private apocalypse

by yumkit

i. paint my fingers with fresh pomegranate

they stain the same, so let my head stay in your lap

we are just another branch of spring

looking up

i'm still not sure what colour your eyes are

but they are more then enough while you pluck away the dusty leftovers

of last year that still hang in the air

your hands are warm and my fingers are cold

please, don't find somebody new

-

ii. take your time, you say

and that was the prettiest thing anyone has ever told me

red-faced, trudging in the foggy snow

still you speak up and hold out your hand

we could be now but we are not

you carry fragments of my song on repeat 

for the sixth week now

you cup my face and grin

like a soaring soul and suddenly 

everything isn't so bad

-

iii. you take away my words on this quiet day

with tiny windows and too much sunlight

but i am sure you and me both

we can hear my chest bursting open 

with glitter and sleepovers where you told me

i was your favourite person

in a house that is neither yours nor mine

in a place where it is not allowed 

to ache for girls like you

-

iv. i could have sworn your eyes were on me

as i played with plastic knives 

of our empty cafeteria

sitting on the damp grass that always clung to our skirts

and i know

i'm not a very good friend

i haven't seen you for a whole summer

and i know

i'm not the coolest human around

and i know

that my bones crack under the weight of unfamiliar happiness

and i don't know 

how to voice the terror

of you being my favourite person too

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:26 pm
InkWell38 wrote a review...

I love the visuals you give with these..."paint my fingers with fresh pomegranate / they stain the same, so let my head stay in your lap" "you cup my face and grin / like a soaring soul and suddenly / everything isn't so bad" it really takes me back to being in school, of being young and dealing with such new and heavy emotions and you portrayed that perfectly allowing the reader to feel it with you by being so descriptive.

one minor critique would be for the line "i could have sworn you eyes were on me" i believe you meant "your eyes"? that's all i noticed grammatically.

other than that i really enjoyed this and my favorite line is "we are just another branch of spring / looking up."

really well done i enjoyed this very much thank you for sharing!!

yumkit says...

i've only just noticed the 'your eyes' part and i think i can correct it (i hope?) thank you so much for reading and reviewing!

InkWell38 says...

yep! i think you can edit it, probably just an oversight i've done that so many times with my own work :) and you're welcome!!

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:07 pm
InkWell38 says...

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:06 pm
EvaR14 wrote a review...

These are honestly beautiful! My personal favourites are the second and third ones (can I also add that I retyped my favourites about 15 times, honestly it's so hard to pick) .

I'll definitely have to check out anything else you've written/will write.

Favourite lines:

"Your hands are warm and my fingers are cold / please don't find somebody new"
"Take your time, you say / and that was the prettiest thing anyone has ever told me"
"We can hear my chest bursting open / with glitter and sleepovers where you told me / I was your favourite person"
"and i don't know / how to voice the terror / of you being my favourite person too"

I don't know if the link between iii and iv with "favourite person" is intentional but either way it's beautiful. I'm so glad I read this.

In all the poems there's a sense of place which makes them feel more real and grounded. Honestly, they're so beautiful. Have a great day :)

yumkit says...

yesyesyes! they were intentional and i'm so happy you found the link, thank you so much for reading!

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:15 pm
Denizen says...

Wow, I love these.

I'm given such a sense of sombre nostalgia. I particularly love the second poem.

There are some minor issues grammatically-but other than that, the effect of your chosen vocabulary, how you have instilled hints of narrative within each poem, and the vivid yet gentle descriptions, is just wonderful.

yumkit says...

ah, the grammar does need correction...but thank you for reading and reviewing!

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:15 pm
Denizen wrote a review...

Wow, I love these.

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs