Beyond

by zenonian

BOOK COVER

Prologue

Valdor heard a sound through the small ridged cracks on the front door. Valdor's father, Orodis, signaled with his head to go see what is at the door. In a way Valdor was actually scared of his father. His father was over 6 'ft. tall and over 300 pounds which is not normal for any elf. Most elves where around 5' ft. tall and where very slender. His father was a bald man and from the perspective of a 5 year old such as Valdor his father looked like a giant. Valdor was very small for his age. He had dark hair like most elves at the time and a light complexion.

Valdor did as his father said. As Valdor got close to the door he heard a dull scream coming from the other side. Valdor soon determined that it was the crying of a baby. As he crept closer to the door, the crying became louder. He slowly opened the door afraid of what might be on the other side.

He opened the door and saw nothing. He looked down. He was amazed at what was in front of his eyes. It was a human child! The human had eyes as blue as the ocean. His hair was as dark as night. He had pale skin which made him look more like an elf than any human had before. The baby had rounded ears which was the first hint to Valdor that this child was human.

He picked up the baby that was laying in a wooden cradle made of red oak. The basket was in twined with red lace and was obviously made by a master craftsman. He took the basket inside along with the baby. The child had stopped crying now and Orodis stood at the south end of the dinning table looking on with amusement. The father asked Valdor what he had picked up from on the porch.

The father inspected the child. " Valdor this baby is not of elven heritage. No human has ever before entered the gates of our kingdom. There is no way into to this kingdom and no way out. This child ending up on our door step is a predicament that I cannot seem to tackle." Valdor, do you see anything that might hint us to where this child has come from?" " No father. No note was left and I did not see anyone around when I opened the door. Surely the babe must have a family."

After brief consideration Orodis spoke," I will not give the child to the authorities. The child would become a slave of the empire which is no life for anybody even if the child is of human descent. Therefore I will raise the child as my own," declared Orodis. Ordis would care and provide for the child as if it was his own. Valdor was filled with happiness at the thought of having a sibling. After his mother died Valdor had been very lonely. Having a sibling to play with would make Valdor's life much more enjoyable.

" Even though the child is not of elven descent the child shall have an elven name. I shall call him Aarron in honor of your great grand father." Orodis said to his son Valdor which was now sporting a full smile that reached to both corners of his face.

And so it was.

end of prologue

This is what i have so far of chapter 1

Picking the wheat seemed tougher than usual. It was like there was some sort of animal tugging it from below. The drying soil might have contributed to the tough wheat. This picking season had been unusually hot. Aarron had already passed out twice this season and he was now on the verge of heat stroke. Valdor would always tease him for leaving the fields to refill his canteen. Elves did not tire easily so therefore Aarron could not find a canteen big enough for his human thirst.

It was nearing sundown and dinner was right around the corner. Aarron thought of what dinner might be. His mouth filled up with saliva just thinking about the many dishes that might be in store for tonight. Orodis was watching Aarron from the woods. “Stop your day dreaming boy, the end of harvest is just around the bend and you two still have two fields to pick. Aarron felt bad for Valdor. He notice that during his little dream session Valdor had picked two more lines bringing his total of the day up to seventeen lines. In all Aarron had only picked nine lines. “Between the day dreaming and rushing to the lake for water I had a limited time to help Valdor with the harvest,” thought Aarron. Aarron could see that Valdor was mad at him, but Valdor didn’t want to word his frustration because Valdor knew that it would only hurt Aarron’s feelings.

Aarron was disappointed in himself. Aarron wanted to help with the harvest as much as he could it’s just that his human body would not permit it. “ If only I was an elf,” thought Aarron. “ Then I would be able to harvest as much wheat as Valdor if not more.”

When Aarron was done pitying himself he had realized that Orodis and Valdor had already gone in for dinner. The sun was setting quickly. The sun was no longer visible through the dark gray mountains which covered the entire landscape behind his house.

The sun shone only through the walkways at the base of the mountains. The mountains were not but a league away maybe even less. The mountains behind his house had always interested him. He could recall back to when he was naught but 6. He remembered how he would make pictures of the mountains for Orodis. “ The next time Orodis gives me a free day I shall go to the mountains. I would like to know of the wonder that are in my back yard,” thought Aarron to himself as he walked towards there shack.

Aarron did not live in the best living conditions. The elven shack they live in was small. The shack was so small that Valdor and Aarron had to share a room. The shack was made of the enchanted wood that came from a forest deep within the empire known as Olson. Though many knew the name no one knew where the forest was located. It was a secret known only to the elders and to certain others who the elders favored. Shacks being made of enchanted wood meant that the wood would never crack and rain would never leak through. As Aarron reached the door he cleared his mind of all thought.

As Aarron entered he could smell nothing cooking in the fire. Aarron was puzzled, but still he sat at the table. He was eager to eat. Picking food all day had made him tired and all he wanted was a good meal. Valdor sat opposite of him. Valdor was obviously sad but for what reason Aarron knew not. Aarron said to Valdor, “ Cheer up my brother. We had worked in the fields all day and now we shall feast.” It had not seemed to cheer Valdor up at all. Aarron could feel his stomach churning and he was hungry evermore. “ Where is Orodis?” Aarron asked. “ My stomach grows impatient.”

I love criticism so post all the criticism u think this story needs!

I haven't got the chance to read over it yet so theres probably some parts that need to be redivised but this is just a part of chapter 1 and its a rough draft. In this chapter i will trying to establish the different characters personalitys so if you have any tips on that please share. Thx

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:09 am
Squall wrote a review...

I started reading the prologue slowly until I came to the word "elves."

Then I just scanned it and I thought to myself...this sounds cliche.

Ask yourself, out of all the books you've read, all the movies you saw and all the games you've played, don't you think it gets tedious starting the story off with finding something or someone?

I won't change it for now, just some food for thought. But you've made some progress, it is much easier to follow now.

Bye for now.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:49 am
Lethero says...

I learned this from my english teacher and she said that everytime there is a different speaker in a story you have to make a new paragraph. Don't know why, but who can argue with her she's and english teacher.

zenonian says...

plz comment

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:03 pm
Jiggity wrote a review...

The human had eyes as blue and the ocean.

I think perhaps you missed, 'deep as' after 'and'. Otherwise 'and' needs to be changed to 'as'.

He had pale like skin which made

He had pale skin--eliminate 'like'.

He picked up the baby that was laying in wooden cradle made of red oak

laying in 'a' wooden cradle

and obviously made by a master craftsman

and 'was'.

his father stood at the south end of the dinning table looking with amusement.

looking 'on' with amusement.

Okay so I was more then impressed with this story, not because of the content which isnt exactly original--as lily mentioned--but because of the clarity with which you wrote. Its remarkable only because of your age--in my experience members your age have more difficulty and generally dont write as well. However, you do have grammatical issues, I see you miss some connecting words like 'a' and 'on'. Continually re-checking your work will help eliminate careless mistakes like these. Other then that I agree with Lily on everything.

Your biggest problem is dialogue. I hated the last bit because of it, and it is, I think, the part people have the most difficulty perfecting, especially in your age group. Check out the link Lilly gave you, its quite good and tells you all you need to know.

Good luck and well done.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:11 pm
Lilyy03 wrote a review...

Does the reader need to be told character's height and weight in the very first paragraph? I think not. It's not a very gripping start; focus more on your characters' actions and personalities, and fill us in on the details later.

Valdor's father ( Orodis ) signaled with his head to go see what is at the door.

I don't think you need the name in parentheses. Commas would do.

go see what is at the door

What was. Make sure your tense is consistent.

As Valdor got close to the door he heard a dull scream coming from the door.

Don't write "door" twice in a row. You could replace "from the door" with "from the other side".

He got up from his chair at the table.

He hadn't gotten up before...?

It was a human child! Valdor had never seen a human before.

So, assuming this is all told from Valdor's point of view... How could he be sure it was a human when he'd never seen one before?

The child had stopped crying now and his father stood at the south end of the dinning table looking with amusement.

Whose father? Valdor's or the baby's?

Also, your dialogue punctuation needs some work... This might help.

This has definitely improved from the first version. Not nearly as many typos, and more showing rather than telling. I think your characters' personalities could be better though--the father right now only shows some vauge, noble intentions. What about him makes Valdor somewhat afraid?

Also, it's not exactly the most original scene for a prologue. A mysterious foundling has been a theme in many, many stories. Not to say you shouldn't do it... but at least try to make something about it unique.

Though you still have some work to do, good job on making a lot of progress already! :)

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild