z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Trip to Walmart (X-Men One-Shot)

by wakarimasen


This story is set in the same continuum as an upcoming X-Men fanfiction I am co-writing with fellow YWS-ers, IAmTraunt and Nightcrawler, in which we expand upon the character X-23/Laura Kinney.  The premise of this one-shot is: because she spent so many years in isolation, Laura isn't really certain about her identity, so she goes through a few phases and fads as she explores her individuality and tries to discover her true self.  (How sentimental, right?  It sounds like something out of Star Trek: Voyager. :P)  In this story, she's trying out being a girly-girl, which Wolverine thinks is an expensive hobby.

* * * *

Logan takes in my third armload of clothes as I dump them into an already overflowing pushcart.

"I don't know, kid," he says uncertainly. He holds up a fuzzy, pink sweater with a fuzzy, pink poodle stitched on the front and makes a face. "This doesn't suit you."

"Says the guy who wears flannel and jeans year-round," I retort.  But he's right; Kitty's always telling me I look better in winter colors.

I have to admit, though, Logan's been pretty resilient throughout this "brief" errand to Walmart. I took him through some considerably awkward aisles, where he received plenty of odd stares; he had this gloomy, Eeyore-like look on his face the whole time, but he didn't utter a word of complaint until now.

I suppose he had to say something before I make him poor at the checkout counter.

Logan asks, "Are we going to put some things back?"

"Fine." I dig through the cart's contents and pull out a few things to go back on their shelves. "This nail polish seemed a bit overpriced...."

I remove five small items, mostly hair accessories and cosmetics.

"Anything else?" He's beginning to sound impatient.

I take out two more shirts and a maxi skirt that's probably too long for me anyway. Despite my "uncharted regenerative capabilities," I'd rather not trip and fall down the stairs unnecessarily.

Logan sighs. You can practically see a rain cloud over his head now. "Let's go."

At the checkout counter, Logan grabs a pack of cigars and shows his ID card to the bored-looking cashier.

Her sleepy eyes stray to the cart I'm pushing, and they widen, not with glee at how rich Walmart's going to be when we're done, but annoyance as she reckons she'll have to bag it all.

"Are you two together?" She asks it almost beseechingly.

"Laura," Logan says warningly, "pick two things you must have and leave the rest."

The cashier, whose name tag says Hello, my name is Marta, heaves a huge sigh of relief as I reluctantly set a pair of cute jeans and a flannel shirt down on the conveyor belt. I won't freeze to death this winter in these.

....Wait, what?

"That'll be twenty-seven ninety-nine, please."

Logan fishes out his credit card from his wallet. "This stuff used to be cheaper ten years ago."

Marta puts on an unnaturally cheery smile. "You have a nice day, sir."

Logan sets off the metal detectors at the exit ... again. A little old lady checks our receipt, though, and lets us go after a while.

Logan stows the shopping bags in the back of his motorcycle before I climb on. As we leave the parking lot, I think I hear him mutter something over the deafening roar of the engine.

"What did you say?"

He doesn't repeat, but I'm pretty sure it was something about flannel and jeans.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 7831
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 pm
View Likes
ajruby12 says...



Hey! ajruby here from the Reviewing Ravens to review!

This really cheered me up, I must say. I love reading fan fics that I understand. :)

However, as much as I loved this, I found a couple things I'd like to point out.

1. You used a lot of "says" and "asks". Maybe try some variety of verbs. For example, " Logan asks, "Are we going to put some things back?" " Instead of asked, you could use " inquired, even through his irritation. " (Just makes it more interesting.)

2. (I love how in character you made Logan. It suits him very well.) But I think this could benefit with some more colorful adjectives. You have some very descriptive ones all ready, but in certain spots, it could use more.

Yet, over all, this was a delight and a joy to read! No grammatical or punctuation errors that I could see (yay for you!) and you were very creative in writing this! A definite like for this!

Keep on writing and may the reviews be ever in your favor!

-ajruby (The Silver Lady)




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 7831
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:26 pm
ajruby12 wrote a review...



Hey! ajruby here from the Reviewing Ravens to review!

This really cheered me up, I must say. I love reading fan fics that I understand. :)

However, as much as I loved this, I found a couple things I'd like to point out.

1. You used a lot of "says" and "asks". Maybe try some variety of verbs. For example, " Logan asks, "Are we going to put some things back?" " Instead of asked, you could use " inquired, even through his irritation. " (Just makes it more interesting.)

2. (I love how in character you made Logan. It suits him very well.) But I think this could benefit with some more colorful adjectives. You have some very descriptive ones all ready, but in certain spots, it could use more.

Yet, over all, this was a delight and a joy to read! No grammatical or punctuation errors that I could see (yay for you!) and you were very creative in writing this! A definite like for this!

Keep on writing and may the reviews be ever in your favor!

-ajruby (The Silver Lady)




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



'You can practically see a rain cloud over his head now.' - haha, this made me picture it as a comic book panel. Good work!

'....Wait, what?' - I don't really see her confusion. Presumably these would be clothes that would keep her nice and warm?

My only other problem is that I'm a little unsure about your tenses. I think it's the 'I'd'. It doesn't fit with the present tense in the rest of the story. Either change this to 'I took him through some considerably awkward aisles' or put the whole thing in past tense. I would recommend the first option. And review the rest of it. I couldn't put my finger on any other specific mistakes but I think there are some.

Onto praise. First of all, if you were to click on my name, you would see the wallpaper behind my profile is a giant picture of young Professor X and young Magneto. I am a huge X-Men fan (although I haven't gotten round to Last Stand yet). I am aware of much of the canon before though, so I think I have the authority to say: awesome!
You portray Logan perfectly. Especially his 'kid'.
Your tone and flow are great.
You may want to add a touch more setting.
Also, and this is just an idea, maybe you could refer briefly to something from the X-Men canon. It would have to be something that has already been resolved so that it doesn't have to be resolved in a one shot. I just think it would be a nice touch to ground this into the X-Men universe.

All in all, well done! :D

Oh, and this is my 150th review, so thank you for making the getting of my 4th star so much fun. :)




wakarimasen says...


Thanks for reviewing my story and congratulations on getting your fourth star!

*clicks "View Background Image* Oooh, awesome! I only saw the first movie, but I recognize the actors from promotional materials for the more recent releases. And I enjoy watching the old cartoons. In general, X-Men seems pretty neat. :)

I appreciate your notes on tense. I don't usually write in present-tense like that, so I'm a bit rusty. As for the "wait, what?" moment, I was getting at how Laura starts out making fun of Logan's choice of clothing, jeans and flannel, only to purchase the same things.

I like your idea of referencing something canon. Many details about the setting of the story this one-shot accompanies are still up in the air, but when things are more concrete, maybe I'll revise this some more....

Thank you again for your feedback!



ExOmelas says...


You're welcome :-)




cron
seeing this tag and going "oh what's this? :)" then getting slapped in the face with shady's good grammar is the worst thing that's ever happened to me
— SilverNight