, because even in the moonlight, I could see him raise a hand and wave at me. From a distance, this guy was making my heart skip. Or maybe that was uncertainty.

Now that he saw me, I jogged up to the bridge, oblivious to practically everything around me. Had I been paying attention, I might have noticed the moon glittering off the river, or the trees blowing in a breeze I couldn’t feel, or maybe even the one other couple walking past the mystery man I’d come to meet. But I didn’t

What I did notice, however, was every darkened detail of the mystery man; his shaggy hair hanging in his eyes, his athletic frame leaning easily against the railing, hands in the pockets of his jeans. It was hard to tell how tall he was in that position, but he was obviously at least a few inches taller than I was.

I went right up beside him and rested my elbows on the edge of the bridge, staring over the river. I tried to act casual, the complete opposite to how I felt. My emotions were whipping up a hurricane inside.
I gave up telling people I hear voices. So now I talk to the voices instead.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:15 pm
megsug says...

Okay, you can discount like two of the views because I had to come to this story three times for different interruptions. I wanted to point out before I started the review that there are people who will "review for food." If you click on their link, you can ask for a review, and I'm sure you've heard this before but, if you review others will review you. PM me if there is anything else you need reviewed.

AddictionToFiction wrote:(only 2 comments on 12 pages) Yikes! Did you post that all at once? That's a lot for people to read at one time.

Nigha walked slowly toward Kate’s house, the rain feeling like a hissing afterthought. That was beautiful.She couldn’t take her eyes off the door, and she walked up the gravel drive and onto the porch. Closing her eyes, afraid it wouldn’t work again, Nigha held her breath and walked through the door.
What wouldn't work again? Have you tried before? When did you try? I need a little background. You don't get to this at all even toward the end.

Her eyes opened and she saw the inside of her best friend’s house. It was dark inside, but she could see well enough. She exhaled in relief at the familiar room, the sofa in the corner, the TV above the brick fireplace, the moonlight coming in through the curtains. Nigha could even smell the familiar scent of Kate’s living room.
I wouldn't use even. Even makes it sound like it's a miracle she can smell. If it is a miracle, I need some explanation.

Nigha walked past the living room to the staircase just around the wall. She paused at the bottom for a moment, and just stared up. Knowing she couldn’t turn back but being afraid to go on wasn’t easy. She set her mind and lifted her chin slightly, and started up the stairs.
I think you meant not being afraid wasn't going to be easy. Set her mind to... what? Go up, not be afraid... The possibities are endless. Again, I need clarification. I know you don't want to reveal that she's a ghost... or whatever but at least foreshadow or something.

The toilet flushed down the hall and Nigha wavered. She sped up after that and walked down the hallway until she stood in front of Kate’s door. Everything else seemed dark and out of focus besides Kate’s door. WHY!?Nigha clamped her eyes shut and took a step into the door. She passed right through the wood door and held her breath as she emerged into Kate’s room. Whoa! Somehow I missed that part when I read this the first time. Did she shudder? What was she feeling? Description would be nice here and you have a talent for eloquent description. Kate was just climbing back into bed, more than half asleep, obviously having been the one who flushed the toilet.

She took a shaky breath which Kate didn’t seem to hear, and said, “Kate.”

Kate whirled around in bed, now clearly awake. Her eyes widened and her hand flew to her mouth, stifling a tiny scream. Nigha looked down at herself and saw her opened jacket and the three bloodstains on her white shirt. She didn't notice that before?Her eyes widened and she instantly whipped the jacket closed. “Kate, we need to talk,” she said quickly.Maybe just a little. :)

“Nigha, oh my God, Nigha!” Kate cried, horrified. She stood off her bed and walked to Nigha, one hand outstretched as if to touch her, the other over her mouth. Her expression was one of horror and shock. “What happened to you?” she whispered, unable to muster anything louder.

“Kate, calm down. I’m… look, I have to talk to you,” Nigha said quickly, crossing her arms over her stomach to keep her jacket closed over the blood. “It’s not as simple as you think.” I don't think Kate thinks it's simple.

“You walked through the door, Nigha! How did she see that? She was turned away, right? If she can't hear a shaky breath how is she going to hear the click of a door closing?No, this I get that this is not what I think. But I don’t know what to think. What are you…? They told me… you’re parents are worried sick!” she finally managed. “They said you’re missing. You vanished last night. You….”

“Kate, just stop for a minute. I have something important to tell you. But this might take awhile…”

I got a black rose the day I died. It wasn’t what you might think; it wasn’t my soul I lost. I mean it quite literally—my life ended. And all because I let my guard down around a charismatic psychopath.

I’d gotten a letter in the mail one day, asking me to come to the Cobb Bridge after dark on Friday. I wasn’t sure what to make of it at first, but I was stupid and curious, so I held on to it.

The next morning, when I climbed out of bed and went to open my curtains, I saw a rose the color of blood on fire What does that mean? I don't like that description. Who has seen blood on fire? No one so no one would know what you meant., sitting on my windowsill just beyond the glass. And when I got home from school on Thursday, there was a perfect white rose resting on the sill, waiting for me to see it.

Intrigued and in a sort of awe, I added it to the smooth wooden vase on my desk. She really isn't creeped out? Does she think it's a boy from school? It seems like a stretch to me. I picked up the letter from its place next to the vase, as if I wanted to remind myself this was all actually happening and the letter was real. A chill ran up my spine as I read it.

On Friday night, sneak out of your house and meet me at Cobb Bridge. I’ve wanted to meet you for a long time now, so I’m going to give you this before I change my mind. Don’t let anyone know you’re coming.
-J

CREEPY!Has she never heard of Stranger Danger?

By now, I was extremely curious. No guy had ever gone to all this trouble to ask me out or tell me he liked me. I really wanted to meet the mysterious guy who’d been sending me roses. Maybe she has an idea who it is like John from Biology?

That night, I fell asleep staring at them, my mind slowly drifting off to a place of old-fashioned chivalry and romance.Liked this. I beat the sun up that morning, and climbed out of bed, nervous excitement growing inside me. I made a beeline straight for the windowsill, my bare feet padding against the cold floorboards with barely a sound. Friday had finally come.

I flung open my window saw a black rose. It was the most devastatingly beautiful thing I’d ever seen, with waxy black petals and a deep green stem. Again, beautiful description. A little Phantom of the Opera.And just under my window, written in the soft, damp dirt, were two words that made the hairs on my arms stand on end for reasons I didn’t know at the time.

Can’t wait.
I can't get over the fact that she isn't creeped out even just a little. There's nothing going on in the back of her mind? I guess when you're young you're stupid... but really?

The day seemed to drag on endlessly. I kept looking at the clock, then the window, then back to the clock. I spent my classes doodling and struggling to pay attention, which was hard, since I was nearly giddy with anticipation. Had I known then it would’ve been my last day in class, I might’ve socialized more, or even listened to the teacher.

Kate could tell I was preoccupied, and she prodded me about it all through lunch. “C’mon, Ny, please,” she begged. Her blue eyes were twinkling with mischievous hope.

I just grinned and shook my head. “It’s a secret. But I’ll tell you on Monday,” I said, getting all my things together and slinging my backpack over my shoulders. Lunch was almost over, so I started walking to the trashcan to dump my trash.

Kate pouted as she followed me over. “You’re no fun. Okay, I’m gonna guess then. Let me think…. Well, it’s you, so it can’t be a guy… and it’s obviously good, so… ooh! I got it! Did your parents finally give in to get a dog?” she rambled, her eyes lighting up as she spoke, as though she just figured it out.
Kate seems like a nice person. I like that character.

I laughed and looked her dead in the eye with a grin. “Kate, if my parents ever let me have a dog, I wouldn’t wait to tell you,” I said. What's important about the fact of looking her dead in the eye? She's not lying...

She sighed. “True…. Come on, you gotta tell me!” She’d resorted back to begging, and I wasn’t surprised. “I’ll buy you lunch on Monday,” she tried.

I considered it, but then remembered what the note said: don’t let anyone know you’re coming. “Monday. Tomorrow, if you come over,” I said.

“Meanie. Just know I’ll be there before noon,” Kate said.

“I figured,” I said, unable to mask my amusement. “Love you. Mean it!” I called as she walked off, obviously sulking. I guess I was in a better mood than I should’ve beenNo, aside from the creepiness factor that I'm beginning to ignore I would be about that happy that some guy was paying that much attention to me too., but the fact that the person who wrote me the letter could be some stalker creep never crossed my mind. Really? How could it not?

I left school and listened to the radio while my mom drove me home. I couldn’t wait until I turned sixteen so I could drive myself to school. That would make life so much simpler, I thought with a sigh. Then I wouldn’t have to sit there quietly and pretend nothing was on my mind. Not that I wanted to talk about it at the time anyway, but it just seemed to make everything more awkward for me. This whole paragraph is kind of random. Stalker creep and BOOM! I can't wait till I can drive.

“Anything wrong, Nigha?” Mom asked, glancing at me briefly.
Has Nigha done anything to get Mom on her tail about a problem?

I shook my head. “I’m fine. Just tired,” I lied. It was a convincing lie, because I was always tired after school. But today, I was too excited to be tired, even though I didn’t dare show it. Get rid of the even. It doesn't sound right.I couldn’t let her think anything was wrong, because then, knowing my mom, she’d get all weird and pushy.Hey! That's my mom too! :D

I leaned my head against the window and tried to picture the guy I’d be meeting. What will he be like? I wondered. Tall, dark and handsome? A cute, charming blond? Nothing seemed quite right, so eventually I gave up trying. Why couldn't you find a description that "seemed quite right?"Wouldn’t it be ironic, I thought, if he was actually someone I knew.Don't you think it's someone you know? I hope you do... or the creepiness factor goes way up.

Nighttime couldn’t come fast enough as far as I was concerned. The sun seemed to drag itself down slowly, antagonizing me on purpose.Loved that part! I barely had an appetite, and you wouldn’t believe how unappetizing my mom’s broccoli casserole looked and smelled. And it tasted worse than puke, in my opinion. I picked at it, but never actually ate any of it.

“Nigha, you not hungry?” my mom asked. “You’re not sick, are you?”

“I’m fine, mom. Just not a fan,” I said, glancing down at my heap of green and yellow mush. God, if my mom never cooks dinner again, it would be too soon. She’d let me cook most nights, since I could at least manage to make something edible. The only thing she’d ever make is baby-barf broccoli casserole. That's really all she makes? I hope you're a good cook.

“Just eat it,” she said with a sigh. But how could she say that when she wasn’t even eating it? She claimed it wasn’t good for her cholesterol and was having some soup instead. And that smelled good, despite the stench coming off the casserole.Why go to the trouble of making a casserole if both of you aren't going to eat it?

Not fair, I thought angrily. I left the table and took my plate to the kitchen, dumping about a pound of the gunk into the trashcan. “I’m going to bed,” I said, heading directly to my room. You've been sorry about not socializing at school... That was the last thing you said to your mom. You left angry. Some regret would be nice here.I closed the door and looked at the roses. Tonight, I get to meet you.

I propped myself up with pillows against the wall and opened a book. I couldn’t really focus on the words and ended up turning on the radio. Later, I found it ironic that the song playing was “Don’t Take the Girl,” but at the time, staring up at my black ceiling, it was just comfortable background noise.

I waited until about eleven, when I knew my parents were asleep and it was dark enough out. No big deal here... but you haven't spoken of your dad once. Only mom the whole time. Did dad eat the baby gunk casserole too?I slid out of bed and grabbed my black jacket, my socks muffling any sound I made. I grabbed my sneakers from their place by my door, and carried them out with me. I had to be careful, because I didn’t want to make the floorboards creak and wake my parents up. In the dark, I nearly tripped over a lump in the carpet Why not a toy or a shoe? I don't like a lump in the carpet. I've never had one so I don't know how realistic that is. Could you really trip over it?, but I managed to stumble in silence.

I slowly unlocked and opened the heavy door, creeping outside without a sound. As soon as I closed the door behind me, I slid into my sneakers and surveyed the yard. Nothing moved. It was almost as if the entire yard was holding its breath, waiting for me to run.

I was probably running on adrenaline when I took off across the yard, because I’m not much of a runner. And it showed when I slowed down, breathing hard, as I left the neighborhood behind me.Amen, sister. I can't run either! :smt001

Switching to an easy pace All of this excitement and you're walking? At least go to a fast paced walk or a jog., I walked through the darkened town. The streetlights and neon signs flickered and flashed in protest to the late hours.Great description, again. I passed a dark Long John Silvers’ and turned down the next street. The lights grew dim as I walked down the gravelly road. Stones crunched beneath my feet. For some reason I felt nervous, as if someone was watching me. About time.I tried not to be stupid and paranoid,No! that's what paranoia is for. So what, we're wrong most of the time? but I started walking a bit faster anyway. Toward the danger. I smell irony.

Soon the bridge came into view, and I slowed my pace. Even in the dark, I could make out the shapes. It arched gently out of the ground above the riverbed, like a cat waking from an all day power-nap. A bench rested lazily at the very peak overlooking the river. It was a place where late-night lovers Earlier in the story you said this girl wasn't exactly a boy catcher and she comes off as innocent since she didn't catch the creepy guy vibe. How does she know "late-night lovers" come here? By the way, I love that, "Late-night lovers." Alliteration. would often sit and talk, or just enjoy the recklessness of sneaking out to see each other. I guess it was ironic enough that he called me there Not really., but at the time, I just thought he was being romantic. The trees hanging along the road cradled the moon in a leafy embrace. I have to say it!!! Beautiful description. You really do have a talent.I barely noticed the lack of stars. Why is there a moon but no stars? It is 11:30-ish. Is it cloudy? If so add something about how the moon broke free of the cloud's captivity... or something.

I was anxious and nervous, and the closer I got, the worse the feeling got. Then run away!!!! Stupid little girl!!! Why do you die? AHHH! Have you ever seen a horror movie? At first, I didn’t see him, and my heart probably skipped a beat somewhere in there out of fear at him standing me up. But a moment later, I saw a silhouette walk up the opposite side of the bridge and lean against the railing.

Taking a shaky breath, I continued towards the bridge, attempting to hold my head high and appear braver than I felt. He must’ve noticed me coming, because even in the moonlight, I could see him raise a hand and wave at me. From a distance, this guy was making my heart skip. Or maybe that was uncertainty. Sorry for my outburst a paragraph ago. Is he a man or a boy. If he's a man why isn't she running? Why is she interested in a man if he's a man? Her creepy radar should be booting up about now.

Now that he saw me, I jogged up to the bridge, oblivious to practically everything around me. Had I been paying attention, I might have noticed the moon glittering off the river, or the trees blowing in a breeze I couldn’t feel, or maybe even the one other couple walking past the mystery man Do you literally mean man or is he a boy. Still confused.I’d come to meet. But I didn’t There's no period here where you need one. Isn't it mean to have a couple walking past. Maybe they could have saved her.

What I did notice, however, was every darkened detail of the mystery man; his shaggy hair hanging in his eyes, his athletic frame leaning easily against the railing, hands in the pockets of his jeans. It was hard to tell how tall he was in that position, but he was obviously at least a few inches taller than I was. Sounds hot... and creepy. Is he a man or a boy? I'm going to keep repeating it until I know.

I went right up beside him and rested my elbows on the edge of the bridge, staring over the river. I tried to act casual, the complete opposite to how I felt. My emotions were whipping up a hurricane inside.

Okay, so I have to say it one more time. Wonderful, beautiful description. Great. I loved it. I'm going raving mad. It was that great. How ignorant she was and how she doesn't think creepy when she gets roses on her windowsill is a little unbelievable but it is a great story at the core. The first part before the flashback is a little shaky. Again PM if you need a review.
Megsug
Test

27 Reviews

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:00 am

Hey Megsug, thanks for the review. Originally we were supposed to get peer-edits in class, so my editor read the whole thing, but only gave me two comments.

I hadn't ever realized just how pathetic my mian character was.... I can get into detail about the areas around, but I guess I'm a bit lacking in the characterization, so thanks for pointing that out. As for the stalker dude, he's 19ish. And I'm glad you like him--that's what I was going for. You're right though, the creeper radar should've gone off. I guess I never realized what I was missing exactly, but I think I've just about got it: realistic, deep characterization.

Closing her eyes, afraid it wouldn’t work again, Nigha held her breath and walked through the door.
What wouldn't work again? Have you tried before? When did you try? I need a little background. You don't get to this at all even toward the end.

It wasn't explained yet because this isn't the end. This was only a half-way point I picked because like you said, 12 pages is a bit much to read all in one go 'round. Hopefully I'll answer the question later on, and if not, let me know and I'll focus some serious attention right here on foreshadowing and question-answering later on.

I was anxious and nervous, and the closer I got, the worse the feeling got. Then run away!!!! Stupid little girl!!! Why do you die? AHHH! Have you ever seen a horror movie?

You have a good point, but this was more of that stupid curiosity. Like that feeling you get when you go on your first date; you're really worried about making a bad first impression. That sort of thing. Hopefully some things will be explained when I post the second half.

Anyway, I really appreciate your review! My classmate didn't go into depth, like I said, so I never realized just how bad my main character way. I'll work on editing it and I'll mainly focus on Nigha's believablity and reality.

Thanks again,
-Addict

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 am
LauRux says...

Holy Cow! My heart was racing! Megsug was right, you do have talent. She pretty much covered everything in her review. I just wanted to say that I loved it. Though her name sort of made me confused at first. Neye-Jah, right? Going to read the second one now!
Favorite books:

The Hunger Games

Eyes Like Stars

Life of Pi

Mortal Instruments

Howl's Moving Castle

27 Reviews

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 pm

LauRux -- I'm glad you liked it so much, that makes my day! As for her name, it's pronounced exactly how it's spelled, Nigh-uh. And I'm going to be working on fixing the things Megsug pointed out, and hopefully get it edited and a little more realistic.

As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun