12+

Sometimes

by GLaDOS

Sometimes I grab a knife and hold the blade to my wrist,

Sometimes I think it’s best if I didn’t exist,

But I never asked for your opinion,

So why are you trying to stop me?

~

Sometimes I look in the mirror thinking I’m insane,

Sometimes I find it right to be soaked by the rain,

But the rain cannot solve my problems,

The rain can only drown with me,

~

So there I go,

Cutting cutting,

Until my wrist cascades with blood,

~

And here I stay,

Cutting cutting,

There is no other way,

~

Sometimes it’s best to drown in sorrow,

Knowing you are a mistake,

But is it best to tell me,

That I’m going to shatter and break?

~

And someday,

I’m going to fracture,

And no one will care enough to fix me.

donizback wrote a review...

Well, it's review day and my day! haha
I usually write a lot of review, fairly quickly, on this day. So, let's start!

On the first glance on your poem, I feel like it's really not my type. No matter what happens, how hard life becomes, I'd never do anything what the character in your poem is trying to do.

Also, the structure here isn't really what it should be. You did a great job in making it neater though. But, there's a secret I wanna disclose. Press the "shift" key along with the "enter" key to bring the sentences closer and make a stanza. Try it! I hope you'll like it too.

That's pretty much for the structure and the basic outline. Let's get to the actual poem itself.

But I never asked for your opinion,

So why are you trying to stop me?

Now this stanza has got those slight punctuation errors. You see? You need an exclamation mark or a period after the first two sentences. The commas doesn't suit this. A semicolon may help but don't overuse it!

The third sentence could have been made something like, "But I have not asked for your opinion," At least that's how I feel it should sound like.

Let's now look at the second stanza.

Well, the same mistake. Using commas instead of other punctuation marks.

The rain can only drown with me,

Two errors here.
1. The stanza doesn't end with a comma. Please avoid using too many commas.
2. The sentence is grammatically wrong. Somehow, I am really unable to understand what you meant by it. I am sorry about that.

The commas are excessively used and I hope you avoid using them more that you should be. Overall, it is a super dark poem and I really wonder, at this age, how can you come up with such ideas? It's reality though.

Finally, I would say that I was an amazing poem. Other than those few nitpicks, I really liked it a lot. You have a great potential to become a great poet. Keep writing, good luck and do let me know if you need any help. :)

sagnik wrote a review...

This is too violent a poem. i think that this should be an autobiography of an extremely depressd man. however the rash tone of narrating is what i admire in this poem. U R A GREAT pOET BUT MORE AN ORATIST.cUTTING VEINS and overflowing blood and encountering death is what i think likes. this is manly poem filled with violence and anxiety. are urself depressed?Else this cannot come out

xJupiter says...

No I'm not depressed. This is not about me.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:24 pm
MSSheikh wrote a review...

Hello there, Mahnoor here for a review..

I have never seen any poems written before on this particular topic. In your poem, you talk about a broken soul, a person who is saddened by what life has to offer, and he has no other way but to kill himself. I loved the way you started
"Sometimes I grab a knife and hold the blade to my wrist,"
The statement holds a sense of urgency, and ultimately draws a reader's attention, which is a very important thing- to draw your reader's attention.

Secondly, I like the way you write. You have made everything very clear, yet there are tenuous clouds of mystery spread all over your text(which is a very good thing).

However, I believe that this whole thing could have been more impactful and influential given that you have had used stronger, more impacting words.

All in all, it's a good thing you have written, just practice more on your vocabulary and the way you choose your words(choice of words can make a big difference).

This is my favorite stanza from your poem,

Sometimes It’s best to drown in sorrow,

Knowing you are a mistake,

But is it best to tell me,

That I’m going to shatter and break?

(Very good!)

Keep writing! :)

xJupiter says...

Wow, thank you very much for the review. You see, I don't have an extended vocabulary, so I've been trying to use a thesaurus for my poems. But anyway, I appreciate your review! ^.^

MSSheikh says...

You're welcome!
I'll be looking forward to more from you :)

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 pm
Que wrote a review...

Hey xJ,
I just wanted to stop in for a review. First off, this was a great piece, I loved the flow and just generally the presentation of the topic.
A few small capitalization errors I found:

Sometimes I think It’s best If I didn’t exist,

It's and if do not need to be capitalized.

There Is no other way,

Is doesn't need capitalization.

Sometimes It’s best to drown in sorrow,

Again, it's does not need the capitalization.

Until my wrist gushes out with blood,

I just felt like there might be a slightly better way to say this, like taking away "out" or some other arrangement. It just seemed slightly strange as I read it.

You used commas a lot, but I don't think you needed to put them everywhere that you did. Just look it over and see which ones you really need to have included there.

Other than that, great job! You expressed the topic well, and the last line was great, with the narrator thinking that no one cares. I'll be reading some more of your works now!

Write on,
-Falco

xJupiter says...

I edited it, and took your advice. Thank you ^.^

Que says...

You're welcome. Cascades sounds very good in that line. :)

xJupiter says...

I thought it would :P

Que says...

*applauds* Beautiful.

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung