12+

Faith - Chapter Five

by willachilles

Faith

A story about time, faith, and love

CHAPTER Five

Incorrectly installed RAM, incorrectly installed RAM. I saved the image onto the camera, so I could further examine it at home.

"That's a nice project you've got going there." The same deep voice resonated behind me. "Police boxes, huh? We didn't even use them back in my day! But I like what I see there, Charles."

"Thank you Mr Gordon!" I didn't seem to understand why he was being so nice. He usually wasn't like this. I logged off the computer and picked up my camera and diary, acting like nothing was wrong. The truth was the opposite: everything was wrong.

How could I be in that image?! I walked out the library, flashing a smile to the librarian. I was the one that took the photo, yet I was in that stupid box?! Taking a left turn down the stairs, I walked to the English block. This is impossible! It would have to be some sort of camera glitch.

"Hey Charles." It was Alexis. "Did you do your English homework?" The thoughts almost instantly vanished as I was dragged into the conversation with her.

*****

They had come back at lunch, and also in 6th period. Once it started, it never stopped. The thoughts in my brain, that is. The thoughts in your brain, that is. It's because of how complicated and deep this whole scenario was, y'know? Me, taking an image. Then looking at it over 7 years later, and seeing myself in the background. If that isn't freaky, I don't know what is.

While walking back home, I tried not to think about it. But what could I do? It was only human to think about it, right? But even when I did think about it, nothing made sense. I decided to tune out of the world, and hear and smell the sounds of nature around me.

The robin redbreasts singing their songs, like a natural whistle, blowing to soothe the ears of the bypassers. The trees, slightly swaying side to side, pushing a breeze straight into my nose. The cyclic wheezing, groaning noise of the industry. Thinking about it, I never actually saw where that noise came from. I just inferred it was coming from the industry.

So this is what they call paranoia, huh? The feeling surrounded me like I was standing in the center of a waterfall. I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all.

*****

The loan had taken place, and our first ever shop opened. It was right next to the industrial area, near where the car wash is right now. Twas to be the cafe of the street. Twas to be 'the thing.' In the start, it was working. Working quite well, actually. The workers would stop on their way in the morning to buy a skim cap or a latte and then go on their way to work. The basis of it was: who wasn't a little drowsy in the morning?

But then it all went wrong. We were in the black with our profits. For some reason, it just...didn't work. We had tried to figure out what was wrong - was it the location of the shop, was our menu too little, were our prices too high? We tried thinking like a customer, figuring out what we could change to make our shop better.

In the end, we had to pay the rent for it out of our loan. And that wasn't good. What was meant to become a success became a failure.

*****

I knew Abba was a painstakingly hard-working man, and to help him, one day I wanted to cook a meal for him. I didn't check my diary if I had any homework. This was more important than that. Instead of going straight home, I continued to the commercial area and bought the ingredients I needed.

Pasta...lasagna...yeah, let's stick with pasta. I chuckled at the joke I just made in my head. The walk home was one of anticipation. I was planning everything I was going to, step by step. The pan, boil the water, add the mushrooms to the sauce... When I unlocked the door to the house, I knew everything I needed to do.

Cooking was a very sensual procedure. The smell of it, oh the smell of cooking. Whether it be Thai, Indian, or any cuisine - you couldn't smell it without getting hungry yourself. The crackle of the bacon in the morning, the sizzle of the vegetables, bathing in sauces. The sight of the final product. I almost felt like a chef after seeing the pasta I had just made.

Dad was going to come soon. He had a very regimented procedure to his life. And come to think about it, so do I. No you don't Charles. Sometimes I just felt like punching my thoughts in the face. Do thoughts have a face?

I can barely put into words how happy I saw Abba that evening. Like...like someone stole all the stars from the night sky and plopped them into our house. Conversation was great that night. We endlessly talked about endless topics.

"Hey, Abba," I started.

"Yeah?" His smile was so wide, I could see his back teeth!

"The day you came home early with news of Grandpa..." I hoped I wouldn't ruin the mood.

"Yeah..." Things were starting to get awkward. I could feel it.

"Where did our car go?" It has been bugging me for the past few days: where is our car? It wasn't there on the day I quit my job, and it still isn't here.

"Ah, that's a story I forgot to tell you." He slurped up his remaining pasta and paused before continuing. "When I got news of Grandpa from the hospital, I decided to take the day off work. I...couldn't really concentrate after that anyways, so what was the point, right?"

I nodded. "And when I was coming back, my driving wasn't that great either." I could see where this was going. "I was coming out of the industry area when I saw a couple walking across the street. And I didn't want to hit them, so what did I do?"

"You veered off to the left?"

"Yeah, I did. Maybe a little too far though...I crashed the car."

I laughed along with him.

"He called himself The Doctor. He liked my bowtie, and his last words are still stuck in my ears."

I waited. 

"Bowties are cool."

Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! Let's dive right into it. :D

Stuff I liked:

The Doctor's finally shown up! Yay! And it's 11! (He's my favorite.)

And your mention of the TARDIS noise was so subtle - I didn't even catch it the first time around!

I also really liked that Charles decides to cook a meal for Abba because he's having a hard time. It's one of those nice gestures that I really like to see characters do.

And your description of cooking is making me hungry. :P

On the Doctor's appearance.
I really want to know who he was with. I'm assuming either Amy or Clara. A little description would go a long way here!

Something that doesn't make sense - the way Abba told it, it seemed like he swerved and crashed the car, and then somehow started talking to the Doctor after that, but no mention of the Doctor or his companion being concerned about the crash. Fleshing out the story a bit more would help, since the transition between Abba describing the crash to telling Charles about the Doctor just reads oddly. Something as simple as saying the Doctor came over to make sure Abba was all right would make everything run smoother.

And I agree with previous reviewers that they should be more upset at the loss of the car. Unless they're so sure they're goners in the financial department that they can't bring themselves to care anymore.

Also, to readers, "Bowties are cool" is a very significant line, but it wouldn't mean anything to Abba, especially since Abba is probably rather annoyed that he just crashed the car. It just doesn't seem likely that the words would hold enough significance for him for his words to be "still stuck in my ears."

And I really want to know why the Doctor is hanging around in Charles' life!

The Photo
Something just occurred to me - he took that photo several years ago, but the Charles in the picture is the age he is right now, right? So wouldn't he realize that it was his older self in the picture? That would just add to his questions - instead of "how did I take a picture of myself," it'd be "how did present me get back there?

Other

We were in the black with our profits.

I think you got this mixed up here. If you're in the black, that means you're making enough money to at least break even. "In the red" is probably what you were referring to.

And that's all I've got for you! Your descriptions are great, and I love Charles' sarcastic thoughts. I'll review the next part soon!

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:42 am
OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hello there chapter 5. It’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance.

Things I liked;

Oh goody gumdrops. I knew that strict teacher wasn’t going anywhere soon.

The thoughts almost instantly vanished as I was dragged into the conversation with her.
- I like this line a lot. It’s a good way to end a scene without falling asleep or falling down a hole or something. This is nice and original and that’s always a good thing.

The CAR! I’d forgotten about that pesky car. Where did it go? However, wouldn’t they be a bit more upset about the fate of the car? They’re low on money and that’s a big thing to lose.

Things I think you could improve;

Your days move very quickly. I know you want to focus on the main events of your story i.e the photos. But sometimes you need to add some of the more boring parts to drop some useful background information in. You could have Charles daydreaming in French class etc. Or pondering over whether to tell his Dad about the photos whilst he’s sat in the lunch hall.

I don’t think you need a break between explaining about the loan and then cooking a meal for his Father. It’s kind of all connected so you could keep that all together.

Fantastic? I think yes.
- This sounds odd to me. Its up to you of course, but I would leave it out. You’re bordering again on breaking that fourth wall.

Chapter Six Six Six!

Olive <3

willachilles says...

THIS IS THE PART OF ME-

Sorry. Katy's in my head.

Thanks for your review! Fifth one in a row! Wow. You're going to be in the lead for #RevMo I bet ya. *checks* Oh...CONGRATS! Keep em reviews going!

Back to the review...I don't really have much to say. Your points are all valid. And I'll change them fo sure!

-willa

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 pm
artybirdy wrote a review...

I saved the image onto the camera, so I could further examine it at home.

Before this sentence, I’d like a realistic reaction from Charles upon seeing the message, “Incorrectly Installed RAM”. Perhaps, he sighs in frustration or smacks the keyboard.
I didn't seem to understand why he was being so nice.

He could also be confused about why Mr Gordon was still behind him.
It was Alexis.

Who was Alexis? How did she look like? How did they meet? This gives you a chance to develop their character.
You see, once it started, it never stopped. The thoughts in your brain, that is.

Once again, you have shifted from first person to second person. Try: Once it started, it never stopped. The thoughts in my brain, that is.

I don’t understand why you suddenly talk about the loan and how it led them to this strained financial situation. It feels odd. If this is important for us to know, Charles could see something, perhaps a little cafe, that reminds him of the past.

"His called himself The Doctor.

“His” should be “he”.

I waited.

This feels too short and quick. Perhaps, you should add another sentence or two to prolong the suspense.

Overall, you have often switched from past to present tense and vice versa. I liked how you described his surroundings when he was walking home and the pasta he cooked.

Well done, and keep writing!

willachilles says...

Thank you so much for the review! Special thanks, as you followed on with my book.

artybirdy says...

No problem! I enjoyed it. :D

ChocolateCello wrote a review...

Hey! Cello here!

I'm here to save you from the green room! (Happy review day!)

So, I've been keeping up with this story (I really hope you write some more soon) and I really love it. Every chapter adds something new. Everything is moving at a perfect pace, not moving too fast or slow.
I'm really pumped to see what happens next, (I'm hoping we see the doctor in the next chapter?).
The characters personality keep consistent, which I've noticed a lot of people struggle with, and 'Charles's character has been developed beautifully, not dumping his whole personality on the reader at once but adding more and more to him with every one of his thought or *Forgets how to english* speaks... Ugh, sorry, I'm 'reviewed out' and I haven't even done that many, my point it every time Charles speaks, thinks, or acts, it adds to his character very nicely.

Also loved the last line, really got me excited for the next part. Ahhhh!

Okay, crappy review, sorry...

Keep up the awesomeness!
-ChocolateCello
(I recommended this story to a friend too)

willachilles says...

Hello Cello!

I uhh...well...am not sure I will write more of this Of course I'm going to write more of this! This story has quite a few followers, and I don't want to disappoint.

Thanks for all the nice things you said about my story! :P :P :D :)

'Bowties are cool.'

-willachilles

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:22 pm
Eros wrote a review...

Hey Willa!!

Here is Eros to review your beautiful work!!

I read the previous chapters on Faith. They were really great and they contained a real and hidden, unique beauty. All of them are very nicely written.This one is a blasting piece too!
The main theme of your novel is really going very well.The title is very apt and appropriate. And... I am left speechless as to what more should I say about this moving novel.
And yes, the dialogues are spread like spices in between and it sounds very beautiful. And the most important thing is-- your presentation. Its is very nice. You presented your novel with all the chapters in a regular and nice format. It is again a plus point in your chapters.
Continue writing Willa!
You are doing GREAT!!
Wonderful!!
and I must say
Mindblowing!!!

willachilles says...

Thank you so much!!

You are such a nice person Eros! Thanks for the review (my works don't seem to gain that much reviews, so this is a first)!

I never really get commented on my presentation, so...THANKS!

Bollywood gif...just for you.

Eros says...

You are very very welcome dear Willa! I just tried to put a spotlight on the beautiful points in your works and I could not see any flaw in it
:D

ChocolateCello says...

AHHH YESSS

(Btw- thanks for adding a catchphrase because I've read a bunch of doctor who stories where they're like 'he had dark hair and a coat on' and I'm like ummmmm that can describe nine ten or eleven so...)

but yeah... AWESOME

willachilles says...

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you liked it. And yeah, I wanted to put a catchphrase in because one, it would make suspense and two, only the reader knows who he is :D

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf