The Orchard: April 9th, 2023

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:09 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Welcome to the Orchard!

A Special NaPo Newsletter

To keep you up to date on your favorite poetry month!

April 9th Issue: See the Sprouts of NaPo!

Table of Contents

A Note From Our Editor...

Well, friends, we're in the thick of it now! As we step into week two, I'm so pleased to look out across the NaPo forum and see so many NaPo threads sprouting towards the sun! All your hard work and dedication to your craft is really something to see. I've loved the buzz of activity settling over YWS this month, there's always something exciting going on!

Gardening can get a little more difficult as the warmth of spring settles in and we get a little tired of waking up every morning to water our plants. It's hard to write every day! But I'm here to tell you that I'm so proud of you, you're doing great, and I know you can reach your goals! Whether that's 30 poems in 30 days, or simply just writing a little more than you did last year, you're already well on your way to reaching the finish line. You should be proud of yourself for what you've done so far!

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see all that you do this month.

Much Love,

Lady Spark
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:09 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

NaPo Garden Center: Information Kiosk

Everything you need to know about planting your NaPo!

Are you new to NaPo?
It can be pretty confusing,
so if this is your first year joining National Poetry Month,
check this article out for more information and details about this awesome month-long event!

First things first, head over to the NaPo Forum! Here you'll find fellow poet's threads, information topics, and other relevant event information. To get started, create your own thread! Give it a super fun name, and if you want to get crazy— maybe a theme! To find out more about how to get started, you can always click on the 2023 NaPo Information thread. In this topic, you can read more about what NaPo is, how to get started, and what bonuses are going to be included on YWS this month to celebrate!

Next, you're going to want to head to Badge Information. In my humble opinion, the 2023 badges are the best NaPo badges we've had yet! Collect as many as you can before the month is over! Badge challenges include finishing NaPo (30 poems/30 days), commenting on other YWSer NaPo threads, and attending Poetry Jams. Can you collect them all?

Don't forget to check out what other YWSers have posted so far! The forum is already filling up with many prospective NaPoers, and we're excited for you to join us!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:10 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Gardener's Almanac: Important Reminders

You're not going to want to forget these things!

Are you new to NaPo?
It can be pretty confusing,
so if this is your first year joining National Poetry Month,
check this article out for more information and details about this awesome month-long event!

• April Madness takes place during National Poetry Month! The planting window for an April Madness run is now closed! If you're one of the lucky competitors, You have until April 10th to submit your poem!
  • If you want to earn your Poem A-Day Badge, make sure you're posting once a day in your NaPo thread!
  • There's a new feature this year for NaPo! The #PCrewPicks are featured NaPo poems by the Poetry Crew to showcase the diverse poets we have here on YWS. If you'd like to participate, there's a hashtag for that too, #PeoplesPick! Oh, and anyone who's featured gets an exclusive badge! How fun is that?!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:10 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

New! At the Garden Center

Here's what's new at the YWS Garden Center this week!

NaPo has a lot going on each week, start here to find out what's what!

LadySpark is hosting a vocal poetry jam on April 15th and 8pm (EST). A vocal poetry jam is just like any other jam, but with a little bit of a twist! Bring a recording of yourself reading one of your NaPo poems and we'll jam! Use a service like this one to make your recording and be ready for a lot of fun!

Also, don't forget these things!
  • Join the Poetry Jam Club so you make sure you know when a jam is happening! Or, to host your own! Remember, you need to attend 5 jams to gain your poetry jam badge!
  • If you're having trouble getting started, head to the Poem Spot to get your creative juices flowing! That's right, you have to write a poem on the spot. But don't worry, I know whatever you write will be a great addition to your 30 poems!
  • Take the pressure off and write the worst poem you can.
  • Take part in all the fun hashtags of NaPo, #WhyNaPo, #AlphabetAnswers, #PoetryMusings, #NaPo2023, #ThePeople'sPick
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:11 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

First Blooms

NaPo Forum Sneak Peeks

The NaPo Forums are bustling with busy poetry bees setting up their new threads for 2023. Let's take a look!

One of my favorite things is to check out the threads that are lying quietly in wait for their first sprouts. After careful watering, poeting gardeners can feel confident that their first blooms will be plentiful, colorful, and diverse just like a flower garden. Here are some threads I'm especially excited for this NaPo! Don't worry, we'll be bringing this back every week— we've got too many amazing poets to only do this feature once!

_rida, so my silence won't be mistaken for peace
These images illicit such visceral reactions from me I had to share the amazing narrative rida is crafting in her NaPo thread with all of you. Her first poem is so evocative, yet is a universal experience that almost anyone can relate to. I highly reccomend subscribing to this one so you can keep up with what rida is doing. Because it's absolutely phenomenal!

_Apricity, tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us
The way Apricity has taken their prompts each day and made them unique and true to their own poetic voice is so inspiring. She writes such vivid images it's hard not to picture them in your head, clear as day. Her structure is also so smooth, it's like honey! This is definitely one you want to keep up with as she continues to plant such beautiful poetry in her NaPo garden!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:12 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Favorite Poets of YWS

With so many amazing poets on YWS, it's only right that some are featured during NaPo!

Spending so many years reading and learning from other YWSers has impacted me in so many positive ways. I know I'm not the only one! Let's take the time to feature some of those amazing writers this NaPo!

When I started thinking about poets that helped form new generations of poets on YWS, one of the first poets I think of is Audy. When she was active, she wasn't just an amazing poet. She was also a fabulous mentor who provided amazing reviews and words of advice to poets for many years while she helped lead the poetry crew.

In order to be a better writer, it's very important we read what other poets are writing. YWS is an oasis of amazing writers who are accesible to us in ways that our favorite, published poets may not be. While Audy may not be active regularly anymore, you can scroll through her amazing reviews on works and her own posts to her portfolio. You can learn so much from her distinct poetic voice and unparralled imagery.

There are a few poets on YWS who have such amazing NaPo threads, I can't stop reading them. Apricity is one of those poets. Her NaPo thread, tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us, is absolutely breathtaking and full of stunning imagery and capitvating narratives. Her portfolio isn't anything less than absoutely drop-dead gorgeous.

Another poet that has me checking their thread over and over is Willard, with their thread, anatomy of a body that will soon be forgotten. Something about their poetic voice is so distinct and unique, you can't tear yourself away from the imagery that just sucks you right in. Willard is also known for their reviews, which are insightful and probing. Whenever you get a notification that you've gotten a review from them, you know they are going to be investigating the motivation into the why of your poem. If you're looking to learn something— as a reviewer, reader, or writer, just check out some of their latest reviews on works around YWS.

Check in next week to see what other poets we feature in this series, new and old!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:13 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

April Madness: Update, Week One

You're not going to want to miss this!

Every week catch a summary of what's going on during NaPo's April Madness!

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness! It's time for April Madness! The competitors have been announced, the first iteration of the bracket has been released, and the judges are sitting in wait for their cue to begin debating who moves on after the April 10th deadline.

But before we get into that, let's break down what April Madness is, who's competiting, what the rules are and what's going to happen next.

What it is
A March Madness-esque style competition, where poets go head to head in a series of poetry face-offs until there are only two poets left. In each round, poets submit one poem to go against a few other YWSer's poems, with the winner moving on to the next round.

Who's competiting?

Yours truly (LadySpark) in a group for round one with rubyxbanks, starshipgirl, Willard, and DreamyAlice. EsmerayaRose, Seirre, yamatri, and Apricity will all face off against each other, while another group for round one, Rook, ForeverYoung299, niteowl, Ventomology will challenge one another for spots in the next round. looseleaf, rida, SilverNight, yosh, and Euphory make up the final grouping for round one. Wow, what a talented group this is! I know there is going to be some really incredible poetry in the first round, and some stiff competition for everyone to advance!

What are the rules?
1. Submissions must be written in April
2. No set genre or length.
3. Poetry must be submitted in this thread by the deadline of each round. Please indicate that you've edited your submission if you have done so. If something comes up and you can't turn in your submission, please let me know!
4. Poetry may only be reused for the final round.

What happens next?
Competitors submit their poems by the deadline on April 10th. Judges will announce the results on April 12th. Don't forget there's also a redemption bracket!

I'm so excited to get to see everyone's submissions and follow along with the contest. There are some amazing poets competiting this year, it's bound to be an amazing month!

Good luck to everyone! This is going to be so exciting!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:15 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Poet Profile: FireEyes
(Perspectives and Advice from a New NaPo Poet)

by: alliyah

Along with many poetry-veterans, NaPo is always attracting new poets too! For this interview I decided to hear from a first-time-napo-goer to hear what inspired them to participate and get the scoop on their NaPo game plan. While @/FireEyes is new to NaPo, they certainly aren't new to poetry, and have been sharing their poems on YWS since 2020 ranging in topics from health, to love, to friendship. Let's see what they had to say!

alliyah: Hi Fire, so let's start with your poetry - how would you describe your Poetic Voice?

FireEyes: My poetic voice is akin to song lyrics. I like to use a lot of metaphors and imagery that doesn't necessarily fit together thematically wise. More often than not, my writing is bitter and somber with undertones of subdue hope. Metaphorically the physical feel could be likened to the physical pain you feel in your chest after great emotional pain has happened.

alliyah That's some great analysis and I would agree those somber themes definitely come through a lot of your poetry, though not in a despairing way! You keep things layered. If you were looking through all of your poetry, is there a poem you've shared on YWS that you are most proud of?

FireEyes: have a few I really love, but the one I think I love the most is "are we friends?" ... "no." It's so raw and so much of the descriptive language makes me feel like a real poet.

alliyah Terrific example of a very emotive and heart breaking poem of yours. So, you know I have to ask - why'd you decide to do NaPo this year?[right]

FireEyes: I decided to do NaPo this year because I first got inspiration from the thread YWS Statuses that could work as a NaPo Thread Title and the gears in my head started turning. I also ended up in there a lot so I was thinking about NaPo more than I usually was. I also made a challenge to myself to write a poem each month this year because my poetry was very sparse last year. So I thought NaPo would be a great event to get more of my poetic juices flowing and use up some of my ideas I never get to write my long winded poems for.

[right]alliyah: Well that's an awesome challenge for yourself, and I am so happy that thread inspired you, it's been one of my favorite's to participate in this year actually too. What direction do you think your NaPo poems are going to go?

FireEyes: I think I'm going to go for the most basic of the basic, angsty love poems. I've sent so many poetic messages to my friend about love and I need to use that energy in actual poems.

alliyah: angsty? love-poems? I'm here for it! Anything you're hoping to get out of participating in NaPo?

FireEyes: I hope to find my creative passion to out-of-the-blue poetry again. Most often now my poems are based off of very real feelings from real life events and sometimes some events don't happen for me to write about. I'm hoping to be able to write about a topic without feeling what I'm writing about firsthand.

alliyah: What would you say to poets who are on the fence about participating?

FireEyes: It's not a competition. The poems don't have to be amazing, they have to be you. This can be a poetic exercise instead of a challenge.

alliyah: Couldn't agree more! NaPo is what you make it, and doing the best that you can do, whatever that is! :) Just in case people need one, can you share a Poetry Prompt with our readers?

FireEyes: Hmmm write a poem about something small and make it significant. That's what the most unique poems really are, something small that evoke big emotions.

---

Thanks for your answers FireEyes! You can find Fire helping out the site on the Resource & Community Crew on our Junior Moderator Team, and along with their portfolio you can check out their poetry this April over at their NaPo thread entitled: "lipstick stains on wet walls" - which I'm going to take a wild guess might hold a few love poems for us this April!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu