Just Another Girl-Chapter 1

by stayingstrong

The breeze blows through the window, brushing her hair. Eyelids fluttering she awakens. She rolls over moaning as if in pain. Another day she thinks as She Kicks the thin blankets off her skinny body. She gets up and walks over to the window and leans on the windowsill, staring out to the world before her. She dresses in faded jeans and a big sweatshirt that is worn with holes by the elbows. She pulls on some converse and heads towards the front door. Running down the stairs she thinks silently of literally nothing. She hops on a rusting bike and sets off for the big city. There its almost deserted only the kind of people who are lost in a state of loneliness and confusion. Entering the heart of the city she hops off her bike. She joins others sitting on the grand stairs once leading up to a bank. Beth looms up to the flawless sky and thinks why? What's the point?

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 am

Okay, well, this is a very interesting choice of first chapter right there, it is quite small for a first chapter, and honestly, this does seem to only have enough happening here to be included in the first paragraph of a first chapter, so yeah, if this is going to actually be the first chapter of this here story, you really do want to try and add a few more things to it.

Besides the slight lack of content though, the content that we actually do have here is pretty good, it showcases sort of the mental and physical state of our protagonist in a pretty good amount of detail right there, it all seems to give off a very relaxed vibe for the most part especially towards the start with everything sounding rather routinely there, it captures that title quite well in that regard.

And I do love that ending, its not too strange, but its just about suspicious enough that as a reader you really want to find out more about what could've happened there, and so it makes this just that little bit mysterious. All in all, not a bad start to a novel here, but I do think you could probably add a bit more if this is in fact going to be the first chapter of this story.

Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 am
Ivy19Elizabeth wrote a review...

Honestly, I don't think this was long enough. There are some grammar mistakes that you should fix, but I'm not going to repeat what you've already heard. Most of all I just don't think it makes sense. I don't see how this is a whole chapter if it's just describing what she did.

I guess the writing is okay (sorry to be harsh). I can't honestly say what the plot or storyline is because it doesn't tell us anything. Honestly, I don't see why you posted a single paragraph. You should try making the first sentence a little more interesting.

Sorry I was a little mean.

~Ivy

silentpatronus wrote a review...

Howdy!

I'm going to review your work! :)

From looking at it I notice two things:
1) It is very short, if all your 'chapters' are this short then perhaps it should be a short story? Maybe you should bulk it out a little.
2) There is no structure to it. Currently it is just a paragraph. If this is all you're going to keep in your chapter then you need to separate it out.

Another day she thinks as She Kicks the thin blankets off her skinny body.

I'm sorry but you've repeated 'she' so many times I'm getting fed up of it. Is there anyway you can rephrase it. It just seems a little uneven. Also, 'She Kicks' - these words don't need to be capitalised.

She pulls on some converse and heads towards the front door.

You don't pull on 'some converse'. You need to rephrase this.

There its almost deserted only the kind of people who are lost in a state of loneliness and confusion.

I think you mean 'it's' rather than 'its'.

Beth looms up to the flawless sky and thinks why? What's the point?

Put the thought in speech marks. It should be "Why? What's the point?"

This isn't too bad. It just feels like there isn't enough to it. I definitely think you need to explain something. All this 'she' stuff doesn't seem to help. I get where you're going but you could probably expand the surroundings more than focusing on what 'she' is doing.

But I can't wait to find out where you're going with this!

Omni wrote a review...

Here to review!

My name is Omniyus. I will be reviewing this work today.

This is pretty short, so I will be putting it all in quotes and my notes and comments will be in red.

The breeze blows through the window, brushing her hair. Eyelids fluttering#FF0000 ">, she awakens. She rolls over moaning as if in pain. Another day#FF0000 ">, she thinks as She Kicks#FF0000 ">I don't understand why this is capitalized the thin blankets off her skinny body. She gets up and walks over to the window and leans on the windowsill, staring out to the world before her. She dresses in faded jeans and a big sweatshirt that is worn with holes by the elbows. She pulls on some converse and heads towards the front door. Running down the stairs she thinks silently of literally nothing#FF0000 ">Just kind of being nit-picky, you can never not think of anything. If you are, then you are dead, and I don't think she is dead.. She hops on a rusting bike and sets off for the big city. There it#FF0000 ">'s almost deserted only the kind#FF0000 ">I think you meant "the only kind of people who#FF0000 ">live here? something along those lines are lost in a state of loneliness and confusion. Entering the heart of the city she hops off her bike. She joins others sitting on the grand stairs once leading up to a bank. Beth looms up to the flawless sky and thinks why? What's the point?#FF0000 ">This is the worst cliffhanger I have ever read, and not in a bad way. Why what? What is the point? I am asking the same thing as the MC.

Please post some more, I would love to see more of this! I am interested! Make more! Post more! Have I said enough? I guess so.

I hope this helps
Omniyus

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:22 am
PollarBear14 wrote a review...

If this is the whole first chapter then I don't think it's enough. There is not enough here to draw us in. You have just described a few mundane events and have not included any details to spark our interest. Consider making it longer, don't be so brief when talking about things like the journey to the city. Consider how far from the city she is, what the differences between her home environment and the city are, does she feel comfortable there or not? You need to add in some extra details to engage the reader with both the plot and the setting.
Good luck.
Pollarbear

Thanks for the advice and I agree with you 100% I will edit it like right now!

Thanks for the advice and I agree with you 100% I will write a second draft soon, this was just to see see whether people liked it or not.

Okay one last post this is NOT all of chapter one so yeah its longer than this

stayingstrong says...

This is the first draft so not the best but I can accept criticism it helps me become a better writer! Part

Let me finish...
Part of the story is based on my story.

The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare