z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence Mature Content

Me and My Imagination: Chapter 5, I'm A Good Person

by tswizzy22


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

Chapter 5

My sister and I met a few days later in the treehouse to talk. I sat on the floor while my sister stared out the window. “I’m sorry we’ve been fighting so much lately,” I said. I looked down at my fingers fumbling about. My sister’s gaze didn't stray from the window, as if she didn’t hear me.

She put her hand on her chin and curled one finger up towards her lip. “What do you think of Father’s party?” she asked.

“I mean he practically said it himself,” I replied. “It’s more of a business opportunity than a birthday party, but you and I know that’s nothing new. To be honest it doesn't really bother me all that much.”

“Really?” she replied. Her eyebrows raised as far on her head as they would go. “It just doesn’t sit right with me.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Like, we told him what the kids at school do to us, yet he still goes and invites them all anyway,” she said, her eyes not wavering from the window.

“Well technically he invited their parents,” I corrected her. “Kids are kind of a packaged deal. Or maybe he wants us to make some friends, I don’t know.”

“Why are you defending him?” My sister snapped, suddenly looking away from the window, and directly at me.

“I’m not defending him,” I replied. “But it's like he said, he’s trying to provide for the family.”

“Well if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s not going to have a family to provide for.” I furrowed my brow, confused at my sister’s comment.

“That was rather ominus,” I told her. She ignored me and went back to looking out the window. We sat in silence for several seconds.

“Oh hey!” she finally said. “We haven’t even talked about your birthday!” She was suddenly full of energy and smiling ear to ear.

“What is there to talk about?” I asked.

“You haven’t told me what you want yet,” she said.

“You don’t have to get me anything,” I replied. “I just want everyone to have a good time at the party.” Her smile faded slightly.

“Well if you don’t tell me what you want, I’m going to have to surprise you,” she said.

“I’m looking forward to it,” I said, grinning. She turned away from the window again momentarily.

“What do you think the popular kids will get you?” she asked, with genuine curiosity in her voice.

“Well, if they do get me anything, which they probably won’t, knowing my luck they’ll all probably just shit into a box and put a bow on it.” We both broke out into a fit of laughter. The laughter dies down after a while and we go back to sitting in silence.

“There’s gotta be something wrong with us,” my sister said, finally breaking the long silence. I looked at her in conusion.

“What makes you say that,” I asked. She looks down at her feet.

“Look at us Percy. Look at everyone around us. Do you see how easy it is for them to talk to each other? Do you see how easy it is for them to make friends?”

“I thought you didn't care about any of that?” I asked.

“That’s what I’m saying!” she replied, rather animatedly. “I don’t care about any of that, and I know that you don’t either.” She paused for a moment. “Do you ever wonder if we’re supposed to?” Her voice is suddenly shaky, as if she is unsure of herself. “Maybe we’re supposed to care about all that stuff. All the drama, and trends, maybe we’re supposed to take part in it all.” I paused for a moment to gather my thoughts, unsure of what to say to calm her down.

“Would you be happier if we had more friends?” I asked. She thought about her answer for a few moments.

“I don’t know,” she said finally. “Maybe.”

“You know if you had friends, you would actually have to talk to them right?” I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

“Ha Ha,” she said, sarcastically. She walked away from the window and sat down next to me. “Do you remember when we were young and used to play pretend?” She asked.

“Sure,” I answered. We had castles and lead armies in epic wars. It was all good fun.”

“Why did we ever stop?” She asked.

“Well we got older,” I replied. “Things in the real world started to matter a little bit more.”

“Mother told us to never stop imagining.” She had a twinkle in her eye.

“I don’t think she was actually serious,” I tried to explain. “You can’t just spend your life in some sort of fantasy land.”

“Well why not?” she asked. She looked at me quizzically. “What if our fantasy lands are happier than real life ever could be?”

“Brooklyn..” I started but she cut me off with her argument.

“In our minds we can be anything we want, do anything we want, talk to anyone we want.”

“But none of it would be real!” I argued. She looked at me unconvinced.

“It could be real to us,” she pleaded, her voice beginning to rise. I stopped arguing and scooted away from her a few feet.

“Are you feeling ok?” I asked. Her bright green eyes looked into mine for a few moments before looking down.

“I’m fine,” she replied, somewhat unconvincingly.

“Brook I know you’re lying. It’s me you can tell me whatever is on your mind.” She continued to look down at the ground. Brook,” I said again, with more force.

“I’ve been having some pretty weird dreams,” she said, hesitantly. She put her head down on her arms. I scooted closer and wrapped my arm around her.

“The chair dream again?” I asked. “The one with the door?” She pulled her head up and shook her head no.

“No not like that,” she replied. Her eyes began to water. “These dreams are… different. They’re really scary dreams.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Dreams where I’m hurting people,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper. I started to get concerned.

“Do you want to tell me about them? Maybe how long you’ve been having them, or describe them or something?” She took a deep breath.

“They started a few months ago.” Tears began running down her face.

“Do you want to tell me about a specific dream?” I asked.

“This one is from a few months ago,” she started. I nodded in response. “I was walking down a hallway, not walking, chasing someone. She paused and took another deep breath. I continued to stare at her. “I had a large knife in my hand. The person I was chasing was scared. They were screaming and crying.”

“ Do you know who you were chasing,” I interrupted. She shook her head no. “Well do you remember if it was a boy or a girl?”

“It was a boy,” she replied. “A man really. He was older than us, an adult.”“ Go on,” I insisted.

“ I remember feeling this intense joy. I felt happier than I had ever felt in my entire life.” She chuckled for a moment. “All the while, his screams were growing louder. The louder he screamed the happier I became.”

“Jesus,” I muttered.

“Eventually the hallway ended. He crumpled to the floor in a sobbing mess.” She looked away from me and started looking straight ahead at nothing in particular. “I wanted to savor the moment. I wanted to make every second last.”

“Brook you’re starting to freak me out.” She ignored me and went on.

“I thought I would be sad if it ended too quickly. I didn’t want to be sad. I wanted to start with something small. I grabbed onto his hand and brought it up to my face to examine it. He had a lot of calluses. They disgust me, I thought. I wanted to remove them. I wanted to remove all of them. I took my knife…”

“Brook, I think I get it,” I interrupted. She ignored me again and continued to stare ahead.

“I ran the knife gently over the palms of his hands. He was exhausted from all the screaming and crying by this point. I told him not to worry, that it would all be over soon. I scrapped a few layers of skin off his hands, just enough to take off the callus. He began to bleed. His blood was oozing all over the place after just a few seconds. It got all over the knife, and it got all over me, but I didn’t mind. It made me even happier.”

“Brook, stop it, I get it,” I said again, this time louder.

“I deserve to be happy, I thought. I’m a good person. If this makes me happy then I should keep going. So I did. I took his rest of his calluses off as well, on both hands. You could hardly tell they were hands at this point because there was so much blood. By now the man had passed out, either from shock, or blood loss.

I grabbed onto both of her shoulders and shook her hard. “You need to stop,” I shouted. She looked me dead in the eyes, but continued to ignore me.

“Sometimes, I do know who I’m chasing. I think I might enjoy it even more when it’s someone familiar behind the screams. Just a week ago I dreamed about the kids at school.”

“Brook…” I managed to say, through heavy tears.

“Recently I’ve even dreamed about our family. Mother… Father… You.” Suddenly she stopped. She hugged me tightly and we both sat in the treehouse sobbing.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:11 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I was looking for something to review and I found this and thought it was interesting. Apologies for not having read previous chapters, but I hope this will be helpful anyway.

I really like the relationship you're developing between the brother and the sister. Too often, books just have siblings either adore each other or, more commonly, have a love-hate relationship, so it's really nice to see such complexity on display already.

“That was rather ominus,” I told her. She ignored me and went back to looking out the window. We sat in silence for several seconds.

“Oh hey!” she finally said. “We haven’t even talked about your birthday!” She was suddenly full of energy and smiling ear to ear.

Small typo - you misspelled "ominous." Also, I found this transistion to be rather sudden. While I understand that the idea is that she changed the topic rather abruptly, I found it odd that she said it so cheerfully, especially because she goes back to her previous mood almost immediately. I think it could be a little bit clearer that she's faking the mood? And the "oh hey" makes it sound spontaneous - maybe reword that?

It got really creepy really fast, I'll say that, but that's not a bad thing. I didn't really understand the connection between talking about how they used to play pretend and Brook's dream. That part, getting from the "we're not normal" into Brook talking about her dream, just felt a bit forced to me, like you were trying to hard to get the conversation there. I also thought it was a bit odd that the brother wound up crying - being scared seems the more logical reaction to me, and everything he had done up to that point didn't indicate he was crying at all.

“Well we got older,” I replied. “Things in the real world started to matter a little bit more.”

Small thing - I feel like this would be more powerful without the second sentence.

And that's all I've got! This is a strong chapter - good luck and keep writing!




User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:53 pm
View Likes
tigeraye wrote a review...



To quote Steve Jobs's last words...oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.

This chapter was just so inanely creepy. Brook finally describing her dream is such horrifyingly grotesque detail just to say "I'm a good person" right after is so messed up. Maybe she wants to be a good person, but something deep down inside her is telling her that she isn't. That's really sad.

The character development for Brook in this chapter was really great. Instead of being a typical sort-of headstrong "I don't need society" teenager, she ends up being a very deep and complicated character who has hidden insecurities and weaknesses. The main character seems a bit flat in comparison, but it's still early enough so that hopefully you'll change that.

The conversation between the two raised a really good point -- fantasy worlds can be better than the real world. But I don't think we ever stop going into these fantasy worlds, we just change the way we get there. Instead of playing make-believe games, we escape via movies, books, and video games. Brook and her sibling escape to a fantasy world via books, so it's strange to me they didn't make that connection.

This was a very heavy chapter, overall. You did a better job of making me realize the father was in the wrong by reminding us that he invited their bullies to the party and how messed up that is for parents to do. From the revelation that the father's party was more for business than for them, to Brook's terrifying dream, this was really ground shaking. I look forward to whenever you get the next part up.





cron
Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia