z

Young Writers Society

Disaster: Prologue

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:49 am
Eliza:) says...

This is the prologue of a story I'm writing.

“I can’t, Java; it wouldn’t be right,” Mike sighed. When Java arrived, his features had turned weak and brittle as he gradually grew tired her.

“Oh, stop being such a wimp. [i]I
should be the one worried. If Mecka spots us, she’ll eat me not you,” Java whined as only a creature considered a slow animal could. Of course only her land cousins were slow. How could they be fast with the enormous weight of their houses?

As soon as Mike thought of the land turtles, Java immediately screeched, “Don’t be ridiculous! My cousins are so slow because they’re afraid if they move any faster, people will see how ugly green is on brown. Blue looks much better on my green! I mean, the ground doesn't even look smooth! The ocean matches my smoothness so well!”

Startled by the sudden outbreak, Mike once again wished for the constant company of the lovely Mecka instead of the horror right beside him. Ever since Java had moved to the peaceful clan of Kita from bloodthirsty and savage Tinane, every dream had been crushed. She had said when she arrived that she hated the violence in her old tribe, but Mike could see no difference between her and the rest of her people.

If eyes could glow red, Java’s would have been. Her flippers were flapping around wildly. A huge frown covered her face. There was no way to not realize she was mad -- extremely mad.

“If you’re so high and mighty,” she snared, “then I guess you wouldn’t mind me telling Mecka about your silly daydream. You know, the one where Mecka and you marry and take care of your babies. If I remember right, they were either huge starfish looking like yourself or tiny copies of Mecka as sharks.”

“When did you hear that?” he gasped. I never thought about it anywhere near you.”

Laughing, Java spoke again. “Seriously Mike, you can be so stupid sometimes. People like you can never control their brain.”

Desperate to escape the humiliation, Mike chose his only option. “Java, I’m so sorry. What can I do to make up for my horrible imagination? Please don’t destroy my reputation.”

She pondered for a moment. “Well, you could actually go with me and put the Nine-Jundred in front of Mecka’s house. I'd do that instead of letting me tell Mecka your little fantasy. ”

Mike froze. How could he choose between the two? Both of them would end up with the same result.

“If you choose to go with me,” Java said, breaking his thoughts, “Mecka wouldn't find it was you.” Smiling a poisonous smile, Mike could almost see her beck stretch.

It could be worse, he miserably thought.

“Good. Meet me at the caves at nightfall.”

“Stupid mind reader,” Mike muttered as he floated away.

“I heard that!” Java shouted joyfully.

Finally, alone, Mike rushed over to Mecka’s house at the bottom of Kita. As it gradually grew darker, a faint glow could be seen in the entrance. Farther down, he greeted Snik, Mecka’s hired guard.

“Hello Snik. Were there any problems?”

“I’ve been doing great. Today only a stupid fish was here. His parents never taught it that a light all by itself is dangerous.,” he replied grumpily.

"Oh, good, the crocodiles from Eugane never came back?

"Nope." A long pause followed his reply.

“So… is Mecka busy?”

“Ask her yourself. Go right in.”

After Mike entered and turned the corner, the light from the humpback anglerfish was reduced to nothing. Trying not to trip, he didn’t notice the shadow right behind him.

“Boo!” a voice screamed. A body landed on Mike and rolled down the hall.

Bewildered, all Mike could do was close his eyes and wait for the thing to crawl off of him.

He began to hear laughter. “I can’t believe how scared you looked, Mike!” It was Mecka.

“No fair,” he complained, “There wasn’t any chance to see you!”
“Whatever; I was behind you the whole time.”

“But…”

“Don’t worry Mike. Maybe you’ll spot me next time you visit.”

As she finished speaking, the ground began to shake. Small rocks fell onto the floor and on the heads of Mike and Mecka.

Ocean currents shook every sea creature, forcing them into corals to avoid being swept away from their homes.

Huge rocks began to cave in all the caves.

Outside, Snik swam into the sea without any hope that his employer was still alive.

Inside the cave, Mike knew he wouldn’t survive. As another rock slammed into him, he fainted.

As Mike woke up, no rocks stood in the way. Mecka smiled as she saw him wake up.

“Mike,” Mecka whispered, “I love you.”

Knowing subconsciously it was a dream, he whispered, “I love you.”

As soon as the sea was calm again and the marine life could continue life again, Java left for the border of Tinane, hoping to never return.
Last edited by Eliza:) on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hello, Eliza! I'm Music. :)

Grammar:

“I can’t, Java; it wouldn’t be right,” Mike sighed... First they had become dry as if he was stranded on land, then they [s]tear[/s]tore away from his body from the gentle movement of the water.
I don't get this last part. Do you mean "like the gentle movement of water"? It just doesn't work.

If Mecka spots us, she’ll eat me, not you,” Java whined as only a creature that is always considered a “slow animal[s].”[/s]" could. Of course, only her land cousins were slow.

As soon as she thought of the land turtles, Java immediately screeched.
Or is she a gender changing creature? Mmm? :wink:

Startled by the sudden outbreak, Mike once again wished for the constant company of the lovely Mecka instead of the horror right beside him. Ever since Java had moved to the peaceful clan of Kita form bloodthirsty and savage Tinane, every dream had been crashed.

If eyes could glow red, Java’s would had been. Her flippers were flapping around wildly. A long frown covered her face. There was no way to not realize she was mad – extremely mad.

“If you’re so high and might,” she snared, “then I guess you wouldn’t mind me telling Mecka about your silly daydream. You know, the one where Mecka and you marry and take care of your babies. If I remember right, they were either huge starfish or tiny sharks.”

“When did you hear that?” he gasped. I never thought about it anywhere near you.”

Laughing, Java spoke again. “Seriously Mike, you can be so stupid sometimes. People like you can never control their brain.”

Desperate to escape the humility, Mike chooses his only option. “Java, I’m so sorry. What can I do to make up for my horrible imagination? Please don’t destroy my reputation.”

Pondering for a moment, Java finally responded, “Well, you could actually go with me and put the Nine-Jundred in front of Mecka’s house.”

Mike froze. How could he choose between the two? Both of them would end up with the same result.

“If you choose going with me,” Java said, breaking his thoughts, “at least there would be a chance that Macka wouldn’t know it was you.” Smiling a poisonous smile, Mike could almost see her face stretch.

“Good. Meet me at the caves at nightfall.”

“Stupid mind reader,” Mike muttered as he walked away.

Finally, alone, Mike rushed over to Mecka’s house at the bottom of Kita. As it gradually grew darker, a faint glow could be seen in the entrance. Farther down, he greeted Snik, Mecka’s hired guard.

“I’ve been doing great. Only a stupid fish whose parents never taught it that a light all by itself is dangerous has been here,” he replied grumpily.

“So… is Mecka busy?”

“Ask her yourself. Go right in.”

After Mike entered and turned the corner, the light from the fish was reduced to nothing. Trying not to trip, he didn’t notice the shadow right behind him.

“Boo!” a voice screamed as a body landed on mike and rolled down the hall.

Bewildered, all Mike could do was close his eyes and wait for the thing to crawl off of him.

He began to hear laughter. “I can’t believe how scared you looked, Mike!” It was Mecka.

“No fair,” he complained, “There wasn’t any chance to see you!”
“Whatever; I was behind you the whole time.”

“But…”

“Don’t worry Mike. Maybe you’ll spot me next time you visit.”

As she finished speaking, the ground began to shake. Small rocks fall onto the floor and the heads of Mike and Mecka.

Right outside, Snik swam off into the sea, without any hope that his employer was still alive.

Ocean currents shook every sea creature, forcing them into corals to avoid being swept away from their homes.

Inside the cave, Mike knew he wouldn’t survive.

Smiling, Mike whispered again, “I love you.”

As soon as the sea was calm again and the marine life could continue life again, Java left for the border of Tinane, hoping to never return.[/quote]
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

152 Reviews

Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:55 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Grammar:

“I can’t, Java; it wouldn’t be right,” Mike sighed... First they had become dry as if he was stranded on land, then they [s]tear[/s]tore away from his body from the gentle movement of the water.
I don't get this last part. Do you mean "like the gentle movement of water"? It just doesn't work.

If Mecka spots us, she’ll eat me, not you,” Java whined as only a creature that is always considered a “slow animal[s].”[/s]" could. Of course, only her land cousins were slow.

Ever since Java had moved to the peaceful clan of Kita form bloodthirsty and savage Tinane, every dream had been [s]crashed[/s]crushed.
I believe you meant crushed, darling. :)

If eyes could glow red, Java’s would [s]had[/s]have been.

“If you’re so high and mighty,” she snared

“When did you hear that?” he gasped. "I never thought about it anywhere near you.”

Laughing, Java spoke again. “Seriously, Mike, you can be so stupid sometimes.

Tense change! You went from past to present! Ahh!
Desperate to escape the humility, Mike [s]chooses[/s]chose his only option.

Second time in a row you've tagged Java's dialogue with "ing" and a comma. Try not to do that too often.
Pondering for a moment, Java finally responded

“If you choose going with me,” Java said, breaking his thoughts, “at least there would be a chance that [s]Macka[/s]Mecka wouldn’t know it was you.”

“Boo!” a voice screamed as a body landed on [s]m[/s]Mike and rolled down the hall.

“Don’t worry, Mike. Maybe you’ll spot me next time you visit.”

Small rocks [s]fall[/s]fell onto the floor and the heads of Mike and Mecka.

Language Usage [and whatnot]: This piece did fairly well in this department. It tended to be a bit repetitive of phrases and use at least one phrase that made no sense. Make sure you know if what you write will make sense or not to the reader. It's all in how you present it.
:arrow: Tenses: You had a problem here. Every couple lines, you'd make the mistake of switching a verb to the present tense. Your story was written mainly in the past tense, so let's make it all past tense, okay?
:arrow: Punctuation: You had a bit of an issue here as well. Your main mess-up was with your interrupter commas. Click here for more information and help on that. :)

Imagery and Emotion: This was the most lacking part of your story.
:arrow: Where was the emotion? I didn't feel anything. Shouldn't Mike have been more worried for their lives at the time of the explosion? I know this is written in third person, but you could demonstrate it in the dialogue, darling!
:arrow: Where was the imagery? I barely knew what I was seeing! I couldn't even tell what creatures they were or what they looked like! And water? I didn't expect that. You need to explain these things more. Doing this will also help your Language Usage for more description and such.

Characters: I didn't know much about anyone. You did say that you didn't describe Mike and Mecka as much as Java, but I got to know Mike the most. Java seemed more complicated and I didn't even begin to break through her surface before she exited! Work on those descriptions, my darling!

Plot: I'll be glad when you explain what in the world a Nine-Jundred is! Haha. It was a prologue, so there's really not much commentary on the plot at the moment!

Overall, even if I might have seemed harsh (I probably just think I did, but I didn't. Hehe.), I really enjoyed the story. With hard work and editing, it could really turn into something, darling!

Love,
Music :)

152 Reviews

Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:55 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Grammar:

Ever since Java had moved to the peaceful clan of Kita form bloodthirsty and savage Tinane, every dream had been [s]crashed[/s]crushed.
I believe you meant crushed, darling. :)

If eyes could glow red, Java’s would [s]had[/s]have been.

“If you’re so high and mighty,” she snared

“When did you hear that?” he gasped. "I never thought about it anywhere near you.”

Laughing, Java spoke again. “Seriously, Mike, you can be so stupid sometimes.

Tense change! You went from past to present! Ahh!
Desperate to escape the humility, Mike [s]chooses[/s]chose his only option.

Second time in a row you've tagged Java's dialogue with "ing" and a comma. Try not to do that too often.
Pondering for a moment, Java finally responded

“If you choose going with me,” Java said, breaking his thoughts, “at least there would be a chance that [s]Macka[/s]Mecka wouldn’t know it was you.”

“Boo!” a voice screamed as a body landed on [s]m[/s]Mike and rolled down the hall.

“Don’t worry, Mike. Maybe you’ll spot me next time you visit.”

Small rocks [s]fall[/s]fell onto the floor and the heads of Mike and Mecka.

Language Usage [and whatnot]: This piece did fairly well in this department. It tended to be a bit repetitive of phrases and use at least one phrase that made no sense. Make sure you know if what you write will make sense or not to the reader. It's all in how you present it.
:arrow: Tenses: You had a problem here. Every couple lines, you'd make the mistake of switching a verb to the present tense. Your story was written mainly in the past tense, so let's make it all past tense, okay?
:arrow: Punctuation: You had a bit of an issue here as well. Your main mess-up was with your interrupter commas. Click here for more information and help on that. :)

Imagery and Emotion: This was the most lacking part of your story.
:arrow: Where was the emotion? I didn't feel anything. Shouldn't Mike have been more worried for their lives at the time of the explosion? I know this is written in third person, but you could demonstrate it in the dialogue, darling!
:arrow: Where was the imagery? I barely knew what I was seeing! I couldn't even tell what creatures they were or what they looked like! And water? I didn't expect that. You need to explain these things more. Doing this will also help your Language Usage for more description and such.

Characters: I didn't know much about anyone. You did say that you didn't describe Mike and Mecka as much as Java, but I got to know Mike the most. Java seemed more complicated and I didn't even begin to break through her surface before she exited! Work on those descriptions, my darling!

Plot: I'll be glad when you explain what in the world a Nine-Jundred is! Haha. It was a prologue, so there's really not much commentary on the plot at the moment!

Overall, even if I might have seemed harsh (I probably just think I did, but I didn't. Hehe.), I really enjoyed the story. With hard work and editing, it could really turn into something, darling!

Love,
Music :)

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 am
aspiringyoungwriter says...

Sorry, but i don't really get what's going on. You didn't do a very good job at describing the people(no offense) but i mean, What are these people?
Are they even people at all?
From what i understand, Java, is apparently a turtle, so how could she frown?
Why does Java hope to never return?
What do these people look like?
What is Mike and why did his arms get torn off?
Why are Mike's arms growing back?
Who is Mecka? What does she look like?
Your readers need to be able to imagine what everything in the book is, I couldn't.
All you need to do is describe more, I have trouble with that too.
Keep working at it!
“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.” -E.M. Forster

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 am
Banango Cheesecake says...

This is my opinion. I hope it helps.

“I can’t Java;

I think it should be "I can't, Java; It would be less confusing that way.

Since Java had arrived, his arms had slowly fallen off. First they had become dry as if he was stranded on land, then they tore away from his body from the gentle movement of the water. Now all that was left was little studs quickly growing back.

Try switching to active voice. Passive voice should be avoided. For example, the first line could be:
When Java arrived, his arms began to fall off slowly. Or something like that.

Java whined as only a creature that is always considered a “slow animal" could.

The word "that" slows down the sentence and isn't really needed. Java whined as only a creature considered a "slow animal" could.

Ever since Java had moved to the peaceful clan of Kita form bloodthirsty and savage Tinane, every dream had been crushed.

I don't understand the sentence.

A long frown covered her face.

Long frown? Try another adjective.

Desperate to escape the humility, Mike chose his only option.

It should be humiliation, not humility.

“If you choose going with me,” Java said, breaking his thoughts

"If you choose to go with me," Java said, breaking his thoughts

“at least there would be a chance that Mecka wouldn’t know it was you.”

Clunky...awkward. Try revising.

Only a stupid fish whose parents never taught it that a light all by itself is dangerous has been here,” he replied grumpily.

Clunky. Try breaking it down into two sentences.

Small rocks fell onto the floor and the heads of Mike and Mecka.

...and on the heads of Mike and Mecka.

Right outside, Snik swam off into the sea, without any hope that his employer was still alive.

Outside, Snik swam into the sea without any hope that his employer was still alive.
I don't think my revision for this one is good, but you should take out off, and the comma after sea. That much I'm sure of.

Smiling, Mike whispered again, “I love you.”
I don't think again should be in that sentence.

It's all just my opinion. I could be wrong, and you're the author after all. ^^

It's a cute concept. It just doesn't make me feel anything.
Why do I keep having this scary nightmare...The one where I went mad and killed you with my own hands.

-Loyal AS fan-

94 Reviews

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:08 am

Thanks for your critiques everyone. I'll add more description next time.
-Ernest Hemingway

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya! Here as requested!

Since you put no disclaimer that this is a children's story, I shall critique this like it's a Young Adult fantasy. ^_^

“I can’t, Java; it wouldn’t be right,” Mike sighed. When Java arrived, his five arms began to slowly fall off. First they had become dry as if he was stranded on land, then they tore away from his body from the gentle movement of the water. Now all that was left was little studs quickly growing back.

~ I'm trying to remember if you ever return to that point of dialogue. Hmm, I think it's part of this whole prologue, but you spend so much time describing the people, well, ocean animals, and not really the situation that I had a hard time following. ;)

~ The "five arm" bit in this threw me. A good assumption to make is that readers assume your MC is human. Maybe introduce the whole starfish thing a bit slower?

~ Why would his arms fall off when Java came?

Java whined as only a creature considered a “slow animal" could.

It's not really a good idea to put quotes in your prose. ;) Quotes show up around dialogue or in dialogue only. Use italics to show emphasis, or just leave the quotes out.

How could they be fast with the enormous weight of their houses?

Nice description here. Shows how this isn't exactly a human talking. ^_^

people will see how ugly green is on brown. Blue looks much better on my green!”

I'm curious as to what you mean with this line. I find it a bit confusing. I think "brown" means land, and "blue" means the ocean, but it's not that clear. ;)

Ever since Java had moved to the peaceful clan of Kita from bloodthirsty and savage Tinane, every dream had been crushed.

Why did she move?

A huge frown covered her face.

Hmm, how can turtles frown? I would double-check that information. ^_^

There was no way to not realize she was mad – extremely mad.

I find double-negatives are hard to read. Why not try: "It was easy to tell she was mad-- extremely mad."?

She pondered for a moment. “Well, you could actually go with me and put the Nine-Jundred in front of Mecka’s house.”

Two what? ^_^ I only see Java giving him one option.

Smiling a poisonous smile, Mike could almost see her face stretch.

Hmm, can turtles even smile with beaks?

Thoughts should be in italics. ^_^

Mike muttered as he walked away.

How can a starfish walk, especially if he doesn't have any arms/legs? ;)

Interesting bit of characterization here. It shows how much Java likes her mind-speaking abilities. ^_^

Finally, alone, Mike rushed over to Mecka’s house at the bottom of Kita.

~ How can a starfish rush?

~ What/where is Kita?

Farther down, he greeted Snik, Mecka’s hired guard.

What kind of fish is Snik, if he can glow?

“I’ve been doing great. Today only a stupid fish was here. His parents never taught it that a light all by itself is dangerous.,” he replied grumpily.

I'm rather confused by this bit of dialogue. It makes it seem like Snik often encounters problems, but you never really expand on that. What are the normal problems?

You can expand on this later on, but, with the confusion we have right now, it would be best if you gave us more of a hint. ^_^

“Boo!” a voice screamed as a body landed on Mike and rolled down the hall.

~ I find this tag is a little long. Try deleting the "as" and replacing it with a period. :)

~ Do sharks have bodies?

Do starfish have eyes?

Hmm, I'm going to stop here and make some overall comments on your characters later on in the review. :)

He swum away just because of small rocks? Or did he know a full cave-in would occur?

In the whole thing about the cave, you don't actually mention that there was a cave in. ;)

Inside the cave, Mike knew he wouldn’t survive.

Smiling, Mike whispered, “I love you.”

Hmm, I don't know how much actual love I see in this prologue. Deep friendship and daydreams, sure, but nothing that really says "love" to me.

~~

Realism: I would delve into animal encyclopedias to get some more information on the animals you are talking about. Animal-based stories, to be very successful, need their animals to have a good blend of animal and human traits. Right now, I find your characters a bit too "human" to properly feel like animals. The hints that they're animal become a bit annoying, then, because we find the characters so human.

Confusion: You have a lot of elements here, some being description, some being plot, and you switch between them rather suddenly. It makes us lose grip on both.

I would try reminding readers of what the plot-thread is periodically, especially after a long chunk of dialogue. It would make this more readable. ^_^

Overall: I would add more explanation in here, along with the other points I mentioned. This prologue is rather confusing, as in introduces a lot of elements at once. Here is an article on beginnings you might want to check out. ^_^

Questions? PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

94 Reviews

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks, Rosey Unicorn. All the advice was great. The animals will hopefully be less human like in the next draft. I never noticed how the second daydream blended with the rest of reality, so it should be easier to tell now. Thanks.
-Ernest Hemingway

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg