z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

stand still at the edge of the world

by thefreakfantastic


a/n: don't let the first verse confuse you, the rhyme scheme is abccd.

Girl of glass,

With no future; with no past,

Beyond the bone,

Time left alone,

A stand still at the edge of the world,

**

Boy of aluminum,

Weak will; bending backward,

Beyond the eyes,

Halting the heavenly skies,

A stand still at the edge of the world,

**

Woman of paper,

Smooth edges; fuel to the fire,

Beyond the soul,

Heaven and Hell become whole,

A stand still at the edge of the world.

**

Man of cloth,

Protective; follows blindly,

Beyond the heart,

Stopping the endless start,

A stand still at the edge of the world.

**

Beyond the bone,

Time left alone,

Beyond the eyes,

Halting the heavenly skies,

Beyond the soul,

Heaven and Hell become whole,

Beyond the heart,

Stopping the endless start,

A stand still at the edge of the world. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 4517
Reviews: 55

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 am
DarshayataDeka wrote a review...



Hi! Welcome to YWS!! Thought I'd drop in for a quick review.

This poem is simply AMAZING!!! I loved it. In this age of competition and materialism, this poem has a great relevance and importance. It portrays the condition of the weak and the sad so well.

I did not notice any grammatical mistakes as such. Writing phrases instead of complete sentences somehow made the poem more realistic and emotional. You used punctuation marks wherever required and the words were written well. I liked the rhyme scheme.

Now coming to the actual content of the poem. It was full of poetic emotions and thoughts. I don't have many words to describe its beauty. All I can say is that I loved it very much. You rarely get to read a poem which is so beautiful and simple (yet something mysterious). Your creativity and talent shines in every line. Keep up the good work!




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 2883
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:45 am
midnightdreary wrote a review...



Hi! I'd just like to start off by saying that this poem is so relaxing to read. Especially since you don't really use full sentences throughout. I also just loved the line "A stand still at the edge of the world." That being said, this i don't think this is going to be a very long review, but let's get into it, shall we?

So I have four small things for you to look out for which are kind of nitpicky.

The first one is that stand still should be one word. Stand still and stand still have two different meanings and from the context of the rest of your poem, I think standstill is the thing you were going for.

The second is your punctuation. So you're fine with capitalization, but you have a comma after every line in your stanza but the last one. I think the flow would work better if you had a full stop after the first two lines of each stanza, so adding a period at the end of them.

The third thing is the line "Halting the heavenly skies". I agree with myjaspercat that you should take out the "the" so that the flow is a little better.

The fourth is your line "with no future; with no past". I think it would work better if you took out the "with" in "with no past". Although, I feel like you might have a syllable scheme that I'm not getting.

So some other comments.
I'd just like to put it out there that I basically had no idea what you're saying in this poem, especially in the third and fourth lines of your stanzas.

I think I do get that with the first two lines, you're comparing the "material" If each person to their personality. I thought the way you did that is super cool.

Your repetition is wonderful. With many poems, repetition can get well... repetitive, but with your poem, you're able to make the repetition varied and interesting. There's the "a stand still at the edge of the world" which I mentioned before. Then there's the "beyond the". I also liked how you bring back all the middle lines at the end of the poem. (Ahh I feel like those lines are important but I'm just so terrible at analysis).

Anyway, I hope this review was helpful!




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 826
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 am
bvbAngel wrote a review...



Wow okay so I am here to leave you a review if you do not mind!!! Personally I loved this, there is a few errors but nothing I have seen very major.in the second stanza I personally would add a "s" on the end of backwards..
Then when you say halting the heavenly skies, I would take out the word "the" I'm that line.
I noticed that you have commas at the end of every stanza. I'm bit sure if you know it or not but you don't have to have commas all the way through it. In some places you can add a period instead of a comma, to in my opinion make it more complete, less of I guess a run on.

I want to say that with his piece it was pretty good. I like the rhyme scheme you had going and I like the story I got behind this poem. It really ran smoothly and sounded as if it was all meant to go where it did, luke the words and the rhyming didn't sound forced to fit.

Welcome to YWS!!! And I hope to see more work from you in the future. I want to thank you for sharing this piece. Keep writing!!!:)

~bvbAngel<3




User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 16
Reviews: 265

Donate
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:49 am
myjaspercat wrote a review...



Hey there thefreakfantastic, welcome to YWS!
Myjaspercat here to leave you a review

Nit-Picks

Weak will; bending backward,
I would add an 's' at the end of backward,

Halting the heavenly skies,
I would take out "the" in this line. I just feel like it would flow better without the "the."

Overall

The first thing I wanted to point out is that at the end of every stanza you have a paragraph however in the first two you have commas. I don't know if this was done stylistically but reading through it, I think it would be best if you changed the two commas in the first two stanzas into periods.

Second, I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but you do not have to have punctuation at the end of every line just as you don't have to have capitalization at the beginning of every line. For the whole capitalization thing, think about it this way; if you were to move the lines of your poem around until they looked like a paragraph, you wouldn't want to have randomly capitalized words in the middle of a sentence. Apply that here. For the punctuation, sometimes it's better to have nothing there -the enjambment and the lines stark "nakedness" can actually do a lot for the emotions that you're trying to get through. But, that's all just a thought to chew upon.

Finally, I noticed that you have the extra space in between each line. Since you're new here I don't know if you know this or not but, if you want to get rid of the extra space all you have to do is hit "shift+enter" instead of just "enter" when you start a new line.

Final Thoughts
All in all, I really thought that this was a good poem. I really enjoyed and while I typically dislike poems that rhymed, I think it worked pretty well for this piece. Good job. If you have questions feel free to ask. Good luck and continue writing.





Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly