Bogo The Clown: Episode 2

by vetas

Hey guys! Thank you for reading and reviewing episode 1. I read them all and changes will eventually be made. For now I will continue with the way it is. Please read and review. Thank you!

You hear the craziest things on the news every day. Today was no different. The headlines said “Local Clown Takes Bad Guys Down!” Bogo smiled as he laid in bed reading all about it on his phone. He was a hero now. Kids no longer will fear him and run screaming.

Bogo got out of bed finally and started brushing his teeth. He stared at himself in the mirror saying “You are such a handsome clown Bogo.” He blew a few kisses to his own reflection and went to put on his oversized pants.

All dressed up he headed to the kitchen to make his favorite breakfast. Two sunny side up eggs with a strip of bacon making a smiley face in his pan. A happy breakfast for a happy clown. As soon as he turn the corner to the kitchen, he stopped. At his kitchen table sat a women with long black hair. Her hands were folded and gently placed on the table as she just sat there. Bogo could feel his heart beating harder afraid to make any noise. He took two slow steps forward and asked “Who are you? How did you get it?”

“The door was unlocked” she calmly replied turning her head towards him.

“Please take a seat Bogo. We need to talk”

Unsure of if it was a good idea or not, Bogo walked up to the other side of the table and sat down.

“Who are you?” Bogo asked once more.

“Yesterday you took down two men. You are probably wondering who they were and what they wanted.”

Bogo gave her a slight nod.

“Samantha’s husband worked for a secret military group called GEM. They were working on a machine that could take two people and switch their bodies. They were using it as a way to take captured criminals, switch with them, and go undercover into their gang or organization. Since they were undercover, no one else knew they were agents. They ended up getting killed by police officers or other agents from the FBI or other organizations. GEM was exposed and they were forced to shut down fifteen years ago. Samantha’s husband was chosen to guard the key that could operate this machine. We believe he was killed by someone in search of that key. The men that broke in yesterday must have been looking for it.”

The lady paused and looked at Bogo. His eyes were very wide from the shock of the information.

“You ok?” she asked.

Bogo just nodded his head without speaking. After a few awkward seconds of staring she took out a photo and continued talking.

“This is what the key looks like. It’s in a form of an emerald necklace.”

Bogo looked at the photo and recognized the necklace immediately. He said “Samantha was wearing it around her neck yesterday. It looked so pretty and it matched her eyes. She is so…” He stopped and looked at the lady who had one eyebrow raised.

“I mean I don’t check her out or anything. I uh just saw it on her that’s all.” He said while fidgeting in his chair.

He continued “so why are you telling me all of this. You still never told me who you are.”

“My name is Olga. My father was a member of GEM before he got killed in an undercover mission. I organized a new group hoping it will be better than GEM. Interest for this key has rose significantly and we need to make sure we find it before it falls in the wrong hands.”

Bogo replied “What do I have to do with it? I just punched a few guys and that’s it.”

“Bogo, I want you to join us. We need your help in retrieving the key and finding the machine.”

After she revealed her plan, Bogo started laughing. “You want a clown to be an agent? And I thought I was funny! You would make a better clown than I would an agent.”

Olga stared at Bogo and there was no sign of even the slightest smile. After Bogo was done laughing he looked back at her and realized she was completely serious. He remembered about being a hero. How kids like him now in his city. What if he could do that with the rest of the world?

Olga got up and said “Maybe this was a mistake” and started walking towards the door.

“Wait!” she heard from behind her.

“Ill do it” He said.

She looked at him and said “Welcome aboard Agent Bogo.”

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 pm
Zoom wrote a review...

Yay episode 2

All dressed up he headed to the kitchen to make his favorite breakfast. Two sunny side up eggs with a strip of bacon making a smiley face in his pan. A happy breakfast for a happy clown. As soon as he turn the corner to the kitchen, he stopped. At his kitchen table sat a women with long black hair. Her hands were folded and gently placed on the table as she just sat there. Bogo could feel his heart beating harder afraid to make any noise.

He took two slow steps forward and asked “Who are you? How did you get it?”

This is a pretty good start at setting the scene. It’s riddled with mistakes but I’m looking past that so that I can just get a feel for the story

The part in bold is like two different sentences merged together. Try to let each sentence stick to the same idea instead of doing this.

Also you can remove “as she just sat there”, serves no purpose as we already know she’s seated.

Unsure of if it was a good idea or not, Bogo walked up to the other side of the table and sat down

Here we have some confused characterisation. He goes from not being sure to walking right up and sitting down. I honestly think you should just scrap the “unsure of if it was a good idea or not” and just go with the characterisation that he is naïve/trusting enough to just take a seat, or stick with the characterisation of him not being sure and portray it in his actions, like having him hesitate or something as he is walking. You need to fix either side of this sentence.

Waaaaaaay too much exposition. Not only is this too much to lay on readers at once, it’s unrealistic that she would give everything up before even knowing if he is on board or not (I see where this is going, she wants to hire him etc).

Think about it. She has seen him take down a few criminals, but that isn’t justification enough to hire a clown, and even if it was, she wouldn’t lay all her cards on the table like this unless she was that bad at her job. Which maybe she is because she is asking a clown for help.

Put yourself in her shoes. You would start off small and tell Bogo something low value to see how he reacts. If he pulls out a clown hammer, hits himself in the face, throws a rubber chicken at you then jumps through a closed window, maybe he isn’t the one. But at least he wouldn’t be on the loose knowing who is guarding a top secret key.

That still doesn’t answer his question. Why him? I liked that you had the instincts to know that it needs justification, but you didn’t really come up with a compelling reason.

Here’s what I like. I like Bogo. I like what you are doing with his character, how he is a bit naïve and endearingly innocent, but not totally useless or stupid. That’s quite a good balance so well done there. I also still like the concept. It’s pretty basic and lends itself a lot to your DC/Marvel inspiration, but as long as the story is engaging it won’t matter.

Here’s what I don’t like. Your logic doesn’t make sense. I’ve already explained why above so won’t go into more detail. What I also don’t like is that you have now come up with two set ups to push the storyline forward, but they both happen in the blink of an eye without any real build up or wow factor, and I’m sensing too much of YOUR influence as a writer to make these things happen. 1) You needed him to show off his talents, so two generic people break into a birthday party he was working. 2) You needed a secret organisation to hire him as an agent so they break into his house and hire him at his dining table. It’s just a bit easy and I know you can write better scenes/set ups than that.

Also I’m not adding this to the “Don’t like” list yet, but I wanted to warn you that so far the “conflict” doesn’t really involve Bogo. The organisation wants him to protect some key but it has nothing to do with Bogo’s goal, which, based on what you’ve written so far, is to reach a point where kids don’t fear him/clowns and he can continue his clown work. That goal doesn’t seem connected to working for a secret organisation. Remember that Bogo’s goals and dreams need to be what drive the story forward. If an organisation is deciding to hire him and give him a mission that’s important to them, then it will start to seem like the storyline is simply just happening to Bogo, when it should be Bogo happening to the storyline. He needs to be tied into the storyline in a way nobody else ever could be.

Did you tag me in this btw? I found it anyway but I don’t want to miss this.

-Zoom

vetas says...

Hey Zoom thank you! I look forward to your reviews. They are full of useful information! How can I tag you? Would love to get more help from you.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm
jamgalloway says...

Hey, there! My review is going to based purely off of what I read here, since I haven't read the first chapter, or episode.

First off, the overall writing of this is pretty good. The grammar is good(some minor mistakes but overall good), your sentences flow together well, etc. But there are some problems too. Namely, the pacing. There's way too much happening in such a short time period. First off, this woman just pops up into his house, without even knocking on the door, then info dumps us with a lot of information, and then she asks Bogo, for a reason I do not understand, to be an agent. And this chapter is not very long either, so the pacing is definitely too fast.

There was also the leap of logic there at the end, with her asking a random clown to be an agent. Why? What training does he have? Nobody in their right mind would ask him to be an agent; it's just not believable, regardless of what he did to stop some criminals before.

And now I want to point out a couple minor things. One, when there's dialogue, and you have a dialogue tag after it, there needs to be a comma before the quotation. An example is, instead of this:

"I'll do it" He said.

It should be

"I'll do it," he said.

And since there's multiple examples of this mistake in this chapter, all of those need to look like the above correction. There was also a lot of missed commas throughout the story (Which I can point them out if you want), and you spell ok wrong. It should be "okay" when it's in a story. But that's not really a big deal.

And that's about it. So it's not bad at all, it's a good starting place, but it does need some work. Particularly the pacing and the actual plot itself. Hopefully this didn't come across too harsh and it helped. If you need help with anything, want me to review something else, just want to talk, whatever, just let me know and I'd be happy to. Good luck! :)

vetas says...

Hey thank you! I really appreciate it :)

jamgalloway says...

You're very welcome. :) And I have no idea how I apparently posted three of the same thing lol

vetas says...

Lol you wanted to make sure I read your review.

jamgalloway says...

I guess so haha

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm
jamgalloway says...

"I'll do it" He said.

It should be

"I'll do it," he said.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 am
jamgalloway wrote a review...

"I'll do it" He said.

It should be

"I'll do it," he said.

This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman