z

Young Writers Society

A shot of Arrogance (Chapter Four)

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:05 am
Sins says...

A Shot of Arrogance ~ Chapter Four

The official page thingy for A Shot of Arrogance. Join and you get a monkey. :smt001

Every shade of every colour was laid out in front of me. From skirts to underwear, my clothes were folded into individual piles, each one as tidy as the other. I was lying comfortably on my bed as Ella held out my clothes in front of me, asking whether I wanted to take them to Reading or not.
“What about this?” Ella smiled at me, holding up a floral skirt.
I raised my eyebrows for a few seconds, thinking if I had anything that would go with it.
“No thanks,” I shrugged, glancing up at the purple clock that hung on my cream wall.
It was almost half past ten now and Richard would be here in fifteen minutes or so. Thankfully, he’d agreed to come with me to Reading. My father was more than glad.
Once I’d picked a few different outfits, Ella began carefully placing them into my small suitcase on the end of my bed. I wasn’t sure how she did it, but she managed to fit every single piece of clothing into the compact suitcase.
“There we go,” she smiled, tapping the suitcase before looking back up at me. “So you like this Richard fella then?”
I couldn’t help but imitate the smile that was placed on Ella’s lips. She was right; I very much liked Richard Brooks. I couldn’t wait to spend some time with him and get to know him better.
The past three weeks had passed by so quickly, it seemed impossible. To my delight, practically every moment of it was spent either talking to Richard, or texting him. There was a part of me, a part deep down, that thought I was maybe acting blind about the whole thing. I'd only know Richard for just under a month and I was already falling hard for him. I might not have even been falling for him. The knowledge of having to marry soon for my family's sake may have overshadowed my other priorities, but I didn't mind. I hadn't fought with Richard once so far.
I looked at Ella and nodded, giggling slightly. She laughed before picking up the suitcase from my bed and dropping it onto my carpeted floor. As she did so, the memories of weeks ago entered my head. Maybe she’d tell me now...?
“Ella?” I asked, sitting up in my bed. “Why did Oliver pass out a while ago?” I tried sounding as casual as I possibly could.
“Um, not sure really. Just one of those things, I guess,” she replied, lying.
I sighed and rolled my eyes as Ella smiled at me and left my bedroom. It was hard for me to understand why she wouldn’t tell me. I knew Ella too well for her to lie to me. After spending most of my childhood with her, it was easy to notice the way that the tone of her voice rose slightly when she lied.
Taking one of the mints from the bowl on my bedside table, I popped it into my mouth and stood up. Glancing at my phone, I was disappointed at my empty inbox. I suddenly looked back up, hearing a knock on the door.
“Come in,” I said.
My bedroom door opened to reveal a dark haired man, dressed in a tidy black shirt and a pair of matching trousers. On his face was a soft smile.
I looked at Richard standing in my doorway. His hair was brushed back, making his smouldering chestnut coloured eyes appear brighter than ever.
“Hello!” I yelped a bit too eagerly. “How are you doing?”
“Hey,” Richard laughed, “I’m very well, thank you. What about you?”
“Good.” I giggled.
I could feel my cheeks reddening up as I spoke. I’d only said hello to Richard and I’d already made myself come across as a silly little girl. I didn’t need Oliver to embarrass me; I could do that myself.

We’d been in the car for around forty minutes and I couldn’t wait to arrive at Reading. I’d been laughing all of the way there because of Richard. He’d been telling me some extremely amusing stories about some of his experiences.
“You should have seen him,” Richard laughed, “he must have spent at least ten minutes trying to turn the blender on. It took him another ten minutes to finally realise that he needed to plug the machine into a power socket!”
Richard and I started laughing. My hands covered my mouth, trying to hide the strange squeaking sound that came out of it.
“Wow, hysterical.” I turned to see Oliver with his head leaning against the car’s tinted window, his eyes following the raindrops that fell down it.
I nudged him hard on his side, automatically making him flinch. He gave me a dirty look before muttering something under his breath and pulling the hood on his jacket over his head.
Oliver was in a sour mood since I had made him go to Reading with me. I didn’t make him go. I just told him that he had to go if he wanted to keep his job. To be honest, I was hoping that he wouldn’t turn up. That uncomfortable guilty feeling was still in my stomach, for some reason, so I felt the need to give him one more chance. I was beginning to regret it already.
I continued speaking to Richard for a couple of minutes until I heard the crunching sound of gravel underneath the car wheels. Leaning over Oliver, I peered out the window to see a tall Marricot hotel a few hundred yards into the distance.
I bit my lip as the car neared the building. It certainly wasn't the grandest hotel we've ever stayed in, but I only needed to look at it once to realise that it was blowing a big hole in my father's wallet. Stupid pride.
“It looks like we’re here,” Richard said, peering out of the window.
The car stopped in front of the large main entrance and shortly later, the car door beside Richard was opened by the chauffeur. Richard and I exited the car through that door, while Oliver opened the door on his side and stepped out of the car.
Come on, Victoria, I thought to myself, Stop worrying and just enjoy it. Letting out a long breath, I relaxed my entire body. My dad wasn't stupid enough to waste his money on something like this. He'd probably gotten some deal or something. Maybe the money issues weren't even as bad as I thought. Yeah, things couldn't have been that bad.
I more or less ran into the pure white building and I could hear Richard laughing behind me, his hands in his pockets as he jogged up the steps that led to the main entrance. After we were inside, Oliver shortly followed, wheeling my suitcase behind him, along with my parents and Ella who had come in another clean, black car.
We waited in the seating area at the front of the hotel while the rooms were getting sorted. As I sat down on the chocolate brown leather sofa, I noticed that Oliver actually had a somewhat happy expression on his face.
“This isn’t very nice, is it?” I said slowly, observing the room around me.
It wasn’t that the hotel was dirty or anything, it was just that I’d been in much nicer ones. The brown sofas didn’t match the floral decorations at all and the room itself was a bit too crowded for my liking. It was as if they had tried to stuff as many chairs, sofas, and tables into the room as possible. What did I expect though? We were rather tight on money.
“Dude, are you kidding?” Oliver said in awe. “This place is fricking amazing!”
His eyes scanned every corner of the room as a pleasured grin grew on his face.
Ella laughed at Oliver’s reaction as he began staring at the photography that hung on the dark coloured walls. I’d actually been enjoying his company a lot more when he was in a mood with me; he didn’t talk half as much as he normally did.
“Victoria,” my mother said, walking over to me. “You’ll be sharing a room with Ella. Your room number is...” she glanced at the piece of paper in her hands, “573 and Mr. Brooks, you’ll be in the next room, 574. As for you, Oliver, you'll be sharing a room with the chauffeurs.”
Richard nodded and smiled politely while Oliver put his thumb up and winked at my mother. I felt sorry for the chauffeurs, that was for sure. My mother folded up the piece of paper and placed it neatly into her pocket.

A small grin grew on my face as my eyes stared into the long mirror before me. I was wearing a scarlet red dress that fell to the top of my knees. On my feet were polished, black heels that shaped my legs so perfectly, they almost looked airbrushed. My dark hair was tied back, leaving a few curls to fall loosely down my neck.
The smell of expensive perfumes circled the air around me, broadening my smile even more. The soft breeze wafted in from the open window along with the sound of a peaceful silence. Once more, I looked into the mirror. I felt incredible. Within the matter of days, things had finally started looking better.
Humming quietly to myself, I skipped over to the double bed at the back of the hotel room, fondling my dress. I jumped onto the perfectly made bed and shut my eyes, completely relaxed. Lying on my bed, I twirled my fingers in my hair.
“What do you think you’re doing?” a voice interrupted my relaxation.
Opening my eyes, I sat up on the bed, still in a world of my own. Standing at the end of the bed was Richard. I smiled at him but he didn’t smile back. Instead, he glowered at me as though he was sucking on a lemon.
Standing up, I laughed. Richard was wearing one of his usual chic black suit and his hair was done perfectly, of course. There wasn’t a strand out of place. Everything about him looked amazing. Everything besides his facial expression.
“You’re not going out like that,” Richard said blankly.
I began laughing again until I noticed the stern look in Richard’s eyes. “It’s not funny, Victoria. You look terrible. That dress is too short.”
As the harsh words slid out of his mouth, a huge lump formed in my throat. I didn’t understand. What was he saying? Richard wasn’t like this. He didn’t say things like this.
I gaped at him as my heart paused for a few brief seconds. No words left my mouth; my eyes were the only things doing anything right now.
“Pardon...?” I asked him, still in disbelief.
This was a joke. This must have been a joke. I’d made an effort to look exquisite for Richard and he said that to me? No way. That wasn’t Richard.
“I can see your knickers in that dress,” he shook his head, “put something suitable on. We’re going to dinner, not a brothel.”
At this point, I was gawking at Richard, my eyes wide. My entire body was frozen in its place and my head was spinning as I tried to take everything in.
Swallowing hard, my eyes began stinging as pools of water began forming in them. Wiping them, I realised how stupid I was being. My dress was pretty short and there was a lot of make-up on my face. Maybe Richard was just in a bad mood or something? I was sure that he didn’t mean what he said. He was making sure that I didn’t go out and embarrass myself. Yeah, that was right.
“Sorry, you’re right.” I apologised, my cheeks reddening.
Richard nodded his head and sat down by the wooden dressing table, still looking at me. Running around like a heedless chicken, I rummaged through the wardrobe until I found something suitable to wear. In the end, I found a long, black dress. It was rather plain, but at least it was better than what I had on before.
Richard was still sitting at the dressing table when I scurried into the bathroom and grabbed a wet wipe. Carefully, I looked into the mirror and rubbed off some of the make-up I had on. I was surprised when I held the wipe in front of my face to see it covered in an explosion of colours. I did wear too much make-up, didn’t I?
Dropping the stained wet wipe into the metal bin, I left the bathroom, closing the door behind me. As I neared him, Richard turned to me and smiled.
“That’s better.” He smiled, taking my hand as he stood up.
Not taking the smile off his face, his glimmering eyes stared into mine. That was the moment my entire body felt numb. It was perfect. As cliché as it may have sounded, it was as though it were only him and me in the world. It felt like I could do anything right now as long as he did it with me.
My eyes smiled back at his as I pushed my head forward slightly. Moments later, his warm lips pressed softly against mine. Three seconds too soon, my lips were released and I was once again staring into his eyes.
“You look gorgeous, Victoria.” He swooned, stroking my face.
That was better. That was the Richard I'd gotten to know.
Last edited by Sins on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:36 am
MiaParamore says...

Heya Skins! :wink: So, I was just seeing the Romantic Novels Section and I saw that you've posted this. Hence I came to review, ain't I great?

Neither Richard or I had said anything yet.
Here it should be nor. Had you written Either than you could have used or. But that wouldn't have done given this situation.

I knew that it was stupid, I knew that I didn’t have anything to feel guilty about. Maybe I had been a bit harsh on Oliverwithin in the past few days, but come on, he was hardly pleasant to be around.

“Perfect doesn’t exist, Tori. When someone comes across as perfect, it ain’t good. The worst ones always seem perfect at first and then, when you realise who they really are, bam; you’re stuck with them. I know his type, Tori.”
Or either you can do perfects with don't.

I was extremely annoyed now.
You are just telling that she is annoyed, but I want to feel it. Again, here you're using Telling thing rather than Showing. I would actually like to know how her body language was and would like to see more other than her thoughts.

Why he thought celery was orange, I had no idea.
What about- I had no idea why he thought celery was orange?

First of all I have noticed this habit of yours that whenever you post anything here on YWS, you criticize it yourself like it's too long, too boring, nothing that I like, etc, etc. It's not a very good thing to do as the reviewer would get annoyed and besides neither over-confidence or low confidence is good. Sorry, if this seems unnecessary.

Secondly, I didn't find it too long, but of prefect length and according to me that's what should be the length of any ideal chapter.

I have started admiring you as a writer and I die to read your work. Also, I am very happy that you have started writing and posting again. You should never stop doing that like I have. :( What to do, I am getting too lame at writing, as if I were good ever.

Wow! You have some mystery here too and I think I know what it is but I would like to know if I am wrong or right so please don't stop writing this. Your writing has improved loads since the Can You See Me? Chapter 1 from when I have been reading your stories. The amount of sarcasm, the bold tone of the MC, everything is great. There's just one thing in this particular story that I would like to bring your attention towards. As Dreamy has mentioned it before also, I think that Richard just doesn't seem to be real to me. You have to yet develop his character now, and even if he's a negative one. :wink:. Just let us know how Tori is smitten by him, and what exactly she loves about him, even though I know she isn't that serious till now.

I just also noticed that you have made this into a novel, but you haven't added a synopsis or plot to it, so just do that.

I am speechless and I also don't have anything special to say, so I would shut up rather than boring you. :)

Good Luck writing,
~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Heya Skinsy! Here to review again.

Alright, did I miss a chapter here? I don't remember ever meeting anyone named Ella. The last thing I remember is Oliver passing out. EDIT: Shub explained to me who she is. Never mind that.

Anyway, I'll finish up your review now! Sorry it took me so long.

Okay! So, as you said, this wasn't exactly the world's most interesting chapter. To be honest, it was quite boring. But every story needs to be explained, and boring chapters are usually unavoidable. Here's what I tihnk you should work on:

-Time. Your characters have five line conversations, and then you tell us that an hour has passed. Un......less..... they....are....talk....ing....like...th...is....no...short.....con....ver....sation......is...that...long.

If you want to show time passing, you need to show that they're doing something during their convo that would cause it to go that slowly. Otherwise, they're moving in slow motion.

-Characters. Now, they're starting to round out. Oliver has become mysterious, adding more to his already good character. But Tori is still quite unlikeable, and Thomas is very flat. Now, you hinted in this chapter that Thomas will change. Good. Please add some more depth to him, preferably soon. You don't want readers to get bored of your characters. Ella seems like a good character, but she needs a little rounding. I think it would be beneficial if you showed a slightly feisty side of her, as you mentioned that she had one. Tori's dad is still flat. He's a stern, rich businessman. Yawn. Again, unless you plan for him to just pop up now and then to transition the story along, he needs rounding out.

-Descriptions. You do give us some, but you leave us imagining more often. What do the surroundings look like? Does Tori like them? Use all five senses. Give us a feel for where she is, so we don't have to guess.

This story is shaping up as you write more. Keep it up!

-Dreamy
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 pm
VivielTwixt says...

I've read the all of the chapters so I'll review the entire story I've read so far.

Plot

At the beginning of the story, I was bored. It sounded like another arranged marriage story. Then, as I read more, I grew more interested.I think it was the was arrival of Ollie that did it for me. It turned the story away from the stereotypicalness (yeah, I make up words). I love how you've added the mystery element because right now that's what has me hooked. So far, I'd say the plot's right on key.

Character

Your characters are good overall. I agree with Dreamy's suggestions about rounding them out slightly more, but I wouldn't worry too much about it since we're still at the beginning of the story and they're already pretty strong characters. I do think you can tell us more more of Richard's reactions, so we can understand him better.

I like and care about Victoria as a character, but I still think she's a jerk. Now this may have something to do with the fact that Oliver's my favorite character and she treats him like trash. I know that's her character and I'm not suggesting that you change it. I just wanted to let you know Ollie's my favorite character and is the coolest character in your entire story, so any enemies of him will be personally disliked. :x

Other

Dreamy, you meant Richard, not Thomas, right?

:D Nice job. I enjoyed this story and will be following it through to its completion. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. Now I will proceed to press the Like button...
If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world, there's nothing to it
-Wonka

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:25 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Oh, did I say Thomas? I meant Richard.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 am
Jas says...

Hey,

Can I guess what's going to happen?

Richard- Killed his brother to get the fortune OR will hit Victoria

Victoria- will end up with Oliver

Oliver- will end up with Victoria

Ella- is Olivers mom OR Olivers aunt

That's what I think. :) I didn't really see any problems. I really like how this is coming along but Tori needs to become more likable or we will resent her. :D

~Jas

P.S. Can you PM me to tell me if I was right on any of them?
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 pm
Sins says...

Thanks for all of the reviews, guys. :)
I know that I always say this, but I really do appreciate them. They help me a lot, especially considering I epically fail at reviewing my own work...

@Shubhi & Dreamy - You've actually got the right impression of Richard right now. I want him to come across as a rather plain, almost perfect character. I know that it seems kind of weird because that does in fact make him a boring character, but I'm hoping all of it will make sense by the next chapter. There's an important part about Richard in the next chapter where I'm hoping you#ll realise why I've made him so plain and perfect. ;)

@Dreamy - As for Torii's dad, I know he's not exactly original. He isn't really in the story all that much, but I am hoping to develop him a bit more as the story continues. I'm kind of stuck with him because I'm not entirely sure how I want to develop his character. I'll hopefully think of something! I also agree with you on the time passing thing, I really suck at that. :lol: Practice makes perfect, I guess.

@Viviel - I think I know what I'm doing with Tori... Knowing me, I'll mess it up, but ah well. I want her to come across as a bit of a jerk and I don't want the readers to absolutely adore her at the beginning. As the story progresses though, I want to develop her a bit and give her a bit of a taste of reality. Once she does taste a bit of reality, if everything goes to plan, she'll become less of a jerk and maybe a bit more likeable.

@Jasminebells - I sent you a PM answering your questions/guesses. I found it rather amusing to see what someone thought was going to happen in the story. After seeing what you did think will happen, I'm pretty happy with how the story is going so far, I think. I like the impressions that I gave you. :)
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:08 am
RacheDrache says...

I am so sorry for the delay in getting to this. You asked me to read days and days ago, but, I'm here now!

This might be because I haven't read the other chapters, but I'm somewhat confused as to the setting of this story. The dialogue is very much modern day, but the arranged marriage and marriage-before-this-date idea is fairly old-fashioned. Not that I'm a stickler for realism, but it struck me as odd and so I thought I'd mention it. Mainly, I'm just curious--where is this set? The British English is my only clue and it's not helping me out too much.

That's my only comment on story, really. I think the other reviewers already got it, and romance isn't my thing (at all) anyway in terms of genre. And so... onto the writing itself!

Your writing's strong, and you're carrying a character's voice rather than your own (as far as I can tell) despite the first person narrative. But, I've got some tips/tricks/whatever that I think will help it all come to life more.

The first is to remember that it's a first person narrative at all times, and as such, every detail that goes into the writing has to be something that the narrator would first notice and then deem worthy of mentioning. There's no need to say "I noticed the look in my father's eyes" because if the narrator can identify the look in her father's eyes, then obviously she noticed it!

This is true with pretty much any point of view, but especially with first person. You don't need the "I saw" and "I felt" and "I noticed" phrases 99 times out of 100. They're clunky and redundant and blah, so away with 'em. Either chop them off the head of the sentence, or rewrite the sentence. For instance:

I noticed the anger in my father’s eyes that was clearly directed at Oliver

could be

The anger in my father's eyes was clearly directed at Oliver.

or

My father shot a scathing look in Oliver's direction.

Something like that.

Next, dialogue formatting! The boringest of boringest things to mention in a critique, but it has to be done. Basically, some of your tags are formatted wrong. Indirect tags (where the connection between the speaker is implied rather than grammatically established) are formatted as direct tags (where the bit of dialogue is part of the sentence.) Since that was a mouthful, examples:

“I suppose we’ll speak soon?” he sounded hopeful.

should be "I suppose we'll speak soon." He sounded hopeful. because while you can sound hopeful, you can't sound "I suppose we'll speak soon." 'Sound' just isn't that sort of verb. And therefore, the tag is a sentence unto itself and punctuated as such with the full capitalization.

But
“No.” Oliver said, shaking his head. “I ain’t going.”

should be “No,” Oliver said, shaking his head. “I ain’t going.” with the comma instead of the period because "Oliver said" isn't a complete sentence. The "No," is the direct object of "said." What did Oliver say? He said, "No."

(If you'd like a more in-depth explanation, let me know and I'd be more than happy to help out. I just never know what type of grammar background anyone on this site has and don't want to type the full explanation out if you don't need it :-) Yes, lazy. I know.)

Onward!

Another thing--you explain a little too much, as far as I can tell (remember that this isn't my genre.) In particular, right after the scene break, there's a paragraph that does quite a bit of telling. It's the main culprit in the piece (all those 'I knew's and 'I felt's), but I guess it goes back to what I was talking about earlier before I went off in a different direction.

And that's to always remember that this is first person. That means you get all the limitations of your narrator and the perspective. No cheating allowed. No matter how much you want to describe this tree or the sunset or whatever, if your narrator doesn't notice it, tough luck. And you have to use your narrator's words, too. After all, she's 'writing' this story.

You do a good job of this already, so don't get me wrong. I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to write a first person story or anything :) Just saying that in addition to the character's voice itself, what details you reveal is crucial--and so is the information you reveal. In other words, because that's making no sense: as much as you want to tell us how Tori feels, you can't unless Tori would and could actually explain.

Gonna have to cut this review short, unfortunately, but let me know if you want any further explanation on anything, anything at all! And, sorry again that this took so long, and that it's not complete. :(

Rach

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

Jai here, continuing to review your novel as one of the Four Musketeers.

First, your spoiler:

Victoria Kingston must be married by the time she's eighteen. At the moment, she's seventeen. Otherwise, her cousin and his family will inherit her family home and everything that her family owns leaving them bankrupt. If she marries before her cousin turns eighteen, she will be the one inheriting everything that belongs to the Kingston family.

Why. Why would you tell this to us when it has never been mentioned beforehand? If you could have only mentioned this somewhere in chapter one, two or three, perhaps I would not have been so anal asking why she needed to marry for money.

You also have Victoria here as seventeen, when you say she is sixteen in the first chapter.

In terms of the cousin inheriting everything, why? Is that in a will or something?

Ella wasn’t the only one who was pissed off with him now. I should have been used to this behaviour because that was just the way my father behaved. I was aware that I was arrogant, but I was nowhere near as arrogant as my father.

Did Victoria have a brain spasm and forget the fact that she was the one to cause Oliver to faint?

In the meantime, my father had began tapping his foot and sighing impatiently.Neither Richard or I had said anything yet.

“There we go, the boy’s fine.” He said, “Now that he is fine, I’m sure he won’t mind getting something to eat for Mr. Brooks." He turned to Richard. “You must be starving,”

Ah, so Victoria gets being an ass from her father :P

No explanation of why Oliver just passed out like that? You could flesh it out by saying he was diabetic and he hadn't had his sugar fix - which would fit perfectly. You'd have to research it a bit first.

Maybe I had been a bit harsh on Oliver within the past few days, but come on, he was hardly pleasant to be around. Then again, I didn’t treat him as well as I could have...

Past few days? To my knowledge, meeting Richard happened the very next day after Oliver was hired.

He was leaving an hour or so early because of what had happened today.

Where does he live? How does he get to the house? You mention that the property is isolated. Why aren't the two of them attending high school? Why would they hire a teenager to be an assistant? A male one at that? It just doesn't work.

“Look, if you don’t turn up here tomorrow by eleven tomorrow, don’t expect to keep your job.”

I hope Victoria rides a horse and gets bucked off and kicked in the teeth.

“My parents are going to ask Richard if he would like to join us. My attention will be on him, not you.”

Then why on earth does she need him there? Power trip much? How much is he getting paid to be her "assistant"?

Overall:

Oliver is progressing as a character and he is indeed becoming more than the teenage dirtbag stereotype I placed on him. Victoria is still as delusional as before, and I sincerely hope she improves sometime soon because if your readers hate your main character, they start to question why they are reading about people they don't care about.

- Jai, one of the Four Musketeers. All for one, and one for all! Ye-ah!
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 am
Light_Devil! says...

Hey, it's me again. I must be getting annoying by now with all the Musketeer things I've mentioned, so I'm skipping straight to review.

Why did I have to act so blooming selfishly?

When did Victoria become so... English?

As Ella continued trying to wake Oliver up, my father was pacing back and forth, constantly glancing at the silver watch that was wrapped around his wrist.

Uhhh, where else would a watch be located?

I couldn’t help but notice a glint of annoyance in Ella’s eyes as she turned to my father. That was something I loved about Ella; she often gave people dirty looks, yet they’d never be any the wiser.

Well, I definitely hope not otherwise she'd be fired.

“Hallelujah!” my father said loudly. “It’s about time!”

Get rid of the "Hallelujah" he sounds to happy. Just put in the "It's about time!" instead. The first comment doesn't match his character.

In the meantime, my father had began tapping his foot and sighing impatiently.

Sounds like a bad continuance for a show. (In the meantime, at Kasey's house, something odd was about to occur...)

He was still a bit dizzy because it took him ages to actually stand up, and when he did eventually stand up, he almost fell back down again.

First part of this sentence makes no sense. How does your character know if he is still dizzy?

Oliver chuckled for some reason as he took his mobile phone out of his pocket.

Is this important or just mentioned for the hell of it?

Well, that was certainly an eventful few hours.

Wait... that was a few hours? What? Your sense of timing is... off.

Ella hadn’t actually told me why he’d passed out; she didn’t seem to want to tell me. He wasn’t so eager to let me now either. That didn’t really bother me that much. What did bother me was Ella.

Sentence contradiction. Ella doesn't bother her and then she does... Do you read this out loud? I think you should invest some time into doing that.

I knew that she was friends with his mother, who I was very intrigued to meet after experiencing the way Oliver behaved, but I didn’t understand why that meant Ella had to treat him like her child or something.

Intrigued wouldn't be right here... maybe compelled.

“Actually, aren’t you going to Reading or something tomorrow?”

Bleh...... Reading? I didn't even know that was place. I instantly thought it was a fortune-telling class...

Another stupid attempt of my father to show others that we weren't becoming bankrupt. It was also another stupid way of losing even more of our much needed money.

Repetitive use of words is... stupid. :P

Oliver needed to make up for his insolent behaviour within the past few days.

Oliver needs to work to make up for his insolence. Victoria needs to marry a rich, handsome man for hers. :?

“I can’t go, Tori. I’ve got more important things to than spend my time making you celery sticks or whatever that orange stuff is that you eat.”

Okay, can you write that he calls Victoria "Tori" somewhere in the few previous chapters, because when I was reading that before I was totally lost on who he was talking to.

“Tori, I ain’t from another species, you know. I don’t smoke or take drugs either, by the way. What I get up to in my spare time has nothing to do with you. All of you rich chicks are the same; you think that you know everything when you obviously don’t have a clue.”

Damn right, Oliver. You tell that stuck-up b*tch!

I gave him a strange look and he winked back at me which made me narrow my eyes at him.

Wha.. what just happened? Did he have a brain melt down and completely forget that Victoria is a brat?

“Perfect don’t exist, Tori. When someone comes across as perfect, it ain’t good. The worst ones always seem perfect at first and then, when you realise who they really are, bam! You’re stuck with them. I know his type, Tori.”

Is it bad that I'm expecting some sort of twist from this statement... like, "I once use to date a man like him"?

Overall:
Yes, well by now you must be getting sick of my views. Here we go - My view on Victoria remains the same. Finally, your story is progressing. Oliver remains my favourite character. This story is delving a little deeper into more meaningful things, which is good, but it might be a little too late to catch fickle readers.

Have A Nice Day,
Azrael.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm
Shearwater says...

Yo, Skinsy, Pink here ;)
So, I'm back for another chapter! Whoot, whoot!

“There we go,” She smiled, tapping the suitcase before looking back up at me. “so you like this Richard fella then?”

'She' should not be in caps, but 'so' should be.
“Um, not sure really. Just one of those things, I guess.” She replied, lying.

Comma instead of period.
I was disappointed to see that I had no messages, when I heard a quiet knock on my door.

Way too many 'I's' in this sentence. I would change it to, "Disappointed at my empty inbox, I looked up, hearing a knock on the door."
It isn't the best example, but you know where I'm getting at right?
Oliver was in a mood with me for making him go to Reading with me

The repetition of 'me' is kinda weird :(
I suggest: "Oliver was in a sour mood since I had made him go to Reading with me."
It wasn’t that the hotel was dirty or anything, it was just that I’d been in much nicer

Much nicer ones? Hotels? You need to finish that thought, I think.
“Victoria,” my mother said, walking over to me. “you’ll be sharing a room with Ella. Your room number is...” she glanced at the piece of paper in her hands, “573 and Mr. Brooks, you’ll be in the next room, 574. As for you, Oliver, you'll be sharing a room with the chauffeurs.”

You're missing some capitalization in here.
“Dude, are you kidding?” Oliver said in awe. “This place is fricking amazing!”

I knew he was gonna say that! XD

~~~

Overall
Firstly, I think you overused the word 'I' in this chapter. It wasn't that bad in the previous chapters but for some reason I suddenly feel like this chapter the word had been overused. It's hard to fix those, I know because I always have the same problem. Ugh, why can't they invent another word?
Anyway, I noticed there wasn't much of Ollie in this chapter and I'm disappointed, he's my favorite :( But, it's not like he can be everywhere, lol. Although, I wouldn't mind ahaha. Now, let's focus on Richard. I thought he was a gentleman, so what happened? I mean, telling her she looked like a slut and then going ahead and kissing her? It was really weird and I didn't get it. I was left dazzled and confused. Also, why in the world would Tori be willing to kiss him, or even let him? After that embarrassing moment, I don't think I'd be able to look the guy in the eyes. I would be sad, angry at myself and at him for saying it in such a manner. But of course, she's sorta blinded by love? or 'like' because I don't think she loves him yet and hopefully she doesn't. I don't like Richard, he's a meanie.
One last thing, I think this chapter had some off moments. Like, it wasn't written as well as your previous ones. Maybe it's because I had spotted plenty of repetitions or "I's" or something but I felt like you over explained a bit, not like as in emotions or something, more like actions. I'd like to take the cellphone scene as an example. You used my this and my that, laying it on my table. It was awkward to read and the constant use of a single word made it hard to follow the flow. Although, that was just my thoughts. Anyways, I still dislike Tori to an extent but I know she'll change, right? Ollie, just gotta love the dude. Well, that's all. Sorry, about the lateness of the review. I was gonna do it yesterday but it was my sister's birthday :)
Anyways, I'll get the next chapter done soon :3

~Shear

P.S. Thanks for the review on my chapter. ;)
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:22 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hiya Skins. You're going to be so fed up of me at the end of this day hahaha

On to the review. Because you've moved around chapters, I'm getting comments from previous chapters so I don't know if what I'm going to write is repetitive.

Here goes nothing. This chapter happened too fast. You're fast-fowarding, Skins. I don't want to know that Vic and Richard text and talk. I want to see them spend time together. I want afternoons walking in the park, a day at the pond. I want bike-rides, horserides. Give me depth and emotion, smiles and affection. Give me inside jokes, and hands brushings, hearts pounding. This is her first relationship and it is setting up to be her husband to be, right? So give us some scenes, show us what is going on. How are we supposed to feel for them, if we don't get the impression there is a 'them'?

Also, I think it's really weird and awkward that he would go meet her in her bedroom. That just isn't done. And how does he know where it is if there are so many hallways and doors? And then suddenly, in the hotel, he's in her room again, demanding she get changed. She seems like such a strong character, how can she permit him to boss her around, then kiss it better?

I get that she doesn't get any affection from her father, and she may be looking for it elsewhere. But this is just awkward. We want her to have a mind of her own. Already, she is going into this unwillingly, why would she ever allow him to treat her like dirt? To call her a slut?

And the Reading thing was supposed to be three weeks after the last chapter. And Ollie's STILL mad? A transition chapter would have been nice. I mean, we get more of Vic/Richard and Vic/Ollie.

All in all, not my favorite chapter, but still a good one. It's easier for me to see an overall plot, or any mistakes because I'm reading all this in one sitting. Hope this helps.

On to the next!
Tanya :D

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am
Yuriiko says...

HI there, Skinnykins!

Here to you-know-what. :wink:

First of all, if there is Team Edward and Team Jacob in Twilight then there is Team Oliver and Team Richard here too! And I am obviously with Team Oliver. *laughs*

Now on to the review. Comments, nitpicks highlighted in RED.

Once I’d picked a few different outfits, Ella began carefully placing them into my small suitcase on the end of my bed. I wasn’t sure how she did it, but she managed to fit every single piece of clothing that was previously on the end of my bed, into the compact suitcase.

Careful with your repetitions, my friend. :3

She was right; I very much liked Richard Brooks.

Maybe this is just me but why would Victoria even say that Ella's right about something? I mean, as far as I could see, Ella just asked her.

The knowledge of having to marry soon for my family's sake may have overshadowed my other priorities, but I didn't mind.I hadn't fought with Richard once so far.

Don't forget the space between the words "mind" and "I".

“Why did Oliver pass out a while ago?”

That highlighted phrase is a bit confusing. I mean how you've written it looks like Oliver had just passed out a few hours ago, not three weeks before.

“Um, not sure really. Just one of those things, I guess.” she replied, lying.

A comma. :3

“Come in,” I said.

Now, this is a good example of the proper way of placing a punctuation in a dialogue. See?

His eyes scanned every corner of the room as a pleasured grin grew on his face.

A small, pleasured grin grew on my face as my eyes stared into the long mirror before me.

They almost sound like twins. Seriously, there are a lot of words that can replace those phrases.

My dark hair was tied back, leaving a few loose curls to fall loosely down my neck.

A bit redundant to read. Perhaps you can just erase the adverb "loosely".

“You’re not going out like that.” Richard said blankly.

And again with this. :wink:

“It’s not funny, Victoria. You look terrible. That dress is too short.”

I am so (definitely) team Oliver.

“Sorry, you’re right.” I apologised, my cheeks reddening.

Just like I sad before, it'd be redundant if you place "apologize", because Victoria just said "sorry" to Richard.

Richard was still sitting at the dressing table

No, you don't need to say again the "dressing table", since you've mentioned that Richard was still sitting.

I did wear too much make-up, didn’t I?

Maybe you could've been more specific with this. Was it too much of her lipstick? blush-on? eyeshadow? or what?

My eyes smiled back at his as I pushed my head forward slightly.

Her eyes smiled? How do you do that? Nah, seriously, I believe you meant to say "I smiled back" or something.

~

I won't bother you with anymore with punctuations since I believe I have said everything I need to say on the previous chapter. Maybe it is the only typos, wording and some other things that really make your story somewhat awkward to read. And also, you should be aware of your repetitions. :3

Anyways, speaking of characters, I dislike Richard. Of course I meant to say that as a reader, but as a reviewer, I like how you've showed us his dark personality here. I was too surprised when I read the hotel room scene, making me to like Oliver even more. However, even though it was foolish of Victoria to get affected just because of Richard's comment about her dress, I still like her personality. Although you've showed us her bossy or rude attitude, there's always this "soft" side of her that really makes her character interesting and realistic. It's because first of all, she is a young lady. We don't always expect her to shout, say mean things and fight back to Oliver, but instead you'd also let her cry and get hurts sometimes.

And in addition, I want to read more "Tori-Oliver" scenes. *laughs*

Kicking aside those comments and nitpicks, this is fun to read. Hope this helps and PM me for questions.

Peace out! :smt004

~yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues