12+

The Theory of Relativity

by waywardxwanderer

Francis Norman was a local radio host and human being. The first was a given: One could hear it in the way he spoke and how he hummed along with what was said to him. One could see it in the way his eyes were ever searching for something to comment on and how he took command of any conversation he was a part of. One could see it in the way that, even if his smile fled his face, it lingered in his voice, appeasing and false. The second was widely debated, and even Francis himself wasn’t sure it was true. It was what he had, though, so he made do.

Today, as with every other, he sat on a ledge and looked out into the expanse of the cosmos. His pinstriped suit and fedora draped askance, his well-shined shoes and too-white teeth glinted in the starlight, and his gentle humming of some jaunty tune he’d played on the radio earlier echoed through the otherwise soundless void. He somehow both clashed with the swirling galaxies he sat before and blended in perfectly.

Late last night, he’d scrolled through Wikipedia for hours. His back held the ghost of an ache from curling up under the covers unmoving, reading of exotic tortoises, memorable plagues throughout history, Barbie dolls. Most of these articles went through one ear and out the other—or in his case, through his eyes and back out in the form of small tears when he yawned. One stuck with him, though, and it was this that he pondered as he looked into the abyss.

Einstein’s Theory of Relativity says that space, time, and motion are not individual concepts, but a foamy substance called space-time. It moved as one before him now, swirling, grinning without mouth or eyes at his confusion, his brain’s gentle trickle of sand. What he looked into was not nothing, but the culmination of everything. Francis couldn’t help but wonder if he was part of this everything.

Francis Norman did not sleep. This was one reason why the locals were unsure of his humanity. He sometimes laid in bed, sure, and dreams and visions swirled through his head, but he never broached the boundary of consciousness. Sleeping took too much time, and time was one thing Francis did not often have to spare. He spent his time in a small, cluttered room down at the radio station and spoke to the people throughout the day and into the night. In his free time, he strolled around the town, watched television, or sat at the edge of this everything meeting everything.

Another reason was his past. When people asked him where he was from, who his parents were, if he’d been to the hospital, Francis could not answer. They thought he was being cryptic; he merely did not know. He only knew the radio station, the town, and the edge. He did not need anything else.

The last, most poignant reason was that he did not age. His hair stayed nut-brown and perfectly styled, and his forehead held no wrinkles. His voice was the boom of a younger man, and his hands remained unspotted. Francis figured that time moved fast enough around him—he dealt with time so constantly that perhaps he’d build up an immunity.

Time existed so, so much in the radio station. Reports flooded in, and he talked constantly of the latest tragedy, the latest joy, the latest whatever-the-day-happened-to-bring. Time did not exist here, though. He spent minutes here; he spent hours here. He did not know the difference between the two, nor did he want to. He merely existed, watching the sands of time tick by while his own were smelted into glass, unmoving.

Perhaps that was it. He was like this place, a dream, a wonder of the sky, a glorious mistake. Or perhaps he was merely a phantasm, and nothing, including time, could touch him. Or perhaps there was no explanation to it at all, and he just was.

But every day, calls flooded his telephone. Every day, he picked it up and spoke to a brand-new someone with a brand-new story or a brand-new take on the ever-shifting politics of everywhere. He was not tired—he did not sleep—but on these days, he imagined he could sympathize with those who were. A recent stabbing, a boy’s life saved, a burglary at a jewelry store. Time moved as boys ran as cars hurtled down the street. Time moved as knives slashed as people fell to the floor. Time moved as Earth spun as the universe grew larger and larger and larger.

A loud beep startled him, and he nearly pitched off into the great unknown. His watch; his alarm. It still worked here, he’d learned. As he was notably untethered to time, it was notably dependent on it. It beeped again, as if to say, It’s time to come home.

Francis picked up his suitcase and stood with the ease of either a young man or a timeless one. He turned with one last glance to the endless sky. It was alright; he would not miss it. He would be back tomorrow. 

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi waywardxwallflower,

You've got a really great style going here. I like your story and how you connect it with physics. This monotony that Francis experiences is I think the core of the story and how you can interpret it as a reader. I especially like how you write it with a light style, allowing the reader to think for themselves.

You have a very fluid style and I like the way you sometimes add climaxes and interject questions. This makes the whole story seem as if the reader is watching a kind of documentary where suddenly the fourth wall is broken. These short interjections give me as a reader a good indication of where you want to go with the plot.

Some points that struck me while reading:

Let's start with your introduction right away; I really like it. You put in a great humorous sentence without taking the whole story down the wrong path. I like the way you use the repetition of "one could", which is great. I noticed (and unfortunately it's on the third "One Could") that you use a different verb; first "hear", then both times "see". If you could manage to change the last (or second) "see" to "speak" it would make a really excellent connection. (I think these are these three monkeys, don´t see evil, don´t hear evil and don´t speak evil)

His pinstriped suit and fedora draped askance, his well-shined shoes and too-white teeth glinted in the starlight, and his gentle humming of some jaunty tune he'd played on the radio earlier echoed through the otherwise soundless void.

Actually, I would say here that the sentence is a bit too long, but with your wonderful description, I can't help but congratulate you. :D I like his clothes and one can really imagine Francis very well, as you wrote it. You've combined it with other means, which has a good effect on the reading flow.
His back held the ghost of an ache from curling up under the covers unmoving, reading of exotic tortoises, memorable plagues throughout history, Barbie dolls.

Looks a bit like my Wikipedia history when I'm bored. :D
through his eyes and back out in the form of small tears when he yawned.

Beautiful portrayal!
He spent minutes here; he spent hours here. He did not know the difference between the two, nor did he want to.

This is a matter of taste, but if you could add, "he spent days here", you could create a climax through your intensification, which can contribute to the stylistic representation of the plot.
He merely existed, watching the sands of time tick by while his own were smelted into glass, unmoving.

Another great description! Very philosophical.

Now, I didn't pay much attention to mistakes, and as far as I could see, you didn't have anything out of the ordinary here that could catch the reader's eye. I like how you created a very philosophical text, combined with realism and physics. I like it when you have texts like that, where you end up sitting there, thinking for yourself a little bit. Because I think that with the story you want to express how Francis lives a life of monotony, without being directly influenced by the lives of others and always just standing in the background, seeing what others are doing. Because of this seclusion, he can't age or build relationships, which is why he wonders what he is. I think there are people out there in the world who feel the same way, do exactly what Francis does, and only see rather than participate. You really did a great job with that.

I like how over the course of the plot, the narrator's voice continues to remain neutral, without favouring either side to let the reader make up their own mind.

A very unusual story! I liked it very much!

Mailice.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:51 am
blueca wrote a review...

The first thing to cross my mind as I read this was Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide and his interesting style. However, continuing to read revealed little elements that were most definitly yours. You were able to weave all these seemingly unrelated threads into a lovely little tapestry of story that only vaugley makes any kind of sense in the best way possible. It's a very unique read and a wonderful dive into the thoughts and life(?) of Francis. Well done.

Keep writing,
Blueca

this is literally the best comment I have ever received thank you so much

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 am
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey!

First of all, lemme just say, I loved this story. I read it right before I joined my physics class, so there's a coincidence!

Anyway, I really like your writing style, and how you weaved a story out of seemingly random elements.

I loved how Francis stayed up all night scrolling through Wikipedia, mainly 'cause I really relate to that.

This part was nice:

On the whole, it was a very enjoyable story.

Keep writing.

thanks so much!!

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro