The Lost Dragon 39

by soundofmind

Chapter 39: A Dying Wish

The halls stretched on and on, and the palace was just starting to come to life. Firelight still flickered off the walls as the faint morning light started seeping in through the windows. Carter had returned to his uniform - silver-plated armor with the kingdom's crest on the chest plate; a half-moon crescent and two branches framing it, with a banner weaving through.

He passed a few guards stationed at main entryways, switching out with the morning shift, and marching off to rest. Carter passed by many guards and servants as he worked his way up two long flights of stairs, and marched to the end of the hall, to the king's chambers.

Standing outside his chamber doors was Officer Salazar, a woman he'd worked alongside for years. She stood a few inches taller than him, with long black hair pulled cleanly into a bun at the back of her head. She met his eyes and bowed her head and brought her fist to her chest as a formal salute, tapping her hand against her armor.

"It's a bit early for a visit, Commander Haddon," she said quietly, keeping her voice down.

Carter smiled a little and bowed his head in return.

"I have good news," he said, leaning in and whispering.

Salazar and the guard on the opposite side of the double doors leaned in.

"Tell the other officers it's time," he said.

As he pulled away he met Salazar's eyes and saw awe, anticipation, and understanding. She nodded.

"Theon, keep post," she said to the other guard, who nodded and straightened up, while Salazar started down the hall.

Carter pushed up against the double doors with no more interruptions.

The long, dark red curtains over the tall windows were still pulled closed, shrouding the room in darkness. The only lamp lit was one at the far end of the room, at the king's bedside.

It was a large bed. Far, far too big for a sickly old man - or anyone for that matter - but still, he laid in it, swallowed up by white and gold sheets layered one atop the other. A dozen pillows surrounded his head, and a few propped him up so he was leaning back, with his head and shoulders elevated. The king sat with his eyes half-open, and his hands extended loosely at his sides, palms up, with one hand twitching ever-so slightly.

He was awake, but he didn't look well. He never did these days.

Carter strode across the padded carpets until he was at Blackfield's bedside. He pulled up a small, cushioned stool that nurses often used when tending to Blackfield and checking on him.

Blackfield turned his head to see him, his eyes wrinkling up and his wide mouth turning into a small smile.

"You came back," he said. "Does that mean--?"

"Yes," Carter said, meeting the king's eyes with a smile as hopeful and full of meaning as the king would expect. "I killed the dragon. And as always, I pledge my loyalty to you."

A tear fell down Blackfield's cheek, and Carter smiled.

This was going well, so far.

"I knew I could trust you," the king replied, with his lips trembling. "Finally. Finally, I can pass on in peace, knowing that the kingdom is in good hands."

Carter held his expression, but that was almost an insult to his daughter, Eliza, who was an intelligent woman and had studied for years under his rule. He felt he knew what the king was implying.

The king reached for Carter with his trembling hand, and Carter took it and held it between his.

"I want you," the king said, with an emphasis on each word. "To inherit my crown."

Carter creased his forehead and shook his head in protest.

"No..."

Yes.

"What are you saying?" he asked.

"When I pass on... which, as the doctors tell me, may be very soon," the kind replied. "I will have the crown passed to you. It's written down, closed with my seal."

All this time, Blackfield built up a whole system of power meant to silence and kill people with magic. And here he was, handing the crown to someone he thought now had some. Someone he thought was a dragon, but one with all of Blackfield's intents in mind.

Carter smiled sadly, and tears came to his eyes.

"Not Eliza?" he asked.

"She never wanted the burden of the crown," Blackfield said slowly.

Even Carter knew that wasn't true.

"I want to relieve her of that responsibility," the king said.

It was a good thing the king's bias played in his favor, though.

Carter squeezed Blackfield's hands and wiped a tear from his eyes before turning to the front door.

"Theon!" he shouted. He could already see Blackfield's confusion in the corner of his eyes. "Quick! Someone get a doctor! The king is fading! Someone help! Get Eliza!"

Footsteps patted quickly outside the door.

Carter turned back to the king, still holding Blackfield's hand firmly.

"Don't worry," Carter cooed. "This won't even hurt a little."

The king stared at Carter wide-eyed, realization dawning on him.

"No," the king whispered.

"Don't worry," Carter said, lowering his voice as he leaned forward. "The kingdom is in good hands now."

Carter pulled the king's hand closer, putting two fingers on the king's wrist.

With a deep breath, he reached out, feeling for the king's energy. Down the veins, up the arm, into the heart.

It was a weak life force. Like a flickering flame, barely breathing. Eating away at the ashes, just one small breath away from being blown out. It would be so easy. With just a little pull... to snuff it out.

Carter closed his eyes just for a second, remembering what Anna taught him all those years ago.

"Healing magic is a two-sided coin," she said.

"It really shouldn't even be called healing magic, because it's more than that.

People with your magic have the ability not just to give, but to take.

You have to be careful how you do it, and how much, and how often, but if you learn how to pull away and leave someone at the tipping point between life and death, all they need is a little push one way or another. And you get to decide.

It's a big responsibility.

Use it wisely. Use it carefully."

Carter drew out Blackfield's energy, like a small drop of water from a faucet, and he felt it transfer to him. Blackfield released his last breath, and his hand went limp. Carter laid it back on the bed.

Then the doors to the chambers flew open, and Eliza came running in.

Her golden blonde hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail, and she had a long shawl pulled over her nightgown. She wasn't even wearing shoes.

She came running up to the bed, and Carter got to his feet and backed away to let Eliza sit on the side of the bed next to her father. She grabbed his hand and shook his shoulders, but it was too late. He was gone.

"I'm so sorry. If I had only gotten here soon--"

"I'm too late," Eliza choked, leaning forward, with her head resting against her father's shoulder.

Carter turned to leave.

"I can leave you alone--"

Eliza's arm darted out and grabbed Carter's hand.

"No." She said firmly. "I..."

Carter stayed still.

He could understand why she wouldn't want to be alone.

Eliza let go of his hand and tucked her arm under her father, cradling him.

"Stay," Eliza whispered.

Carter glanced at the doors, where one still stood open. Salazar had returned, and they made eye contact, just for a moment. Salazar nodded.

That was all Carter needed.

"I will," Carter replied, and he sat beside Eliza on the edge of the bed while she started to weep softly.

Carina says...

wh.... wha--

I FREAKING KNEW IT IM SCREEEEEMING CARTER IS A SBXHNSNXBHCBSNMA

veeren wrote a review...

WHATS HAPPENING SOUNDY LONG TIME NO SEE JK I KNOW WHAT YOURE THINKING WHEN WILL THE TORTURE END BUT IM HERE TO TELL U IT NEVER WILL

OK now lets get to the chapter.

so if i told you that this is one of the chapters i dreaded reading the most it has nothing to do with you or your ability to write, but it's actually because i would rather stick pins in my eyes than have to read about carter and his life. THAT BEING SAID i understand how necessary this is to advance the plot and further my hate for that mole rat.

while i knew this was bound to happen, or at least something like it, the fact that he had ALREADY staged a plan to murder the king and steal the throne WITH the other soldiers still manages to disgust me. blackfield himself is equally as disgusting, so me feeling bad about his death never happened, but that's for other reasons. part of me wonders what would have happened if blackfield never told carter that it was already written in law that he would become the next king. would carter still kill him? forge some documents? i'd believe it.

as much as i despised reading it, you did an excellent job at showing the inner workings of carters mind, yet again. if we (YES ME) already hated him we did then now we hated him even more not possible. i feel like antagonists with redeeming qualities are overrated and carter is not one that has given us any reason to feel sorry for him, at least not YET.

AND THERE IS THE BEAUTIFUL FORESHADOWING. to find out that carter has magic?? PLOT TWIST. of all the ways i could have expected this to happen this was DEFINITELY not on my list. you are once again displaying your amazing ability to throw a curveball in any direction and keep the readers on their toes and i am HERE for it.

but that's all for this chapter carter must die I'LL SEE U IN THE NEXT ONE

veer here veer there veer everywhere

soundofmind says...

so if i told you that this is one of the chapters i dreaded reading the most it has nothing to do with you or your ability to write, but it's actually because i would rather stick pins in my eyes than have to read about carter and his life.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

no redeeming qualities for carter, we [you, also me] hate him!!

I'm so glad u enjoyed the foreshadowing of carter's magic and everything!! obviously, not a good thing for anyone he knows, but great for him! LOL

Shady says...

kill.

soundofmind says...

i can feel the murderous rage in this chilis tonight

Shady wrote a review...

Sound! Back again! Let's get started!

HE IS SO SLIMY I HATE HIM SO MUCH. sound. Murder. It's the only option here. Three chapters left. You can make this happen. You NEED to make this happen.

This is utterly predictable. But I still hate it. So, so much.

Even Carter knew that wasn't true.

Hate them bothhhhhh

"No," the king whispered.

Come on, Big Man, we all saw this one coming. Carter is like Bad Man Stereotype Incarnate. But you know what? You deserve to die for letting him be like this, and for hurting Clandestine, so I'm not even gonna feel bad for you.

This is a really interesting system that you set up, though! I think your healing magic seems somewhat similar to the system I've set up in my own novel, but it never occurred to me that it could be used in reverse, to /hurt/ people instead of healing them. I feel like that's not a common twist for healing magic and I really like how it worked out here!

Like I mentioned above, this did feel a WEE bit predictable. Bad Man Lies To King; King Lets Him Inherit Throne; Bad Man Murders King

But, that's not necessarily a bad thing? Maybe if you go back to revise this, then work on playing this up a bit more? Like... idk. It feels like everything played out so perfectly. I'm guessing from the head nod and all that, Salazar was in on this whole scheme and that was her confirmation that he was sealed in as heir so he doesn't need to murder the princess now and all that jazz.

But, like... idk, it seemed a little TOO convenient, you know? The right guard just so happened to be there. The king just so happened to be awake and also on the brink of death. Carter killed him juuuust before the princess got there. It was getting a teeny bit close to trope-y but also I get this was end of NaNo and I TOTALLY get that so not a critique so much as an observation.

Hope this helps!

~Shady 8)

Schadenfreude and Fahrvergnügen

soundofmind says...

But, like... idk, it seemed a little TOO convenient, you know? The right guard just so happened to be there. The king just so happened to be awake and also on the brink of death. Carter killed him juuuust before the princess got there. It was getting a teeny bit close to trope-y

hahahaahahahaha *laughs wearily* yes .. .. yes u right lol
one day I will resurrect with energy to fix this but holy moly i def was burnt out and didn't have energy to drag this out any longer, so I made convenient things convenient for poopoo man

would be interesting if I made it harder for him yes yes

BLESS u for ur reviews AGAIN!!!!!

SilverNight wrote a review...

Ah, Review Day is fun! What a perfect opportunity to keep reading this story. :)

For some reason, I always like it when writers use light to set the scene at the start of a chapter. To me, it never gets old! It's a great way to slide in some imagery and details. I liked seeing about what the kingdom crest looked like as well!

Evil scheme? There's a strong malicious feeling that comes with this passage. I don't trust Carter, but I would trust him to have an evil scheme. I'd actually be quite shocked if he didn't!

I couldn't be seeing the room more clearly if I was seeing it through Carter's eyes! The details are all perfect and vivid.

This was going well, so far.

Lies. Well, I think I see what Carter's doing here... King Blackfield just might be more gullible than I expected he would be! And I didn't see that tear coming, either, so possibly more emotional as well.

"No..."

Yes.

"What are you saying?" he asked.

I love how his thoughts are contradicting his words-- it's a great way to state what he wants. Also... well, Carter's a dragon? Or maybe an inheritor? I didn't see that coming, but that's what makes this reveal so great!

"Not Eliza?" he asked.

Even Carter knew that wasn't true.

If this is going where I think it's going, Blackfield definitely should have gone with Eliza. :P

"No," the king whispered.

Oh my goodness, this is so ominous... I could feel myself shivering a bit!

It's a big responsibility.

Use it wisely. Use it carefully."

The recalled dialogue was really great here! I remember what Mel said about healers drawing from another life source, how it could drive them mad. Carter is crazy, confirmed. But the implication that there's more to his ability than just that (or more to healing magic in general) is really exciting and interesting!

"Stay," Eliza whispered.

That was all Carter needed.

Oooh, I like the wicked eye contact. But poor Eliza! :c I don't know much about her yet, but I hope that we'll see more of her later (I think I might have heard you're planning a sequel!), since she might be more important soon!

Just two more chapters! I can't wait to read them. <3

soundofmind says...

Also... well, Carter's a dragon? Or maybe an inheritor? I didn't see that coming, but that's what makes this reveal so great!

NO DON'T LISTEN TO HIM HE LIES

also huhuhuhu love reading your thoughts on carter and his evil plans :)

HONORED THAT I COULD GIVE U SHIVERS LOL

LadyMysterio wrote a review...

Hello, Lady Mysterio here!
*gasp, am I reviewing another one of your chapters again! (finally lol)
Unrelated but ahhh my teeth hurt so much right now bc I finally put my retainer back in.

Alrighty, review time! I like how you have different chapters told through the perspectives of different characters. I find that I prefer stories like that bc it helps me to get to know each character so well.

i would suggest taking away the least part of this sentence, it doesn't seem to fit.

He pulled up a small, cushioned stool that nurses often used when tending to Blackfield and checking on him.

the
and checking on him

ohmygosh did carter just kill the king. i feel like I need to go back and read the other chapters for context.
On a side note I like the way you put his thoughts in during that part.

Aside from my mild shock this was a pretty good chapter!
Have a good day!
-Lady

soundofmind says...

oh geez how did i not reply to this
FORGIVE FORGIVEEE!!! ME!!!

BLESS U FOR YOUR REVIEW and yes, carter did that... rip the king

It takes as much imagination to create debt as to create income.
— Leandro Orr