z

Young Writers Society



Sulli 1

by Satira


This is the start of a story I've been trying to get running straight for a few months now. I've uploaded one beginning, or version, if you will, to the site, but...yeah. I didn't like it. so I'm hitting the 'reset' button.

The cobblestones were rough under his bare feet, warmer than the muggy air, and covered in several layers of mud and dust that Sulli could feel sticking to him. The small, blurred forms of animals darted across his path, making him stop and start again clumsily, over and over.

There were people all around, but they were neater for some reason, neater than the animals and the bleeding energy that covered everything and leaked everywhere. They lined up on one side of every street, never both sides, trying to sell things or just sitting on makeshift stools and watching the world go by listlessly. Many of them wore masks across their noses and mouths.

Once or twice a pedestrian might appear, shambling hurriedly down the middle of the road, in which circumstance the vendors would stare hungrily, predatorily at them like starved foxes, mentally urging them to buy something. But as Sulli noticed, hardly anyone ever did. It seemed so futile.

He stopped at one woman’s booth after a few hours of feeling sickeningly lost.

She had very tired-looking clothes on, patchy, mismatched. Her mask was a faded grey-pink piece of cloth. Sulli, who was nearly blind, couldn’t perceive the signs of age very well- strands of grey were drowned in brown, wrinkles blurred to smoothness- but he could tell she was old. She stooped a little, and her eyes were milky with cataracts, set deep in her tanned skin.

The table smelled acrid and wet. Dead animals littered it, squirrels and rabbits and mice, their fur russet with their own blood. Sulli felt sick. He knew that the people here ate meat, but it didn’t mean he had to like it.

He pressed on.

“Excuse me-” he started. The woman cut him off with a cackle like burning leaves.

“This one’s a looker,” she crowed. “Look at ‘im. Danny, Hey, get over here!” There was a muffled voice from beyond the booth, somewhere inside the crumbling building behind the table.

“Dan! Dan. Leave it, you gotta look at this fella!”

Sulli felt uncomfortably exposed, but he tried to ignore it. He addressed the old woman again, raising his voice a little. “I just really need directions, please.” he added,” I can pay you if you want.”

The woman’s cruel laugh tapered abruptly at the mention of payment. She was starving for it.

A large man shuffled into view He rubbed his forehead with his hand tiredly, and Sulli was alarmed to see that it left a red imprint there, like paint.

“Whaddya want, Ratsy?”

“Takea look.” The woman picked up a rabbit by its tied feet and waved it at the boy in front of her carelessly.

The man leaned over the table hulkingly. His hands were huge, the left one crushing the velvet ear of one of the larger corpses, obscuring it from Sulli’s view. His beady dark gaze looked into Sulli’s darker one. He wore no mask.

“ Yeah. Yeah, Ratsy, that’s a nice catch you got there.” The man seemed to talk to Sulli, but his words were directed at the woman-Ratsy. Sulli wasn’t sure if she was his mother or his wife. They probably had weird mating habits, too.

“Excuse me, sir,” Sulli repeated. “I need directions to a healer. Do you know a healer?”

The man, Dan, ignored him. He reached his large, blood-wet fingers out to pinch the material of Sulli’s shirtsleeve. “Soft,” he mused. His other hand brushed his own course, heavy vest almost longingly.

“It’s cotton,” Sulli said, flinching off the large man’s touch. “Do you have directions to a healer?”

“How much you want for that shirt?” the man asked.

“Um. it’s not for sale. I just-”

“Hell, it isn’t,” Dan said. “Everything’s for sale. All you gotta do’s name a price, kiddling.”

Sulli swallowed. “I’ll get cold,” he said. “It gets cold soon, sir.” It was a lie. He never got cold. Ever.

The woman next to Danny put a gnarled hand on Sulli’s shoulder. he shuddered.

“Well, now, the woman said. He could hear her teeth in her words, and he pictured him sharp like a dog’s, sharp like tiny mountains. Like the mountains he could see so far away from home.

“Can’t help you if you won’t help us. Now, if you are gonna be buying something, r’if you wanna sell that nice bitta cloth, then, well, we’re always here.”

Ratsy looked at the large man, who smiled with her suddenly, and they burst into laughter.

“Well, sometimes we’re always here,” she laughed, her voice painfully smoke-roughened, muffled underneath her mask. “Sometimes…”

“Sometimes,” Dan echoed. He slammed a hand on the table heartily, and a fleck of red flew onto Ratsy’s face. She didn't bother to wipe it away. Maybe she didn't notice.

“Oh,” said Sulli dumbly. “Um, well, well.. I’ll buy something from you, then. I’ll, I’ll buy a… mouse.” He touched the nearest animal on the table, tracing it until he found the tail and dangling it in front of his face, and trying to be casual. He wanted to throw up. This was so disrespectful... Poor little mouse.

“That’s a rat,” said the old woman. “Juicier than a mouse.” 

:) hope you enjoyed


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:34 am
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review! Yours is the first piece I’ve reviewed in a couple of months, so apologies in advance if I’m a bit out of practice.

This was a really intriguing opening to your story. It raises a lot of interesting questions, such as who Sulli is and why he needs a healer – is it to cure his sight or because of some other ailment or wound he sustained? Is it for someone else? Also, I like the simple way you described the world – mentioning just a few details like the weird mating habits (showing that Sulli is a stranger to this land) the starving vendors (implying that the place is rundown and poor) make me want to read on and learn more about it. I found it quite easy to picture because those were the sorts of details I could imagine, and you’ve built a convincing (at least in the context of the story) world.

“That’s a rat,” said the old woman. “Juicier than a mouse.”


Ohh, I loved this bit. It definitely made me smile, and was a really good place to end the chapter (or section, or whatever it’s meant to be) Although, I’m a little surprised that people who were starving would sell the little food they had.

He stopped at one woman’s booth after a few hours of feeling sickeningly lost.


I feel like this bit was a little abrupt and felt a bit of a jolt here, because you’ve suddenly jumped quite a big time gap. Perhaps you could describe Sulli getting lost, or something, just to make it feel like less of a leap?

Sulli, who was nearly blind, couldn’t perceive the signs of age very well- strands of grey were drowned in brown, wrinkles blurred to smoothness- but he could tell she was old.


Now personally, I thought his blindness could have been introduced, or at least hinted at, earlier. Perhaps when you’re describing the scene right at the very beginning, you could mention it. How does Sulli cope with this disability? Does he rely more heavily on his other senses, for instance?

It was a lie. He never got cold. Ever.


This bit was really intriguing… I’m not sure if Sulli’s some kind of superhuman who can’t feel the cold, or if he’s simply just tough. Whatever it is, I’m sure we’ll find out later.

“Well, sometimes we’re always here,” She laughed, her voice painfully smoke-roughened, muffled underneath her mask. “Sometimes…”


I especially liked this bit, it makes me wonder if they’re ghosts or something, but I’m obviously not really sure.

A couple of very brief nitpicks because I know you don’t really like them:

picked up a rabbit by it’s tied feet


It should be “its” rather than “it’s”.

“Well, sometimes we’re always here,” She laughed


If the “she laughed” is a speech tag, it shouldn’t be capitalised. If not, put a full stop (period) instead of a comma at the end of the speech.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading it and I definitely feel like I’ve missed out by not reviewing for so long. Feel free to let me know when you upload the next section – I can’t promise to review it, but I will try my best to read it! :D




Satira says...


thank you, steam!



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 366
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm
faunafaun wrote a review...



Okay. Overall, I liked it. The only part that confused me was int the beginning, which is not good. This:
"Sulli was not prepared for Rynth. It was too much.

He couldn’t make anything out of the whirring, blunted colors, or the sounds that faded as quickly as they appeared. He couldn’t concentrate. There were so many animals. So many people.

He was terrified because he couldn’t see; he was already mostly blind, and had been for a long time, but it had rarely been a problem. But that was in a loosely packed village of a scant hundred. Where the loudest noise was the occasional cry of the raven overhead.

There was too much chaos to concentrate, no rhythm in the earth that he could follow, like at home, or even in the desert of hollow buildings, the miles and miles of them that stretched in all directions around the equally large beating heart of the city. Everything about this place was fast and random.

He couldn’t see. He thought about turning back right then and there, at the smudge of the first plume of smoke. As his stomach jolted and his head spun, he seriously considered it.

But where would he go back to?"
I think that your story would go quite well without this little introduction before the actual story. I was kind of confused, because I was thrust upon these immediately intense settings and wasn't eased into the story.
This is just my opinion. But after I got passed that, the sequence of Sulli with the cobblestones under his feet--RIGHT THERE is when I started to picture a town, and Sulli in it bare-footed. And at that point, I was totally ready to read it.
So, really good, I think. I would love to see it finished!!
faunafaun:out




Satira says...


thank you!



Satira says...


yes, your criticism is totally correct. I'm going to delete that intro right...now.



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 878
Reviews: 77

Donate
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:32 pm
AdjiFlex says...



This is incredibly good.




Satira says...


aww, thanks!! :D




I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26