z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

If only she had thought first

by zoeliza9


If only she had thought first

It had been an accident. A consequence of a misunderstanding. She never meant for it to happen.

Pandora snapped back to life, shaking her head to clear the memories. She breathed. She blinked. She allowed her eyes to shut for a moment before the images flooded the black insides of her eye lids once more. Her mother was still crying and she could see her smudged face through the grubby glass.

"Mom… We only have a few more minutes." Pandora put as much tenderness into her words as she could. Her mother answered by blowing her nose. Pandora set her brown-eyed gaze towards the clock, then towards the official. He clenched his gun tighter to his chest and Pandora lowered her stare. She watched the other women talk to their visitors through the gaps in the foggy glass. All wearing the same orange jumpsuit, all chained to the leg of their chair like dogs. Pandora didn't belong here, she was too pretty to be kept in a place this soiled. But, she had thought that about her life before here too, and she would give anything to go back there.

Pandora had once been glamorous - chocolate waves of hair pinned into perfect victory rolls, berry red lipstick complimenting the pallor of her face. She had high set cheek bones and the way her eyes glistened set every man on her trail. She chose Lux. Lux was older than she was and didn't have much money, but boy were they in love. She was young when they married, only 18. They lived a tough life but cherished every moment together.

"Stop yappin' on that thing and come help me!"

"I'm talking to my mom!" Pandora hollered from the bedroom. Their apartment was small and dingy and all that they could afford. One bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room complete with a crackling television. The carpets were stained and the curtains didn't match but the rent was cheap. Her footsteps made the thin walls tremble.

"Do not talk about my momma that way!" Pandora's mother had not approved of Lux, she thought he had taken his baby too young. She thought Pandora was too good for a bum like him; too pretty for him too. Pandora opened the fridge and grabbed a beer. She was a sweet girl but she liked to drink. She stood by the sofa taking chugs from the green bottle. Lux got up and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Don't touch me," Pandora snapped, a soft and warning anger in her breath, along with the stench of alcohol. Lux slumped back into the sofa.

"Fine, but help me with the god damned bills," impatience lined Lux's words but they were devoid of anger, "I can't do the math."

"Always were useless with numbers." There was spite in Pandora's voice. She took a long swig of beer and stared down and the looming pile of papers on the table.

A buzz shook the room, followed by the clanging of metal against metal. The sound of chains dragging made Pandora's head ache. A guard pushed something hard into Pandora's back, signalling it was time to go. Pandora already missed the company of her snivelling mother. Once back in bitter isolation, sleep came quickly.

"I can't live like this anymore!" Pandora grabbed a fistful of bills, crumpling the red word "Urgent" printed on the top of most of the sheets. Sweat stuck Lux's blond hair to his forehead.

"You can't even provide for me!" The screaming hurt Pandora's throat, every syllable clawing to get out.

"Don't you think I've tried?" Lux's scream weren't nearly as callous, he sounded weak. A curl fell out of Pandora's perfect rolls, wisps of hair escaping. A new bottle in her hand.

"I deserve better than you and this dump!" She still looks so beautiful, Lux thought. The dim light cast shadows across her features.

"But I love you," this time Lux didn't have the energy to scream.

"You are nothing!" Pandora's words began to slur. Lux got up, tried to approach, but Pandora was like a wild beast who didn't want to be tamed. She pushed him back, hard. Harder than either of them thought she had the strength to do. Lux fell, his back slammed against the wall and he slid down the smooth surface to the floor. Pandora stared at the pathetic heap.

"You are nothing!" She punched him. His head was knocked backwards as she collided with his nose. Crunch.

"You are nothing! You are nothing! You are nothing!" Each time she brought her fist back and hit him hard in the face, her knuckles colliding with his soft profile. Crimson poured from his nose. A cut above his eyebrow, everything bruised. He coughed, the first time Lux had moved since she had stopped attacking him. He spewed blood, bubbles forming at his mouth. Lux looked up to her then, and as Pandora stared passed the despair in his eyes, she realised there was something worse than what she had just done, she didn't feel the guilt. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hi Zoeliza,

You have some great description in this piece that kept me reading the whole way through. Your pacing is solid and I enjoy your characterisation of all the character's mentioned, even when they are horrible, horrible people like Pandora is.

I do have an issue with how quickly Pandora gets drunk, because if she liked to drink a lot she probably had some kind of tolerance built up and two or three bottles no matter how quickly drunk, isn't going to inebriate you that fast. Maybe indicate that she'd been drinking since early morning or some such? And I think you missed a line of dialogue between where she says "I'm talking to my mom!" and then "Do not talk about my momma that way!" - He didn't say anything about her mum at that point so it comes off as missing a line of dialogue.

The switch in times is mildly confusing but works, if this were any longer I'd definitely suggest that you need to indicate you're making a switch so that we can move along without that little bit of confusion. At the same time I'd suggest this was slightly longer. I know you're writing a short piece that is clearly only meant to be a moment looking back, but some more toward the end might be nice, something that slows it down or talks about how much the pain of hitting him hurt? Punching someone that hard in the face would probably break some bones in her hand, particularly if she kept doing it. Did he die on hitting the wall? If not, why didn't he fight back at all, was it shock or resignation or some such? Maybe tell us a tiny bit about that (just one line would do it) to stop any left over questions.

In the end, consider the pacing of Pandora's drinking, the skip in dialogue and maybe adding some length to this. I enjoyed the read, though, so thank you for posting!

- Pen.




zoeliza9 says...


Thank you so much for your feedback! I think you're right with the drinking, I didn't even think of that. You are also right that I missed a line of dialogue. I had written this as a piece for school and then typed it up so I must have missed that bit. This piece was written in only an hour long class and I agree that I rushed some areas, making it slightly confusing and skipping out on some detail.

I really appreciate your comment!
- Zoeliza



User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 629
Reviews: 118

Donate
Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:06 am
IceWinifredd wrote a review...



Wow. What a gruesome tale indeed. I actually felt really bad for Lux in the end. You'd think Pandora would at least have some appreciate towards the guy since he's trying to give her the best he can provide even though he's nowhere near rich. Still, she did accept him knowing this just so she could beat him to death? I'm shocked he hasn't defended himself in some way. Anyways, I think this is a rather fun rendition of Pandora and I think you've done a very nice job adding your own touch of originality and individualism to this story! I never would've pictured the Pandora I know with a taste for drinking! Overall, I would say that it's a very neat write as well as attention-grabbing! Nice work and keep writing! -IceWinifredd




zoeliza9 says...


Thank you for your review!



IceWinifredd says...


You're welcome. :)




"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk