z

Young Writers Society



Pandora’s Box: Opening the World to Music

by timjim77


Music geeks are everywhere. Those are the people that are more than willing to talk for two hours about how Kraftwerk is the most underrated band of all time, buy new albums in vinyl, go to concerts of artists they’ve never heard before, play instruments like the melodica and glockenspiel, and are generally obsessed with all things musical. These people are a sad breed, constantly looking for an outlet for new forms of musical expression. For free. Napster is dead. An eleven-year-old girl got arrested for downloading music. The music industry is the crony fueling the mass capitalism that will fall when the proletariat unties and revolts. Cough.

If you have any of these symptoms, the remedy is here. The Music Genome Project sponsored by Savage Beast Technology has finally been completed. This endeavor has been one of the extensive cataloging of modern music to date. Hundreds of music experts and critics gathered together to organize songs from over 10,000 artists into a huge database. The songs were analyzed and categorized according to their structure, sound, instrumentation, and 400 other specific musical characteristics. These people are true music geeks.

The Music Genome is now available for the masses at www.pandora.com. After you register for free, you can begin to create your own playlists or radio stations. Simply pick an artist or a song, and Pandora will search the database for you to create a playlist of similar songs. As the songs play, you can edit which songs and what types of songs you want played in this playlist.

Skeptical of how accurate this would be, I tried it out with some of my favorite bands who are “obscure”. After my Pavement, Super Furry Animals, and Neutral Milk Hotel playlists were created, I was amazed, and almost disconcerted as to how similar the other songs, by other artists on the playlist resembled the ones that I had entered. I created a Frank Sinatra playlist to ease my nerves. Then after I was tired of the crooner’s, I chilled out to some Matisyahu. Beastie Boys. Bob Dylan. Herbie Hancock.

And for those of you who are musicians, the deal gets even sweeter. You can submit your own songs to the project. If they get accepted, when someone wants to hear some Joy Division, they might end up hearing the local band that played at the coffehouse last night. In the short time I used it, one band that was very obscure that I had listened to came up in my Pavement playlist. The only thing bad about the playlist is there is no classical or world music. But if you have a real hankering for Stravinski or the latest Pakistani pop, you’ll have to go somewhere else.

If you are not a music geek, you may never understand the ecstasy that comes when your hear the fuzz box click on or the sweet wail of the vocalist. You may not understand why some people will sleep in tents outside of box office to pay ridiculous amounts for a ticket in the nosebleeds. You may not understand why someone owns every record Parliament and Funkadelic ever made, but you should be able to understand why free, personalized music is exciting. Take a look, and dive into the Gene Pool.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:21 pm
Firestarter says...



Pandora is brilliant.




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:10 am
Addie wrote a review...



Then after I was tired of the crooner’s, I chilled out to some Matisyahu. Beastie Boys. Bob Dylan. Herbie Hancock.


Should be: "Matisyahu, Beastie Boys, Bob Dylan, and Herbie Hancock." See the last point on this next thing.

The only thing bad about the playlist is there is no classical or world music. But unless you have a real hankering for Stravinski or the latest Pakistani pop, you’ll be ok.


Three things:
One, I love classical music. There are many people who really appreciate it and would rather listen to that than the latest trashy rap song, which brings me to my second point. This piece seems like an informative yet opinionated essay. However, it does remind me of a commercial. One tip: Polish your puncutation and grammar for a more respectable essay that might make one think more seriously about it, which brings me to my third point. At the end, it should be either "O.K." or "okay."

Overall, this was a pretty good piece, with cute bits of humor here and there.

---Addie




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 8231
Reviews: 214

Donate
Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:13 am
Prosithion wrote a review...



I liked it. Personally, I like Yes and Genesis, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :D


Megan. You've actually read The Hobbit. Cool. :)




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 33

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:56 pm
Eleanor Rigby says...



If you're an indie music freak like me, this site is AMAZING. Absolutely AMAZING.




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:29 pm
Dream Deep wrote a review...



I thought that was pretty good. I'm not really a music geek, though, I just happen to play the piano (which is a nice common instrument) and like old 70s-80s music. :wink:


Hey, Megan, I can't believe you've read The Hobbit. I've met about two people who actually have, and one of them's my brother. PS - Didn't you think the Mirkwood Elves were cool?




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:17 pm
~Megan~ says...



Thats pretty cool. I liked it and i'm gonna check out the pandora site. I guess i'm sort of a music geek. I think i'm more of a writing and reading geek though lol. maybe i'm just a geek.





"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland