z

Young Writers Society

Adrian Machete

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 pm
View Likes
Insomnia says...

Darren pours the water from the bottle to the mug and takes a sip. He swishes it around in his mouth and winces. “Yuck.” He walks to the sink.
The wooden floorboards creak as he crosses the shack. He tips the bottle of water down the drain. “Bloody bugs.”
The door swings open when he pushes it. He rubs at his stubble and scowls at the scraping sound it makes. Outside, it is drizzling. The sound of rain on the roof fades into the background. There is water on the floor. Will this place fill up with water? Maybe I should get out. Go back to town. Maybe he won’t find me. I could get on a flight and leave the country.
He shakes his head and walks back to the table, sitting down. Tears course down his cheeks and he sighs, looking towards a photo of him and a woman. The two of them are hugging. He is different in the photo, staring at her with a sparkle in his eyes, grinning. Now his mouth droops and the bags radiate out from under his eyes.
There is a bed in the corner of the room. He walks to it and sits down. It creaks and sinks under his weight and he grunts when it almost touches the ground. Springs scream as he bends down and pulls a bag from under the bed.
He rummages through it, throwing things aside. A couple of changes of clothes, a razor. He pulls and envelope out and shudders when he looks at it. “Bastard.” He pulls out its contents.
They are photographs of Darren and another woman. The photos are taken from outside a building, taken by someone with a steady hand. That man is used to such assignments.
Darren flicks through the photos. After he puts the last to the back again, he looks at the note, scrawled on cheap paper. Get out of there, or you don’t wake up tomorrow. No man deserves what you did to him, even if he is screwing your wife. AM.
Darren throws the note and photographs across the abandoned cabin. He takes the phone from his bag and looks at the screen for a second before nodding. After dialling, he puts it to his ear.
He waits, tapping his foot, until an answering machine starts. At the beep, he says, “Diana, it’s me, Darren. I’m sorry. I had no choice in this. He made me. I would never leave you if I didn’t have to. You know that, don’t you?”
“It was a guy, initials A.M. I guess someone told them to run me out. Maybe they paid for it. I don’t know who it could have been. Do you, Diana? I need to know if someone’s after me. If I can come back, when they’re gone. If it was – Diana. Oh God, no. What I did was wrong, but I was angry. You couldn’t do this, could you?”
He pulls the phone away and hangs it up without finishing his sentence. It goes back into his bag, along with almost everything else. He puts the jacket on and something goes into the pocket.
Water is beginning to come through the door. Darren walks to and out of it, not looking back. He doesn’t get his things.
The rain coats his skin. His clothes stick to him but he ignores them. His face holds no expression and his walk is neutral, arms held by his side. It does not take long to get to where he is going, because he doesn’t know where that is.
The trees don’t allow any light to come into the forest. When he had stayed in the cabin as a boy, the trees were not grown. Patches of light still shone between the branches. In the intervening decades, they had shot up.
There is a clearing. It is more than thirty minutes’ walk from the cabin, which is itself a two hour drive from anything, and from there twenty minutes until a settlement. There is reception there.
He stands in the centre of the clearing, the rain soaking him. He puts his tongue out, remembering what he used to do as a boy.
There is nothing he can do to delay time. He takes the something out of his pocket. The bullet bites his brain and he is dead within a second. He falls to his knees; the blood splatters across the trees. His knees give way and he is eating the soil.

Hey, guys. This is my first try at something like this. It's the first of five, which'll all have different perspectives and ways of telling the story. I haven't posted anything here for a while, but Kylan's competition kind of kicked me into starting.
Last edited by Insomnia on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:14 am
bubblewrapped says...

Hey Mat,

Here’s your review, as requested :)

Darren brings the mug to his lips and takes a sip. He swishes it around in his mouth and winces. “Yuck,” he says, and walks to the sink.

Mm. As a beginning, this doesn’t really have much of a hook. Perhaps you could play with the first sentence a bit, or add something to give it a bit of pull.

The wooden floorboards creak as he crosses the shack and tips the bottle of water he had poured from down the drain. “Bloody bugs.”

This is kind of awkward. I think it’s something about the way it’s structured – “the bottle of water he had poured from”? Can this be said more clearly? You don’t need to rush, so perhaps break it down so that the reader isn’t left blinking.

He strides to the door and pushes it. It swings open. He rubs at his stubble and scowls at the scraping sound it makes. Outside, it is drizzling. The sound fades into the background. There are drops of water on the ground. Will this place fill up with water? Maybe I should get out of here. Go back to town. Maybe he won’t find me. I could get on a flight and leave the country.

Those first two sentences can be combined, to make it less abrupt. I’m not sure why you’re telling us about the sound fading into the background – what sound, exactly? Is this relevant? Would “floor” be a better word than “ground”?

He shakes his head and walks back to the table, sitting down. Tears course down his cheeks and he sighs, looking towards a photo of him and a woman. The two of them are hugging. He is different in the photo, staring at her with a sparkle in his eyes, grinning. Now his mouth droops and the bags radiate out from under his eyes.

I would like to feel sorry for him here, but I don’t. I’m not sure why – perhaps it’s the present tense, making things seem remote, or maybe it’s just a kind of rough transition. Perhaps you could work on making this seem smoother.

An envelope emerges and he pulls out its contents.

I’m having visions of an envelope pulling itself out of the bag XD Try for another word here.

They are photographs of Darren and a woman. This woman is not the same as the one in his own photograph. The photos are taken from outside a building, taken by someone with a steady hand. He is used to such assignments.

You could easily compress this by saying “and a second/another woman.” The assignments part feels like a non sequitur. Can you link these up more clearly?

Darren flicks through the photos. After he puts the last to the back again, he looks at the note, scrawled on cheap paper. Get out of there, or you don’t wake up tomorrow. No man deserves what you did to him, even if he is screwing your wife. AM.
Darren throws the note and photographs across the abandoned cabin. He pulls the cell phone from his bag and looks at the screen for a second before nodding. After dialling a number, he puts it to his ear.

I don’t think you need to specify it’s a number – just say he dialed.

Time passes. He taps his foot up and down. An answering machine message starts and he sighs. At the beep, he says, “Diana, it’s me, Darren. I’m sorry. I had no choice in any of this. He made me. I would never leave you if I didn’t have to. You know that, don’t you? If I could just-”

I’d suggest compressing the first few sentences to make it smoother; “He waits, tapping his foot, until an answering machine starts and he sighs again.”

Yeah, he’s sighing kind of a lot XD

The rain coats his skin. His clothes stick to his skin but he ignores them.

Repetition of skin.

His face holds no expression and his pace is neutral, arms held by his side. It does not take long to get to where he is going, because he doesn’t know where that is.

A neutral pace? Mm. Not sure if that works.

The trees do not allow any light to come into the forest now. When he stayed in the cabin as a boy, the trees had not grown. Patches of light still shone between the branches. In the intervening decades, though, they’ve shot up.

Watch your tenses here. “When he had stayed in the cabin as a boy, the trees were not fully grown; patches of light still shone between the branches. In the intervening decades, though, they had shot up.”

There is a clearing. It is more than thirty minutes’ walk from the cabin, which is itself a two hour drive from the nearest farm house, and from there twenty minutes until a settlement. The reception is weak, but it is there. The people are not.
He stands in the centre of the clearing, the rain soaking him. He puts his tongue out, remembering what he used to do as a boy.
There is nothing he can do to delay time. He takes the something out of his pocket. The bullet bites his brain and he is dead within a second. He falls to his knees; the blood splatters across the nearest trees. His knees give way and he is eating the wet soil. He is dead.

Love that ending. You don't need to say he's dead twice though ;)

Overall, I felt this was a bit stiff – I think it’s the present tense, it always bothers me. You need to work on smoothing it out, getting rid of some of the excess verbiage/repetition and so on - it feels kind of detached. Unless that was what you were going for, anyway XD But it might help if you vary the sentence structure a little, and perhaps a bit more description. Otherwise, I’m looking forward to reading the other parts – I want to know what’s happening XD

Cheers,
~bubbles
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:10 pm
Evi says...

Hey Mat! ^^ Here as requested. So sorry that your story has been neglected. :wink:

:arrow: One of the first things I noticed is the choppiness of your sentence structure. I do understand that this has to be stripped down only to the bare minimum (fewer adjectives and no adverbs) but that doesn't mean that all of your sentences have to be short and choppy, does it? It's hard for the readers to establish a flow as they're reading this when every sentence is so short, so even in length. For example, the opening:

Darren brings the mug to his lips and takes a sip. He swishes it around in his mouth and winces. “Yuck,” he says, and walks to the sink.

Darren brings the mug to his lips and takes a sip, swishing it around in his mouth for a moment. He winces. "Yuck," he says, and walks to the sink.

There, you have a longer first sentence, a two-word second sentence, and the sentence with your dialogue is somewhere in the middle. I think variation would do you good.

:arrow: Adjectives

A piece of paper falls to the ground, two words written on it.

It is electric.

Water is beginning to come through the open door.

a two hour drive from the nearest farm house, and from there twenty minutes until a settlement. The reception is weak.

the blood splatters across the nearest trees. His knees give way and he is eating the wet soil. He is dead.

Bold = adjective.

I'm not sure if the contest is already closed, but you might want to edit before judging begins/continues. :? You've gone over your adjective limit.

:arrow: Overall

First of all, I just looked at Bubbles's critique. Everything she pointed out/nitpicked is dead on, so heed her sage advice and edit the things she pointed out. :wink:

I also agree that the present-tense makes this somewhat stiff and remote. I can't really empathize with Darren because of this, and in the end I'm not feeling any different than I was when I began the story. I should be feeling sad, angry, sympathetic; I'm not. Maybe a little empty, a little confused. But I was never able to connect with this character, so his death meant nothing to me.

And you really, really want your main character's death to mean something. So.

I'd suggest, first of all, explaining the situation a bit more. So far we know that this mysterious Adrian Machete does not get along well with Darren; hence the "bastard". :wink: Adrian writes Darren a note telling him that whatever Darren did to another man (this man not being Darren or Adrian, correct?) was uncalled for, even if this other man was cheating with Darren's wife. Also, we know that there are two women involved? The woman with the sparkle in her eyes in the first picture, and then the one in the second in front of the building. At least, I assume they're actually, physically different women, because of this:

This woman is not the same as the one in his own photograph.

I took this literally, but I think it could also be interpreted to mean that the woman had changed so much between photos that she was a different person altogether. You might want to clarify.

I assume that the first picture's woman is Diana, and Darren let her because another man (not Adrian, because he gave the warning in the first place, saying 'him' not 'I') was cheating with her.

:?

Hopefully the next parts will give some answers, ya? 8)

Overall I liked it; I just think it needs some clarifying and variation with the sentence structure. I'll review the next additions also, if you like. Just drop by again in my thread.

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 am
Insomnia says...

Thanks, guys. :) I've done most of the things you two suggested. I'll consider change the tense, but I'm not to sure on that. I got rid of the adjectives and tried to make Machete's role seem more obvious. So, that may or may not be better. xD

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon