The Lost Dragon 7.3

by soundofmind

Chapter 7 Part 3: I Miss My People and I Missed Their History

Matt leaned forward and looked at her closely, resting his hands above his knees. The movement intimidated her, and she wanted to shrink back under the scrutiny of his gaze. In that moment, she wished she could swallow back all of the words she'd said in the last minute if it meant she could be invisible. The moment she met his eyes she looked away. He didn't seem like he was judging her in a cruel way, but she was terrified he wouldn't understand.

"Has no one told you? That they're gone?" he asked. His voice was worlds kinder than she'd anticipated, and for some reason that made her stomach drop.

He had never seemed to be a very harsh person in the first place, but he seemed like he was being very intentional to be gentle about it, and that made her nervous. What if he knew something she didn't? But she had to know for sure.

"I -I know that they're gone," she confirmed with a nod of her head. "I mean, of course they are. I checked. I know they're not around, and I mean, I guess I wouldn't expect things to be exactly the same after 100 years. But I'm just wondering like - well I guess I've never really gotten the whole story. It's not like there are classes for this stuff. Or I mean, well, there weren't for me. No one sat down and explained it all to me. I just know bits and pieces from what I've heard. Like, people hate mages now but I don't know why? What did they - o-or I mean we - ever do to people? And why exactly did the guilds shut down? I know the what but I don't know the why, and I mean, I've always been kind of afraid to ask... everyone seems to have a slightly different perspective."

She stared down into her lap and twiddled her thumbs, restlessly wishing she had a way to rid herself of the nervous energy coursing through her. She didn't think she had to tell Matt how nervous she was. He could probably just feel it radiating off her or something.

When she looked up, Matt was the one staring into his lap, down at the ground. She waited for what felt like ages, but in reality, was only a few seconds.

"Do you - do you know? What happened?"

Matt looked up at her, slowly. "Yes. I just... well, all I know is just what I've been told in history books and what's been told by word of mouth. My parents were born at the tail end of the calamity, so they didn't remember much of the details, but my grandparents told 'em a lot. Books filled in the details."

Clandestine watched him closely, already hanging on to every word. He stopped, and she couldn't tell why. She met his eyes with a desperate insistence.

"You wanna know everything?" he asked.

"Everything," she said, without hesitation. "Well - everything you know, anyways."

Matt raised his eyebrows and leaned back on the tree with a sigh. He lifted up his hat and ran a hand through his messy hat hair, and she briefly took note of how fluffy and soft it seemed to be despite being in a hat all day. When he set his hat down beside him she noted how his hair was longer in front than in the back, with bangs that almost fell over his eyes.

Then she remembered again how he was about to tell her about the guilds, and she felt the need to shake her head as if to clear it, but instead just held tightly to the corners of her jacket, releasing tension in the tightness of her grip.

"I guess... it's hard to talk about the guilds without talkin' about the calamity, 'cause it was like the trigger that brought about a lot of the change. About 100 years ago, there was a massive forest fire that spread for miles and miles. It burned for close to a month 'r something before it finally died out naturally if I remember right. No one really knew how it started for sure, but people 'round the earth all agreed it was unnatural. That's about when it got pinned on some fire mages, but the devastation from the fire was just the start of it. After the fire there started bein' earthquakes all over the continent. Tsunamis washin' over the isles, volcanoes erupting in the east, filling the air with ash. Lakes and well-water was gettin' contaminated by magical substances making people sick, along with all sorts of strange new magical plants growing out of the earth. Monsters seemed to get more powerful and hostile too. Everything was just a mess from what I hear in the stories. In a matter of months, civilizations collapsed, and humanity fell into mass confusion. People were thinkin' it was the end of the world. Started saying that the mages who started the fire doomed the entire world, angered the magic within, brought its wrath to the surface. The idea that mages were responsible for it started really spreading, and soon it came to be that mages were hated among most people.

"The calamity lasted almost 20 years before it started to die down. Another 20 somethin' years later, Blackfield - now King Blackfield of the Moonlight Kingdom in the South - started gaining influence. He was young at the time, but very charismatic. Humans were finally starting to inch towards recovery after years of being scattered and struggling to survive, and there was a lot of pain and anger amongst them. It was hard to unify them around something after two decades of lawlessness and chaos. But he managed to rally most of the surviving humans together to further the cause of what he called justice. He believed to make things right they had to eliminate the wrong... and that meant punishing the mages who everyone at that point, believed were the reason for the world's pain."

Clandestine could feel her heart sink deeper and deeper into the pit of her stomach as Matt continued to speak. She could tell that Matt was spoon-fed the information and probably only given it from one side. But to hear that mages were demonized and blamed for the woes of the world - which in all her understanding sounded like they were out of everyone's control - she couldn't wrap her mind around it. She didn't want to believe it. If there had been that kind of mob mentality... that rage and pain pinned on the mages... then...

"Since the Monster Hunting guilds were schools for mages in their own right, the guilds were targeted. From there, it was pretty simple. Mages either vowed to never use their magic or were killed, or imprisoned. They fought back, of course, but after the waves of disasters, they were far outnumbered. Many, many lost their lives. Mages who weren't killed or captured went into hiding, and after the crusades, continued to hide and fear for their lives because that's when the people who hunted them created their own guild. Instead of being called Monster Hunter Guilds... it was Mage Hunter Guilds."

Matt paused for a long time, and the two sat silently in the weight of the loss.

Clandestine wasn't sure how to feel. On the one hand, it wasn't new to her that they were gone. But it was new to her that they were massacred for being mages, and that they didn't just die over the past 100 years due to old age like she would've assumed.

Yet at the same time, it was as if it confirmed everything she knew. She should've died with them. Not just because she was never supposed to live for 100 years in the first place, but because she should have been killed with them. And if she hadn't been killed with them, she should have died with them in hiding.

She wished she could cry, but there were no tears coming to her eyes. All she felt was a hollow emptiness in her chest, and her face felt frozen into a solemn frown. You asked for this, she tried to remind herself. You wanted to know why. Now you know why! But the truth wasn't anything like she'd hoped for. She began to turn away.

"I'm sorry," Matt whispered quietly.

Clandestine stopped and looked back at him. She reached out and pat his knee. "Thank you... for telling me," she whispered back with a voice void of emotion. "Maybe... you should go to sleep now for a bit. Then I can sleep again if goblins don't wake us first."

Matt was quiet, but he nodded ever so slightly. He slumped down at the base of the tree and stared out into the forest. Clandestine looked away before he closed his eyes. She just wanted to curl up in a ball and die.

And she wasn't just being dramatic.

--

Clandestine has known great loss.

It is a wonder in this world, that someone as innocent and pure as she would still exist in spite of such a tragedy.

If ever I thought my life unfair, I was wrong. Nothing can compare to this.

DreamyAlice says...

I have a question Was this novel a roleplay or something?

soundofmind says...

hhahaa can you tell? It was originally, but this is the attempt at novelizing. Why do you ask?

DreamyAlice says...

Maybe because of some Carina's comments

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Carina says...

awwww :( poor clanny ;-;

but also the (one-sided) history lesson do be interesting doe

soundofmind says...

EDUCATION!!! SADUCATION!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am

I am running out of interesting things to write here..uhh...chapter 7 doth be finished.

First Impression: Well that was a whole bunch of backstory dumped on us in one chapter. Seemed almost a bit too much. Right after the big fight with the goblins a history just obstructs the flow a bit. It just felt a little too detailed.

Isn't that why she asked the question in the first place? Feels like a question that he wouldn't ask.

What about like...uhh... a history book? Has she never read one of those?

Yaa here you mention there were books as well. So seems like a visit to the library could've really helped out Clandestine there. That sort of calamity would've been pretty well documented. Sure it might have been a bit biased but there would have been useful facts that she could've easily obtained. And didn't her mysterious cowboy guy have the ability to tell her any of this. This whole thing feels a bit too much like it's set up just to give us a big ol' history lesson.

So somehow they managed to defeat all of the magic users. So were they like lower in population or something. Seems like the magic users would've had some good advantages.

Clandestine has known great loss.

Is this like an author's note? Or is this Matt? This one breaks the immersion a bit with its placement.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: As I said earlier felt like a forced history lesson. That being said, the emotion from Clandestine was pretty spot on. And it sounds like a really interesting history.

Omni wrote a review...

Yo, alright let’s go! I want this momentum to keep up! I feel like we’re gonna get some more exposition, and this time about the world at large. Let’s see if I’m right XD Once again, I love the chapter title here. It’s just such a good one, and it’s not funny, it’s just sad and I feel sorry for Clandestine.

I’ve been there Clandestine. Where I wish I could erase everything I just said and hide myself for the rest of eternity because what I said was so stupid! Oh also, yeah she’s totally falling for him. Like, I get she has ADD but who comments on how fluffy and soft someone’s hair looks? ShE IS SO FALLING FOR HIM

So the mages totally weren’t to blame for the Calamity, right? Or perhaps they actually were but I don’t believe that for a second. It sounds like there was a lot of climate change happening, or that the world was going through a rough year environmentally wise. I know that one horribly placed earthquake here on earth can set a supervolcano off and send the earth into an ash-covered ice age, so some things just happen. But, of course, when humans are scared then they start placing blame on things. Humans want to know why something happened, not just how. And back when science was just flourishing, people usually placed the why on other people. I mean, I’m sure magic itself doesn’t help that cause lol.

Ooh, I wonder if there are any Mage hunter guilds that still exist? That could be a plot line that happens. And wow, James actually pities her. That’s a change for him. It seems like he was very much the kind to pity himself and try to protect himself. Honestly, I feel sorry for Clandestine, too. She’s been through so much, and now she’s in a time that doesn’t want her, and she doesn’t want them. I wonder why she was put in that coffin, though? Is she special? OOH DID SHE START THE FIRE? That would be a plot twist if I’d ever seen one.

Can’t wait to read more!

soundofmind says...

So the mages totally weren%u2019t to blame for the Calamity, right? Or perhaps they actually were but I don%u2019t believe that for a second.

;)

ALSO WOW LOL I'm loving how.. . salty u are @ James. "WOW JAMES U ACTUALLY FEEL PITY" HaHAHAhAHAh I'm, , ,, crying. James isn't THAT HEARTLESS

Also wow Clandestine starting the fire? That's a wild theory. Wish I thought of that. But does Clandestine really need that extra guilt piled onto her if she ever found that out?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:03 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again!! Found another poor segment hiding out in the back of the green room that needs to be freed :)

I'm obviously missing the context about why she doesn't already know this information seeing as it pertains to people like her, but it feels like a convenient way to tell the reader all of the background world information :) There was a lot of blocks of dialogue and to me it felt like a disguised info-dump.

It's hard to say without the context of the whole plot to know if this information is critical to know for the story. It's definitely interesting information and it definitely sheds light on why things are the way they are. But, does it have any relevance for what the characters have to do now? Beyond setting the stage and explaining the context, will the main mission still make sense without this info?

If you decide it has to be there, I would try to break up the dialogue a lot more so it feels more like a conversation and less like an info-dump. More back and forth, more descriptions woven into the dialogue, maybe even a task or something they're doing while this conversation is happening to weave it into the story a little more.

I liked her introspection at the end about what all of this means to her, and I wouldn't mind a little more of that. (but i love inner monologue and introspection).

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:30 pm
mellifera wrote a review...

hey sound!! guess who's finally hopping around for some more?? <3 Let's go!

He had never seemed to be a very harsh person in the first place, but he seemed like he was being very intentional to be gentle about it,

So, normally I don't point this out much, but I wanted to because "very" is a filler word and you used it twice so close together? I wouldn't use it at all, but that's also just a little editing thing. I don't think either of these places need them- you could get the image you want across without either of them.

I've always been kind of afraid to ask... everyone seems to have a slightly different perspective."

This kind of caught my attention? Does Clanny know this then from having heard it being talked about? If she was too afraid to ask, how does she know then? I had assumed she hadn't asked because she has magic and didn't want to be discovered.

I also?? absolutely love that, instead of being entirely cynical, grumpy, and mistrustful of everyone, Clanny wants friends. She's a small, nervous lil bean!! she just needs help!! but I love that she's not all like, brOODY and growly about her life and instead she's just,, trying her best!! I love her!!

She met his eyes with a desperate insistence.

I think I've noticed this several times (or maybe I haVEN'T and I'm a lIAR but this uses just the emotion to describe her expression? Which is fine, but how does Clanny express this? Widened, pleading eyes? A raised brow? Does that make sense?

He lifted up his hat and ran a hand through his messy hat hair, and she briefly took note of how fluffy and soft it seemed to be despite being in a hat all day.

I'm hERE for fuzzy, soft hair. I love it. messy hair, feed it to me. not but, APPEARANCE wise not,,,, please don't feed me ACTUAL hair haha thanks.

and that meant punishing the mages who everyone at that point, believed were the reason for the world's pain."

OKAY this took me a few tries to read with the punctuation missing? Like, the lines sort of bleed together in a way that doesn't make sense? I'd just, be aware of that, yeah?

Instead of being called Monster Hunter Guilds... it was Mage Hunter Guilds."

This is? really sad? This used to be a part of Clanny's life, or at least, it was a big part of the world when she was growing up, yeah? And now it's turned against her and that's,, really heartbreaking to hear that.

She reached out and pat his knee.

I also love this little detail? At this point, it's clear she just, really likes touch? I'm not sure if this is more instinctive or if this is comforting to her, because it doesn't seem to have an affect on her right now, but still?? I love it.

MY GIRL!! CLANNY!!! she deserves soft things and I want to hug her. she needs help and a friend. she's out here trying her hardest!! she just needs a break!

I'm really excited that we got to hear about the calamity and all. I mean! it's really sad and it's a horrible thing for people to have turned on mages like that and stuff, but I love hearing the backstory? I'm also kind of wondering if Clandestine is trying to hold onto a familiar piece from her past by being a Monster Hunter? I don't know how common of a practise it is nowadays, but I'm kinda wondering that now. Why did she become a Monster Hunter? Was it just the first thing that seemed to work for her? Or was it because she knew about it from before? I have Thoughts now... (:

also I'm pretty convinced now that the italicised sections are, in fact, a lil james boy

Okay! That's all I have for today! Ayy I'm super excited to catch up and find out what's going on now <333 I probably should have mentioned how much dialogue there is but honestly, it didn't bother me, and I know this is only a part of a chapter and there was action beforehand and all that...anyway, yes! Good chapter, and I can't wait to come back for more :D

I hope you're having a wonderful time!! <3

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much again for your reviews mel!! BLESS YOU FOR YOUR HELPFUL ADVICE AND COMMENTARY.

Does Clanny know this then from having heard it being talked about? If she was too afraid to ask, how does she know then?

This probably wasn't as clear as I could've made it, but the quote you quoted was in reference to her saying: "I just know bits and pieces from what I've heard." She hasn't asked anyone outright, but she's pieced together stuff here and there. But it's all very unorganized and unclear, and she was aware that the people she was hearing the information from were biased. Of course, that's not to say Matt isn't biased, but she feels a little more comfortable asking b/c he didn't freak @ her magic and stuff, and also thinks b/c of that that he might have a diff perspective that could clear things up.

BUT ASHDgsjklghflk I lov,,, hearing you gush about Clanny. MY HEART IS FULL. I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVE HER. She really is just trying her best%u2122.

Also:
I'm also kind of wondering if Clandestine is trying to hold onto a familiar piece from her past by being a Monster Hunter?

....yes but whether that's the only reason or part of the reason I'll wait for you to figure out I guess haha

I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae