Directions- chapter one:Victoria Frey

by verronica55

“Good morning sweetheart,” My father says kissing my forehead as he walks by me putting the plate of waffles on the table. My mom reaches over the table and takes my hand, and I try to stay calm and stop shaking. My efforts have no effect on me.

“Today is a very special day for you, Victoria,” she says with a calm voice, but sadness trickles through her eyes. Her eyes are a pair blue eyes like my brother’s. She is tall but sickly thin from working all the years at the factories. Her and I don't have much in common but the same face structure.

She's right when she says it because it could be the last day I will ever be in the same room with her again. A year ago it was Jonathan's redistricting ceremony. We thought we were going to loose him but, well, he got lucky and he picked East and got to stay. I may not get so lucky. I shake that thought away, and replace it was more happy thoughts. I will get to explore new places, make new friends, and maybe meet the love of my life! That would be nice. Meet new people, fall in love with the guy of my dreams, get married and start family. That's all I want from life. Is to be happy. I have dreams.

“I know. Can you get the dress that you wore from your districting ceremony from the closet? I would like to wear that,” I tell her so I don't have to look at her, it will just be too sad. Just to think this could be the last full day I spend with her….. No I say to myself scolding myself for ever thinking that.

I take a waffle and drowned it in homemade strawberry syrup. Yummy….

I then let out a big sigh. This may be the last time I will eat here all together as a family. I don't want to leave them, but what if I have too? What will I ever do without them to help me? I take a bite of the waffle. I can’t help it anymore! I start to shake like it’s below zero

My brother, Jonathan, comes over and puts his hand on my shoulder. He is taller than I am but not by much. He has black hair like our fathers but he looked more of my mom then anyone in the family. We don't have much in common the only thing that is the same is our parents. I can’t make eye contact with him because it is like when our eyes meet he can read my thoughts. He can’t know what I’m feeling, he may get mad for the self doubt I’m feeling inside. He would be disappointed. I could not bare the pain in his eyes if he would ever find out about the things I'm feeling.

“It will be okay, I promise,” He says, with a reassuring smile in his voice. I look up and meet his gaze, in his eyes... I see worry in them. He is usually not home with us, on a normal day he would be at his own house across town with his wife and little girl, Charlet. I never thought you could be in an arranged marriage, but I have seen many. If I stay here I will be married to my best friend’s brother, Matthew, if I stay but if I leave in a few months my name will be put into a bowl and drawn to find the person I will marry in my new district.

“Victoria, you better start to get ready so we are not late,”

“Yes mom,” I say bringing my plate over to the counter and then heading to my room for maybe the last time.

I quickly slip out of my pajamas and slip on my favorite black dress. I pin my thick dirty blond hair into a ponytail and look at myself.I am pretty tall about 5’9 and about twice the size of the averaged girl. Basically the weight of an adult man.I was never made fun of for it, but I feel like it’s all people see. My hair is long, it goes to about my lower back. I stand there and look at myself for a long time or what feels like forever. Then it is time to go.

The hall to my fate is very small. It's a short but long building. It is only two floors but has about forty rooms. Then there is a huge room in the middle of the building where they hold town meetings and the redistricting ceremony is held. The room is made out of wood that was painted white. It reminds me of the farmhouses in the history textbooks I read in school. The ceremony is quick and after it is all over I only have an hour to say goodbye to my family plus pack up and leave.

We sit down in the Frey family area. We came twenty minutes early; like we always do. The minutes tick by slowly until I hear the the Mayor voice.

“Welcome to the ceremony that will change your life for the good. It will teach you how to live life on your own and will show you how to be heros, workers, and farmers! So may the district be good to you all,” He booms into the microphone.

The whole room erupts with excitement. Most of the kids look happy about this.. He calls the names one by one in alphabetical alphabetical order. I’m in the middle of the list so it takes a little to get to me.

“Victoria Fray” Mair peter calls in his loud booming voice.

I stand, fix my dress then shuffle my way to the front of the room. I look over at the small grey bearded man beside me and reach my trembling hand into the bowl and grab a card. I slowly open the card. I look at it in horror. NO! I scream to myself.

It says I'm going to North. North. The protection. I will learn to fight and protect the districts we love. I don't want to go. I don't want to leave my family and friends behind. I look up at my parents. My dad is crying, my mom sits there with an emotionless expression.

“Tell us where you are going, little lady.”

“Umm,” I stammered. I take took a deep breath, “,North.”

“Congratulations, Miss. Fray! May the North be kind to you!” He dipped his head politely and calls another name.

My parents,siblings and I walk back to the house in silence but you can still hear my dad sniffling. When I get home I grab my suitcase out of my closet and grab my clothing, my phone, makeup, and anything else that will help with my new life. In my new district I will see my family once a year. hear a knock at my door and my mother walks in.

“What have you packed?”

“Clothing and the important stuff,”

“That’s good you need to remember that I went through this to when I was your age. I promise you will survive, I guarantee it.”

“What did you think of when you first met dad,”

“We were transfers from the same district so we knew each other and were quite good friends. We got together because it was a sense of safety I found in him. But, I knew your father and I would be together from the very start,” She says with a weak smile I could tell she was lying but I didn’t want to tell her.

Then there's a knock at the door and I get up and haul my stuff out the room. I walk down the stairs past, my crying family, and out the door. I look back at my house for one more time. I look for the longest I can, before the tall male guard nudges me forward with his elbow. Goodbye…..family and all I have loved here. I try to think of the positive side. New friends, a family of my own and the love of my life, maybe for once I will feel like I fit in.

The trucks at east are huge. They are Ford F150. They’re black with silver chrome. No back seat but had and huge bed. I’m the first to hop in. I sit on the ledge in the right back corner of the truck. I changed out of the dress into a black off the shoulder top with black jeans and my favorite combat boots, also my hair’s tied back in a ponytail.

A boy sits down next to me. He had short pale blond hair with amber eyes. He’s tall but very skinny. He kind of cute but not really my type. He's not that muscular but could do some heavy lifting. He would make a good fighter. Perfect for wear we are going.

“Hey, I’m Ember.” He says with a toothy grin. His voice is more high pitched with a bit of Southern accent. I wonder where he got it from. Maybe his parents were from South or something, but who knows.

“I’m Victoria.” I say shaking his hand. We are silent for the rest of the trip.

It about mid-day when we get there. We get dropped off with the other newbies as you would say. There were 26 people from my district so there are about 100 outfront.I stand there and look at my new home. I am pretty shy so I just stand there in silence when everyone talks to each other. A boy about a year older than walks up to me.

He looks sort of like my brother but not really. They have the same way they are built but that's about it. It makes me think of home and it makes me feel almost angry I push the thought away.

He is tall, broad shoulders with darker black hair that was all shaved but with specks of color. Which I find very attractive. He was in a black tank top which was tight up against his body. He did have much of abs and he was a big guy but, his arms were strong and muscular. He was an inch or two taller than me, he was like my brothers height. He was pretty big. He was my cup of tea. He gave off the attitude of a sporty,mischievous and nerdy kind of guy.

“Ms. Fray, may you come with me, we need to talk,” He says with a deep voice. Not what I was expecting. Then, all the sudden he takes my arm and leads me through the crowd. And takes me by the arm and leads me through the crowd. When we get into the building I throw all my body weight to the ground and get free. All he does is pick me up with his strong arms and hoist me over his shoulder. I don’t even know who this guy is!

“Who are you?!” I demanded pounding on his back.

“I’m Zachary Four and you are Victoria Fray daughter of….”

I cut him off. “How do you know who I am?!” I demanded with a weak but powerful voice.

“I've seen your records, Victoria. That's why I choose you to help, us,” Zachary says us like a very sacred almost forbidden word.

“Who is us exactly.” He sets me down gently to my feet but puts his arm around my shoulder. He’s stronger than he looks. He had no trouble lifting me with his long arms.

“You'll find out soon, enough, hotcakes” I’m dumbfounded by this boy’s words. Did he just really just call me hotcakes!?

“Hotcakes really? That's the best you could do,” I say with a giggle. I never really giggled in my life well but yet again I never was called hotcakes. He puts his hand over my shoulders. I tense up but then slowly ease into his scrawny arms.

“STOP FLIRTING YOU TWO!” A girl with long black hair with blue eyes and pale skin hisses. She is very tall, has a purple tank-top with a black leather jacket and her pants cut off midthigh. She is with that blonde kid. What was his name. Oh right, Ember.

“What’s going on? Why are we gathered here?” He mutters holding his nose that is bleeding. He must of had it rough getting here.

“We are your trainers and we will be watching over the two of you for the next several months,” Zachary says putting his arm around me, again.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello! Happy review day! :D

I feel like this story is going to turn into a dystopia/Divergent type book maybe? I feel some Divergent in here (which is fine! It's a great book) :) Overall, I think you've set up an interesting world and an interesting situation and I'm definitely curious to see how this is going to progress and where this story is going lead. I also really liked that the MC was described as being overweight or heavier than the other girls her age. Agents and publishers are fighting over diverse representation in YA these days and we definitely need more stories that have protagonists that aren't in the skinny white girl mold :) I also love that she was put in the fighting group and I wonder if/how her weight will come into play.

I'm not going to get too bogged down with nitpicky thoughts and instead want to focus on some bigger picture things I noticed.

The biggest thing is that I think you could slow down. This chapter could easily be more than one chapter. Let me use some dystopias as examples. I'm guessing you've read Divergent or the Hunger Games because they're popular and I'm just sensing some Divergent influences here. It's been a long time since I read Divergent, but lets think about how those two books open. There's about a chapter or at least a full scene where we establish normal and plant some subplot seeds and get to know the MC. Then we have the big catalyst where Katniss finds out she's going to be in the Hunger Games and (can't remember the MC's name from Divergent) joins her faction. Joining the faction and discovering she's going to be in the games are also their own chapter or their own big scene. Then leaving home and getting to their new place/seeing their new place is another chapter and another scene. See where I'm going with this? Not that you need to or should copy them, but you've put all of that in one chapter. I think the reader would absorb it better and each part would stand out more if you slowed down and split the scenes up into different chapters or different scenes within the same chapter (like breaks between each scene). There are so many important things happening in this chapter, I want all of them to have equal weight.

If you cut it up into different scenes or chapters, you'll be able to really focus on each individual moment and make it shine. How? Well, you're already doing a lot of things well. I like that you take the time to describe the scene and you're describing emotions. You're definitely on the right track with all of that! I think one thing you can do to take it to the next level is think about what your MC is thinking.

I love first person narration and use it a lot in my own writing because you can really dig deep and learn a lot about a character. In first person narration, the MC's unique voice really needs to shine through on the page, otherwise, what's the point of telling it through her eyes? I want to experience the world through her eyes. I want to know not only what she's seeing, but what she hears, smells, and feels. And most importantly, I want to know her thoughts. I want to know what's going through her mind and I want access to her inner monologue pretty much at all times :) I want to know what she thinks, how she thinks, how she makes decisions, and why she does what she does, and we learn all of that through her internal monologue.

An example of how you could do this:

What's going through her mind right now? She's shaking and trying to stay calm which makes me think she's nervous about something. I don't have to know what that something is yet because mystery is good, but what is she thinking about? What does she want in this moment to make her worry go away? How does she feel when her parents try to comfort her? Is that a welcome gesture or not?

She's right when she says it because it could be the last day I will ever be in the same room with her again. A year ago it was Jonathan's redistricting ceremony. We thought we were going to loose him but, well, he got lucky and he picked East and got to stay. I may not get so lucky.

She shakes the thought away, but I want to stay in this thought for a little longer. You're showing us her inner monologue here and I want more of it :) What could happen if she's not so lucky? What does that mean? What would happen to her? How does she feel about that possibility? What would she lose? Is there any part of her that wants to leave? (That thought could be a nice transition to her thinking about something more positive). How is she able to shake the thoughts away? How long has she been thinking about the chance of leaving? How long has this been weighing on her? Is it worse right now because today's the day she'll find out which way things are going to go?

I shake that thought away, and replace it was more happy thoughts. I will get to explore new places, make new friends, and maybe meet the love of my life! That would be nice. Meet new people, fall in love with the guy of my dreams, get married and start family. That's all I want from life. Is to be happy. I have dreams.

What exactly does she want? Does she mostly want to stay? Does she mostly want to go? Is there the chance she could get what she wants if she stays? Does she think she'll be happier if she stays? Are there any other benefits of leaving? Does she know anyone that's left? What happened to them?

You don't have to answer every single question I raised (that would be a little crazy :p), but I posed all of those questions to try to get you thinking and to maybe spark some additional directions the inner monologue could go and give you an example of how to expand the inner monologue in other places as well.

I'm going to leave things there for now. There is a lot of interesting stuff at play so far in this chapter and I hope to see more of this in the green room soon! Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like feedback about something I didn't already mention! :D

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:38 pm
papillote says...

This reminds me a lot of the novel Divergent, and it's not one of my favorite books.
I do get why it could influence you, though. I remember reading an interview with JK Rowlings when I was younger. Most writers are, first and foremost, avid readers. It's very hard finding your own style and your own stories when you surround yourself with other people's imaginary worlds.
But you have to try.
I think that there are little grammatical mistakes here and there but I'm not the right person to correct them.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 pm
Sins wrote a review...

Hey there! I noticed this lurking in the green room, so figured I'd come review it for you :)

I notice you're quite new to YWS, so let me just start off by saying welcome! I hope you stick around because this is such a great site that has helped improved my writing heaps. I've been here for a few years now, so if you ever have any questions about anything, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Now I'm a sucker for young adult, dystopianesque fiction, so what you've written here is definitely right up my street. You've set everything up well, and with great clarity. I understand what's happening, I know who the characters are, I can get a feel for who they are, and I'm just generally following everything nicely so far. Your grammar and spelling on the whole is pretty good, though you do mix up your tenses occasionally. It's not a huge issue, and I've certainly seen far worse, but it is something to keep an eye on. For the most part, you stick to present tense, you just slip into past occasionally. You've already got loads of conflict going on e.g. Victoria having to leave her family, a potential love triangle(?) with Zachary, Ember and Victoria, Victoria being put into a district she wouldn't want to be put in e.t.c. so that's great. It's always good to introduce conflict early on to keep things interesting. Overall, a decent opening!

Now for critiques :P This is more of a warning than a critique, but you want to be very careful when writing in this genre with this kind of storyline. What you currently have is quite a clear mash up of the Divergent and The hunger games series (I mean, hell, Zachary's surname is Four!), and if this was fanfiction, that would be okay. As it is an independent work though, you need to be super, super careful not to just turn this into a remake of those novels. You need to add heaps of originality into this to separate yourself from everyone else who are writing plots like this at the moment, as there are a lot of them. My advice would be to constantly think what can I put my personal spin onto here as you write, and try not to write any characters, plot, conflicts e.t.c. that don't have at least a touch of something new and different.

On a more technical note, your dialogue on the whole is pretty good and steady, but I found the dialogue between Victoria and her family a little unnatural. It was very formal. I can vouch for the idea of them not being a very emotionally expressive family, of Victoria not wanting to show them she's nervous or upset e.t.c. but even so, there would be some kind of emotion slipping through (other than her dad crying). A lot of this is simply because of the wording and phrasing you use, as opposed to what your characters are actually saying... err, let me explain. For example, you'll have Victoria's mother saying we are going to be late, which sounds very official and formal, no? Whereas it seems like a real family would say we're going to be late. Tiny things like that can make a huge difference, so try to write your characters dialogue as you would speak to your friends and family in real life.

I found Zachary's initial behaviour with Victoria quite odd too. I understand that there's going to be a relationship developing there, and that you want his character to be bold and brash (that's great, it's an interesting characteristic!), but as one of the trainers it just seems awfully unprofessional of the guy to behave like that on their first meeting. It seems like if his bosses were to find out, he'd be sacked :P Show us the chemistry between Victoria and Zachary by all means--I want to see it, but maybe start off a little more subtly. Make us question whether or not they're going to end up developing a relationship, as opposed to giving it away so early. Make them subtly flirt, as opposed to obviously flirt. That helps heaps with realism too, which is very important.

On the note of Zachary, I do feel a little bit like you've given away all of his character a little bit too early. During his introduction, you pretty much listed off who he was and what he was like. As well as it being a little more exciting for us readers to discover that over time, it's also a lot better to do it by showing us, as opposed to telling us e.g. don't tell us that he's kind of nerdy, show it to us in future chapters during a conversation with Victoria. You don't even really need to tell us because you do a good job at showing us his personality via his dialogue and actions already. We can tell that he's confident and mischievous by the way he flirts with Victoria, so you don't need to tell us beforehand! It's way more fun for us to discover his character ourselves.

Finally, I can't help feeling like I want more for Victoria. You noted all of her ambitions and goals early on into this chapter, but they all kinda just revolved around meeting a guy and falling in love. I mean, that's fine, girls can want whatever the heck they want! But it is a little typical and a little boring, and makes her seem a tiny bit two-dimensional. Especially nowadays, there's a big call for heroins who are independent and don't a guy to keep them happy. Having a guy int he mix is a bonus, but it's not essential, it's not their life goal, y'know? If you were to make this Victoria's life goal, only for her to discover herself a lot more deeply and eventually realise that there is more to life than guys after all, that would actually be a really cool idea. If you don't fancy that idea though, I would consider giving her some additional goals on top of the meeting a guy and living happy ever after sort of thing.

Oh, before I forget, I have some queries and general comments to make (that aren't critiques!) You touched upon how people are put into districts, what with Zachary mentioning how he chose Victoria, so I'd love for you to expand on that because I'm curious. How does the selection process work exactly? Is it based on genes? Skill? Personal suggestions? Is it random? I'd love to hear more about that. I'm also intrigued by the setting of this. While you've not explicitly stated it, I'm assuming it's dystopian, so what's the world like? Is it in ruin? Not too bad? Is it futuristic? Some more detailed description of setting would really aid this opening chapter, methinks.

So. Yeah. I've rambled a bit here, oops. Please, please do take everything I've said with a pinch of salt because in the end, this is just my opinion! I am a little worried I may have come across as a bit harsh in this review, which isn't my intention by any means. I genuinely think this has a lot of potential, and if you were to throw in heaps of originality, that in itself would fill said potential massively. With some tweaking, this really could be great. Anywho, be sure to let me know if you want me to explain anything I've said in more detail, I promise I don't bite!

Keep writing,

xoxo Sins

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro