12+ Language Violence

At the Throat of the World

by theironnovelist

Lydia huffed, swinging the heavy pack over her opposite shoulder as it began to slide off once more. "Sure you didn't pick up enough mead at Belethor's?" she murmured to the Dragonborn sarcastically.

Belethor's General Goods was one of several shops in the Plains District within the city of Whiterun, where they had recently stopped for a quick trade and bite to eat. Well, 'quick', as Dragonborn had put it. After eating at The Drunken Huntsman, he proceeded to drag his housecarl Lydia into the Bannered Mare. Wanted to hear some man with a lute or thing of the sort. That, of course, made that afternoon longer than Lydia had hoped.

Now on the stretch to evening, she trekked up the mountainside to High Hrothgar behind her thane and companion, the Dragonborn himself. The legendary Dovahkiin, born with the blood of the dragons of Akatosh. 

The savior of all the land Tamriel stretched over...

"Lydia! Hear that? Frost troll!"

Lydia lifted her head and furrowed her brow as she stopped with Dragonborn, who had clearly ignored her earlier comment. When she, too, heard the groaning of the troll in the distant blizzard, she wrinkled her nose. "I don't like the sound of that."

"Are you kidding? I want to see what kind of bone I can get out of that."

"Dragonborn! I can assure you it's in our best interest to keep going."

Too late. He was already drawing his hunting bow.

Lydia swallowed. She was sworn to fight by his side. Reluctantly, she unsheathed a simple iron sword. 

Dragonborn began sneaking up towards the creature hiding out between two walls of the icy rock, and his housecarl obediently followed. Nocking an arrow quietly, he knelt beside a particularly tall Standing Stone; he made a quick mental note to stop by that later and pick up its power.

Dragonborn began counting, his breath freezing in the air.

"Three...two..."

On his last count, he released.

The arrow pierced the white-haired beast in the back. Growling in rage, it turned to show its beady eyes and fangs.

And then it began to charge.

Lydia's eyes grew wide and she sipped in a cold breath. "Damn."

"Run," Dragonborn scrambled up.

The two began fleeing as the troll sprinted after them on all fours. Its paws beating against the snow-covered ground, its breathing huffed through its nostrils-- it was all drawing nearer.

Lydia turned her gaze briefly to the side where her thane ran with her; he was lighter on his feet even with his heavier armor. He didn't have all the weight of the packs she had to carry.

Even so, Lydia noticed that look in his eyes.

He was going to use his Thu'um. His Voice. The power of Shouts in the Dragon language to bring forth magic upon his own body.

Dragonborn opened his mouth and with great strength Shouted, "Wuld... nah kest!" Whirlwind Sprint.

He flew forward with a speed unmatched by any winged creature. By the time the power had worn off, Dragonborn was merely a speck in the distance to Lydia.

She cried out, now panicking. The troll was on her heels. She had no such power as her thane. 

"DRAGONBORN!" she screamed.

All she felt was the burning in her lungs and the cold biting harshly at her limbs and her face. 

And then...an incredible gust of wind coming past her.

And suddenly she was being carried.

The scene was a blur; Lydia gasped, clutching onto Dragonborn's neck. From behind her, she could barely make out the image of the frost troll lunging forward, his claw outstretched.

Judging by Dragonborn's scream, then, he had scraped a good gash in his back. But the destined one kept running. So quickly, in fact, Lydia had been sure he was using magic. She knew it wasn't possible, though, with so much effort on him and his new wound.

Leaving a trail of blood in their path, Dragonborn and his housecarl lost the creature's track gradually, finally collapsing under a stone-roofed shelter under a small peak.

Lydia rolled beside Dragonborn, panting. She couldn't imagine what he felt like.

Hastily, she dug into one of their packs for a potion. "I'm sorry," she breathed, clearing her throat in hopes to cover the emotion in her voice. 

"My fault," Dragonborn managed, wiping sweat-drenched hair from his forehead and limply reaching for a health potion. "I shouldn't...have run like that..."

Lydia assisted him in getting the red liquid down; it burned down his throat and made a warm feeling in the pit of his stomach. 

"No," she said surprisingly quietly. "Might as well use that power when you can. If you didn't have it, the world wouldn't think a thing of you."

Dragonborn mused, breathing a little laugh. "I suppose you're right."

Lydia stood, thinking about this. Had she offended him? She hoped not. Dragonborn was not easily offended. 

She looked out over the valleys and rivers below, then overhead at the path they had to follow. Just a short ways to High Hrothgar.

"Rest," she told Dragonborn, sitting by his side. "We're almost at the Throat of the World."

scifyfantacywriter01 wrote a review...

I LOVE IT! Big Skyrim fan. few things though, there aren't any grammar or spelling that I found but I want more details. Think if someone hasn't played the game. Give them some description of the mountain, the troll, what kind of armor the Dragonborn is wearing, and Lyida too. Other than that, its beautiful.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 pm
MarbleToast says...

I believe Urag was wanting a copy of this.

At The Throat of The World
Unrelenting Force and Whirlwind Sprint recharge 30% faster.

Good to know I'm not the only TES 'know-it-all' =)

Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 am
pendr says...

You're such a nerd. XD hehe. But this actually looks good, so I'll read it sometime :D

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:35 am
lostthought wrote a review...

Ah, yes. A fellow Skyrim person. I haven't really used Lydia much. No offense to her, but I like mercenaries better. Anyhow, take a late and belated Welcome! Happy review day!

Nitpicks- I thought you get that shout AFTER visiting the Graybeards. By this, I think this is your first time up there!

WAIT, THERE'S A STANDING STONE ON THAT MOUNTAIN I DON'T REMEMBER THAT!

I hate that frost troll. Luckily I'm skilled in the art of climbing the rocks and attacking it secretly from above. I need three hundred arrows before I go anywhere because that's how I kill strong things (Trolls, Giants, Dragons, Mammoths).

Lydia is loyal, I'll give her that. But companions have no sense of self-interest. They'll always attack, even on the verge of death! So Lydia should've kept attacking that Frost Troll.

~Lost

True, there were some things out of order to make it a story and not so much a guide to skyrim. XD (and I've found if you just keep running you lose sight of the trolls). Maybe dragonborn had learned the shout, gone back for some sidequests, and went back up to see Paarthanox. Whatever lol. Thanks for the review!

I always use my husband instead of Lydia XD

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:11 am
BookWolf wrote a review...

Skyrim! I absolutely love Skyrim. Right when you said Dragonborn I knew what was going on. You are obviously a skilled writer and I enjoyed the smoothness of the words you chose. This a very exciting short story and I would really enjoy reading something else of yours.

As for criticism, I couldn't really find anything wrong with the story. Other than, of course, you used someone else's idea. But you could also make an effort to be a little more descriptive, and maybe make a few of your sentences more complex.

Great over all story, I really liked it! :D

~BookWolf

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery