z

Young Writers Society



A beautiful promising life...Indeed

by tanya98


I really need a review! becasue

a) it's an english project

b) it has marks (I think)

c) I have to 'thaf' a girl in my class who keeps running me down !!!!

and so I conclude I need a review and a like would be nice ! Oh and it's about road saftey . Here it is :

A Beautiful Promising Life…INDEED

Guilt cannot be defined properly, but it can be felt. Right now my head felt heavy, my bones felt heavy, each inch of my body felt heavy, but my heart felt the heaviest. That’s how guilt felt and I was feeling it. That night changed all our lives. A group of us friends, Danny, Ray ,Marylyn, Alessandra and me, Kevin. Alessandra and me were walking behind Danny, Ray and Marylyn. The three of them were dancing and singing while Alessandra and me were talking about the accounts homework, television shows and we were laughing. Our laughter was cut short when we heard a terrible scream. A fight had started between Ray and Marylyn. It started out as a verbal fight, slowly tiny pushes came and finally it became a physical one. Everyone tried to stop the fight but then something horrible happened, it would scar us for the rest of our lives.

POLICE HEADQUARTERS

Jack and Bob were listening to their senior Mr. Pandey.

“Now listen, I want the recording of the camera in Sector 31and I want identification of the dead girl and the guy who owned the car.”

“Yes boss” They both said and stood there.

“Well, what are you looking at then? My moustache ?” Pandey said while rasing his voice with every word.

Jack and Bob walked off.

Pandey sat in his chair trying to think what might have happened. His thought was interrupted with the beep of the fax machine.

He took the paper out and started reading it.

Alessandra Black. 19 years. Studies at UAC. Lives in Minto, Oleary. No criminal records. Father died when she was a toddler, mother works at a grocery store as a cashier. No siblings. Has not been in contact with other family members.

Pandey read the information, trying to connect invisible dots, but soon figured out nothing, was there to join. Pandey asked Jack and Bob to come in and they did so.

“Got anything about the car owner ?” Pandey asked while sitting back down into his seat and twirling the paper weight in his hand .

“Yeah we got a Mr. Anderson, lives ten minutes from here.” Jack said.

“Call him, here . We have a few questions that need to be answered.” Pandey said while getting up and walking away.

INTEROGATION ROOM

“Do you know this girl Mr. Anderson?” Pandey asked while handing over the photo.

“No.” answered Mr. Anderson.

“Listen, either you can come clean, or stay a night in custody with Jack and Bob.” Pandey said while pointing at the two officers, and they cracked their knuckles.

“No. I haven’t seen her.” He said while leaning a bit in front.

“Where were you two nights from today?” Jack asked placing one hand on the table .

“I was at the office. I went home late that day. Too much work” Mr. Anderson said .

“Listen bub! Tell me, did you crash into this girl or not!” Pandey screamed. His neck veins popped when he yelled and he balled his fists so tight, his knuckles went white.

Mr. Anderson cracked like an egg and spilled out the whole thing of how he was busy sending a text message on his cell phone that night and the girl just jumped out of nowhere.

“Lock him up.” Pandey said while getting up and walking out .

ALESSANDRA’S FUNERAL

It was like nature was sad to see Alessandra dead. The whether was cold, damp, humid. The moon had an eerie glow to it. The tree’s swayed slightly casting odd shadows on the floor. The dogs barked occasionally. The formalities were taking place when Pandey entered. He, Jack and Bob took a seat behind. Kevin was speaking when they entered. He said “Alessandra, wasn’t just a friend, she kept our group together,she was proton and neutron and we were the electrons of her nucleus, she had so much to give but, had to go. She was amazing. Rest in Peace Alessandra.” He stepped down from the podium, and sat in the front isle. People talked about Alessandra, how she was, what she had waiting for her in life and so on. They cracked the case open.

A BEAUTIFUL, PROMISING LIFE WASTED .

Someone had to pay with her life for someone else’s mistake. Had Mr. Anderson not been texting and the friends not been playing, nudging or pushing on the pavement in their fun-filled frivolous mood, had both the parties been careful while on the road, all would have been well with them. A beautiful, promising life wasted.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 210 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 1031
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:06 am
NicholasStone says...



Overall, it was a very interesting story, but could use some work.

More information, please.

Reading this, I was a little confused. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, and I had to read it again. You go from a verbal fight, to a fist fight, to a police station and something about a wrecked car. Whoa. Slow down, pal! Add some more information about the fight. Maybe a small scene. Have some of the sentences from the fight. But you went straight from the fight, to a police station with a random car wreck. How did this happen? Reading on later, for the third time, I was successfully locate the small part that mentions how she remotely died. The guy hit her on accident, but why? Add something from his point of view. More words. More detail. Where was he driving from? Where was he going to? Was anything on his mind? Details are everything, and you left a lot of gaps. It was like you took out the middle of a bridge on the way across it. Connect the information together. And I understand that they were in a fight, but add more to that too. Did somebody push her into the road? Did she storm off in anger and get hit? More detail. But your ending was weak. It needs more power, something to leave the reader with tears in their eyes. Something that I will read again and again, just to make sure I read it right.

Other than that, just a few grammatical errors. This was a very good story, but all first drafts have their errors. Fix the errors, and you have a brilliant masterpiece!




User avatar
163 Reviews


Points: 4987
Reviews: 163

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:47 am
Kit wrote a review...



Keep in mind there are many ways to tell a story and my opinion or your teacher's isn't nearly as important as yours. My overall impression is you are cramming a lot into a small space, and so the tone is a little erratic, which may be taking away some of the emotional impact. The way I saw it, the story is a cautionary tale 1) Don't text and drive 2) Pay attention when approaching traffic 3) Take care of your friends, because they are precious and you would be lost without them.

Some of the things that would open out this piece is "show, don't tell".

Alessandra and me were talking about the accounts homework, television shows and we were laughing.

Everything happens very quickly, which is fine if you're talking about the confusion of the accident itself, but you introduce five people, and we don't really know that much about any of them. If you actually wrote the dialogue here, instead of saying what they talked about, we might get a better impression of Alessandra and then feel sadder when she dies. If we don't know her, she is just a word on a page, make us feel it. The details in the aftermath are good, but really they are all second hamd accounts, which are harder to convey character with. Or alternately, you could say something like, I don't even know what we were talking about, some tv show, it all seems so stupid now. Better written than I just put it, but it can be hazy too if that's how you want it.

Everyone tried to stop the fight but then something horrible happened, it would scar us for the rest of our lives.


I think it would be good too to have a bit more on the accident. You don't have to reveal that it was Alessandra who was hit, but the sound of the car, the smell of the rubber, the blood, more physical triggers. Also it would be good to give an indication that it was a hit and run, have the car speeding off, or one of the friends giving a description of the car and license plates.

There are a few technicalities in the police sections. Pick a rank for the superior officer, policemen usually hve a Sergeant or Detective Inspector or Constable. Wikipedia police rank or something, it's just a little detail, but he probably wouldn't be "Mr". Likewise, in interrogation, they might not refer to the officers by their first names to a suspect, it puts them on equal terms which is less intimidating.

Nice details establishing the funeral scene. "Weather" not "whether", that one can get past spellcheck pretty easily.

It's an interesting way to show this story, and I hope to see more from you. I hope you get way better marks than that chick in English, I'm sure she's got nothing on you :)





The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness