unkept secrets

by vampireacademyfreak3

chapter one

The first thing I though at seven fifty five am was "Happy freakin birthday to me" Then I wanted to go back to sleep. In a couple hours Im supposed to be downstairs enjoying the festivities of the birthday ball. After all four hundred-ninty nine others in the school are celebrating their birthday as well. I pulled the covers over my head and tried going back to sleep when i suddently heard my door being rattled. I smiled to myself already knowing who was going to be walking into my room within a matter of seconds.

"Happy seventeenth birthday to us! whoo-hoo, one more year baby one more year" my boyfriend Alex yelled as he jumped into bed with me.

"Violet, get up." My best friend Sadie pulled the covers off me. "I cant find my birthday gown it was there last night and now..." she trailed off looking down.

"What do you mean you cant find it?" I paced already knowing who took it. "Do you know if Maxeen and her click took it?"

Sadie shrugged. "maybe."

That maybe was all i needed to help me decide what i was going to do next. "Alright give me a few minutes." I got up and made my way towards the bathroom.

After I took a quick shower and got dressed I went out only to find Sadie sitting on the edge of my bed with her head In her hands and Alex watching television. I gave alex a quick kiss. "I'll see you downstairs.later." I specified. Alex knowing when he's not wanted gave me a tight smile and left.

"Sadie c'mon. I already know that Maxeen probably destroyed the dress so we'll pretend that nothin happened and get you a new one."

Sadie looked at me like I was crazy. "We're supposed to be in formal wear in about two hours! how the hell am I going to find a dress in less than two hours?"

I smiled that wicked smile. "I know just the right place, or shall i say person." Sadie gave me a stern look. "Your crazy you know that." she said returning the smile.

I tied my hair and quickly made my way to Maxeen's room with Sadie close behind. As we reached her door I listened for any signs of activity inside. One of the perks of being a Casper was super hearing. Once I was sure that no one was inside I gave Sadie the go ahead as she quickly pick locked Maxeen's door.

"We're in." She whispered.

"Alright you stand guard. If you see anyone coming towards here give a small cough and I'll be out." After I got a nod from Sadie took my chance at going In.

The first thing that I noticed as I entered Maxeen's room was that literally everything was pink including her mini fridge. I personally hated the color pink and wanted nothing more than to get out of her room as soon as possible. I quickly located her closet and behind a rack of her clothes was a dress that looked dry cleaned and judging by the color I had a feeling that It belonged to Maxeen. I sighed and grabbed the dress.

Back In my room Sadie and I could'nt contain our laughter any longer. "God, why does it have to be pink?" Sadie asked looking up.

I patted her on the back. "I hate to break it to ya kiddo but I dont think he's gonna answer you anytime soon." I confirmed as I made my way towards the door and locked it.

"So can I finally see you in your birthday gown?" She asked smiling.

I though about it for a second. "Alright just let me go change your going to love It."

"Alrighty then I'll change in her so be quick." She replied.

Once inside the bathroom and into my dress I looked at my reflection in the mirror and sighed. Being a casper had it perks. All Caspers has silky hair, colored eyes, and a fit body with a poreless face. All of my friends tease me and say that the whisperers took extra time when they were creating me because truth of the matter is in a room full of Caspers I stand out. While most Caspers have dark colored hair I have light blond hair with black roots. While every casper had any one set of colored eyes I have grey eyes that are outlined with a thin line of gold, and while most caspers have a round face i got stuck with a sharp and toned bone structure. Since all of my classmates are used to my looks they dont stare but when older Caspers see me they usually stare a little longer than normal and even though im used to it I cant help but feel like I dont belong.

"Do I have to barge in there cause I will do it." Sadie yelled. "Five, four, three-"

"Im out, ok!" I yelled as I opened the bathroom door and stepped out onto the hardwood floor.

Sadie gasped. "How...what? my good you look beutiful." She finished speechless.

I laughed and tilted my head while twirling in my dress. It was a silky black strapless piece that flowed all the way to the floor. It hung in all the right places and showed off all my curves when I seen it I knew that it was going to be perfect.

I looked at Sadie and for a pink piece it looked good on her. It was also strapless but unlike mine it was knee length and had a poof from the waist down. It looked exactly like something Maxeen would wear.

"Hey" I said taking her hand "you dont look too bad yourself."

"I know your just saying that but thanks anyways." She then handed me my crown or should say 'the crown' that every girl had to wear. The crown was bejeweled with diamonds and was flashy once downstairs I would see two hundred and fifty matching ones. Sadie and i put our crowns on at the same time and looked at our reflections in the mirror. We looked...decent.

"Ok" sadie began taking my hand, "I'm going to warn you that the guys are going to be looking at you alot today" Sadie giggled as I raised my eyebrows at ,"I mean more than they already do."

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:01 am

First Impression: Okayy...this was a pretty interesting piece here. I don't believe I've seen something quite along these lines here, especially with this whole birthday detail that stands out as quite unique to me.

Sadie shrugged. "maybe."

Okayy...well this is quite something. We've got a very interesting situation tossed out as right from the very beginning with this whole five hundred people having the same birthday situation. That combined with this pretty natural dialogue here that does pull you in quite well makes for a pretty solid looking start here to this piece.

Okayy...well this is going pretty neatly so far. I think you're building up some very interesting dynamics between these characters and the friendship and such is just there to see in the way they communicate an interact. Its a wonderful little moment to be starting off on here.

"We're in." She whispered.

OKay...that seems like very casually "borrowing" a dress, but I suppose this is something that maybe happens relatively often given how casually and easily it was pulled off. At any rate, it presents a couple of interesting questions about this new character that gets mentioned here. At any rate, this lovely sense of camaraderie is certainly continuing in a pretty intriguing direction here.

Hmm...this is perhaps the one part here that I find to be just ever so slightly questionable here, because we slow down all the wonderful momentum that was being built up by those lovely descriptions in favor of what ends up being a little bit of a wall of text there. Some of that description could add something good here, but I think this needs to be trimmed a bit.

Hmm, see the description here is done well, this way it doesn't interfere with the general flow of this story, but rather adds on nicely to it. That I think makes for a much more better flow here and makes the story that much better to read.

Well...this cute little dynamic between the two of them is really proving to be quite awesome here. I think you're doing a very good job on that side of things and its coupling well with the hints of what could happen soon to make this into a pretty formidable first chapter here.

Overall: Overall, I think this makes for a pretty solid piece here. You've got a pretty interesting world built up here, and this dynamic between our two characters is something I'm especially enjoying quite a bit here.

bsbfan19 says...

I was wondering if your gonna work on chapter two? Its kinda good and would like to see where this goes! :)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:44 am
RoryLegend wrote a review...

First reviewer! Woot.

So I tried to read your Prologue and it was too much for me. I couldn't stay interested at all and it basically, like the reviews said, was an information dump.

If I were you I would let go of the Prologue and try to incorporate it in to the story.

Okay, you do have a lot of grammar mistakes here. I wish I had the time to go through the whole piece and help out but there is a lot. The way you word things is strange. You also don't capitalize or use proper punctuation a lot. All of these things really detract from the story. I'll do a sample paragraph below but my biggest suggestion would be to find a friend with good grammar skills to go through it with you.

^That's what you wrote.

My suggestions:
At 7:55 I rolled over, looking at the clock, and thought 'Happy Freaking Birthday to me.' Then all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. In a couple hours I was supposed to be downstairs enjoying the festivities of the birthday ball and while I should have been getting ready, sleep was more appealing. After all, the were 499 other students who were also celebrating their birthday today, so I had no reason to make a fuss or feel special. I pulled the covers over my head and tried going back to sleep only to be interrupted by my door handle rattling. I smiled to myself, already knowing who it was.

Here another one, you wrote:

My suggestions:
I hopped in for a quick shower then dressed. Emerging in to my room I found Sadie perched on the edge of my bed, her head in her hands. Alex was watching television and I leaned over to give him a quick kiss, "I'll see you downstairs," I said, "later." Taking the hint to leave Alex gave me a tight smile and disappeared through the door.

One more example, you wrote:

My suggestions:
The color pink slapped me in the fast as I stepped in to Maxeen's room, right down to the mini fridge. Despite the strong urge to puke in my mouth and run from the room as fast as possible I began my search. Locating the closet I thrust the door open only to find more of the obnoxious color. Shoving clothes aside I found a dress hanging at the back, perfectly pressed and packaged for the dance. There was no doubt the dress was Maxeen's. I sighed and grabbed it, darting out to the hall.

Overall I like this idea of different races of students. This has an X Men type feel with the school and students and powers and such. Except I can tell this is a whole other world. I like this idea of everyone having the same birthday and there being a "Birthday Ball." It's something new and really intriguing. Try not to get too cliche with your characterization. You've got the main character who causes trouble. The easily picked on best friend. The pink loving arch nemesis. And the absent minded boyfriend. I think this story has potential, it just needs some tender love and care to really kick ass.

Let me know if you write more and want another review!

-RL

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:57 am

you guys should probably read the prolouge to this if you have'nt already. Sorry for any grammer mistakes I was kinda in a hurry when I wrote this so........
thnx;)

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues