Still Untitled- Part 1!

by xXTheBlackSheepXx

this is my first story i've posted so i hope you all will like it! ANY reviews will be much appreciated (no matter how harsh! i actually like the harsh ones):)

There was no way to escape the sweltering heat of midday, and in the cloudless sky, the sun’s rays were relentless.

Rydia struggled to hold the bulky iron sword above her head. She imagined she would never get used to the weight. A small breeze blew a strand of sweaty hair from her face. The rigorous training that was being assigned to her and her classmates was really pushing them to their limits. She knew it would be hard at first, but thought that by now it would at least be getting easier. Her aching muscles have been unbearably sore ever since the program started a few months ago.

The instructor for this particular session was walking among the lines of students and checking posture and sword angles. Rydia could feel her arms trembling under the weight of her sword, knowing she would get pointed down for it, but there was nothing she could do about it. She was at the end of her strength.

Sure enough, as the drill instructor proceeded down the lines of students, he stopped to pause in front of her.

“What do you call this?” he asked in his raspy voice, disappointment dripping with every word.

“Um, it’s a...” Rydia started.

He didn’t wait for a reply, but grabbed a firm hold of her wrist and yanked her arm upward. She tried desperately to hold the position, but the he didn’t look satisfied.

“Do the exercise for me.”

“Now?” Rydia asked unsurely, but he only gave her a menacing glare in reply. She realized that meant yes.

She brought her arm down (finally!) and then brought it up to chest level for the starting position. She started the moves; block, thrust, parry, spin, and just as she was bringing the blade up for the killer uppercut, it unexpectedly slipped from her sweaty grip and she fumbled, the sword clattering to the ground. Rydia cringed. This was a major mistake, she knew, and the instant her sword fell it felt like her heart went down with it. She was sure that by now everyone’s eyes were watching her. Probably relieved it wasn’t them, she thought to herself.

She hesitantly lifted her gaze to the instructor, not sure what she should do, but his face was expressionless and he held her gaze for an uncomfortable amount of time. Finally, his voice was low and quiet.

“Pick up your weapon.”

Rydia had forgotten her soreness momentarily in her fear, but felt it again as her muscles ached painfully as she bent down to retrieve her sword. She came back up quickly, and held it at attention.

“Take your break!” he called over his shoulder to the class, and they broke their stares and then went off in groups towards the shade. Rydia caught the eye of Darren, Ark, and Brooke, looking over at her worriedly before they walked off, but she knew better than to follow them. She stayed put, holding her sword at attention in front of the instructor.

“I don’t know what to do with you.” he said to her.

Rydia’s eyes snapped back to his. She felt angry. No one ever seemed to know ‘what to do with her’.

“Our new program,” he began, “is difficult, we know. But everyone seems to be handling it so far, don’t you think?”

She didn’t know what kind of question this was. What does he want of her? Why can’t he be clear?

“I suppose so.” She decided to say.

“Some are excelling, in fact. Some are doing not so well, but that is to be expected.”

He paused to give her another look.

“You, however, seem to be having trouble.”

He stared at her again, and she decided this time he was looking for a response so said,

“Yes, I have.”

“Do you have any idea why that might be?”

“Well...” Rydia paused for a moment, trying to choose her words carefully. “It’s too demanding. It’s too demanding and I can’t keep up.”

He didn’t look too pleased with her answer but asked,

“What’s wrong, exactly?”

“Um, I get tired. I follow every command but nothing seems to click.” It felt odd talking to him. She hadn’t ever talked so personally to an authority figure before. “The swords are really heavy,” she added dumbly.

“They aren’t even full swords! They are merely practice swords.” He said incredulously, “Your arms will get tired, of course, but they’re not very heavy.”

Rydia shrugged. He put no effort into hiding a loud, exasperated sigh.

“Perhaps you haven’t been following the programs correctly.” He suggested.

Another flare of anger shot up inside the pit of Rydia’s stomach. Was he trying to convince her or himself?! All these people are hopeless. She wished he would’ve at least taken her out of the sun. She was feeling lightheaded….

“Well you certainly haven’t been succeeding," he continued, "I really don’t like to see students fall behind in my classes. I don’t have the patience for them.” He gave her another one of his disapproving glances. “I will see what I can do about you. I’m thinking you will have to be assigned to a different program.”

Rydia certainly wasn’t expecting his last statement. Her eyes snapped back to his again, wide with surprise.

“Am I failing that badly?”

Even more to her surprise, he burst out laughing. She waited for his answer, but soon realized that was his answer. She felt as if her blood was boiling beneath her skin. Vaguely, she wondered how far the man planned on infuriating her; she didn’t think there was much more she could take until she snapped. If this was anybody else, she would have no problem hurling a volley of unladylike words at them, but as the circumstances were, this person was not just one of her peers. Suddenly, all the hatred stopped as she was overcome by a splitting headache. She winced badly, but the instructor didn’t notice; he was too busy clutching his chest as he threw his head back in fits of husky laughter. Rydia waited patiently until he was finished and then met his eyes with a glare. He seemed embarrassed for a split second as he realized she wasn’t joking, but then returned to normal.

“Yes.” He finally answered.

“I’ve been trying my hardest,” she pleaded, “I really have!”

He ignored that.

“I’ll talk to the other commanders and see what they have to say. I’ll let you know if your schedule will change.” And before she could get another word in, he turned his head and shouted, “Break’s over! Everyone back to their spots!” and everyone hurriedly got up and jogged over, getting back into their places on the field. This time, Rydia gave him the incredulous stare, but he seemed to not notice. “You too,” he added gruffly, and then turned to take his place at the front of the class.

~*~*~*~*~*~

LexiconDevil wrote:
xXTheBlackSheepXx wrote:yes, i get what you mean. i suppose i could change the name for copyright's sake, but it will always be rydia in my head. i wasn't planning on getting this published- i need MUCH more work on my grammar obviously, and this was mainly a practice story.

Honestly, I'm the type of person to base characters on pre-existing ones--in fact, I do it a lot. The thing is, though, you need to let your characters grow away from that. The first step to doing that for me is to rename them. When I rename them, it gives them a new identity.

Say I base a character on a pre-existing person--let's just say Johnny Depp for this example. When I think of the story and what the character does, I'm always going to think of the character as Johnny, even if he doesn't have Johnny Depp's life and is only based off of him. If I rename the character to something like Russell or Dirk, though, then it gives the character an identity--I think of them as Dirk or Russell, not Johnny.

Usually by the end of the transformation, the only thing that resembles the person or character I started with is outer appearances (and sometimes that gets changed, too) and a few mannerisms. The rest of the character is completely their own person, and I could never substitute Johnny for Dirk ever again in my mind.

So to me it's more than just copyright you need to worry about. You need to worry about making this character more than a clone of a pre-existing character--which she'll do on your own. You just have to let her. :] First step to doing that is giving her a new identity.

well, i wouldn't say that i based her off the character- i really was only thinking of the name. the only other similarity they have is that they are both girls and both can use swords; my character not so much. i see where you're coming from, about giving her a different name. yes, i think i can manage that. it may take me a while to think a good one up, though, so for now i will leave it as is. thanks for the advice, it helps. i'm really thinking about changing the name now. maybe the new name will inspire me a little more.

do you have any advice on the story?

LexiconDevil says...

Ace Markaa wrote:A lot of other writers have the same issues, code names or types on which their characters are based on for inspiration. This is how those 'who would play who' brainstorming sessions work. If I said Christopher Walken should play the villain you can probably get away with having 'Walken' being the name of the villain right up until you publish. Just as if I said, read this dialogue in the voice of Gilbert Goddfried.

"You are now reading this in my voice, if you know me that is. I'd use a picture, but I cannot be troubled with such things. Is it wrong, not really, but you know, it is not really such a big deal when you think about it. Just remember to fix it if you publish."

Several of you may want to kill me, but you will read YWS in his voice from now on.

yes, i get what you mean. i suppose i could change the name for copyright's sake, but it will always be rydia in my head. i wasn't planning on getting this published- i need MUCH more work on my grammar obviously, and this was mainly a practice story.

Ace Markaa says...

A lot of other writers have the same issues, code names or types on which their characters are based on for inspiration. This is how those 'who would play who' brainstorming sessions work. If I said Christopher Walken should play the villain you can probably get away with having 'Walken' being the name of the villain right up until you publish. Just as if I said, read this dialogue in the voice of Gilbert Goddfried.

brass: thanks for the suggestion :) the paragraph with the 'she's' have been anonymously terrible so i will get right on that. thanks for reading!

brassnbridle wrote a review...

The grammer mistakes I saw have already been mentioned, but I wanted to tell you I like your story idea. It caught my interest and by the end I was wanting to know what happened next.
The biggest problem, I think, was the repeated starting a sentence with'she'. It got boring and made the writing seem boring as well. I'd suggest replacing some of them with her name, or reworking the sentance so it starts different, or something.
Good luck!

To Jet: thanks so much for ripping me apart! :) no really, it was very helpful! i was unsure about how a lot of the grammar was supposed to be, and that one paragraph were i put all the 'she's' i really wanted to know if that would work out. i will change that (and many other things!) asap. thanks again for such an honest and thorough review :)

To Winter: to answer your question, i was going for a sci fi/fantasy type deal. it was supposed to be that these children (and teens) live at a government-run city away from all other parts of civilization. in secret, they have been training them for war combat. but by the way things have been going, it might not turn out quite like expected. my story's been turning into a mess, and medieval swords aren't really my thing. i'm glad you liked it, though. I'm trying to give my writing a bit of CPR and revive it...

To Lexicon Devil: about the Instructor Haldan business- i didn't want to give him a name at all! but because i had to find different ways to say 'the instructor said', i decided to give him a name. truth is, i didn't want him to become any sort of character, and i wanted him to make the impression that the instructors were uncaring and harsh. i will try to find a way to delete the name. :) also, i will take a deeper look into my grammar. thanks for all your help :)

To Ronnok: thank you! again with the 'she's', i thought that felt wrong but i wasn't sure. that's what good old YWS is here for! i'm happy you liked it. if you want, i could send you a PM when (if) i get other parts posted.

and last but not least, Ace Markaa: i feel horrible having to admit it, but that's where i got the name from. *covers head with arms in shame* i love the character, the name, and well i couldn't get it out of my head when i was thinking for a name. i HATE it when people take others' ideas, but i couldn't picture her with any other name. i figured it was just a name, and if it matters at all, i didn't steal anything else.

well, that's all of you so far! i'll be checking up on this to see any new reviews, and will be making changes, so keep reading! :)

Ace Markaa wrote a review...

Biggest issue with this is the name for me.

Rydia is the famous, cute and weak-willed girl from Final Fantasy 4. The name is so unusual and so iconic I have difficulty seeing your character as your own. I almost thought this was a fanfic.

The notes on here are so far so good, and I cannot really get a gauge on the setting since this is just a piece, but it couldn't have hurt. You focus a bit too much on dialog and emotions, try to bring up the descriptions to that level.

Overall, it was fluid and worked. Good job.

Ronnok wrote a review...

Hey. I like your story alot. The splitting headache and blood boiling beneath her skin...and her being unable to keep up with sword skills. I think i know where this is going :D

In the first paragraph, not the prologue,

Rydia struggled to hold the bulky iron sword above her head. She imagined she would never get used to the weight. She tried to enjoy a small breeze that blew a strand of her sweaty hair from her face. She (and the rest of the students) had been assigned rigorous training in the last month. She knew it would be hard at first, but thought that by now it would be getting easier. She had felt unbearably sore ever since they assigned the schedule.

notice almost every sentence starts with she. Sounds a bit...strange so i think you should change it.

I am intrigued about just what is going to happen next or in the near future to Rydia. Ill be keeping an eye out for more.

LexiconDevil wrote a review...

The instructor for this particular practice, Instructor Haldan(...)

I notice that you don't really use his name that much, but instead call him "the instructor." Just as a rule of thumb, it's best that when you introduce a character with his name, you should continue to use that name consistently, otherwise there's no point in us knowing his name. Do they really use instructor as a title, as well? It seems a bit awkward to me.

“Umm it’s a...” Rydia started.

"Um, it's a..." would be more grammatically correct.

“I don’t know what to do with you.” He said to her.

"I don't know what to do with you," he said to her. "He said to her" can't be its own sentence, since it's referencing to what's in the quotations.

Whoops, you switch tenses in the middle of that paragraph, I'm afraid. It should be What did he want of her? Why couldn't he be clear? Also, "What did he want of her?" is a bit awkward--I would probably say "what did he want FROM her?"

“I suppose so.” She decided to say.

"I suppose so," she decided to say. Same thing going on here.

He looked at her again, and she decided this time he was looking for a response so said,

I'm sort of confused about why you left what "she said" up to the next paragraph. It would make some sense if you had used a colon instead of a comma, but as it is, you don't need to make what she says into a separate paragraph at all.

In fact, my general rule of thumb when it comes to dialogue is that I only separate into paragraphs when there's a new speaker. Basically, when one character is talking continuously, I'll keep every part of that first character's dialogue into one tight paragraph, and then I start a new paragraph once the original gets too big or the second character speaks.

It's an acceptable start, but you would benefit from some more description. It would help me as a reader to get a better idea of what world this is, what Haldan looks like, etc. etc. Honestly, I imagined the whole thing looking like a boot camp, with Haldan as a drill-instructor, fit with a sharp olive-colored uniform and sunglasses... which I don't think is the image you were going for at all, considering they were all talking about swords. You don't need to over-describe, but it'd be nice to get an idea of what type of world this is where girls are training with swords in special programs, since it's obviously not our own, right?

I think you have a very interesting scene going on here, though, and the story looks very promising. I feel this can be an interesting beginning scene, so maybe you should just rewrite it again and see where it takes you--just give us more imagery so us readers can become immersed in the story. :]

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:29 am
Winter_A says...

I like it but then again i am very new to this. My grammar is horrible but the people here sound like they are going to whip me into shape. What type of story is this?

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:12 am
Jetpack wrote a review...

Hey there! Glad to see you've started posting your work. It's a lot less terrifying the second time, believe me. I'm quite a picky reviewer, though - don't take it personally. First off, I'll just tell you to capitalise your title, and spell "untitled" correctly! You'll get more readers.

Right, before I go into nitpicking, I really need to go through your speech punctuation. It's a bit of a mess, in all honesty. It's a mistake a lot of young writers make, but fortunately it's one of those that's fairly easy to fix. You just learn the rules. I'll give you a few examples. I apologise if you already know all of this, because you seem to be correct some of the time, but it's never a bad thing to go over these rules again.

“Take your break!” He called

Now, "he" should not be capitalised. You never capitalise speech tags, because it's just a continuation of the sentence. If you start a new sentence with "he called", the reader thinks, 'He called what?' So this should read as follows.

"Take your break!" he called...

This is along the same lines. Remember what I said about the speech tag being a continuation of the sentence? That means you can't put a full stop/period before one, either, because it makes no sense. This should read...

"I don't know what to do with you," he said to her.

“Well,” Rydia paused for a moment, trying to choose her words carefully, “It’s too demanding. It’s too demanding and I can’t keep up.”

This time, however, you aren't continuing the sentence. "Rydia paused for a moment, etc" is a sentence unto it's own right, and someone can't "pause" dialogue in the same way that they can whisper it, shout it, or speak it. Therefore "Rydia paused" is not a speech tag, and should be separated from the dialogue.

"Well..." Rydia paused for a moment, etc etc.

I've put ellipses in to make the dialogue flow better, but you could have used a full stop there too. Basically, you need to start a new sentence.

Here's where it gets more complicated.

“Well...” Rydia paused for a moment, trying to choose her words carefully, “It’s too demanding. It’s too demanding and I can’t keep up.”

This is where my expertise gets a little rusty, but I've been using this website and it's confirmed my hunch (scroll down to point number 5 on that page if you want to see the information I used).

Basically, the first quote here is correct. You've continued the sentence in the dialogue, so therefore you use commas to separate the speech tag. There's no full stop involved.

The second quote needs more attention, because you've used the comma splice. We've already establised that "Rydia paused" is not a speech tag and therefore you can't use a comma before it. That means you need to change that comma after "carefully" to a full stop, because the dialogue is not all one sentence. If that's confusing, check out the website link I gave you and hopefully it should clear some stuff up.

Finally:

“Um, I get tired. I follow every command but nothing seems to click,” it felt odd talking to him, she hasn’t ever talked so personally to authority figures before, “The swords are really heavy,” she added dumbly.

This is where all the rules I've talked about come together. As you've punctuated this, it's all one big run-on sentence, and clearly there are some separate sentences in here. You slip tenses once as well. This is how it should read.

"Um, I get tired. I follow every command but nothing seems to click." It felt odd talking to him. She hadn't ever talked so personally to an authority figure before. "The swords are really heavy," she added dumbly.

Okay, well, that was a bit longer than I'd anticipated. Use that website if you need any more advice, and hopefully I have everything all right, because that really would be a disaster. It's easily fixed, punctuation, as I said earlier. Just follow the rules. Check back through this and correct your mistakes, because it'll help you remember for the future.

Okay, we can finally move on to your prose! Yay! Now, as you've probably guessed, characters and plot aren't really my strong points; I much prefer grammar and punctuation and just general writing skills. So that's what I focussed on when I read this through. Here's something I noticed in one of the early paragraphs.

Look at those sentences. All of them, except the first one, start with "she". One of the first rules of writing I learned in primary school (elementary, if you're American) was that you must try to avoid starting sentences with the same word more than twice in a row. It makes the whole story very boring for the reader, who notices these things in his or her subconscious if not directly, and is put off. You do this several times throughout the story, so go back through and try to vary the sentence structure. You'd be amazed and how much of a difference it makes.

To follow on from that point, I'll mention the lack of showing. You tell us a lot, and your narrative is quite bland. There's nothing here to make me remember the story - it's all written uniformly. I wouldn't say add too much more description, because that wouldn't fit as well, but try to liven it up a bit! Sentence structure will help you here, but also the dialogue.

Yes, dialogue. Sorry to go back to it, but this time it's in a different context; I'm not going to talk about your punctuation, but just the wording. Let's take this example here.

“Some are excelling quite well, in fact. Some are doing not so well, but that is to be expected.”
He paused to give her another look.
“You, however, seem to be having much trouble.”
“Yes, I have.”

There are a few unnecessary words in here which make the instructor sound foreign. I've crossed them out here, and now I'll rewrite it. If you read the two versions through, you'll see the difference. There's also some issues with the sentences in general. I've highlighted those, and in this rewrite, sorted them out. Again, I hope you can see the difference.

"Some are excelling, in fact. Others are not doing as well, but that is to be expected." He paused to give her another look. "You, however, seem to be having trouble."
He looked at her again, and she decided his time he was looking for a response.
"Yes, I am."

And as I was rewriting that, I've remembered one last point I wanted to make. You overused "look". Even in that paragraph alone, you've used it three times. Use CTRL+F on your MS Word and search for "look", and it'll show you just how many times you use it. The instructor is constantly looking at her, Rydia's looking at him looking, they're giving each other looks... It goes on. Now, "look" is quite an easy word to replace, since it has a lot of synonyms. Don't go overboard with the thesaurus, but words like "glance" and "stare" will help here.

Now, that was quite a big review, but I liked the scene you have here. However, before it can be good, you have to do the basic grammar and punctuation corrections. Errors like the ones you've made put readers off. Oh, and don't stop posting work because I was a bit harsh. You don't seem like the type who would do that anyway, so I'll just wish you good luck. PM me if you have any questions, or if I misread something, or if you need any more advice on your writing.

- Jet.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 am

thanks so much! i was a little worried about my first post- you never know what people will think! :) i actually have a lot more on this story but i've been proofreading and proofreading it until i figured id have my best work. thanks for reading! :)

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:09 am
Forestqueen808 wrote a review...

Wow! I really loved that! I mean everyone thinks, oh I'd rock at swordfighting, it can't be that hard! But it probably is! And you're writing really shows that. I'm excited to read more. I was thinking of a name but I couldn't get one from the first chapter, so just keep writing and it will come to you!

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.