Exerpt from the bestest story ever written

by zelithon

Chapter X

Sir Lil’

Fee fi fo fumb!

I smell the blood of a nasty one!

Be he young or be he old, I will eat him, if truth be told!

Meanwhile (you would think there would be tons of synonyms for a word as common in writing as meanwhile wouldn’t you? But strangely enough there is not that many at all) all the way across the road a very different scene was taking place in the home of the Nasty Rodents.

There were many different types of small cheese or nut loving animals making up the clan of Nasty Rodents but they were all more or less the same size; some of the rodents would have grown bigger, because they were young, if it were not for the Initiation, yet others were still babies and smaller than the standard size. There was a rat, a young raccoon, squirrels or chipmunks, mice of men, mice of woman, rabbits and gophers. But perhaps the most important of the whole clan was those ferrety/ weasely/ stoaty/ ottery types of animal. He was an adult male, strange because he had survived the initiation. He like most of the others was large rat sized. He was brown and named Runner for unknown reasons. Well I know why he was named Runner but as far as your concerned it was “unknown reasons,” and don’t you DARE act all smart-alecky on me and say it is because he runs a lot, because you don’t know if he does. Well anyway Runner was the leader of the insane mottled clan of Nasty Yellow Bucked Teethed Rodents. Some other smart alecks might also snobbily point out that some type things, or raccoons are not rodents, I would not know but this is MY story so I shall go ahead and claim that they are all rodents. Anyone have a problem with that? Because if you do I would very calmly like you to know, that quite frankly, I don’t care, and if you feel that me saying this is rude than you can go leave ‘cause I (apposed to you) am the ringleader here. So as my grandmother and some times my mom says, Anyhow.

Anyhow the filthy rodents were having another screaming rowdy argument about initiation.

“It is time! He is old enough.” goes Runner.

“He is barley a child! He is MUCH too young!” says motherly female rodent of your choice.

“He must!”

“No! Please! I might get killed!” cries young male rodent of your choice (are not I being generous in letting you decide what type of rodent they are? See? I am not all bad).

The adult rodents ignore the youngster, of course.

“He is tiny!”

“That is because he is young, duh!” says Runner who at times was foolish.

“You just contradicted yourself!”

“I did not.” said Runner in a final tone.

“You did. Anyway The One shall surly eat him alive!” “The One” she was referring to was none other than the great standard poodle, Boo who all young Nasty Rodent boys have to face and survive, not kill her but survive her, because killing her was beyond comprehension. All young boys had to face this gruesome initiation, and not one had yet survived. This tradition had gone on as long as anyone could remember but then again rodents have notoriously short life spans and even shorter memories. Afte, all Boo was mortal dog, if a little large for her breed. She was also skinny from living off of only occasional initiations and barbaric ritual sacrifices from the Rodents in addition to scarce desert food. Boo had been abandoned as a one year old dog simply because she was no longer a puppy, that is why she was stuck in the desert.

“He is a tough fellow.”

“A tough fellow! A tough fellow!? That only means he will take longer for her to chew!” frantically screamed motherly female rodent of your choice.

“I don’t care what you say, he needs to be initiated and that’s final! He will survive, won’t you boy?”

“No! Please! I am weak and small for my size!” pleaded young male rodent of your choice “I don’t want to die!” he sobbed.

“Nonsense! You can’t be small for your size! You mean small for your age!” Runner was truly very foolish indeed.

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:46 am

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: So this was a very interesting story. At times it appears to attempt to be a serious story. Then it has a few ridiculous elements that just make it really funny and then there are some quippy fourth wall breaks. I just don't know what exactly this story is trying to be. It seems to be attempting too many things at once.

Okay interesting place to start things off and I am not sure exactly what purpose the sentence in the brackets is serving. Is that a comment for those who are reading it? Is that something that is actually part of the story?

He was an adult male, strange because he had survived the initiation. He like most of the others was large rat sized. He was brown and named Runner for unknown reasons. Well I know why he was named Runner but as far as your concerned it was “unknown reasons,” and don’t you DARE act all smart-alecky on me and say it is because he runs a lot, because you don’t know if he does. Well anyway Runner was the leader of the insane mottled clan of Nasty Yellow Bucked Teethed Rodents. Some other smart alecks might also snobbily point out that some type things, or raccoons are not rodents, I would not know but this is MY story so I shall go ahead and claim that they are all rodents. Anyone have a problem with that? Because if you do I would very calmly like you to know, that quite frankly, I don’t care, and if you feel that me saying this is rude than you can go leave ‘cause I (apposed to you) am the ringleader here. So as my grandmother and some times my mom says, Anyhow.

Well that is certainly quite an interesting turn there. And it appears that our narrator is attempting to be humorous and pretend like he is telling the story to us so that's done okay. The once concern I have is that this paragraph is much too long and it should be split at the point that I have quoted from. In fact even this bit might benefit from being turned into a couple of pieces.

Okay now I'm seeing that we are also breaking the fourth wall here. That does usually lead to some hilarious lines if done correctly. I sure hope you stick with what you have so far because it has been good so far.

That's a mixture of backstory, exposition and actually good narration making a kind of hard to understood soup. That whole paragraph has to be rephrased and cleaned up a bit so that it is showing one particular thing and not like twenty different things all at once.

Okay that sounded contradictory. From what I remember Runner was originally requesting that he be allowed to perform the initiation but then now he doesn't want it. Not sure what you were going for there.

Aaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: So this is certainly funny and the flow is actually pretty good except that one weird paragraph that I pointed out above. As a plot it surprisingly has something in there and that's a first for a purely comedic story. At any rate it was a lot of fun to read and its certainly quite well written for the most part.

Firestarter wrote a review...

Where's the rest? Surely if this is the best story ever written you can afford to reveal more. Or were you afraid of exciting us too much at once? :wink:

No, seriously, I have no idea what universe I'm in.

Zelithan says...

Very good! And for the record, cousin, you had that title first!

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart