z

Young Writers Society

The Romantic Writer

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:00 am
~Volant~ says...

So, like, I picked up a rose and tried to make photography. This is the first time I've done something like this seriously....What do you think?

(Sorry for the URLs...I couldn't figure out how to just put them up here.)

You like?
Last edited by ~Volant~ on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Where are we going?

93 Reviews

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:02 am
~Volant~ says...

hmmm....upon reflection, I think I should've done these photos on a wood floor instead of carpet...
Where are we going?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:06 am
Firearris says...

Hi Vol!

Picture one: Okay, this is a nice idea! But! could you try this again in an area with more light, or maybe try a different angel? The rose petals are so dark, it would be better if we could see some detail, so I suggest lighter place!

Picture two: Nice, nice nice! I can see plenty of detail! I also like the journal you have, in the plaid, there is a red that looks nice with the rose. There are two things that maybe you could change though:

1. The top right corner, there is some black thing that distracts me, maybe crop the image, or retake it with that removed or in a different place.

2. The bookmark looks nice, except you can see a small bit hanging out in a different area, it may be on purpose, but it looks like it is not meant to be there.

Picture Three: The journal looks different, I couldn't get Picture Three and Two up at the same time to see if the journal was same or not. XD So maybe you switched journals, or just the lighting. I like how much red is brought out with the journal here, I also see a tiny bit of the black dot, also at the bottom right corner, maybe crop that, and same not-supposed-to-be-there look with the bookmark. But this is a nice picture!

Picture four: I love the angel for this, but maybe go someplace with better lighting? Also, the bookmark looks like it is...floating XD It gets my attention too much, maybe tuck it in the journal here. Otherwise, nice!

Picture five: I love this one! The black spot and red fuzzy on the floor should be removed, they distract, also the rose looks a tiny bit crumpled here. But nice!

Sorry for all the things I pointed out >< but this is really nice besides those lighting, and distraction issues! Great job, Vol!

~Arris
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:16 am
Emerson says...

I love these. The angles you have are great, and the colors are wonderful. I think it would have been amazing on a wood floor. I think if you had angled the pictures so we could see more of the floor stem, that would have been even prettier. Really, these are beautiful photos. I love the contrast of the notebook pattern to the rose - something about it is so nice.

As to your picture set up, why not try to upload them on www.photobucket.com? or www.flickr.com? Those sites will let you directly post them here, and they're great hosts. ^_^ I hope to see more!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:40 am
Sohini says...

That's a might good idea. And yes, a wooden background would have been better.

Liked the first and especially the last one.

I wish you hadn't posted so many of them all at once. I know the angles are different and each shot is unique, but so many similar photos screws up the appreciation. You should put the best one (maximum two shots) in the first go. It's my opinion really, so don't think it's a rule or something.

Anyway, they are mostly pretty impressive shots.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 pm
Lynlyn says...

Wow, first go? I like.

First one -
This could be a bit lighter. That could be done in photoshop or something.

Second one - This is nice as well, though I wish it were on a wood background, or maybe even solid black or white. See if you've got any big sheets of paper next time you're doing a project like this, they make useful backdrops.

Third one & fourth one - these both need a bit more light, in my opinion.

Last photograph - this is my favorite. Were it on a wooden or solid background, it would look just like a photo that would be for sale on a stock photography website. Great job!

For a first attempt at photography, these are really quite nice. :)
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:14 am
Maybe says...

These are beautiful! I really like these. I can tell you put a lot of thought into these and they turned out nicely.

#1. I like the angle on this one. The colors are nice and the picture itself is clear. The only thing I have to suggest is that you try to avoid carpet and maybe try posterboard (believe me, it works). Or something else like that. :wink:

#2. Nice shot. But again, try to avoid carpet.

#3. This is a little blurry and could use a bit of light. Otherwise, good shot.

#4. Again, a bit more light could be added. This and number 5 are my favorites.

#5. My favorite. I love this picture.

Really nice for your first try at serious photography. Try to branch out and maybe take some portrait or landscape pictures. The book and rose combo is pretty overused, though if you get it right, can be breathtaking.

And one other thing. If you don't have photoshop, or if you want a program strictly used for photography, try Adobe Lightroom. You can download a free trial at the adobe webite. It helps a lot with lighting and coloring on photos.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more.

-May
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 am
Areida says...

Photo 1 - Pretty! But the lighting is rather boring.

Photo 2 - The angle sort of bothers me on this one. My mind keeps trying to turn the book or the flower or both. The colors come together a little strangely too. The book is cute and modern-looking, whereas the rose is so classic... I'm not sure, this one just doesn't work for me.

Photo 3 - The same as two, except blurry...?

Photo 4 - This one is all right. I would have turned the flower more, so you could see more of the stem. I'm curious about how some of these would look in black and white. That carpet is really doing nothing for me, though.

Photo 5 - Again, it's strange to have the flower turned so you can only see a hint of the stem. I think I would have liked to see some writing on the pages too. That would have been spiffy. :)

All in all, not a bad start!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:07 pm
MiriamHannah says...

I like this, very sellable as a piece, not that poignant though. Still its a really cool rose.
photo 1-I love the whole idea of an open book, it says a lot about you (writer) plus you really get the deep shades of the petal. beautiful. I'm not sure about the carpet of the bookmark though (just to be picky).
photo 2-Still not sure about the carpet but its a nice shot. Maybe if you turned round and zoomed out so it was a bit more diamond shaped.
photo 3-Too out of focus for me.
photo 4-OK the bookmark is really weird, sticking up in the air or something. But nice shot, my favourite so far. Nice angle of the rose and book especially.
photo 5-I like it, prefer four, but I still like it a lot.

I agree with the wooden floor thing, it would look really nice on a deep brown polished wood floor. I'm surprised this is your first time at serious photography because they look quite professional. The bookmark is kind of odd, but its a nice, easily marketable idea that, well ok isn't that original, but I'd certainly like it as a picture on my wall ;).
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment - Bill Bailey, can sometimes be seen scurrying towards a fast food outlet.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:16 pm
Nadia says...

I like the first one the best, also as above the wooden floor would be a good idea. You could also try this on marble, I think it would create a purer look and make you focus a bit more on the actual notebook.

Can I also ask what the rose symbolizes about your writing style, just a question out of curiosity.

xxx

nadia
A picture is a poem without words

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:31 am
cnvalambrosia says...

I like the idea and the way the light falls on the open pages. It has a warm glow combining the dark petals and it even looks as though the blank pages are yellowed with age. Well done.

However, I think it may look more intimate and focused if you were to bring the camera in closer to the subject.

~*hateflash*~
~C.N.

"Out here, I believe in everything. Every leaf, every flower. Birds, the air. Just a feeling that I cannot explain."Green Mansions(1959)

93 Reviews

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:31 am
~Volant~ says...

Thanks guys!!! It helps a lot

Nadia: to tell the truth,it doesn't symbolize anything. I just thought it would be a pretty photo to take my notebook and put a rose in it and take a picture. It doesn't say anything about me; just about any given romantic writer.

I'll try it on a wood floor and a marble floor and see how they look. I'll be needing a new rose, though... :/ lol!!
Where are we going?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:02 am
runswithletters says...

i really liked the first and fourth pictures. i really liked the rose on an open notebook. Beautiful work. The only thing i didn't like was the blue carpet background. If i was you, i would have found a beautiful concrete setting, or maybe a pretty grassy area, just because the rose is so natural, and then you have this weird blue setting. Otherwise, i liked them. good job

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 pm
lakegirls says...

Hi,
This is my first time that I have ever looked at pictures on YWS. I really liked yours, I loved how you made a series of pictures, sort of like a story. I loved, loved, loved the first picture. I liked the way you arranged the rose on the book, and how the ribbon was splayed over the pages. I hope to see more of your work. It is simply beautiful!

PM me if you need anything!

Love,
N
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

I feel like if I was the mafia I’d leave a voicemail.
— Tuckster