z

Young Writers Society

God Still Loves You (2)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 21, 2008 3:21 am
Emerson says...

010. Dirty, Sloppy Hearts
That afternoon, we walked together to Nina’s house.
As I walked up the stairs, the wood creaked, whispering to me about how long it had been nailed together, and how it wasn’t sure it could hold me up any longer. The doormat read: As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord - Joshua 24:15.
“This place is really old looking,” I whispered. The burnt red paint on the door was pealing like a flakey scab.
“My father built it. Isn’t it pretty?” She turned her key in the lock and the door popped open.
“Yes,” I lied. It smelled like a hospital, but without death. If anything, it smelled like the comfort a hospital gives when you’ve cut yourself open. You’re comforted by the fact that they can put all your guts back inside, and that everything will be better when you leave.
Her living room was in the front of the house and Nina dropped all of her things on the couch. I did, too. “I have church on Wednesdays and Sundays,” she said, walking to the kitchen, “and youth group on Tuesday and Thursday. But you can come over all the other days.” While walking to the kitchen, I noticed how white the carpet was. It was shocking white, nearly blinding. So pure. I thought nothing else could be as white, until I saw the kitchen floor.
Nina’s house made my trailer look worse than normal.
She sat down at the table, and I sat across from her. It, too, was wood. I wondered if her father had carved it with his bare hands. “What don’t you get about math?” I asked. I was trying not to stare at her, not to look her in the eyes for too long.
“Oh I don’t get any of it. All those things with the numbers and the letters.” Nina got up suddenly and left the room. She came back with her math book. She started to flip through it. “I really don’t get any numbers. They’re weirder than atheists.”
“…What?”
“My father says atheists are weird, but I think numbers are weirder.”
I stared at my feet. I’ve always believed that if a god existed, he would have better monitored what crap got born into the world. So far, he’s failed.
“What are you learning in class?” I whispered to my lap.
“We’re doin’ this stuff about lines.” She found the section in her book and pushed it at me.
I stared at it for a few minutes. Equation of a line. “What don’t you understand?”
“I don’t get any of it, Miss Joephine.”
“Josie.”
“Huh?”
“You can just call me Josie.”
Nina pulled the book away from me and stared at it. She pointed to something and said, “This stuff about slope, and the equation, and all. Maybe you can explain that first, Josie?”
When she said my name, it sounded more beautiful than I knew it really was. I wanted to trap her lips in my fingers, forever, keep them for myself, just to hear her say my name over and over and…
“Basically, you just have two points,” I started to explain, “and they make a line. And then you can use those numbers, from the points, to find the equation and the slope.”
Nina nodded.
“And the slope can tell you if the line is going up or down or if it is parallel or perpendicular to another line.”
Nina nodded again. Her lips were parted, ready to ask a question.
“But where are these lines? I mean, in the world. You know? Do these lines exist somewhere? Or are they just imaginary lines? Because that is real weird if they don’t exist.”
I spent thirty minutes trying to explain the concept of lines.
Just about the time I was in the middle of explaining the usefulness of math and how it pertained to our everyday lives—a fact I tried to ignore—Nina interrupted me.
“Goodness, Josie, this is a lot of stuff. But you should probably be going.” She closed her book, without question.
“We’re… done?”
“Yeah, you can leave now. I’m real sorry I didn’t get any of that. I bet you think I ask real silly questions, dontcha?”
I felt a giggle tickle my throat, but I suffocated it with a deep breath. “Math is just confusing. I can keep coming over until you understand it.”
Nina smiled. My toes tingled. “I’d let you stay longer, but I’d be real borin’. I gotta clean the kitchen floor.”
I stared down at it. “I think the floor would disappear if you cleaned it anymore.”
“Oh, shucks.” She giggled. “If I didn’t warsh the floor every Monday it wouldn’t look like that, trust me.”
I smiled at her. I hoped my smile would make the moment last longer. Maybe I wouldn’t have to leave if I smiled long enough.
She stood and pushed her chair in.
“I don’t have to go home right away,” I mumbled. shut up shut up shut up shut up… “Maybe I can stay and help you clean the floor?”
Nina laughed, covering her lips with her fingers, like a girl would do in an old movie. I could spot her teeth between the gaps. “Now why on God’s beautiful earth would you want to help me warsh a floor?”
I bit my lip.
shut up shut up shut up shut up
“Why wouldn’t I want to?”
We were on our knees, scrubbing the floor with rags, a bottle of bleach between us. Like the smiley face, the bottle of bleach was my boundary now. My hands couldn’t pass, and I made sure to grab the bottle only after she had.
“So what does your dad do?” I asked.
She poured bleach on the floor and scrubbed. “He builds things with a construction company. You know that playground at the elementary school? My father built that. Little John is mighty proud to play on a jungle gym his father made.”
I poured bleach on the floor and scrubbed. “Who?”
“My brother. The young ones stay at school ‘til Father can pick ‘em up.”
When I pushed the rags across the floor, the bleach squeezed out and crawled up my fingers. I’ve bit my nails since I was ten, and it burned. I felt like someone was shoving a knife under my nails.
“What about your mom?”
“Oh, she went away. Father said the devil took her.”
I wasn’t sure whether to ask. “What did she do?” I thought maybe she tried to kill herself, or someone else. The real answer was worse.
“She wanted to get a real job like all the other women, but father says a woman’s place isn’t in business. So Mamma left and now I think she’s a devil worshiper down in Arkansas.”
I didn’t say anything. Nina moved forward and poured more bleach.
“Do you think your dad will get married again?”
Nina gasped. “My father is still married to my momma! He would never marry another woman just because she went to the devil.”
Only the rags made noise as they slopped around and scraped up the sin.
Then, in a small voice: “I don’t think he’s lonely or nothin’. He’s got God to make him happy.”
“That’s…good.”
“What about your parents?” she asked.
I scooted to the corner of the kitchen, near where the cabinets met. I didn’t want to see her face when she heard my answer.
“My dad works in a bar and I’m pretty sure my mom is a hooker, but I can’t be sure. She doesn’t live with us, either.”
Slop.
......Slop.
.................Slop.
My rag was banging into the corner and more bleach squished out and for the first time I was glad I bit my nails. I squeezed the rag as hard as I could. My finger tips burned and I had to bite my lip to keep from whining.
I thought for sure Nina would throw a crucifix at me, kick me out, pray that God cursed me and my soiled family.
“I’m real sorry about that, Josie. You’re a real nice girl, so’s far as I know. I’ll pray that God keeps your Momma safe.”
I stayed in the corner. “Why would you do that?”
“God loves everybody, even if they are sinners. I love everybody, too.” She paused, then, “Just don’t tell my father what your Momma does or he’ll not want you ‘round here no more.”
I grabbed the bottle of bleach behind me, but instead of the plastic handle, my hand was gripped around something soft and warm.
My hand was touching her hand. Her tiny, beautiful fingers were wrapped around the handle and my ugly, sinful fingers were wrapped around hers. I should have let go. I didn’t let go. The moment lasted too long. My thumb unconsciously stroked her knuckle. It was a muscle twitch, an accident, nothing.
The moment lasted too long and when I finally let go and mumbled that I was very sorry, my face was redder than the apple’s that grew on her dad’s tree, redder than her front door.
I leaned my head into the corner of the cabinets and closed my eyes. If I wasn’t certain that Nina would notice, I would have banged my head into the wood until my skull cracked.
“I’m so sorry,” I whispered again.
I listened to the sound of her rag moving back and forth. I imagined what her fingers looked like, boney but beautiful, with the rag wrapped around. The bleach could kill everything on Nina’s floor; make it clean enough for Jesus’ own feet.
But even if I drank the whole bottle, I knew my heart would still be dirty.
----

I'm obviously reading too much Faulkner. His style is starting to leak into my first person, though that may not be a bad thing? There are some parts I'm not particularly fond of, but maybe I'm overcritical. Your comments would be ever-so amazing.
Last edited by Emerson on Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed May 21, 2008 5:09 am
Icaruss says...

Oh, this was heartbreaking, in that turn-your-eyes-away-from-the-movie kind of way. It's sad and you know it won't have a happy ending, but you can't help but look. You write good, but there's some things I would change. Overall, this was great, though. You handle that tension between the characters masterfully, always keeping in mind the fact that one of them is oblivious to it.

Random Thought #234: I do love myself some lesbians.

OK, so the things you handle well are the way everything is so alien to your narrator. How she looks at everything with complete fascination and curiousness, a mixture of admiration, jelousness (I think?) and disgust. That's all nice and good. And the constant sound of the rag moving up and down to fill up the awkward silences is inspired, though I'm not sure I would've used the SLOB SLOB SLOB format thingy you do. The last couple of paragraphs are just fantastic. Don't change those at all.

But the thing is, you take it to an extreme. I can believe the father is a bigot, because people like that exist. But the kid, the love interest, she just doesn't sound authentic. She keeps reminding us that, hey, she's really religious. It's not just that she tells the narrator that she goes to Church twice a week (that line is actually really funny, good job), but then she brings out atheists out of the blue. And she says: "Why on God's beautiful earth would you want to help me to clean up?" And then you keep throwing these obvious things at us, and we get it, she's really religious. You could get rid of all her religious talk other than the church thing, and the "mother conversation" and have the same impact and tension and tell the same story, and seem less self-concious.

Random Thought #345: No italics for thoughts. The narration is already a collection of thoughts. Just weave the little bursts of thought in.

I hate it when you have a first-person narration that makes little comments between dialogue. I used to do that, thought it was funny, but it just slows down conversation. It doesn't let us read it like something people are really saying. And if you're gonna do it, don't say "I screamed in my mind:" and then the little "shut up shut up shut up." No, just put it there, let it interrupt the flow of the narration. An example:

"I like raping nuns," I said, inexplicably. Don't say that. Everybody stared at me. Shut up. Just shut up. And then, softly: "I like them fat."

Anyways, I feel like I'm critiquing something that's way better than anything I do, so I'll just say that you did a great job, and that most of my troubles with the story are minor. Just keep writing.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Wed May 21, 2008 6:53 am
Squall says...

Hey again Suzanne. I did promise that I would read the 2nd part of this :)

The burnt red paint on the door was pealing like a flakey scab.

Haha. Clever simile.

“My father built it. Isn’t it pretty?” She turned her key in the lock and the door popped open.

Does "popped" really work? I think it's a bit too energetic for a old wooden house, but that's just me.

But even if I drank the whole bottle, I knew my heart would still be dirty.

Love it!

Overall impressions:

Wow, I don't think I have much criticism for this piece. It flowed like grease lightning, yet holding quite a lot of depth and insight. Josie and Nina are developing quite nicely. I love how you thought about the setting, descriptions, actions and dialogue (heck, even my favourite subject: Maths!)and how it would work to characterize your characters. This part was important, as it provides some back-story for the characters and sheds some light to the reader of why they would think/ feel that way about religion.

More importantly, I wanna know why Nina thinks maths is confusing even though she is a tutor of it and why Nina is so obsessed with keeping the floor pure white. In a way, Nina cleaning the floor like that gives me a feeling of suspense, as it is rather unusual for someone to do such a thing and I have a feeling her reasons will be kinda twisted. That's just me.

I can't wait for the next part. I think I need to read more of it before I can come up with a solid point for criticism.

"Gold stars".

Keep going! I love it, especially the innocent and peaceful vibe that this piece gives.

Andy :D
Last edited by Squall on Thu May 22, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 21, 2008 9:50 pm
Emerson says...

Thank you both so much!

Icaruss: Did you read the first part to this story? I don't remember a critique from you... It may not matter, but you might find it interesting. I see what you mean about the over use of God in what Nina does, but I am hesitant to remove it just yet. It's almost supposed to be a joke, how often she brings up God. It may not work in writing, though I found no problem with it. I'll keep an eye on it though, and you as well if you can, and if it does appear to be too annoying in writing, out it will go! I know people, or have met people, who relate everything they say back to God and their religion. To me, Nina is not Nina unless she does this. I won't explain why - that is something the reader should make for themselves, or not at all - but to me there is a reason she is like this. Thank you, so much, for your critique.

Andy: Thank you! Although I have to say, I think you are misreading my dialogue. This may be because of my overall lack of dialogue tags, or the general confusion, but Nina is the one who is confused about maths. Perhaps read over it? If you notice it is a problem in the writing, and not in your reading (er, not meant as an insult. I misread/get confused when I'm reading. A lot.) then let me know and I will try to fix it. I noticed this on the last part, but did not say anything.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Thu May 22, 2008 2:11 am
Squall says...

Man I'm a noob. Got the names mixed up in my critique. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll change it now.

Sorry for the mistake, it's my fault not yours :(
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu May 22, 2008 2:31 am
Kylan says...

I come.

:wink:

Anyway. A brilliant installment. Faulkener or not, your writing style is beautiful. Very down to earth and true to life. I enjoyed the symbolism of the bleached floor and the dialogue and some of your captivating descriptions. I enjoyed every sentence.

However, I found Josie's obvious love-smitten shyness really obnoxious. Her whispering and looking away and not being able to function in front of Nina. Sure, that's accurate to a point, but I think Josie would be a little more concerned with impressing/not seeming like complete idiot in front of this girl. If you're determined to preserve her introvertive, unassertive personality than at least include somewhere in her internal dialogue that she's aware of herself. I dunno. Something about her persona just seems a little false?

the door was pealing like a flakey

Easy mistake. Pealing = peeling

“Oh, shucks.”

You did a lot better with the dialect in this installment, but when I heard this I had the inexorable impression of Goofy pasted across Nina's face. It just made me shiver. I don't mind a few missing Gs and convoluted words like 'warsh', but as I said before, there is a very thin line between tasteful and overboard. At least cut this. Everything - and I mean everything - will be a lot better without it.

Also, I found it...interesting that you chose to make Nina seem so unintelligent and pander to the religious = uneducated stereotype. Maybe that's not what you were intending at all, but it seemed that way...

Anyway. Very nice job. As always, I'm looking forward to more.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat May 31, 2008 7:51 am
deleted2 says...

Hey :D

This was a fun read !! You have a thing for interestings ways of describing situations, people, objects, anything really. It seems really real, like you're making the story come to life when we read it.

Anyway, here's the review !

:wink:

XxxDo
Attachments
Edited 2 by XxxDo for Suzanne.doc
:D
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:06 pm
Azila says...

Hi Suzanne! I have returned for second helpings. :D

I have to agree with Andy -- this is a brilliant line. One complaint, though: My spell-check seems to think that it's spelled "flaky." Having the 'e' before the 'y' doesn't look right to me, anyway. I don't know... maybe it's right either way?

“I have church on Wednesdays and Sundays,” she said, walking to the kitchen, “and youth group on Tuesday and Thursday. But you can come over all the other days.”
Oh, this line is so hilarious. ^_^ But it does seem a little out-of-place. Wouldn't she talk about the next meeting at the END of this one? It seems strange to just say that right off the bat and out of the blue.

I’ve always believed that if a god existed, he would have better monitored what crap got born into the world. So far, he’s failed.
I like this, but I think the second sentence is completely unnecessary. In fact, I think it overdoes the effect. It kind of makes it seem like Josie thinks Nina would be counted into the "crap born into the world." That's what it made me think, anyway.

I stared at it for a few minutes.
A few minutes?! This is one of my pet-peeves. A lot of people say "a few minutes." But if you actually were in that situation, even one minute would feel like an awkwardly long time. Think about it, if you were in Josie's place, wouldn't you feel really awkward staring at a book for a few minutes? I think sometimes people don't realize how long a minute actually is. Maybe she just stares at the book for a minute? Or a few moments?

“But where are these lines? I mean, in the world. You know? Do these lines exist somewhere? Or are they just imaginary lines? Because that is real weird if they don’t exist.”
Haha! I love this part. ^^

Slop.
......Slop.
.................Slop.
Ooh! Clever there, with the white periods. ^_^ I was wondering how you did that. I really like it, having the words on the diagonal... but I think they should be equal distance apart. It kind of bothers me that they aren't.

My rag was banging into the corner and more bleach squished out and for the first time I was glad I bit my nails.
I don't like all the "and"s here. I think you should make the second one a dash. Also, I think there should be a comma after "time."

The moment lasted too long and when I finally let go and mumbled that I was very sorry, my face was redder than the apple’s that grew on her dad’s tree, redder than her front door.
How does she know that her face is red? As far as I know, there aren't any mirrors around. Maybe you should say "...my face FELT redder..."
----------------------------

I absolutely love the last line! It pretty much sums up everything Josie's feeling.

I love the way you describe the awkwardness between them. The way Josie always is aware of the gaps in conversation, and always feels not good enough for Nina... the way Nina seems so unaware of Josie's feelings that I almost think she's putting it on. It's just lovely. At first, I thought that all Nina's religious references were taking it overboard -- that it was too much. But now, I think it's okay. I think that's what you're trying to do: take it overboard... make Josie feel overwhelmed and confused and slightly disgusted.

Your descriptions are wonderful. They portray not only what the setting is like, but what the narrator thinks of the settings, which is a great thing to be able to do in first person. I yell at a lot of people around here for not doing that. :D But I think that the order is a little strange. Of course, in real life you notice everything at once (pretty much) and of course, you can't do that in writing; it would be too much. But I'm really surprised that Josie notices the smell of the house waaaay before she notices the overwhelmingly-white floors. I know that it's your character, and I shouldn't pester you about the way she is, but this just bothered me.

Also, I would like more overall description. You describe one aspect of one thing (like the smell of the house) extremely in-depth, then one aspect of another thing (like the white floors) extremely in-depth, so that in the end we know what one or two things are like. And we only know about one aspect of them. That's fine, but you need some more general descriptions as well. Show us what impression Josie gets of the house in general, more. High/low ceilings? Little/big windows? Dark/light rooms? Squishy/hard furniture? So on, so forth.

So overall, I really liked it, but it can definitely use more.

As usual, PM me if you have questions/comments!

I hope this critique helps and wasn't too harsh/too soft.

~Azila~

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:32 am
Areida says...

Interesting. I'm curious about how this is going to turn out.

Some random-ish comments:

Pealing/flakey - - - peeling/flaky.

“Yes,” I lied. It smelled like a hospital, but without death. If anything, it smelled like the comfort a hospital gives when you’ve cut yourself open. You’re comforted by the fact that they can put all your guts back inside, and that everything will be better when you leave.

More real Josephine-ness. Yay. :D

I’ve bit my nails since I was ten, and it burned. I felt like someone was shoving a knife under my nails.

Should be "bitten."

More real Josie here, though. I had to work with bleach at the snow cone stand a lot when we were closing up, and if I'd been biting my nails it was majorly not fun.

"She wanted to get a real job like all the other women, but father says a woman’s place isn’t in business. So Mamma left and now I think she’s a devil worshiper down in Arkansas.”

Wow, that Nina is sure something.

I listened to the sound of her rag moving back and forth. I imagined what her fingers looked like, boney but beautiful, with the rag wrapped around.

Should be "bony."

Good description here, though. I always struggle with sensual description, but you do it very nicely. It doesn't feel effortless yet, but I think you're well on your way.

'Nother star for you, Suzie Q. ;)
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Suz!

Grammar and First Impressions

Peal: A loud burst of noise
Peel: To strip of its skin :wink:

You’re comforted by the fact that they can put all your guts back inside, and that everything will be better when you leave.

*snort*

I did, too.

Ew. Why's that comma there?

I thought nothing else could be as white, [no comma] until I saw the kitchen floor.

“Oh, I don’t get any of it.

“I really don’t get any numbers. They’re weirder than atheists.”

LOL. Awesome.

“I don’t get any of it, Miss Joephine.”

Teehee. ^.^

Joephine: Typo.
Josephine: A name belonging to that of a female. :P

“If I didn’t warsh the floor every Monday, it wouldn’t look like that, trust me.”

[s]shut[/s] Shut up shut up shut up shut up…

shut up shut up shut up shut up

Okay, so maybe we're against capitalization and punctuation in this case. xD

I felt like someone was shoving a knife under my nails.

Lord have mercy, OUCH. :x

Characters

Josephine's still awesome-possum. She's still her shy and uneasy self, and you did mention her bitten cuticles again. Lovely job, there! ^^ You also let her smartness shine during her explanation of math's usefulness in the world. Excellent job in that area. It still bothers me a little that Josie's really nervous in front of Nina, but I'm not pushing it either. I know really nervous people, so it's somewhat believable. Again, I think seniority could play a part in this, though; then she wouldn't be too nervous 'cause she's older than Nina? Maybe I'm being stereotypical. Maybe I'm getting senioritis. :lol:

Nina's turning sweeter and sweeter. You reveal her even more, which is awesome. You prove Nina's personality and beliefs so wonderfully, it's almost funny. Everything about her environment -- everything about her -- reflect who she is and what kind of family she lives with. Great job with this. ^_^ I do wonder why Nina's suddenly attracted to Josie, though. Maybe it's because of her nature. As she's said, she loves everyone just like God does. But even a strong believer has a clique, no?

Plot

It's very clear what's happening. Josephine's attraction to Nina is obvious to the reader, though it may not be with Josephine. I don't think it's moving too fast at all, so don't even think about that. (And if you've thought about it because I mentioned it, I'm very sorry; but don't. :lol:) It's developing well, so don't expect a long paragraph of badness under Plot. :D

Overall

This is very excellent as usual. You are an awesome writer, and you've done terrifically with this story. Both of your characters make me smile; I can relate to both of them one way or another. It's so cool. :lol:

Moving onward!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:28 pm
JFW1415 says...

Nit-Picks

“Oh, shucks.” She giggled. “If I didn’t warsh the floor every Monday it wouldn’t look like that, trust me.”

Wouldn't you need to wash it even more than that to keep it so clean?

“Now why on God’s beautiful [s]e[/s]Earth would you want to help me warsh a floor?”

Overall Comments

Dude. This is way too amazing. I swear to God that I am Josie, and I was there, and I was feeling all of that. I couldn't pull my eyes a way for a second.

I think you could use a bit more descriptions. While you describe everything once, that's it. You don't remind us enough.

And if you don't want description, at least set up an atmosphere? Is it warm? Spacious? Dark? The general descriptions you get when first walking into a room.

Do you *really* have to be my competition? O.o

*Gold star*

~JFW1415

if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah