z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

T-Minus 134 Days

by thetejmahal


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Seeing your face on TV is sometimes not as great as you'd expect.

Especially when you don't look your best.

I fingered a lock of my chocolate brown hair. Had it really looked that bad? I stare at the screen. They hired an artist to draw an estimate of my appearance.

The sketch is shockingly accurate, except for my hair. They've made it look like a rat's nest. Either they really think it looks like that, or it's just for them to laugh about.

Well, I'm dying of laughter. Ha ha ha.

"A recent robbery from the Smithsonian leaves no question as to the suspects. None other than the infamous Alexandria Prince, the teenager that is, without a doubt, the most wanted thief in the nation. Sources say that Prince has once again disappeared. The FBI are already on the hunt-"

I clicked off the screen, silently laughing in my head.

Detectives are so stupid.

The news makes them sound so powerful, but in reality they're just a group of idiots who are incapable of imprisoning a teenage girl.

The ringtone of my phone interrupts my thoughts. I hold it up to my ear, slightly irritated. Wasn't this supposed to be my day off?

"Alex, come to my office. I've got something new for you." Mr. Donovan's voice sounded urgent.

"But-"

"It's big. You must come." Without another word, he hung up.

Well, then.

I sigh, rubbing my temple. Just when I thought I could take a nap.....

Shoving my phone in the back pocket of my jeans, I tie my hair in a loose braid. I mentally roll my eyes as I put on the overly-large sunglasses and the itchy red baseball cap. I hate having to disguise myself. But I guess it beats going to prison. Screw cops.

Finally, I slip on my leather jacket and combat boots and leave the hotel room. The elevator dings as the doors slide open, and I step inside, only to find that I am not alone. A middle aged man who looks like a boring lawyer is leaning against the corner of the elevator. He smiles at me, and I can feel my irritation already growing.

"Did you see the news?" He asks. Not waiting for my answer, he continues on. "That teenage girl, she is really something. I wonder how her parents put up with it. That poor family." He then looks at me. "You must be around her age, right?"

Before I am forced to answer, the elevator dings again, signaling that we have reached the lobby. With one last awkward glance back at the man, I leave the metal box, my mind still pondering what he said.

I wonder how her parents put up with it.

Maybe because they don't have to at all.

**************************************************************************************

I turn the knob and push the door open, entering Mr. Donovan's office.

"Isn't today supposed to be my-"

I stop midway through my sentence, taking in the scene before me. Mr. Donovan is nowhere to be seen. Instead, I see a blonde boy around my age spinning around wildly in his office chair. Upon hearing my arrival, he uses his foot to slow the chair down, finally facing me. His eyes visibly widen and his lips part slightly as he stares at me. I narrow my eyes into a glare.

"Who are you?" I ask, not even bothering to be polite. I've never seen this kid before. Who does he think he is, sitting in Mr. Donovan's chair like a big-shot?

"Hey, I'm Chase," he breathes, his expression the same as before. His blue orbs never break contact with mine. I glare at him, about to say something when Mr. Donovan walks in.

"Oh, you've arrived, Alex. I see you've met my nephew Chase already."

Nephew?

"I'm here for the 'big announcement,'" I say sarcastically. "Whatever was more important than my only day off." I make no comment about this annoying kid Chase, who has resumed spinning around in Mr. Donovan's chair.

"I understand that you are angry about this interruption."

"Hell yeah I am."

Mr. Donovan ignores my comment and continues on. "But, I've managed to get you a really big mission. Probably the biggest so far."

He waits for me to make another rude comment, but continues when it never comes.

"Paris, France. Marie Antoinette's necklace. 3.7 million dollars. Extremely valuable, but in the hands of someone easy to convince. You up for it?"

My mind swirls with all the possibilities. I've never had a mission overseas. This could be a big risk.

But it comes with an even bigger reward. After another moment of pondering, I nod my head in approval.

Go big or go home, right?

"Great. Oh, and you won't be alone on this one. I can't just let you go overseas all by yourself!" Mr. Donovan chuckles nervously, knowing how I will react to this.

"What?"

"Alex, meet your new partner." Mr. Donovan gestures to the boy spinning around in his chair, and my mind explodes.

No. No way. Never.

"I don't take newbies," I state firmly. I'm doing my best not to scream right now.

I don't work with people. I can't. Especially not this kid.

"You're going with Chase, or not at all. I need him trained, and who other than my best agent?"

Chase, upon hearing his name, stops spinning.

"Alex, this mission is a big opportunity. How about I raise your profit to 85%?" Mr. Donovan is getting desperate, but I won't take it.

"Do you really think I'll be able to put up with him?" I say, pointing at Chase. "Because I know I sure as hell can't."

"Hey! I'm right here!" Chase whines, and I send him a cold glare, which shuts him up.

"Take him, and I'll raise your profit to 90%, give you the rest of the week off, and make you Chief Deputy. I'll even fire Sara, and you can take her place. I need you to do this mission."

Mr. Donovan looks at me, waiting for an answer.

I really want to do this mission. This is a huge opportunity!

But I can't take Chase. From the five minutes I've known him, he's already pissing me off. That's a record, even for me.

Maybe I can convince Mr. Donovan later that someone else can train him.

Maybe I could take Chase, and ignore him. I won't even have to talk to him. I could leave him in the hotel room or something.

This is the biggest opportunity of my career. And I'm not going to let some annoying kid ruin it for me.

I finally look at Mr. Donovan, ready with my decision.

"I'll do it." 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:18 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...



Hola, thetejmahal! Pompadour here to review this lovely piece for you today!

I like how you started out with a statement. Snappish. Your narrative voice is pretty strong and clear-sounding as a whole, and the main character sounds like an interesting person. Blunt, precise and clever. I like her. She knows what she wants and how to get it. For a first chapter, you managed to give us a gist of what to except from her, as well as some of her more prevalent characteristics. Sarcasm, check. Daring, check. Brevity, check.

Well... maybe there's a little too much sparseness, where character development is concerned. A lot of Alex's actions seem a bit unemotional, and I think you could use a bit more thought. I got the impression that your writing was pretty bold, and I really liked that, but I want a little more to chew on. Some thought, some opinion--prod a little deeper with this and see what you can do!

Speaking of sparseness, that brings me to my next point: background. While you dived straight into the plot and got the train moving, I feel like there's not enough of story. Plot and story are two different things, and the difference between them is often quite vague and indiscernible; that's okay if you don't know about it. Many professional writers don't, and I didn't know it until around three weeks ago. Anywhoo: plot is the action. It tells us what's happening, the physical aspects of your main character's journey, events, whatever. The story is the reaction to these happenings; it delves into how your character feels about these events, and how he/she reacts to them. Basically, it's kinda like cause and effect. But the story is an emotional journey. Plot is physical.

Now that I've rambled on about the plot/story thingy enough, one thing I would have liked to see in this, as a reader, is a greater insight into Alex's mind. First-person is a wonder to write with; there's so much you can do! I, personally, find it rather difficult, seeing as it's like pinning internal monologue to paper, but I think you can handle it. You're brief in what you have to say, yeah, but there are certain questions you'll have to ask yourself as you write. Moreover, you'll have to be delivering them in snippets or through subtle descriptions/thought/dialogue, otherwise you might reach that dreaded point in your novel where you realize that there's so much your reader needs to know, and all that info might accumulate as a brick-load of info-dump. Trust me when I say info-dumps create a ton of hassle, both for the writer and the reader.

Some thoughts I had while reading this:

1] Okay, so I get that Alex is a big-time teenage criminal, and then you tell us that she's working for someone ... some kind of organization? I think you were a little vague on that subject. What is this organization? How long has Alex been working for them? How well does Alexa know these people? Who is Donovan, anyway?

2] Alex mentions her 'career', and I really want to know a little bit about it. I'm not saying you have to tell your readers everything. It's just--more info please. Just a little foundation for us to work on other than plain ol' happenings. Chase and Mr Donovan could use some fleshing out, too. I can't really relate to them, nor can I understand why Alex takes an instant dislike to him. She says he's annoying--how so? Justify her actions. Make sure there is cause to the effect. (She talks about him being a newbie, someone to be babysat, but there has to be more than just that transparent reason, right?).

3] Alex mentions her parents. It's very quick, and I can only suppose you're going to elaborate more on that as the story moves forward, but I can't see Alex's response all that well to what the man said. Again, a few sentences here, a little back-up there... Give us something to work with. I want to get attached to Alex and feel for her. I want to think of her as three-dimensional instead of a cardboard cut-out. You know you can do it! I've mentioned this before, and you have a strong, precise way of writing. It's appealing. I wouldn't be reviewing this and pricking and poking at it if I didn't feel it had potential. But it does, and a lot of it at that.

4] The reasoning for Chase accompanying Alex is a bit flimsy. Ze goose needs more stuffing.

I like your writing style. It's simplistic, yet it's a block of iron being hurled your way that you manage to catch. The blow hits you hard, but you're interested. You have a good handle on moving the story forward, and your writing flows really well. I caught a hint of cliché in this chapter, when Alex 'disguises' herself with sunglasses and a baseball hat; I think you could come up with something better there, if she really is a professional.

Technical-wise, you switch to past-tense a couple of times in the first half of the chapter, while the rest of it you've written in present tense; e.g.:

I fingered a lock of my chocolate brown hair


I clicked off the screen, ...


Besides that, you're mostly good.

Overall, this was lovely, and I enjoyed reading it. Your dialogue is great, your pacing a little fast, but that's nothing that won't solve itself as you write on. I've always found that pacing settles itself, mostly, by the third/fourth chapter. Besides, you write in a very natural-sounding way, and it's ... interesting. Kinda refreshing. Also simplistic. Anywhoo, I'm interested to see where you carry on from here, and the idea is interesting as a whole.

Keep writing! Keep up the brill work! Tell me when you update~

Hope this helped.

~Pomp




User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 pm
View Likes
Evander wrote a review...



Hey, thetejmahal!

Raven here for a review!

The first two sentences really drew me in. They both sparked some questions within the reader. Making us wonder why Alex was on TV, and how bad she looked. ;) I also liked the fact that you have them on two separate lines. Each giving its own little impact on the reader's brain.

Next paragraph. So... there was a perfect opportunity to describe your character right there! When Alex mentioned that the police hired an artist to draw a picture of her. The detail that could have been expressed too... I also understand why she wasn't described there. That would make it different from all the other books. Instead of being told how the main character looks the first chapter, the reader is forced to wait, making them want to read on. Oh, the tease Alex gave when she stated that she had chocolate brown hair. It was at least long enough for her to twirl it. However that's all we know! I am in awe at your genius and applaud you.

End of the first scene, her last comment, "Maybe because they don't have to at all." That just brought up some questions and made me feel sympathy. What happened to her parents? Did the disinherit her? She could have killed them... Did Alex runaway, so she could live in a life of crime? Also, I just can't imagine not having my parents to put up with anything I do... Just, I felt bad...

The description in this is just enough to let us know what is happening, yet, still I yearn for more... ;)

The paraphrase don't seem that long, but hey, I'm not complaining. Each one has an impact that is... so great!

I also get Alex's "dislike" for Chase. I mean, who would want to "babysit" a newbie. To her, he must be like dead weight. Oh... she really needs the mission though... Her response surprised be though, I was really expecting her to turn the offer down and get it some other way. Alas, she is your character, and since I don't know her well enough, what you say goes. (And, this gives you the perfect opportunity for romance and such things like that.)

Keep on writing! Tell me when you update!

Rae,




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 6057
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:52 am
View Likes
EscaSkye wrote a review...



I like the flow of the chapter. I could see how Alex likes to go about with things - like some of her preferences, as well as parts as to how she thinks. She's already got me interested from the start! Poor Chase though, I have a gut feeling that Alex won't make this a ride in the park for him (whether it means she trains him to the brink where he'd find himself sitting on a wheelchair or learn nothing at all from this Paris trip). There were just a few parts that seemed a little strange to me though, like the usage of "leaves". Maybe there's some other word which can be used? It's probably just me though. Another thing was like how some sentences could be merged into one, or at least I think so.

Overall, this was a great chapter. I can't wait to see the rest. Good job!





I am big enough to admit I am often inspired by myself.
— Leslie Knope