Chapter 1 (coment name suggestions for the book please)

by theknight

Chapter1

I would like to tell you a story about the day I nearly died. It started as a normal day. Waking at 7 I quickly ate breakfast and ran out the door so I could get to school early.

My friends were all there waiting for me at the gate . But the school bullies were also waiting and there seemed to be no way past them.

I had already decided what I was going to do. I was going to fight back and then I saw the girl I have a crush on at the gate with my friends. I couldn't show myself up in front of her.

Amelia Thomson was the nicest girl in the school and always stuck up for me if I wasn't being an idiot. This alone made me like her but she was also really good looking and was amazingly funny.

My brain started ticking as I walked closer to my friends, the bullies stopped moving and stood up straight as if to attention. I tried to ignore them but it was difficult. The biggest one of them walked up me and started talking.

"Stay away from Amelia she's mine" he said to me.

"I'm afraid I can't do that sorry" I said as I braised myself for the punch that was sure to follow.

"OH SURE YOU CAN" he screamed.

"I don't have to" I said patiently.

"OH YES YOU DO" he was getting angry now.

"Why" I knew but I wanted to be sure.

"YOU KNOW WHY" he spat.

I started backing away knowing that at one word the others would come to help finish me off for good.

It was such a shame because I wanted to deal with these mongrels once and for all doing the school a favour but in return I might end up miserable because I will lose the friendship of Amelia.

What happened next was amazing Brandon Gee and my other friends came and stood in v formation with me at point it was all part of the pack code. We all agreed to protect each other when need be.

"Stop guys" I whispered I knew that I would have to back out now or there would be a fight.

"No we all agreed you can go we will take care of these ones " Thomas said.

"But there’s only five of you".

"And what about our pack promise “he said.

"And what about Amelia" I retorted.

"Nothing “he answered

"Well she is a shape changer as well and I was meant to be the Alfa of this pack maybe I’ll start a new one" I pointed out.

"If you do that you will have to move out and find your own land" he whispered.

"Or you step down" I suggested.

This got him to stop and think so I took this time to make my move. I pushed one of the bullies and ran making sure to place an unbreakablespell on my friends so they couldn't follow leaving the bullies to come after me.

My plan worked the bullies followed and my friends stayed still, glued to the ground. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they caught me so I left the school grounds and into the woods across the road.

I changed into my wolf form as soon as I was in the cover of the trees. In this form I could run faster than a cheetah or any other wolf like me. It also helped me communicate with other animals meaning I could persuade the other animals in the woods to help me instead of the bullies.

I soon lost the other wolves but I knew they were close because I could hear the thoughts a lot louder than if they far away. I wondered why they hadn't found me yet if I could hear them they should be able to hear me.

"Callum where are you I'm worried " said Amelia

""Over here"" I thought.

""Were I can't see you""she thought

""Wait you can hear my thoughts"" I thought louder now.

""Yes you stupid wolf now get down here"" she thought impatiently

""I'm coming"" I sighed.

""Good” “she thought.

As I jumped from the tree I was in I landed in front of another wolf. Scared I started to growl not knowing who it was.

All of a sudden Amelia came out from behind a tree and told Charlie to stand down. He whimpered but fell back and set up a perimeter. I changed back to my human form so I could talk.

"Hay" I said

"Hi Callum you shouldn't have done that James is angry now and so is Thomas “she said hugging me tight.

"Thomas will calm down but I'm not sure about James “I answered.

"Ok then let’s get to school" she sighed.

The walk back to morph academy was quick and quiet. No body moved as I change into my eagle form and flew up a tree waiting for the head to sound the siren for assembly.

When Bethany came up to comfort me I flew away, I wasn't in the mood for her problems right now.

""LEAVE ME ALONE"" I thought to everyone.

I changed back into human form in my hotel room closing the window after me.Nobody was going to disturb me for a long time.

"" Callum are you ok"" I heard Amelia think.

""No""I thought.

All of a sudden there was a light tapping on my window, I looked out and saw an eagle lightly tapping on the window. I opened the window and it swooped in changing into Amelia 's human form.

"Oh hay"I said.

"Callum you have to stop doing this you should just do as they ask you" she said after a long silence.

"But your my friend and unless you tell me otherwise ill always stand by you" I snapped.

"Ok then just stay out of there way" she sighed.

"You saw what they did this morning".

"Yes but I know that you planed to fight not run away" she countered.

" FINE" I growled.

"Now let me comfort you you've had a bad morning" she said quietly.

"I'm sorry I'm just fed up with all the bullies and I can't take much more. It won't be long before I snap and someone gets hurt" I whispered.

Amelia started to pat my back and said I should be fine as long as I stayed away from her. I kept trying to tell her that I couldn't but each time I started crying.

By the end of the day I was behind on nothing even though I missed first lesson. Amelia stayed close most of the day as if to keep me from doing any thing rash.

When school ended I went to Thomas and the others to apologies for what I had done but I couldn't find them

"That's it I'm fed up with that school I'm leaving" I screamed at the boxing bag.

""Callum are you ok?"I heard someone think.

"Who's there"I said.

""It's Alexandra from school come out you've been in there for days"" she thought.

"Can't you come back later I'm busy" I said as I thumped the boxing bag.

""I'm afraid not""her thoughts were clearer now.

"Fine come in"I hit the bag again and then took of my gloves.

"Hi Callum are you sure you’re ok"Alexandra said.

"I'm fine I just miss Amelia"I said tacking a drink.

"We'll why don't you go see her"she suggested.

"I will when I'm calm"I growled.

"Ok. Do you want to eat?"She asked

"Guess so"I said

As we walked from my room on campus to the campus take away I took a sharp turn back to my room.

""Nice try Alexandra"" I thought

"It wasn't my idea “she cried.

"Then who's"I snapped.

"Ryan Hayley's "she confessed.

"Oh" I said surprised.

"Sorry he can be really persuasive at times" she said.

"Ok" I said "I'll go".

"Good thank you so much" she said suddenly happy.

"Oh hi Callum long time no see"Amelia said when we reached the chippy.

"Hi Amelia I'm sorry about last week" I whispered.

"Oh its fine James was just being a mutt as usual ' marking his territory' ha I belong to no one" she said softly.

"I know but were friends and I don't want to lose that" I said.

"You won't" she said.

"Guys we've got extra class see you later" Amelia said grabbing hold of Ryan and dragging him away.

"Ha more like detention" I laughed.

"Yea probably" Amelia agreed.

"Fancy going and singing" I asked

"No let’s play instrumental" she said.

"Yea that sounds good" I said.

We walked to the music block in silence and set up our equipment ready to play. We were about to start playing when the head teacher came over to tell us about the secret valentine post box. When he saw that we were busy he turned and left.

"That would have been awkward" Amelia said.

"Yup" I said.

Three hours later we left the music block to go have lunch and meet up with Ryan and Alexandra. The only problem was that they were nowhere to be seen. That made three that had gone missing as far as I knew in the last week.

"What is going on that three of my friends gone missing" I said.

"I don't really know" said Amelia.

Well were going to have to get to the bottom of this I don't like it" I said.

Just as I finished speaking my phone rang and the caller I'd was Ryan's so I answered curious as to where he was.

"Where are you and Alexandra" I asked.

"Oh we're at the English block" he said.

"Ok wait there me and Amelia will come to meet you" I told him.

"Ok" he said.

And so we walked to the English block which was good because I had a book that I had written and wanted my English teacher to check it over before I publish to a minors publishing company specifically for under eighteens.

When we entered the English block I when're straight to E17 to hand over my book glad to have remembered.

"What's this" my teacher asked.

"It's the book I told you about two weeks ago" I replied.

"Oh. So what do you want me to do with it" she asked.

"I was hopping that you could correct any spellings" I said.

"Ok come back tomorrow and it should be done" she said.

"Thanks miss, oh and have you seen Ryan or Alexandra anywhere around here" I said.

"No sorry" she replied.

"Ok thanks again and see you tomorrow" I said.

"See you tomorrow Callum" she said.

I walked back down to the door into the English block and saw Ryan and Alexandra kissing in a corner. I thought about leaving them there but they would be kicked out of the school for inappropriate des plays of affection and it would be permanent.

"Right you two heads office now" I said in the same tone as mr Philips.

"What, what, what" Ryan said looking around "oh it's just you".

"Yeah but you should stop now or else" I said.

"Ok, ok, ok boss" he said.

"Now let’s go do something fun" I said.

"We'll WE were" said Alexandra.

Anniepoo103 wrote a review...

Hey man,
This seems to be a pretty good story so far. I think that it is really cool that the characters can communicate without using verbal language. I know it sounds a bit picky but, in your first sentence I would type out the word seven. If you want to be politically correct, any number under 100 is supposed to be typed out.
I really like your hook, it seems like a good place for not only the reader's imagination to start but, also your own.
"What happened next was amazing Brandon Gee and my other friends came and stood in v formation with me at point it was all part of the pack code. We all agreed to protect each other when need be." In this paragraph, you missed a few places where you should have used punctuation which is alright. If I were you, I would have went into more detail. Maybe something like this.
" Then something amazing happened. Brandon Glee and my other friends began to move around me. Before long, we were standing in v formation. It may seem like something silly, like a bunch of wild geese preparing to fly. But, for me it is much more. A symbol, part of our pack code. We have made an agreement to protect each other when needed. For that, I am truly thankful."
There are many other things that you could change about the paragraph. I just feel like that was a good place to add some detail and in a way inform the reader of the situation. It is moments like that one that really get the reader thinking and wondering. That is one of the keys to writing because a bored reader might as well not be reading your story at all. If you don't really catch their attention, they may be thinking about what they are going to do the next day or anything along those lines. I know it seems very over dramatic of me to focus on things like this but, if you really give each paragraph, each sentence, each word that same amount of detail and love...Well your story would be a whole lot better.
""No we all agreed you can go we will take care of these ones " Thomas said." With this I would only change one thing. I know I seem to be contradicting myself now but, too much detail is a bad thing. I would have said "'Man, it's fine. You know as well as I do that we all agreed. You can go, we will take care of this one."
I am sorry to be so picky but, you need to work on your grammar a bit. But, if you continue writing i ma sure that one day you will reach your full potential and do wonderful things. I suggest writing a book of two with another author there to help you and edit with you. Believe me, that alone is enough to change someone's view on the way they write things.
Now to be positive. This may not be what you want to hear but,I feel like you would be good at writing shorter chapter books for kids around the ages of 9-11. That way, you can really capture and use their imagination to your advantage. It is almost like the high school musical series. Many adults find it pointless, you would have to be a student to appreciate it. ( I say almost because I realize that some adults may enjoy it too) But, if you get what I'm saying I hope that you take my advise.
So long,
Anne Throckmorton

theknight says...

thx man this should help in my second draft up and my chapters to follow.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:52 am
tswizzy22 wrote a review...

Hello,

Cool First sentence, I thought it was a pretty good hook. I also liked the concept of the characters being able to talk to each other at all times with their minds. It really gave me a sense of there not being very much privacy in this world.

AS the others have mentioned its a bit choppy at places, but around half way through I was intrigued enough to keep reading the rest of the entry.

I had a bit of trouble remembering which character was which and had to go back and the read the last few sentences a few times.

You strike me as someone who is pretty young, so I think as long as you enjoy writing you should go for it and you will improve with practice.

theknight says...

thx im 16 but I started this book when I was 5 it took a lot of time to dig it up

LeutnantSchweinehund wrote a review...

Hey! I'm here to give you a review. Hopefully, I can point you in the right direction. I'm not a great writer myself by any means, but there are certain flaws in your work that need to be pointed out. This is a review of the first chapter only.

Solid effort, but not good enough for a book, I'm afraid. If I were you, I'd stick to short stories. It's not the same for everyone, sure, but in my humble opinion, short stories give you more practice. That, and you don't really need to worry that much about a solid plot. Writing novels is extraordinarily difficult for a variety of reasons, most of which do not exist in the world of short stories. Just a bit of advice there.

Now to the story itself. As the reviewer below mentioned, it jumps around a lot. You either give too much detail in places where it is not necessary (describing the main character's abilities in wolf form, and we'll get to that part later as well), or you don't give enough details where they'd help me comprehend the story better (the forest scene. I didn't notice you mentioning the MC climbing up a tree). So definitely focus on making a clearer image. Being vague is completely fine, and is actually immensely useful in certain genres, but your story could use more clarity. Remember that even though you see the scene in your head, we can't. You need to describe it as best you can (that doesn't mean the description has to be long, just accurate enough for us to fill in the blanks).

You also have a problem with grammar. Mostly common issues (ex. "no body" -> "nobody", "your not" -> "you're not"), and I assure you that you can overcome this with some reading (I'll get to reading a bit later as well). There's also a clear issue with punctuation. You need to break up your sentences, because if you don't, they have a completely different meaning. I make mistakes in this area as well, and I believe we all do, but again, take a close look at that (ex. "where I can't see you" refers to a place where she cannot see him. "Where? I can't see you." is what you were going for, I think). See the completely different meaning of both sentences?

Too much exposition at certain points. That ties into the classic "show, don't tell" rule. I'm not really a supporter of that rule, as exclusively showing can be immensely tedious and often slows down the flow of a story, but make sure you don't bring it to a grinding halt with the opposite either. Don't tell us that he's faster than a cheetah, show him running through the woods. Don't tell us that he can speak to animals, show him doing it and using that ability to his advantage. Too much exposition can really break a reader's immersion.

Now, I might contradict myself a bit, but at the beginning, you don't give enough exposition. We don't know where this story is set, when it is set, what the characters can do, and so the shapeshifting and spellweaving comes as a fairly confusing surprise. You didn't really lead up to it in any significant way, which you definitely want to do when engaging a reader in your world. Some exposition is good, some blank spaces are good, but too much exposition paired with too many blank spaces is hell for a reader.

Dialogue seems alright. It's not perfect, and some of the lines don't really seem too believable, but that's something you polish with practice. Again, takes time. I highly doubt anyone here is a master of believable dialogue (yet).

I may have missed some details, I may not have. In any case, you keep on writing. Forget about writing books for now, they bring misery. Read books instead. Read whatever genre you yourself intend to write primarily. Short stories are excellent for practice, and you seem like a person who completes what they start. That's just my opinion, it might be completely wrong, but that's how it is for me.

Good luck mate. Practice is the key to everything. Talent can only get us so far.

Aleta wrote a review...

Aleta here for a review. I read most of this chapter, and found that it seemed to jump around a bit. You never really explained how the main character's friends suddenly popped out of nowhere to help him confront the bullies, and if you did it was unclear. It was a bit surprising that the main character was a shapeshifter, as that wasn't really introduced earlier and it seemed like more of a normal story. Because the pace of the story jumps around so much it's a bit difficult to pick up information. In order to allow the reader to adjust, you'd probably need to be more detailed and specific about what's going on.

Grammar
'The biggest one of them walked up me and started talking.'
Correction: The biggest one of them walked up to me and started talking.

Correction: braced, not braised.

"OH SURE YOU CAN" he screamed.
Correction: You've already stated he screamed, so I'd suggest not putting in caps but rather just using an exclamation point instead.

"Why" I knew but I wanted to be sure.
Correction: Question mark after why.

Correction: What happened next was amazing. Brandon Gee and the rest of my friends came and stood in v-formation with me. It was all part of the pack code, and so they were bound by blood to protect each other when need be. (make sure to explain how they got there in the first place - still doesn't make sense how they just suddenly appeared)

"But there’s only five of you".
Correction: Period goes inside of the dialogue not out.

unbreakablespell on my friends
Random thought: So the characters have the powers to shape shift, read thoughts, and cast spells. Where is this all coming from? I'd suggest in the next chapter to introduce some sort of lore so it would make sense. Why were they given these powers - to protect, perhaps?

Correction: My plan worked. The bullies followed me and my friends stayed still, glued to the ground. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they caught me, so I left the school grounds and bolted into the woods across the road.

""Over here"" I thought.

""Were I can't see you""she thought
Correction: Why are you using double the dialogue marks for this? If the characters are thinking, just make sure to italicize it. Also, on the second line it is 'Where? I can't see you, she thought.'

Correction: *hoping

I only grazed over grammar, but I hope I helped a bit. I'll try to read the next chapter as well.

theknight says...

thanks so much ill look into putting in these

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson