z

Young Writers Society



i would've called you

by soundofmind


Author's Note: If you're able, please read along to my recording of me singing and playing this song! Click here to listen!

I had a dream that you watched me die
You stood from afar as the car came by
You did nothing while I was in pain
Rolled under, over in the rough terrain

If I knew you saw me when I went under the wheels
Laying down and waiting for the crushing I would feel

I would’ve called you for help

I saved my sister from the coming truck
Pushed her in time it was a stroke of luck
But I had time to save myself as well
But didn’t try to and instead I fell

If I knew you saw me when I went under the wheels
Laying down and waiting for the crushing I would feel

I would’ve called you for help
'Cause God knows I can't save myself

Will you help me
Do you love me
Do you see the pain I’m in
I’m hanging on for dear life
And I’m trying to escape it in time
In time

But I didn’t have the strength to try
I didn’t even think to
Didn’t know why
Thought I had to take it
Didn’t think I could escape it
Thought this was what fate dealt out for me

If I knew you saw me when I went under the wheels
Laying down and waiting for the crushing I would feel

I would’ve called you
I would’ve called you
I would’ve called you for help
'Cause God knows I can't save myself


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 2600
Reviews: 127

Donate
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:04 pm
View Likes
mythh says...



Man.. I love your voice. Even though I'm more like a rap artist. This is really the kind of music I can relate to day and night. KEEP SINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!




soundofmind says...


Aw, thanks Gravitem!



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 405
Reviews: 54

Donate
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:50 pm
View Likes
PlainandSimple says...



Ok.

Sorry for reviewing twice but oh man. You are such a fabulous singer! You need a lot more recognition. I love where you add your voice in a higher-pitched manner, it sounds so beautiful. The guitar in the back is planning beautiful. Honestly, this song really hits hard. I literally almost cried. The ending really just brings it all together. I have no words :)

<3




soundofmind says...


Aww, thanks for the review(s)! I'm glad you enjoyed the song so much! :)



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 405
Reviews: 54

Donate
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:44 pm
View Likes
PlainandSimple wrote a review...



Hello!

After writing this review I will 100% be listening to your recording. This is actually really inspiring because you went all the way! What I mean by that is you wrote the song which some people do, but then you went even farther to record it! I haven't looked into your profile yet, but I will. I hope to find more lyrics there since you are really good at making them (and I'm assuming singing them). Great job! Keep up the amazing work!

Can't wait to read/listen to more <3

_ From your friend,
@PlainandSimple _




User avatar
560 Reviews


Points: 30438
Reviews: 560

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:43 pm
View Likes
Tenyo wrote a review...



So pretty! I really like how each verse adds more context to the verse and kind of changes the meaning slightly. The concept is really interesting.

I'd say it might be worth altering the lyircs to avoid some of the repetitions, like the 'but I had / but I didn't', 'do you love / do you see', 'didn't even / didn't know / didn't think'. While repetition can be powerful in a song it's good to save it for the most impactful parts, otherwise it dilutes the quality.

As with your other works, your composition and harmonies are beautiful. There's a part at about 02:16 where there is a very quiet harmony and then that sudden addition of the higher pitch that sounds amazing.

Good job!




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 13

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:35 am
View Likes
Tere5350 wrote a review...



Hi,

Wow. I was awed from reading the first four lines. They were both powerful and heartbreaking, and although I wasn't the person who watched the narrator died, I still felt the guilt from just reading them.

Can we discuss the context of this? I just want to know the deeper meaning of this and I am not sure if I had deciphered it correctly.

So, the narrator had a dream that she or he was watching her sister standing in front of a moving truck, right? The narrator decides to push the sister away from the truck just in time before she got hit, but then he or she didn't have time to save herself (or himself). What strikes me as strange was why did you only want to call for help only when there is someone watching? Normally, well for me that is, crying for help would come naturally when you are in danger. What I perceived from this is that maybe the narrator was accepting her/his fate. However, the person who happened to be looking at the incident was his/her significant other. Therefore, he/she, who might have doubted the other onlooker's love, would call out for help to see if the onlooker was willing to sacrifice his life for the sake of love.

So is this just about testing the other person's love or is it more? Or is it that I am just overthinking like always? :)

Please keep up the awesome work!

Tere.




soundofmind says...


Hey Tere! Thank you so much for your review! I love reading other people's interpretations of my work, and you really got the essence of what it's all about! It's a song of reflection on a time where the narrator felt helpless and accepted their fate. But looking back, wished it turned out different and realized someone was available to be a lifeline but didn't help them. The chorus is a result of that wish to have been saved when they didn't have the strength to save themself. It's not necessarily about love, really - the person looking on while they got run over could be anybody. A friend, a family member - anyone who could've helped but didn't.

But yeah! I based the song on an actual dream I had but turned it into more of a metaphor, and that metaphor is open to however people hear it through the lens of their personal experience. :)



Tere5350 says...


Ohhh I see. Thank you for the clarification.



User avatar


Points: 224
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:17 am
View Likes
Ruthie wrote a review...



Here is my first review.....

I really enjoyed listening to you singing this song, and readingit. It was very sad and left me impressed. I liked the way you used repetition to really make your point. Your voice is so beautiful and I love the melody. I also liked it when you harmonized. It was really beautiful. You have so much talent and I can't wait to see what other songs you make in the future!




soundofmind says...


Thanks so much for the review Ruthie! Imm glad you liked the song!




Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help