z

Young Writers Society

City Underground

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:22 am
yoha_ahoy says...

It won me $100 in a really big, prestigious juried art competition! :D It's a digital painting done with Adobe Photoshop, my loverly drawing tablet, and hoooours of patience, care and love. ^_^ And I did have to shrink this down a lot. It was originally 8x34". :roll: Enjoy!

~Yoyo 8)
Attachments
Underground.jpg
City Underground (c) 2008
Underground.jpg (588.65 KiB) Viewed 886 times
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:26 am
Alteran says...

Most interesting. Very well done indeed. I really liked the boat at the bottom. Great work and holy jeez how did you ever print this?
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:28 am
Sacred says...

hello there
I like the idea of the light in the roots, thats really cool.
It just seems a bit empty to me. Like there needs to be more to look at. Right now I just cruise down it, but I think you could put some more detail. Like the sky; birds, plains, more clouds etc. Underground; people, contraptions etc.
It might just be me, but I find this kinda like a draft.
Keep going!
Sacred
you just keep giving, but you never get back

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:30 am
yoha_ahoy says...

Adam_Atlantian wrote:Most interesting. Very well done indeed. I really liked the boat at the bottom. Great work and holy jeez how did you ever print this?

The boat's my favorite part! ^^ And I used an awesome brand spankin' new large-format printer at my college digital photography class. XD They just brought it online one day when I was in class so I said, "Hey, I have a picture you can use to test the color on..." and they let me print it free, twice!! *dances* Oh the advantages of a small community college graphic arts program. XP
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 am
Sohini says...

Congratulations!

Great piece of art, very different and to think you drew it on Adobe!! A hundred Hats off to you. the roots and the glowing circle they are grasping (signifying power/energy?) is really neat. it made me say, underground or what, the ultimate source of life are trees.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:11 pm
MidnightVampire says...

I loved this, the concept is great. No wonder you won a hundred bucks!
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:12 pm
Nate says...

This is a really cool picture. You should consider making it available for sale as a poster over at Cafepress or somewhere else. I'd buy one!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm
Emerson says...

I can't even begin to explain how amazing this looks. Too bad you had to shrink it; I would love to see the finer details of it.

It's so intricate and meaningful, I think. It's so unique, it doesn't seem to be influenced by much else, or if it was, it is a mixture of so much influence that it is still its own thing. I love the ship at the very bottom, and the city buildings between it all. The underground tree of light is amazing.

Strangely enough, I find it thought provoking. I would buy a poster of this. ^_^ Signed, perhaps?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:05 pm
Rydia says...

This is really good. I think that there's just a touch too much plain sky. I'd suggest putting a cloud there or half a cloud rather and positioning it so that it touches the edge of the paper at one side. That's probably the weakest part actually; the sky and the cloud. I think the cloud could be more detailed and have a higher range of colour, maybe a touch of grey and something to make it appear a little more 3D?

Other than that, I really have no criticism. The boat is amazing and I love how the roots appear to be holding onto the sun and the detail of the rock face is just awesome. And I'm sure its even better on the full sized picture! I'm not surprised you won. Congrats by the way!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:04 pm
Areida says...

Oh, wow, what a cool concept!

I agree with Heather ^ about perhaps too much blue sky. It makes it look like there's four layers rather than two or three (if you count the underground section as just one layer. To me it looks more like two, because of the separation between the city and the ship.). Bringing the cloud closer to the tree might be better. Or adding in another cloud or two, so the underground segment doesn't overwhelm the above ground part.

That said, though, well done! How exciting that you won. :D My favorite parts are the tree, the sun in the roots, and the rocky-looking parts behind the city and the ship. Very cool!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Thu May 01, 2008 6:33 pm
[deleted1] says...

This is really good. I love the details in each painting. Very good job. Keep up the good work.

-Rick.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu May 01, 2008 6:59 pm
Aedomir says...

Wow!

Actually, someone at school is doing something very similar to this for his art project. I find this very intriguing, and a great picture. I am amazed at how intricate and... interesting to have made this! I loved this picture, well done. Great surrealism and I think the last bit is great. At the top, the ground is little blurred but I think it flwos very well with picture there.

-Mark
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sat May 10, 2008 7:46 pm
aestar101 says...

Nice. I like how mystical it is. But I think it would look even better as it orignal size. It is very interesting, though. This will be somthing I would actually buy it. I could write a story about this. :D Keep up the good work.
Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose. - Evan Esar
Like my opinions a lot? Let me critique you. topic29146.html

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue May 13, 2008 2:40 am
Because I wanted to... says...

This is very intresting. I love the sun in the roots.
"At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet."
-Plato

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue May 13, 2008 7:31 pm
zoeybird13024 says...

That's an amazing picture! You made that?! How cool! And creative! If I was wandering through a shop and saw that picture for sale, I'd totally buy it.

I really like that 'light bulb' in the city. I thought it was really cute how the tree's roots hold it like that. This picture reminded me of Montmorency--except he discovers the sewers are anything but elegant!

-x-Ashes

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest